Scouts General Chat

Shukar

Last week was just off. I couldn't seem to get done what I needed to get done so that I could justify allowing myself forum time. Which is a totally lame excuse because I was in chat, I read a ton of blogs and entered a million giveaways. 

Here's to a fantastic week 4, 

Let's let the past stay behind us where it belongs and make the most of this week!!!

This for me too.

Let's make today CHALLENGE CATCH UP AMNESTY DAY

Catch up on all your mini challenges today or tomorrow to still earn the lil prize at the end!

Do ALL the things!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Hi, ya'll, I am sneaking over here from the druid camp to say hello :waves:

I do so love to run, I barely trot along LOL but it is so wonderful when I do - I finished a c25k about 2 years ago, and was going along so well, then I did something dumb with my feet and had a recurrence of my plantar fasciitis... which is still going on. about a year and a half later. 

I laid off running for a while, thinking it would 'heal' but no... it hasn't. So I went back to running but just very mildly - I get out for 30 mins or so every now and then on a dirt track in the woods (druid running), very springy and forgiving.

For this challenge I have been doing yoga each day and to my surprise, my foot seems to be healing. The yoga is doing it, I think. Lots of downward dog. I know I need to rehabilitate my whole right leg as it has lost a lot of strength.  For the rest of this challenge I am keeping up the yoga and running every now and then when I can, and adding other things to try to aid my foot in healing. I do stretching all the time like my PT taught me, massage on my foot and calf, acupressure on some muscle micro spasms in my calf... last time I had this and finally got better - I had a recumbent bicycle that I used to build strength without foot pressure. I don't have it anymore :(

Any runners with advice on the cure for the plantar fasciitis? I want to be ready to skip on over to this camp, maybe, for the next challenge, to ease back into a real running habit again. I have the zombie running app so I want to DO IT lol. 

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3

I walk around work and home and anywhere I can get away with it without shoes on. That seems to help me!

My Blog | My Story

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Hi Gem!

No useful info on plantar fascitis, I'm just writing to have you note we don't ignore you, and you'd be more than welcome to join this awesome guild should you decide to do so.

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Hey Gem - I have only ever had PF mild - so sorry to hear it is bothering you.  I roll a tennis ball around the bottom of my feet and find a good self foot massage helps.  Also what Hammlin said - go barefoot as much as possible, and avoid heal striking (Im a chronic heal slapper and used to be a terribly noisy running, slap slap slap down the road).  I feel your pain on having to build back your leg strength, it sucks but really I have found it makes running heaps easier.  Have you used the swimming pool at all? I used to do heaps of kicking in the pool to work on my hips and legs without the pressure.

Traveling Scoutly inclined Druid

:pirate:   :kiwi-fruit:  :tyrannosaurus:  :kiwi-fruit:  :pirate:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.â€â€• Oscar Wilde

Thanks, everyone - that gives me some things to think about. Heel striking - I am going to pay attention to that and see if I am doing it. Barefoot - this seems to have the opposite effect for me - the more I go barefoot or in a flat shoe the more it hurts - I have to wear my running shoes all the time and get new ones pretty frequently. I have read about barefoot running and running in those weird toe shoes and I wish I had a store near me that I could buy some - it just looks like something you really need to try on first LOL not just order and hope for the best. No access to a pool - but your suggestion has me thinking about some leg work I can do lying down that would be better than nothing.

Just what I needed - a bit of fresh perspective.

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3

Props to our very own guild co-leader who I see is getting the recognition she so richly deserves in the NF email today!

Those are quite some before and after pics - well done indeed!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Props to our very own guild co-leader who I see is getting the recognition she so richly deserves in the NF email today!

Those are quite some before and after pics - well done indeed!

Thanks friend! You all are a big part of my success- I love ya!

My Blog | My Story

Awesome story Hammi, I had read your blog, and knew the numbers, but seeing the pictures and reading it all together, was, wow, you  are awesomesauce!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Way to be awesome, and make the rest of us schmucks look awesome by extension. :)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Slightly amused/depressed that 400 people were taken in by Steve's April Fool for long enough that they unsubscribed (I got as far as "Fun Fitness Gang", personally!). I hope we haven't lost any scouts. Quick show of hands...?

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Slightly amused/depressed that 400 people were taken in by Steve's April Fool for long enough that they unsubscribed (I got as far as "Fun Fitness Gang", personally!). I hope we haven't lost any scouts. Quick show of hands...?

I also got as far as fun fit squad before I called shenanigans! :)

My Blog | My Story

My panic faded after about five paragraphs and was completely gone when I got to the comment about "low fat microwave meals". To be fair, I was suspicious anyway - I'd already been given a brief scare by cracked.com with their April Fools post and I was prepared for more shenanigans.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

It's the internet so I am already suspicious, but then it being April Fools I make a point to trust nothing. That said, I was hoping we could get some NF brand compression items, or possibly Steve and Spezzy Action figures out of the QVC deal. :P

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

I was curious when he said "ground level" for internet advertising. But did not entirely put it together until it said PS April Fools. Seriously I still thought it was March.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

It's the internet so I am already suspicious, but then it being April Fools I make a point to trust nothing. That said, I was hoping we could get some NF brand compression items, or possibly Steve and Spezzy Action figures out of the QVC deal. :tongue:

OMG, I would LOVE and spend a small fortune on NF compression gear!

It's the internet so I am already suspicious, but then it being April Fools I make a point to trust nothing. That said, I was hoping we could get some NF brand compression items, or possibly Steve and Spezzy Action figures out of the QVC deal. :tongue:

Love the action figure idea! I'd buy my very own Steve...

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Love the action figure idea! I'd buy my very own Steve...

Same I would have a spezzy by my gym gear so every time I wanted to pike on the gym I would see her epic strong body beaming up at me telling me to go to the gym! oooooh maybe they could talk too.

As soon as I read NF was acquired by a health food company I was like - yeah this must be a joke, good old time zone meant it was 2 april here so I had an extra day of april fools :)

Traveling Scoutly inclined Druid

:pirate:   :kiwi-fruit:  :tyrannosaurus:  :kiwi-fruit:  :pirate:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.â€â€• Oscar Wilde

Alright Scouts, this challenge is winding down, so head on over and post your summaries in the wrap-up thread and feel free to let us know in here who you think did a totally amazing job during this challenge (all of you obviously). Keep on [verb]ing!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines