MirGSS' "Burninating the Challenge" Challenge

Morrigainz

Okay, nerds!

It's for real this time. I don't have any more good excuses (beyond "I am le tired"). I want to lose the non-baby bump. And get strong again. I can't believe how far I've slid down the path of slothfulness in just a few short months.

Unfortunately this isn't going to be a really INTERESTING challenge...pretty much in line with most of my recent ones. I'm still struggling with the habit-building, but I'm hoping now that school's over, I've settled into my work routine, and I DON'T HAVE FREAKING FOOD POISONING, things will change.

Hokay, so. Here's the challenge.

1. GET FIT. (+3 STR, +2 CHA)

Okay, so that's pretty general, but that's what I've got. Ideally I'd like to lift (starting Wendler's 531) 3-4x a week, and run 3 days a week. I don't know if that's biting off too much to chew. I know I tried this before and I burned myself out, but I was also in school then, so we'll see if I can make things be different this time. Overall, I will give myself an A if I manage to exercise 3x a week (and exercise = running, lifting, swimming, biking, or hiking for multiple miles, none of this "I walked a mile at lunch!" or "I cleaned the house today!" nonsense).

If anyone has suggestions or encouragement re: running AND lifting, that would be awesome. Because I've never found a way to do both.

2. GET HEALTHY. (+3 WIS)

This is going to be a challenging one. I want to try at least one new recipe a week that a) is easy and quick to make (getting home around 6 pm this time of year is like a death sentence for eating healthy), B) my husband will eat, c) is nutritious and filling, hopefully with leftovers I can take to lunch.

I want to cut out fast food also, but I feel like this might be setting myself up for failure. I'll have to think about it over the weekend.

3. GET SKINNY. (+2 STA)

I know "skinny" is a 4-letter word around here, but let me explain. First, I don't really have a third diet/fitness goal. I think my first two are generic and all-encompassing enough. Second, with the first two, the third should, in theory, follow (to some extent). Third, and this is the big one, I DON'T FIT INTO MY GODDAMN WORK CLOTHES. I have a HORRIBLE non-baby bump, and I had to go out and buy bigger pants because I only had 1 pair that fit me. Which, frankly, is ridiculous. Can you tell I'm kind of pissed at myself?

4. GET FRUGAL. (+5 something something I'll figure it out in a minute)

Some of you saw my FB post on how much to use as "mad money" every month. Some of you know that I just graduated college and have my first Real Job and I'm struggling with not spending all my money on stupid crap. I bought myself one nice present (a Bose SoundDock I can use in the kitchen while doing dishes) and I intended that to be it, but then I bought other clothes when I got the pants, and then I bought my husband some nice contoured floor mat things for his new car...etc. I don't want that to get out of control. 

So my plan is to take out a certain amount of cash each pay period/month (amount to be determined), and use that for miscellaneous stuff like eating out, going out with friends, clothes, movies, etc. I'm still not sure what a good amount is. I'm in pretty good shape financially (aside from my student loans) but I also want to save money now while my expenses are so low. So, I have a few days to think about that.

Okay, that was long-winded. I miss my nerds :( It sucks that I actually have a real job now so I can't, you know, spend all my work time on the forums. And Skyrim...oh, Skyrim. It is taking up most of my non-work time.

• Like 1

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Yay Mir!!! Excellent goals, and fingers crossed nothing throws a wrench in it like last challenge.

As much as you can, I would use your Sundays to prep things in advance for the week. It'll suck that day, but if all you have to do is reheat somethign healthy when you get home instead of forcing yourself to prep, it *should* be easier to stick to the no fast food thing.

On the money thing, my husband and I each have a "Stuff" budget for the month. This is where funds come from that go towards things like clothes, movies, books, spa treatment, internet sports viewing subscriptions, etc. We don't do cash, but we do update our budget spreadsheet throughout the month so we know how close to our targets we are. Ideally we won't use all of it, and it gives us somethign to keep us in line with overall goals. No idea what your financial situation is like, but we have ours at $150 each. Helps put on brakes when we see we're too close to the limit, so I don't bankrupt us on Amazon.

Although I don't really do much running with my lifting, I did used to do both, and the trick for ME was shorter distances because my legs had to recover a lot. So if I wanted to do anything legs, my legs had to be recovered from running. I could, however, do squats one day and run the following (but not vice versa). And, again, my distances were normally 1 1/2-3 miles. Mostly 2 miles. So nothing exciting. I generally would lift one day, run the next, rest the following.

Good luck figuring out the budgets! Did someone say Amazon??? :) I love Amazon. It loves me. It's really the healthiest relationship I've ever been in. ;)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

subbed. I feel you on the frugal part. I'm afraid that when I get my first real job I am going to go psycho as well lol. 

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

If anyone has suggestions or encouragement re: running AND lifting, that would be awesome. Because I've never found a way to do both.

(I wrote this the other day but it didn't post for some reason. Yay for restoring autosaved content.)

I've done it -- my suggestion is to schedule all of your workouts.

I had a goal to run 5K without stopping that challenge and I had a schedule where I'd lift every other day and run on specific non-lifting days. I knew every day what I was doing ahead of time, I had a time planned out when I would do it, and I just did what my schedule said. I had discovered in previous challenges that if I didn't specifically decide when I'd do something I didn't normally do I wouldn't do it (so having a 'practice handstands' goal would fail but 'practice handstands on Tuesday' would not) so being really specific helped me out here.

these are awesome goals. 

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I've done it -- my suggestion is to schedule all of your workouts.

As usual, WQ is wise.

Decide how much downtime you are going to need, and then hold yourself to the schedule once you get it set up.  Maybe it's 2x weights per week, 2x runs per week.  Maybe it's one of each + 1 flex workout per week.  My downfall was always that I'd schedule lifting 3x per week and running 3x per week.  This worked for one challenge, but after that life would invariably get in the way and mess me all up and I'd feel like I failed.  Set something up that you can hold yourself to, and really go after it.

Another alternative is just to pick a focus for stretches at a time.  Focus on strength for a while, but squeeze in a run when you can.  Or focus on running for a while, but toss in a few pushups after each run.

In any case, good luck Mir - and don't be a stranger!

The cash in the envelope routine has always worked well for me - though I will admit to having a few mildly embarrassing "do you mind if I pay you in change?" moments towards the end of the month. One thing that also helped me get on track is coming up with a chart of when my various bills and expenses are going to hit. I've got it taped up in my bathroom right next to my calendar so I can see where I am in the month and what's coming down the pipeline.

Good luck with your challenge! 

MyFitnessPal / @RBCalcagno

"Though she be but little, she is fierce!"

Percentage weight lost since 7/3/14

0%
0%

I love all these suggestions. I think I'm going to try to do ALL the exercise, but I'm not going to be mad at myself if I fail.

My problem is that I get hyper-focused...like when I run, I want to RUN...I don't want to run like once a month. And when I lift, I want to LIFT. What I'm thinking is, get in my lifting workout at lunch 3-4 days a week (we'll see what my body can handle), run at night one of those days, and then 2 days on the weekend (I work 4 10-hr days so I get a 3 day weekend :D :D :D).

Yesterday went swimmingly. I did my lifts, they sucked, but it was so good to get back to it. And I think once I get a handle on the routine it won't be so bad. I went long on lunch yesterday but I also had to buy the membership, and that took a few minutes. Here's the routine: change into workout clothes. Run .4 miles to gym. Lift. Run .4 miles back to work. Change. Sweat into my work clothes for the rest of the day. Hooray!

Then last night I must have moved wrong or something because I now have a pinched nerve in my neck. But at least it's taking my mind off how sore the rest of my body is!

I brought my workout stuff today, just in case I decide I want to be extra crazy. But I probably won't.

Also! I think I have a budget plan set up, including mad money for myself. I have an account on mint.com, and I changed around all my budgets and goals and stuff on there, so I'm all set. Given how much I spent this month on stuff though...the *real* budget will start next month.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I also have to tell you guys something that is AWESOME.

So, I went through my entire college career being SO GODDAMN FRUSTRATED that I could never seem to land a scholarship. It pissed me off, frankly. So, I got this weird "reimbursement" from my University at the end of November. I figured for some reason it was a loan disbursement, but I was too busy and stressed to even think about it, and yeah, I could use the money for Xmas and stuff. So I never investigated/said anything. Yesterday, I was looking at my account summary for the last term, and it said I got the "COB Faculty Initiative Scholarship" (which is funded by the COB faculty themselves). Weird that I never got a letter.....

AND! AND!!! I was talking with one of my old professors yesterday and he said that I also got ANOTHER scholarship! Who knows how that works but apparently people who graduated in the previous calendar year are eligible.

So! I ended up with 2 scholarships my last semester of college! I finally feel vindicated, and like my hard work paid off (no, the degree doesn't make me feel like my hard work paid off...isn't that funny?).

Chaze - I think Ze End Of Ze World is my favorite Internet video ever :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I suggest you let your usual awesome carry the day. Oh, and run all the miles and lift all the things but give yourself rest days and lots of rumble roller.

Hmm, or maybe alternate HIIT lifts with running, or, wait. I'm just rambling. *note to self, sleep more before commenting on threads*

Mir, you can do it. Seriously, give yourself rest. Two days a week? You don't have to do it all tomorrow, as long as you can do it all by the end of next month. :tongue:

Milythael Assassin
Challenges:
Intro, 123, 4567, 8 9 10 Current
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,

Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

Well I'm certainly going to give myself time to recover from my session yesterday before doing anything else. So it might be a couple of days...and I'm ok with that. Depending on how the weather is at lunch, I might go for a lil walk :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I hear you on getting hyper-focused. Especially when I start improving on something, it motivates me to keep doing that one thing. So I can totally relate to that.

I can't, however, relate to scholarships because I never got them. So YAYAYAAY for you! You deserve it!

Here's hoping you feel better soon!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines