Train, Maintain, Stay Sane with 18ck

18ck

Well, the mess of Friday was compensated for by a great weekend of family stuff and leaping about. Day/Week summary is...

Daily
Take breaks:  N/A - non-working - total for the week about 50% I would say
Daily exercise: Tons: sculling for 2 hours, plank rows, negative pullups, crow pose - total exercise for the week 6/7
Daily Portuguese: Finished the reading portion of the first L&D chapter and did one exercise. Wrote a few brief messages on italki to Brazilians asking them if they were nerds. Hoped this is not an offensive question to a young Brazilian. Total for the week 6/7

Weekly
3xRTP News: 3
Try a New thing:  Plank rows - performed twice. Next week's new thing will be climbing. That should be funny because I am not great with heights. Anyway, I have booked a taster session on Tuesday night. That'll be a busy day - I'm going to a talk by Anthony Beevor at 2PM and the climbing place is a good hour's hard cycling away, and I still have to fit a full day's work around that. I can manage if I'm up with the proverbial lark but let's hope it's not as full-on as Friday was!
1 short fast run:  Yes. Waffley meditations on running style here if anyone's interested
1 long run:  Double-Dipped!

In Challenge
2x Lathrop and Dias Chapters: 0.5
Week of no caffeine: Done
Dental Appointment:  Booked. 
Steercert:  Test booked for this Sunday. Woo-hoo!
Librivox:  Nope
Give Blood:  Done.
Lose 7lb: Mostly sensible eating - protein and fruit but again with the rhubarb traybake... it's hard losing weight when your wife is a kitchen goddess.  I only had a bit, but still... OK This coming week; Monday to Friday, to shock my system into some actual weight loss, I am going to be ultra-strict with myself and plan carefully to keep myself from getting led astray

Bonus Geekery

Gave my daughter her first coding lesson using Squeak/Smalltalk. We made a button that - when you pressed it - made a head appear and say "poo poo head" in a badly synthesised voice. Very simple (just calling pre-existing bits of code) but she's interested. Next she wants to make a game where you shoot sharks with a gun... hm... I wonder if Squeak has ready-made objects for that too...

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

How about wall based mountain climbers or lateral walks.  Get into the plank with feet on the wall and then do a mountain climber trying to keep body parallel to ground or once in the plank walk sideways for distance each way.  If your feeling especially tough try walking sideways in a crab position!  Hope this is somewhat new and challenging!

My week started lame due to things out of my control, but came on like a lion this weekend.  Keep it up!

Minotaur Assassin

Level 3:

STR 5.5

DEX 3

STA 6

CON 4

WIS 1

CHA 2

Challenge 1, Challenge 2 Shadows Fall Mojo Log

Run for those who want to and cannot.

Bonus Geekery

Gave my daughter her first coding lesson using Squeak/Smalltalk. We made a button that - when you pressed it - made a head appear and say "poo poo head" in a badly synthesised voice. Very simple (just calling pre-existing bits of code) but she's interested. Next she wants to make a game where you shoot sharks with a gun... hm... I wonder if Squeak has ready-made objects for that too...

That's great to be able to share what you do with the kids, when I try to do that, the response is more like "dad, we are past the drawing and coloring in school!"

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Well, the mess of Friday was compensated for by a great weekend of family stuff and leaping about. Day/Week summary is...

Daily

Take breaks:  N/A - non-working - total for the week about 50% I would say

Daily exercise: Tons: sculling for 2 hours, plank rows, negative pullups, crow pose - total exercise for the week 6/7

Daily Portuguese: Finished the reading portion of the first L&D chapter and did one exercise. Wrote a few brief messages on italki to Brazilians asking them if they were nerds. Hoped this is not an offensive question to a young Brazilian. Total for the week 6/7

I, honestly, laughed a little out loud at the visual I got of some poor young Brazilian utterly offended at you asking if they're a nerd... Especially because the word "dork" doesn't always translate correctly in other countries... AND I might have had a similar issue when speaking with one of my German interns. Fun times! :)

Good luck with the climbing and the eating! :)

Halfling Scout - Level One: STR 2, DEX 0, STA 3, CON 2, WIS 3, CHA 5

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God,

to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."

Romans 12:1

Good luck with the climbing and heights

Thanks. Excited to have a mission today and an excuse to not work all evening!

Great job this week.  And I love the bonus geekery :)  I need to do more geeky things with my kids like that.

Thanks. If you are interested, squeak is here http://www.squeak.org/ - it's quite fun and easy to use, although the UI (window behaviour etc) takes some getting used to

How about wall based mountain climbers or lateral walks.  Get into the plank with feet on the wall and then do a mountain climber trying to keep body parallel to ground or once in the plank walk sideways for distance each way.  If your feeling especially tough try walking sideways in a crab position!  Hope this is somewhat new and challenging!

My week started lame due to things out of my control, but came on like a lion this weekend.  Keep it up!

Yeah, I saw that in your challenge log - it sounds like an impressive end-of-the-week rally. Thanks for the tips - I can see you know a lot of obscure exercises!

That's great to be able to share what you do with the kids, when I try to do that, the response is more like "dad, we are past the drawing and coloring in school!"

Maybe move straight onto the building bit rather than the designing? It might have more scope for excitement...?

I, honestly, laughed a little out loud at the visual I got of some poor young Brazilian utterly offended at you asking if they're a nerd... Especially because the word "dork" doesn't always translate correctly in other countries... AND I might have had a similar issue when speaking with one of my German interns. Fun times! :)

Good luck with the climbing and the eating! :)

Thanks. The Brazilians haven't answered that particular question but I seem to have sparked a debate about words for nerds!

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Yesterday ->

Daily
Take breaks:  Not terrible but could have been better - every so often I got up and walked about a bit
Daily exercise: A ton of pushups and a few situps
Daily Portuguese: Listened to a podcast about Pat Benatar. Yes, really.

Weekly
3xRTP News: o
Try a New thing:  Excited about climbing. And cycling. It's not a great day for a long cycle ride though, apparently - very cold and windy. 
1 short fast run:  No
1 long run: No

In Challenge
2x Lathrop and Dias Chapters: 0.5 
Week of no caffeine: Done 
Steercert:  Test booked for this Sunday. Woo-hoo!
Lose 7lb: Fruit, veg, fruit, veg... a few lentils and a bit of rice. Proper food. Blocked my ears and went "na na na, not listening!" when the leftover traybake was handed round.

Best of luck with the cycling/climbing, today I heard in the news about some bad weather in Europe and thought about you guys (you and Artinum), hope it gets better soon.

german

monkey scout

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Thanks. It's certainly nippy here. I expect the Canadians among us might wonder what all the fuss is about though!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Today ->

Daily
Take breaks:  Not bad but not great. Had intended to spend lunchtime at the National Archive just around the corner listening to Anthony Beevor talking about researching Stalingrad but I didn't manage to get away in the end.
Daily exercise: 2.5 hours of hard cycling, 95 pushups and - tan-ta-raaaa!* climbing up stuff!
Daily Portuguese: RTP News (recession worsening). bit of a podcast (I couldn't really follow it because of the noise** but anything that starts with "a politically incorrect view of..." is likely to be pretty tiresome anyway)

Weekly
3xRTP News: 1
Try a New thing:  I didn't think I would make it but finally tore myself away from work and belted through the suburbs at top scout speed on my bike to get to the taster session at the climbing centre. Quite a rush! I only did 3/4 height the first time to get the hang*** of it, then went all the way up twice. Finally did some clambering around on a low wall just for fun with no ropes. The other people on the course were all friends & very nice. One of them was much more nervy than me but even she made it up there, and we all cheered each other on.
1 short fast run:  No

In Challenge
Steercert:  Booked
Lose 7lb: Fruit for breakfast, minestrone soup for lunch, fruit for snacks and lamb steak with mushrooms, tomatoes and salad rustled up at 10.30 when I got home from my alpine adventure.

It's interesting how accountability plays a part in fitness and general uplevelling: I only tore myself away from work because I told you all I was going and I didn't want to have to say "Oh, in the end I just stayed at home and answered more emails". Then I only kept climbing when I felt like I was stuck because 20 feet below me were 4 mums, faces all flushed and pink from climbing, telling me not to stop. I think the motivation has to come from inside but with other people around, the motivation can carry you a lot further!

All in all, what could have been a work, work, work day turned into a work, work, w00t day. If there was a place closer to me I could see myself doing that quite often because there's no denying it's exciting, and I definitely liked the feeling. Maybe next time we need to borrow an onion from the lovely family upstairs I'll try going up the outside of the building instead of using the stairs.

*=that's twice I've used Comic Sans MS this week. One more and I trigger the flying internet piranhas of death

**=not because it was in portuguese, oh no...

***=pun intended, I'm sorry to say

CONGRATS on the climbing! And all around productive day :)

I agree with you on the motivation. Going to the gym by myself = no biggie. I don't quit very easily and can push myself most of the time without much motivation from others. HOWEVER, having sisters that I go to the gym with and a good friend to keep up with in this challenge has made it all the more fun and motivated me in a totally different way. Self motivation has to be a huge factor because you can't always rely on others - but sometimes you need the extra cheering on to get the job done right. Love the insight! :)

Halfling Scout - Level One: STR 2, DEX 0, STA 3, CON 2, WIS 3, CHA 5

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God,

to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."

Romans 12:1

Awesome day!, I am glad you found something different and enjoyed it, I might take a look and do some climbing as well, maybe.

And yes, motivation comes from inside, just like shame to admitting to your peers (and yourself) that you did not do so well, so it's all good, after all, a little push in the right direction is always good, but you need to be in the right spot for it to make any difference.

german

monkey scout

Trying to summon up some enthusiasm for a short, fast vibram run at 9pm by the docks in a town I don't know well, just after a meal. It has a not-happeny feeling about it...

@German & @dvinedisco :D

Yurp - it's why this site is so great. And thanks for popping by and proving it!

Daily

Take breaks:  Not great while I was sitting but I managed to structure the say around a long lunchtime walk, which made a difference

Daily exercise: A shit-ton of sit-ups in lieu of running

Daily Portuguese: RTP News (bizarre goings on in Madeiran parliament) and one L&D exercise 

Weekly

3xRTP News: 2

Try a New thing:  Climbing - Done!

1 short fast run:  No - should have been today but no run mojo in sight... Tomorrow instead I think...

In Challenge

Lose 7lb: Fruit & veg all the way today apart from dinner which was steak fajitas.

Over-all rating for the day: meh.

The mini-challenge made me realize I haven't posted here to tell you how awesome you're doing. Even though you always post on mine. Then after reading I realized I can give blood again next week. So your awesomeness is rubbing off.

Also if you haven't done it, try slacklining.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

*sharp intake of breath* Now slacklining does look like fun... I researched it though and the bloke in Clapham who gives lessons reckons you need 2-6 hours to be able to do it. I'm not sure I can commit to that kind of time in Clapham. I see there's a local club near where I work so I could go to it during my away-nights but they all look a bit young. I'm not sure how they'd react to an old fart turning up and asking for lessons... hm... At the moment, it's all I can do to walk along a log. I don't know why - I have been practically living on a bike for the last 40 years but on my feet, I tend to fall over all the time.

It does look good though - and it is a challenge... hm... *strokes chin*.

Daily
Take breaks:  Not great. It's never great, this one...
Daily exercise: Oh Noez! Circuits cancelled! I went down to the weight room instead and did some weighty things and tried not to look like an idiot. ALl that warrior stuff's not really me. Ran there using my new gait, which I count as the short fast run
Daily Portuguese: A few L+D questions, a portuguese maths quiz with the daughter at bathtime, RTP news (Gah! I know you're the new pope but stop with the Italian + Spanish - I'm trying to learn here!!!), and a few songs

Weekly
3xRTP News: 3
Try a New thing:  Done for the week, considering next week's
1 short fast run:  Yes

In Challenge
Lose 7lb: Grapes for breakfast (actual grapes, just in case jtggodqos's spanish teacher is reading this), vegie mousaka for lunch, big pile of protein and a load of apples for dinner. No Snacks but precious few drinks either, which is probably less good. I know I was getting on my high horse a few days ago about how you shouldn't have too much water but I am way down at the opposite end of the scale some days!

Anyway, that's enough of that. I've done pretty well, all things considered - it's not a flashy challenge but it's doing its job and preventing me from sliding into the weird subterranean life of late stage project deathmarch, which is all you can ask sometimes. So, just to lighten the mood, here's a moody portuguese song about death

http://youtu.be/Noy4M91Xj08

You are doing great, except for that little librivox thingy....

german

monkey scout

You are doing great, except for that little librivox thingy....

*chuckle* Hey, I have to leave myself something to do in week 4!

Well done on giving the climbing a go

Ta! ;^)

My oldest loves slack lining... and the crowds that do it are really cool usually I'd you show up and actually try (as opposed to show up and tell them how you love it but you'll never be able to do it)

Go you'll have fun!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Good morning. It's 3.24 AM here and I have been failing my challenge goals for 20 straight hours now!

:^)

Ah well... let's hope for another bounceback weekend (when I eventually wake up tomorrow!)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

amyrujud.jpg

The hollow chocolate bunny of failure is mocking me.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines