Aeryn's Spring Challenge

Aeryn

*peeks in*  Aeryn, still doing awesome, just as I suspected.  You make that juggling thing look easy, which I know is a lie because it's very very hard.  Congrats on being picked as your guild winner for last challenge!!!  And your workouts always sound epic.  True story: when I grow up, I'm gonna be like you. :)

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Just caught up on your progress a little; holy moly. Nice. Work. And congrats on winning!  I'm going to try out some hip thrusts and also add flexed arm hangs into today's workout. Re: hip thrusts, I guess I've just never done enough of them to really feel much (I've only ever done them in like a set of 10-15 in a warm-up) so I'm curious :-) Also hoping the flexed arm holds instead of dead hangs will accelerate my forearm strength growth.

Anyhow, keeping being FREAKING RAD and by the way, that end table looked amazing. Like, I'm feeling inspired to clean. What have you done to me.

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

human assassin | viper jock
STA: 6.25 | STR: 6.5 | CHA: 9 | WIS: 12 | DEX: 5 | CON: 6.5

Sister's Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Fitocracy

Ooh, turquoise is one of my favorite colors. Mine's a 1950's ranch, so similar issues to run into, though it's brick, so all I have to think about for paint colors is trim. Is this "we" really a "we," or does one of you pick the paint colors and the other just goes along? I've discovered this is a bonus and a curse for living alone - I get to make all the decisions... but I have to make all the decisions!

Ooh, turquoise is one of my favorite colors. Mine's a 1950's ranch, so similar issues to run into, though it's brick, so all I have to think about for paint colors is trim. Is this "we" really a "we," or does one of you pick the paint colors and the other just goes along? I've discovered this is a bonus and a curse for living alone - I get to make all the decisions... but I have to make all the decisions!

Turquoise on a bungalow would be excellent!  What about an orange trim?  Or would that be too bright.  Maybe burgundy instead.  Sorry, my wife has been drawing my attention to such things for so long now that it's second nature:)

And you can paint brick, I see it over here all the time.  Helps protect the grout work and keeps the moss down (if you live in a wet climate).  Brick does look pretty cool all by itself though.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

I really, really, really want to play inner tube water polo. Awesome.

It is SO FUN!

*peeks in* Aeryn, still doing awesome, just as I suspected. You make that juggling thing look easy, which I know is a lie because it's very very hard. Congrats on being picked as your guild winner for last challenge!!! And your workouts always sound epic. True story: when I grow up, I'm gonna be like you. :)

Aw, thanks, Hira! My gosh, I'm a role model, that's terrifying. :) And juggling's not as impossible as it looks, I swear.

Just caught up on your progress a little; holy moly. Nice. Work. And congrats on winning! I'm going to try out some hip thrusts and also add flexed arm hangs into today's workout. Re: hip thrusts, I guess I've just never done enough of them to really feel much (I've only ever done them in like a set of 10-15 in a warm-up) so I'm curious :-) Also hoping the flexed arm holds instead of dead hangs will accelerate my forearm strength growth.

Anyhow, keeping being FREAKING RAD and by the way, that end table looked amazing. Like, I'm feeling inspired to clean. What have you done to me.

Thanks! Yeah, the one-leg hip thrusts definitely got me feeling the glutes. And flexed arm hangs have made a huge difference in my forearms - I've never measured, but there is definition there that never was before. And woohoo, being cleaning inspiration is awesome. Do iiiiiiit!

Turquoise on a bungalow would be excellent! What about an orange trim? Or would that be too bright. Maybe burgundy instead. Sorry, my wife has been drawing my attention to such things for so long now that it's second nature:)

And you can paint brick, I see it over here all the time. Helps protect the grout work and keeps the moss down (if you live in a wet climate). Brick does look pretty cool all by itself though.

Haha, I'm a graphic designer, so color is kind of my thing. I'm not a huge fan of painting brick, though - takes an exterior that needs nearly no upkeep and turns it into something you have to repaint regularly. I don't live in a wet climate, though, so that may change the equation.

Way to go on winning, chica!! I hate blinking and missing a week. What awesomeness you've been up to!! Your inner tube water polo never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks! I've missed you around here - I'll have to cruise over to your thread and see what you've been up to!

So, juggling club this morning! It was gorgeous weather, so we decided to head out to a park near the gym we usually use. It was great - we did this incredible 5-person pattern with one really hard position (3 passes, 1 self), one hard position (2 passes, 2 selfs), one semi-hard position (every other throw is a pass, left handed), one medium position (every other throw is a pass, right handed), and one easy position (every fourth throw is a pass, right handed). I got to do the really hard spot. I have no idea if this link will work, but here's a video of it on facebook - first full speed, then slow-mo. I'm in the light blue shirt, on the right.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10200433903066374

Only flaw in the morning was that I didn't wear sunscreen because I wasn't expecting to be outdoors. My face and arms are totally sunburned. Ow.

This afternoon I got some work done on the front door - I'm raising the threshold, because I realized that the door is fine (though it needs repainting) - the main thing I don't like about it is that it's got a gap underneath it because there used to be carpet in the entryway and now it's hardwood, which is lower. But if I raise the threshold, I'll get rid of the gap and make it way more weather-tight. So I've acquired the board, cut it to the right length, routed the front edge, jigsawed out the weird little corner that intersects with the doorframe, and stained the visible edge. Tomorrow, I'll install it, and hopefully pry off all the old weatherstripping and replace that, too. I have to do my taxes first, though. Good times!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Workout this morning:

1/2 pull-up (attempted full one, got halfway.)

Flexed arm hangs (sec): 38/25/20

Negative pull-ups: 5/5/5

Hanging L-sit, bent knees (sec): 25/25/20

Bodyweight rows, legs straight (knees bent): 6(4), 7(3), 5(5)

One-leg calf raises: 12/12/12

Push-ups: 11/11/11

Pistol leg extensions, 15 sec: 2/2/2

Doorway pistol squats: 6/6/6

One-leg hip thrusts: 12/12/12

Plank toe pulls: 10/10/10

Pretty good workout, though the time change meant I was seriously sleepy, so it took longer than usual - lots of standing around breathing hard. I think I've noted before that flexed arm hangs really use a ton of my energy, particularly followed by negatives. Pull-up day is haaaaard. But it will be worth it when I do an actual pull-up.

Had awesome breakfast - banana pancakes! A banana, an egg, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and two tablespoons of flour. Mix, add a bit of vanilla, and cook. And then bask in the amazingness. Or devour them at high speed, whichever.

Did my taxes, then installed my new threshold, and removed the weatherstripping on the outside of the doorframe. Had to retrieve one of my cats twice, as she decided that the open door while I worked was an invitation to the outdoors. Not so much, indoor kitty. I've got to take off the weatherstripping that's actually attached to the door as well, wood-fill all the holes, sand it flat, paint, and then install new weatherstripping... So that'll be my after-work project for the next several days.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Wow what an action-packed day! You did that all today?

Spring time change really sucks. But those banana pancakes sound like they are totally worth getting up for!

Yup, it was a productive day. Gotta love weekends.

Now I'm hungry for banana pancakes :x

So tasty! I made them again this morning, because I had another overripe banana. And I wanted to. Back to omelets tomorrow, though - the pancakes aren't quite as protein-heavy as I like my regular breakfasts to be.

Time for the week 2 recap!

Strength training: 3/3, still wriggling my way towards a pull-up. My forearms are sore today - flexed arm hangs get them every time. Also added the plank toe pull yesterday, which is way more interesting than static planks.

Stretching: 3/3, need to go back to MWoD archives and work through them systematically - doing whatever pops into my head is fine, but more focus would be good.

Juggling: 3/3, getting gradually more stable, though it's not huge progress yet. Need to pick a trick this week, which will also give me something more interesting to work on than the standard cascade. I bore easily.

House: took my storm door off (largely accidentally), installed a new threshold, and am in the process of removing the old weatherstripping, wood sealing, repainting, and installing new weatherstripping. Next project after that is to paint the front door. I'm thinking really dark purple, or turquoise.

My sunburn has reached the incredibly annoying itchy stage. Someday I'm going to have an entire year where I don't get sunburned. It'll be awesome.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Workout this morning:

Push-up variety pack: 

Diamond: 8

Pike (off the arm of the couch): 4

RIngs: 5

Clapping: 4

Rings: 5

Ring support hold (sec): 5/8/7

Band assisted pull-ups, knee(foot): 4(4)/6(2)/5(3)

hanging L-sit, bent knees (sec): 30/30/30

bodyweight rows, straight legs(bent): 8/6(2)/5(5)

one-leg stair jumps: 12/12/12

lunges: 10/10/10

pistol leg extensions, 15 sec: 2/2/2

doorway assisted pistol squat: 7/7/7

hollow hold: 60/60/60

superman hold: 30,30/30,30/30,20,10

Did not want to get up this morning. Not sure when my brain decided skipping the morning workout was an option, but it almost had me convinced... and then my alarm went off again and habit reasserted itself. Of course, that meant I was ten minutes late all morning - stupid snooze button.

I think I need to upgrade the hanging L-sit to straight legs. Also, superman holds are hard - why haven't I been doing these already?! Oh, and ring pushups are interesting - as long as I control the rings, they're not bad, but on my third rep I managed to swing my left arm up closer to my shoulder and basically made the rep impossible for myself. Reset, and did it fine after that. Also, I need to mark my ring straps with various lengths - adjusting them from row height to pushup height is currently "whatever looks right," and I'd really rather the heights be consistent from workout to workout.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Workout this morning:

1/2 pull-up (attempted full one, got halfway.)

Flexed arm hangs (sec): 38/25/20

Negative pull-ups: 5/5/5

Hanging L-sit, bent knees (sec): 25/25/20

Bodyweight rows, legs straight (knees bent): 6(4), 7(3), 5(5)

One-leg calf raises: 12/12/12

Doorway pistol squats: 6/6/6

One-leg hip thrusts: 12/12/12

Plank toe pulls: 10/10/10

Pretty good workout, though the time change meant I was seriously sleepy, so it took longer than usual - lots of standing around breathing hard. I think I've noted before that flexed arm hangs really use a ton of my energy, particularly followed by negatives. Pull-up day is haaaaard. But it will be worth it when I do an actual pull-up.

Had awesome breakfast - banana pancakes! A banana, an egg, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and two tablespoons of flour. Mix, add a bit of vanilla, and cook. And then bask in the amazingness. Or devour them at high speed, whichever.

Did my taxes, then installed my new threshold, and removed the weatherstripping on the outside of the doorframe. Had to retrieve one of my cats twice, as she decided that the open door while I worked was an invitation to the outdoors. Not so much, indoor kitty. I've got to take off the weatherstripping that's actually attached to the door as well, wood-fill all the holes, sand it flat, paint, and then install new weatherstripping... So that'll be my after-work project for the next several days.

Ok, now I'm drooling over your pancakes!  (4 more days...)

Cro Magnon Assassin

You're doing great!! Keep upping the ante :)

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Wow, glad to see you still going strong as ever!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Haha, so true... Or is it the gift that keeps on taking? I swear, there's always something new to spend money on.

Thanks! It was a little crazy.

So this evening after work, I took down the rest of the storm door - it was mainly removing about 20 screws to get the main hinge edge off, plus 5 trim pieces that were nailed in. When the weather's a bit warmer this weekend, I'll scrape it all down, fill the holes and gaps with wood filler, and sand it all flat so I can repaint. I love how taking apart bits of your house tells you about its history - it's obvious someone built the door jamb out in order to be able to add the storm door - it wasn't original to the house. And there's a layer of paint I uncovered that shows that the doorframe was cream at one point - no clue what color the door was, though. It's white right now, but I'm debating changing that, too. Lots of possibilities.

Yay house projects!! I wish I was handier around the house. I'm super good at cleaning and organizing but I'd have a hard time even knowing where to start on a project like this. In other words, I'm super impressed :-)

So, juggling club this morning! It was gorgeous weather, so we decided to head out to a park near the gym we usually use. It was great - we did this incredible 5-person pattern with one really hard position (3 passes, 1 self), one hard position (2 passes, 2 selfs), one semi-hard position (every other throw is a pass, left handed), one medium position (every other throw is a pass, right handed), and one easy position (every fourth throw is a pass, right handed). I got to do the really hard spot. I have no idea if this link will work, but here's a video of it on facebook - first full speed, then slow-mo. I'm in the light blue shirt, on the right.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10200433903066374

Only flaw in the morning was that I didn't wear sunscreen because I wasn't expecting to be outdoors. My face and arms are totally sunburned. Ow.

This afternoon I got some work done on the front door - I'm raising the threshold, because I realized that the door is fine (though it needs repainting) - the main thing I don't like about it is that it's got a gap underneath it because there used to be carpet in the entryway and now it's hardwood, which is lower. But if I raise the threshold, I'll get rid of the gap and make it way more weather-tight. So I've acquired the board, cut it to the right length, routed the front edge, jigsawed out the weird little corner that intersects with the doorframe, and stained the visible edge. Tomorrow, I'll install it, and hopefully pry off all the old weatherstripping and replace that, too. I have to do my taxes first, though. Good times!

That juggling video was super sweet!! I've never tried juggling clubs or passing but it looks difficult. And aren't taxes fun? Lol (I'm taking a tax accounting class right now)

Time for the week 2 recap!

Strength training: 3/3, still wriggling my way towards a pull-up. My forearms are sore today - flexed arm hangs get them every time. Also added the plank toe pull yesterday, which is way more interesting than static planks.

Stretching: 3/3, need to go back to MWoD archives and work through them systematically - doing whatever pops into my head is fine, but more focus would be good.

Juggling: 3/3, getting gradually more stable, though it's not huge progress yet. Need to pick a trick this week, which will also give me something more interesting to work on than the standard cascade. I bore easily.

House: took my storm door off (largely accidentally), installed a new threshold, and am in the process of removing the old weatherstripping, wood sealing, repainting, and installing new weatherstripping. Next project after that is to paint the front door. I'm thinking really dark purple, or turquoise.

My sunburn has reached the incredibly annoying itchy stage. Someday I'm going to have an entire year where I don't get sunburned. It'll be awesome.

Yay for an awesome week!! Glad to see you are still kicking major butt even if I haven't been on for a few days. I don't know what your house looks like but a dark purple or turquoise door sounds really awesome :-)

And just think, if you go an entire year without getting sunburned it will probably mean you didn't go outside much which would be sad :-P But I feel you. I try to be super careful about sunscreen and such and I still end up getting burned. My problem is that I can't find a sunscreen that doesn't irritate my face. So I either end up with what feels like a chemical burn or a sun burn. My solution was to buy a visor. :-)

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

Ok, now I'm drooling over your pancakes!  (4 more days...)

I'm in awe of your fasting abilities. I would've cracked after a day, at most. Sorry to taunt you with pancakes!

You're doing great!! Keep upping the ante :)

Wow, glad to see you still going strong as ever!

Thanks!

Yay house projects!! I wish I was handier around the house. I'm super good at cleaning and organizing but I'd have a hard time even knowing where to start on a project like this. In other words, I'm super impressed :-)

That juggling video was super sweet!! I've never tried juggling clubs or passing but it looks difficult. And aren't taxes fun? Lol (I'm taking a tax accounting class right now)

Yay for an awesome week!! Glad to see you are still kicking major butt even if I haven't been on for a few days. I don't know what your house looks like but a dark purple or turquoise door sounds really awesome :-)

And just think, if you go an entire year without getting sunburned it will probably mean you didn't go outside much which would be sad :-P But I feel you. I try to be super careful about sunscreen and such and I still end up getting burned. My problem is that I can't find a sunscreen that doesn't irritate my face. So I either end up with what feels like a chemical burn or a sun burn. My solution was to buy a visor. :-)

Haha, the house skills are largely false confidence in my own abilities plus the power of Google. And that I like learning to use various tools. That and the fact that I have more time than money, so doing it myself is worth it, even if it take five times as long as a pro would. Oh, and realizing that there is very little you can do to a house that'll break it irrevocably. Anyway, my approach is usually to go for it, and then figure out the details on the way.

Fun is not really the word I would've chosen for taxes... But they're done, at least, so that's something.

I have a face sunscreen that works on my skin, but I just don't think to put it on, sometimes. I need to put a tube of it in my car for times like this. And a hat would be a really good idea.

Yesterday I did a quick handstand session (2 kickups, both held for at least 30 seconds), a juggling session, and faced off against the front door again. I did all the wood filler for the doorjamb, so I should be able to sand that down tonight and maybe paint tomorrow. But after that, I decided to check the paint on the door itself, to determine whether it's latex or oil. Turns out, it's latex... over oil. Which is why it's chipping so badly. And which adds a whole new complication, because now I have to strip the current paint before I can do anything else to the door. Gotta love the way house projects keep expanding...

Level 13 Elven Assassin

I'm in awe of your fasting abilities. I would've cracked after a day, at most. Sorry to taunt you with pancakes!

Thanks!

Haha, the house skills are largely false confidence in my own abilities plus the power of Google. And that I like learning to use various tools. That and the fact that I have more time than money, so doing it myself is worth it, even if it take five times as long as a pro would. Oh, and realizing that there is very little you can do to a house that'll break it irrevocably. Anyway, my approach is usually to go for it, and then figure out the details on the way.

Fun is not really the word I would've chosen for taxes... But they're done, at least, so that's something.

I have a face sunscreen that works on my skin, but I just don't think to put it on, sometimes. I need to put a tube of it in my car for times like this. And a hat would be a really good idea.

Yesterday I did a quick handstand session (2 kickups, both held for at least 30 seconds), a juggling session, and faced off against the front door again. I did all the wood filler for the doorjamb, so I should be able to sand that down tonight and maybe paint tomorrow. But after that, I decided to check the paint on the door itself, to determine whether it's latex or oil. Turns out, it's latex... over oil. Which is why it's chipping so badly. And which adds a whole new complication, because now I have to strip the current paint before I can do anything else to the door. Gotta love the way house projects keep expanding...

I feel your pain with the ever expanding house projects.  I am rewiring the entire house and that just adds more work as I get more done.  Always one more thing.  But I am trying to stay focused on the electrical and just make a written list of the rest as I find it so I can actually get things done!  Hang in there.  You will get it done.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

Thanks!

I had to do a lot of paint stripping on my last house, a power sander is worth renting to knock down the majority of the project.  I've tried everything you can think of, most of them eventually work with enough elbow grease, but really, there's more to life than hand sanding your house:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

I too was hesitant to take on big house projects, but like you I realized, that it's not a race, and pretty much anything you do can be fixed & redone if needed.

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

I feel your pain with the ever expanding house projects.  I am rewiring the entire house and that just adds more work as I get more done.  Always one more thing.  But I am trying to stay focused on the electrical and just make a written list of the rest as I find it so I can actually get things done!  Hang in there.  You will get it done.

Hah, yeah, I definitely have a continuous list of things to do when I get to them. Luckily, I'm done with the structural and wiring-type things, so all of these are just whatever piques my interest at the moment, rather than necessary projects to keep the roof from falling in.

Started patching for paint which lead to... chimney repair. Seriously. WTF?

Haha, gotta love it. I needed curtains and ended up building a desk. Yay project scope creep!

I had to do a lot of paint stripping on my last house, a power sander is worth renting to knock down the majority of the project.  I've tried everything you can think of, most of them eventually work with enough elbow grease, but really, there's more to life than hand sanding your house:)

Yeah, I've got a power sander, which is one of my favorite tools ever. I figure I'll start with the chemical stripper and go to the sander after - the door's paneled, so if I can get the paint off the detailed bits with a stripper, that'll help a lot.

I too was hesitant to take on big house projects, but like you I realized, that it's not a race, and pretty much anything you do can be fixed & redone if needed.

Exactly! It frees you up to try all sorts of things you wouldn't have tackled otherwise.

Workout this morning:

Flexed arm hang (sec): 40/30/28

half pull-up with negative: 1/1/1

Negative pull-up: 4/4/4

Circuit:

Bodyweight rows: 8/8/8

Calf raises: 12/12/12

Doorway pistol squats: 7/7/7

Hollow hold (sec): 60/60/60

Superman hold (sec): 60/40,20/35,25

The top of my left shoulder's been hurting since Tuesday - may have overdone the pike pushups or handstanding. Also, I'm trying to be a little cautious of my left elbow, it's occasionally twinging in a tendonitis-type way.

Didn't get any more door stuff done yesterday, went drinking with work friends after work and then had choir rehearsal. Which is much more enjoyable when I've had a couple drinks, it turns out. Heh.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Pistol squats.....wow.  I guess I may need to start trying them, even in the doorway I am sure they will remind me that gravity is my nemisis.....

Pistol squats = humble pie

Yeah, pistol squats are tough! I think it's because they combine strength, flexibility, and balance all in one motion. The doorway helps with the balance and the strength parts, but the flexibility took some other mobility work for me - and my right ankle still isn't as good as my left. It's improving, though!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines