Aeryn's Spring Challenge

Aeryn

I love the "spring" theme. And juggling! I've never quite been able to wrap my brain around juggling, so I'm always impressed by people who can do it.

Now we're getting into things I haven't tried. How do you set a sword on fire, anyway?

Wrap the blade in kevlar wicking and soak it in white gas or kerosine. Like

. :pirate:

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

PLEASE LET THERE BE FLAMING SWORDS!!!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Great theme. I have a 3x week bodyweight workout goal as well as improving my flexibility too.

Flaming swords would be over the top. I can see me just staring at my computer hollering "Fire! Fire! Fire!" in the likeness of Beavis. ;)  

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

Hey Aeryn!! Love your SPRING challenge and all the cool stuff you have to go along with it. Love juggling! Epic goal. And stretching...oh man. Stretching is KEY to prevent injury. Have you looked into yoga? I have benefitted so much since starting yoga.. I mean, it is one big ole stretch session, and I feel incredibly relaxed afterwards :)

I wish you all the work, and can't wait to see progression!

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Love the goals, love the theme. Best of luck! Pull ups and pistols still elude me, so I'll be following your thread for inspiration! Go get 'em. And I second/third/whatever the motion for juggling flaming swords!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to my first pull-up, impatiently!

I love the "spring" theme. And juggling! I've never quite been able to wrap my brain around juggling, so I'm always impressed by people who can do it.

Wrap the blade in kevlar wicking and soak it in white gas or kerosine. Like

. :pirate:

Thanks! I maintain that anyone with average hand-eye coordination can learn to juggle - it just takes practice!

PLEASE LET THERE BE FLAMING SWORDS!!!

Well, it appears I've started something.  Everyone's waiting for the flaming swords now.  You'd better start practicing...

Sheesh, Zebarah, look what you did! There will be no flaming swords this challenge (everyone leaves...) No wait, come back! Five balls is super-cool, too, I swear. Though not as fiery, I admit. Way easier to practice indoors, though! Also, I actually have juggling balls, whereas swords, not so much. Particularly not flaming ones. :)

Great theme. I have a 3x week bodyweight workout goal as well as improving my flexibility too.

Flaming swords would be over the top. I can see me just staring at my computer hollering "Fire! Fire! Fire!" in the likeness of Beavis. ;)

Yay, love having similar goals!

Hey Aeryn!! Love your SPRING challenge and all the cool stuff you have to go along with it. Love juggling! Epic goal. And stretching...oh man. Stretching is KEY to prevent injury. Have you looked into yoga? I have benefitted so much since starting yoga.. I mean, it is one big ole stretch session, and I feel incredibly relaxed afterwards :)

I wish you all the work, and can't wait to see progression!

Wolf

Thanks! I haven't done any yoga yet - I've been focusing on using the mobility WODs to work on specific tight spots. I may have to look into that for a future challenge.

I am sore like crazy today, and not entirely sure why - arms, shoulders, and abs, particularly. I did do a big chunk of yard work yesterday - raking, mowing, climbing on my roof to clean the gutters (also a minor sunbathing nap on the roof - was lovely). Maybe that on top of the workout got me? Oh, and I did a handstand session, though I only got 1 real handstand - arms were tired before I even started, so I decided one was enough. And I forgot to breathe during it, so I've got petechiae on the top half of my face again. Whoops. Anyway, I will definitely be stretching tonight!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

I'm curious if your hand-eye coordination elsewhere has been helped by your ability to juggle. People are always amazed that I can juggle but seem to do so poorly with other hand-eye coordination exercises, even something as simple as my roommate throwing me a water bottle.

Also, thanks so much for all the advice and support!! I'm so glad to have found nerd fitness and so far its definitely being as awesome as I had hoped!

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

I'm curious if your hand-eye coordination elsewhere has been helped by your ability to juggle. People are always amazed that I can juggle but seem to do so poorly with other hand-eye coordination exercises, even something as simple as my roommate throwing me a water bottle.

As a fellow juggler, I would say that there are elements that translate, but not universally--there's a difference between my throwing an object in a very specific and predictable arc / path and someone winging a water bottle at me. ;)

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

Also, thanks so much for all the advice and support!! I'm so glad to have found nerd fitness and so far its definitely being as awesome as I had hoped!

drsloomis is right - I occasionally catch something I've knocked off a table, or succeed at catching something left-handed that there's no way I would've gotten before being a juggler, but it's not a cure-all - I still knock stuff off tables, for example! Also, a lot depends on the kind of juggling you do - I do a lot of club passing, so I'm pretty good at catching things other people throw to me, but juggling by myself didn't help with that skill.

Nerd fitness is pretty awesome, isn't it? This is the first time I've really been committed to getting as strong as I want to be, and the support I've found here is amazing. Glad you're finding it the same!

I love your theme, and I'm very interested to see what you think of the rings! GMB has a lot of info about ring training and they make it look like so much fun.

Ooh, thanks for the link - I'd looked over there a while ago before I got rings, but hadn't been back since. Lots of useful info! They are fun, but also really hard!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Juggling is an awesomely random goal and skill. Not one I ever mastered. For the record, I would total settle just for juggling not-on-fire-swords. Just to start. Maybe set them on fire next challenge. Either way, very assassiny.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

Well, will the balls be--

Particularly not flaming ones. :)

._. awww....

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Workout this morning: 

Pushup variety pack: 

10 decline pushups, 4th stair

8 diamond pushups

8 incline ring pushups

8 twisting pushups

Circuit:

band-assisted pull-ups, knee(foot): 4(4)/5(3)/5(3)

hanging leg raises: 10/10/10

bodyweight rows, rings: 8/8/8

one-leg stair jumps: 12/12/12

lunges: 10/10/10

pistol leg extensions, 10 sec: 2/2/2

doorway pistol squats: 4/4/4

hollow hold (sec): 60,10,10/65/60

one-leg glute bridge: 8/8/8

Discovered I can do half a pull-up - the top half. Standing on the floor and holding onto my pullup bar, I'm a little below the halfway point of a pull-up - and I can do the pull-up from there. It's the bottom third I'm stuck on, it seems. Gotta make sure I'm going all the way down on my negatives.

Stretched last night - working on hamstrings and shoulders, particularly. Shoulders are pretty good, though the right one has some range of motion issues compared to the left. My hamstrings are always, always, always tight, so I spent some serious time on them.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Twisting pushups? Pray tell, what are these new hellish variation on pushups?

Heh, they're not so bad, they just add more core work. Basically, do a push-up, then rotate into a side plank, go back to regular plank, then do another pushup, then rotate to the other side plank. Also slows down your pushups so you can't just bounce into the next one.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Heh, they're not so bad, they just add more core work. Basically, do a push-up, then rotate into a side plank, go back to regular plank, then do another pushup, then rotate to the other side plank. Also slows down your pushups so you can't just bounce into the next one.

Interesting! I've been trying to force myself to slow down on pushups, and at the top I count out the rep, and at the bottom I make myself wait a beat (maybe 1 second or so) before going back up. Definitely increases the difficulty. I like your idea though, because you can work in your side planks so it's not wasted time. I wonder if it could be worked into decline pushups...

Level 3 Assassin

STR: 7 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 3

Nice routine, good variety and good numbers:)

Thanks - I'm liking it!

Interesting! I've been trying to force myself to slow down on pushups, and at the top I count out the rep, and at the bottom I make myself wait a beat (maybe 1 second or so) before going back up. Definitely increases the difficulty. I like your idea though, because you can work in your side planks so it's not wasted time. I wonder if it could be worked into decline pushups...

Hm, decline planks could be interesting - I'd say try it and see!

Congrats on the half-pull up! That's pretty damn good. 

Thanks! Now to get to the full pull-up!

A little late on the commenting, but I am waiting to see juggling videos!  WOOT WOOT!

See below for the first installment!

I love your twisting push ups technique! Nifty!

And W00t in the half pull up!

Thanks - I think I actually got them from Wolverine, last challenge when I finally got full sets of real pushups and needed harder variations.

So, handstand practice tonight - did 4 successful kick-ups, my best yet, and balanced for a few good seconds each time - I keep pushing just a tiny bit too hard off the wall, and once the weight's shifted to the base of my palms, there's no correcting. Gotta fine-tune it some more!

And the first of many juggling sessions! Things I'd forgotten when I made this challenge: 1. I'm too tall to juggle five indoors without kneeling. So... lots of kneeling in my future. 2. Lights are always inconveniently placed when you're juggling. I ended up staring directly into the ceiling light in my guest room (otherwise known as my handstand/juggling space). I may need to put some lamps in there in future.

Video of a couple runs below - the room's not very big, so sorry for cutting off my hands/the top of the pattern. I'll try to work out a better location for future videos. Things I immediately know I need to work on - you can see that the height of the pattern is really variable - it should be much more consistent. If you listen to the catches, it's not a steady rhythm, either - these things are connected. Also, the pattern isn't well-controlled - it drifts left and right and closer to/further away from me. And the first was one of my better runs, which is sad, because it's about 15 seconds. Lots to work on!

https://vimeo.com/60607494

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Okay, as a fellow juggler I have to know, what's the trick to five? It looks like you're just extending the cascade up about two or three feet, is that really the case?

Farwalker, Climber of Sorcerous Stairs
L2 Troll Assassin
| STR: 2.8 | DEX: 6 | CON: 3.8 | STA: 5 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 6 |
Challenge #1: Saving Throw vs February
"I always assume everything is a trap, which is why I'm still alive." Prince Humperdinck, The Princess Bride

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines