Knockingdog's got some senior-it-ASS

TeaKwonDo

Name: Knockingdog

Race: Centaur

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 115ish lbs (But I don't keep track, so who knows.)

Stats

STR: Tough

DEX: Bendy

STA: Resilient
CON: Stable

WIS: Clever
CHA: Amiable

Goals

1) Conditioning: dead-hang pullup, FROM diamond pushup, and 30-second unassisted elbowstand.

Been already working these through the last challenge, better to keep improving on what I've got than to add new tricks just because they're "assassin-y." Elbowstands are more fun than handstands, so I'm in no rush to get to the latter.

2) Mobility/Flexibility: full front split.

Taking it easy on my back while I build core strength. To be supplemented with minimum one hip maintenance exercise/yoga pose per day.

3) Sustenance: stick with paleo, eat well and eat enough. One day off.
Self-explanatory.

4) Success: get thesis presentable for 5 College Anthropology Conference on April 13th.

Which will be followed by Senior Symposium the weekend after. It better be >90% complete.

EXTRA CREDIT: Find source of income for post graduation.

Train hard. Drink tea.

I read your conditioning goal as a "dead-hang pull-up from a diamond push-up" and, I swear, I spent a good minute trying to figure out how you get from the pull-up bar to the proper push-up postion without killing yourself...  DOH.

I too have dropped the (freestanding) handstand for now.  I figure I'll get there as it's skill and not strength based, but it's freaking cold outside and I do not have enough motivation to venture outside of my workout room to learn it at this point.  Now the press to handstand and one-arm wall handstand... those sound mighty interesting.

Love the challenge.  The fact that you pointed out that we're the same height has made things extra fun to watch... Not really sure why.  Maybe because our training is so similar and different at the same time? Or that our differences are directly related to our body type differences?  I dunno.  Fun, though.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Heck yeah, it's another Knockingdog challenge! I'm mASSively interested to see you reach the goals you're ASSpiring to. And wow, how much do I not miss the thesis-writing days. Good luck!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Good goals. I think you will find the hip maintenance goal very helpful for your back as well. When my back starts bugging me I try and do some hip stretches because it helps

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I read your conditioning goal as a "dead-hang pull-up from a diamond push-up" and, I swear, I spent a good minute trying to figure out how you get from the pull-up bar to the proper push-up postion without killing yourself...  DOH.

I too have dropped the (freestanding) handstand for now.  I figure I'll get there as it's skill and not strength based, but it's freaking cold outside and I do not have enough motivation to venture outside of my workout room to learn it at this point.  Now the press to handstand and one-arm wall handstand... those sound mighty interesting.

Love the challenge.  The fact that you pointed out that we're the same height has made things extra fun to watch... Not really sure why.  Maybe because our training is so similar and different at the same time? Or that our differences are directly related to our body type differences?  I dunno.  Fun, though.

There are wayyyy too many fun assassin skills out there, le sigh! Unfortunately we're not getting paid to dick around and play with every move under the sun like Al Kavadlo, so we gotta pick and choose. As fun as it is to go, "Hey look, that's a shiny trick!" it's better to go, "Well, I'm already working on this, so let's keep at it towards the next progression." And handstands feel like they're required according to the bodyweight training subculture, but for now my goals are more functional fitness-oriented, demanding better form of myself in yoga and workouts to build an all-around better body. Once that's achieved (stable back, solid core, and mastery of the basics like L-sit and 10 chins in a set), party tricks can come.

Though last night I dreamed that I could do a handstand like nothing and was walking around on my hands. Baller.

It's pretty cool about our similarities/differences and where they've taken us in our training. Though methinks you've got a heck of a lot more muscle to work with--damn you menfolk and your innate upper body strength.

Heck yeah, it's another Knockingdog challenge! I'm mASSively interested to see you reach the goals you're ASSpiring to. And wow, how much do I not miss the thesis-writing days. Good luck!

Haha, thank you! The thesis is actually really fun, it's just the deadlines that I'm thinking about, lawl.

Good goals. I think you will find the hip maintenance goal very helpful for your back as well. When my back starts bugging me I try and do some hip stretches because it helps

Hooyes, hip care is wonderful for exactly that reason.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Starting gameplan!

BW RDLs every morning with warmup.

Workout days: M/W/F

Pushups (chest-to-floor)

Weighted pistols

Diamond pushups (currently partial ROM, working towards chest-to-floor)

Cross-arm pistols

Chinups

Pullups

Back lever progressions (currently at 1 leg alternating)

Dragon flag progressions (currently at tuck-raise, stag-lower)

Glute bridges/hip thrusts

Planks (fingertip, Cirque, reverse)

Yoga days: T/Th/Sat

Bonus static session on Saturday.

Sunday: Warmup and Molding Mobility.

Train hard. Drink tea.

One more thing on nutrition: this is going to be the hardest challenge yet.

College is stressful. Social life comes and goes, but largely I'm in my room writing the thesis or some other assignment. (Thank god for my blog. Even though it's more hermit-writing, it's the only thing that takes me Out Of My Head so I'm not thinking about NF-related stuff or schoolwork) I'm lean enough where I can conceivably go all-out once a week and no one would be the wiser, make myself content with a four-pack or a two-pack, subscribe to the pervasive feminist message to "Love and accept your body no matter what it looks like." Not like anyone's seeing me naked anyway.

But that's what I did freshman year, and it created a very, very unhealthy relationship with food and my body. I'm done with that. NF has proven that I can change my body, get stronger, and do it in a sane, badass manner. "Size acceptance" is not my culture, because in the past it only meant excuses and giving up. There's no more giving up here. I have levers to master.

Doesn't make the cravings go away. (Hello, giant bag of bread sitting in the dorm kitchenette. Why would someone throw out a bunch of loaves like that? No idea, and it makes my inner Serb want to strangle something for the waste.)

Rationally, I know why cravings happen. Stress, exhaustion, college environment of constantly shoving free food at you, emotional needs, constantly feeling like you have no privacy or too much of it. The rule of thumb is the same as for alcohol: the more you want it, the more likely you should stay away. Also, I miss cooking. My strongest cravings aren't for processed junk, but for good red meat (steak tartare!) and dark leafy greens. Seriously. Half the reason for my food-stress is because I miss being able to take care of my nutritional needs on my own terms. The dining halls are fantastic, don't get me wrong (I'll never be ungrateful for how hard they work to keep us fed and happy), but I can't wait to be my own person again.

Long story short, it's gonna be a bumpy road and I'll be bitching and moaning all the way, but I got this.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Inner Serb? Having known many Serbs, I think I can see where you're coming from :P

I'm not sure how bad your relationship with food is, but when I'm being strict, I try to make it 1.5/7 days where I let it go a little. For some strange reason, this always seems to go from Thursday night to Saturday morning.

Honestly, this is where exacting food measurement in my past has helped me cope. Being able to eyeball calories and macro-nutrients for a serving of food can go a long way. And keep the basic rules in mind, what's high protein, what's calorie sparse... yadda yadda yadda

You KNOW this. Let's get to work!

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

The dining halls are fantastic, don't get me wrong (I'll never be ungrateful for how hard they work to keep us fed and happy), but I can't wait to be my own person again.

My goodness, your experience with dining halls couldn't be any different than mine. Was OK most of my freshmen year, but my Sophmore year I just couldn't stomach the stuff and developed a bit of an ED. I would fill my plate up and try, but just couldn't get any food down. Even with extra assistance from 4:20 festivities, nada. Fortunately for my health, I moved out of the dorms halfway through my Sophmore year and had to fend for myself food-wise, so my experience with having an ED is relatively short lived (though delivery 'za went down just fine).

Now the press to handstand and one-arm wall handstand... those sound mighty interesting.

There are wayyyy too many fun assassin skills out there, le sigh! Unfortunately we're not getting paid to dick around and play with every move under the sun like Al Kavadlo, so we gotta pick and choose. As fun as it is to go, "Hey look, that's a shiny trick!" it's better to go, "Well, I'm already working on this, so let's keep at it towards the next progression." And handstands feel like they're required according to the bodyweight training subculture, but for now my goals are more functional fitness-oriented, demanding better form of myself in yoga and workouts to build an all-around better body. Once that's achieved (stable back, solid core, and mastery of the basics like L-sit and 10 chins in a set), party tricks can come.

Though last night I dreamed that I could do a handstand like nothing and was walking around on my hands. Baller.

It's pretty cool about our similarities/differences and where they've taken us in our training. Though methinks you've got a heck of a lot more muscle to work with--damn you menfolk and your innate upper body strength.

Press to handstand might surprise you.  That is one place where you might have a significant advantage.  The difficulty of the straddle press to handstand is highly dependent on your flexibility.  With a wide straddle, good pancake flexibility, and good shoulder flexibility the straddle HS press is much, much easier.  Women in general tend to be bendier than guys, but expecially if doing yoga regularly.

HS presses are one skill where women tend to have a much easier time than the guys.  Usually for guys there is no point in working on a HS press until you've got a solid 10 wall handstand pushups, women can usually get it much earlier than that.

I've read a few discussions on the subject, guys flabbergasted with how well women x can do handstand presses, almost always the reason when pics/video is broken down, is that woman x is extremely flexibile which makes the handstand press so much easier. 

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

My goodness, your experience with dining halls couldn't be any different than mine. Was OK most of my freshmen year, but my Sophmore year I just couldn't stomach the stuff and developed a bit of an ED. I would fill my plate up and try, but just couldn't get any food down. Even with extra assistance from 4:20 festivities, nada. Fortunately for my health, I moved out of the dorms halfway through my Sophmore year and had to fend for myself food-wise, so my experience with having an ED is relatively short lived (though delivery 'za went down just fine).

Press to handstand might surprise you.  That is one place where you might have a significant advantage.  The difficulty of the straddle press to handstand is highly dependent on your flexibility.  With a wide straddle, good pancake flexibility, and good shoulder flexibility the straddle HS press is much, much easier.  Women in general tend to be bendier than guys, but expecially if doing yoga regularly.

HS presses are one skill where women tend to have a much easier time than the guys.  Usually for guys there is no point in working on a HS press until you've got a solid 10 wall handstand pushups, women can usually get it much earlier than that.

I've read a few discussions on the subject, guys flabbergasted with how well women x can do handstand presses, almost always the reason when pics/video is broken down, is that woman x is extremely flexibile which makes the handstand press so much easier. 

True 'dat.  I can bust out the handstand presses like nobody's business, but the press to handstand is gonna kill me.  I tried out my "rig" on Saturday (some bands attached to a door... I'm working with this progression) and holy ouch, Batman.  I thought it would be MUCH easier than it is.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

True 'dat.  I can bust out the handstand presses like nobody's business, but the press to handstand is gonna kill me.  I tried out my "rig" on Saturday (some bands attached to a door... I'm working with this progression) and holy ouch, Batman.  I thought it would be MUCH easier than it is.

His flexibility is pretty good, but not great, at least in that video  The more pancake flexibility you have, the more vertical you can be, and the more vertical you are, the easier it is.  If you are super bendy you can just hinge at the waist and put your hands between your legs, with no visible space between the legs and torso.  From that point, if you are super bendy and have great straddle flexibility, you can lift your legs super high without bending your waist at all, just keeping the starting point stacked near vertical.  The wider your straddle then, the easier the transition of the hips from the pancake position to vertical, if your straddle was as wide as the splits it would be super easy, there would be almost no load on the hips for the transition.  And once you transition the hips, just close the legs.

Lack of flexibility takes you out of the vertical stack and adds lots of extra load to the movement.  Which is why for this skill it is every bit as important as brute strength to develop your straddle strength and flexibility, your shoulder flexibility, and your pancake flexibility.  Which is why you see women that can't do a single wall handstand pushup that can do a straddle press, they have high flexibility that makes the skill relatively easy.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

One more thing on nutrition: this is going to be the hardest challenge yet.

College is stressful. Social life comes and goes, but largely I'm in my room writing the thesis or some other assignment. (Thank god for my blog. Even though it's more hermit-writing, it's the only thing that takes me Out Of My Head so I'm not thinking about NF-related stuff or schoolwork) I'm lean enough where I can conceivably go all-out once a week and no one would be the wiser, make myself content with a four-pack or a two-pack, subscribe to the pervasive feminist message to "Love and accept your body no matter what it looks like." Not like anyone's seeing me naked anyway.

But that's what I did freshman year, and it created a very, very unhealthy relationship with food and my body. I'm done with that. NF has proven that I can change my body, get stronger, and do it in a sane, badass manner. "Size acceptance" is not my culture, because in the past it only meant excuses and giving up. There's no more giving up here. I have levers to master.

Doesn't make the cravings go away. (Hello, giant bag of bread sitting in the dorm kitchenette. Why would someone throw out a bunch of loaves like that? No idea, and it makes my inner Serb want to strangle something for the waste.)

Rationally, I know why cravings happen. Stress, exhaustion, college environment of constantly shoving free food at you, emotional needs, constantly feeling like you have no privacy or too much of it. The rule of thumb is the same as for alcohol: the more you want it, the more likely you should stay away. Also, I miss cooking. My strongest cravings aren't for processed junk, but for good red meat (steak tartare!) and dark leafy greens. Seriously. Half the reason for my food-stress is because I miss being able to take care of my nutritional needs on my own terms. The dining halls are fantastic, don't get me wrong (I'll never be ungrateful for how hard they work to keep us fed and happy), but I can't wait to be my own person again.

Long story short, it's gonna be a bumpy road and I'll be bitching and moaning all the way, but I got this.

First off, great goals and yay that you're participating in this challenge! I'll definitely be cheering you along.

I hear you re: feminist body-acceptance issue. It's a funny thing for me because on the one hand, I am working against years of built up insecurities and not feeling "good enough," messages that were reinforced in many of the environments I was in (acting school, etc), on top of  hearing it from magazines, the media, etc. So, for my part, I'm hyper-aware of any self-criticism that comes from my internalized idea of mainstream physical "beauty" and not from my genuine desire to be stronger, feel better, and be more capable of badass things. At the same time, I would be lying if I said I didn't want to lose a little weight and that I'm 100% happy with how my body looks. Will working out and eating right ever change that? I don't know. I guess as long as I go about it in a moderate, conscientious and healthful way,  it's fine, so long as the emphasis is on functionality and capability and not just looks. There's nothing wrong with wanting to look a certain way and I definitely do, but because that is my proclivity, and that for me that can lead to some disordered thinking, I try to just focus on ability. ANYHOW, not sure where I was going with this, just that I guess I totally empathize with creating a healthy relationship with your body and food and so on and that it can be kinda complicated.

Also, I don't envy you the college food experience; it's so hard for me to turn down food and be picky when I didn't make it, so yikes. And lawlz at your Angry Inner Serb. Y U LEAVE BREAD HEER ITS WASTE

I have no doubt you'll rock this challenge, and I will be following your thread for sure.

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

human assassin | viper jock
STA: 6.25 | STR: 6.5 | CHA: 9 | WIS: 12 | DEX: 5 | CON: 6.5

Sister's Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Fitocracy

WHOA NELLY come back to NF after a day and all these really, really amazing responses from you guys.

Just.

Made my night.

Thank you all. <3

ANYWAY, first workout of the challenge was yesterday! I'll do a weekly update this time around, rather than a day-by-day blow-by-blow because it's getting to that point in the semester where any time I spend mindlessly typing should be in a Word document.

Warmup: 5 min treadmill, ankle/knee mobility, BW RDLs 15 R/10 L

Pushups: 5/5/5/5/6 supersetted with pistols @ 20#: 5/5/5/5/5

Diamond pushups x 35

Cross-arm pistols x 10 + 10 R

Chinups: 6/5/5/4

Pullups: 3/3/3/1/2/3

Stag back lever: ~10s each leg x 3

Tuck/stag dragon flags: 10/10/10 with glute bridges/hip thrusts between sets: 25 + ~40s hold

Fingertip plank: ~100s

Cirque planks: ~50s

Reverse plank: ~100s

So, most of the same business I've been working on since January, just switching up how much time is dedicated to stuff: going for a full 60s worth of back lever practice, and reducing the chin volume to up the pulls. (Baww, nothing from a dead hang baww)

Train hard. Drink tea.

Thesis draft: done. Now to research and revise until April.

Hey Wolverine, where's my cover picture?

Whelp, you're officially further along than me now...

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Woohoo, draft done! That's awesome.

Random question about chins/pulls - if you're not doing them from dead hang, does that mean you're kipping, or starting from the top and then reversing before you hit the actual bottom?

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Random question about chins/pulls - if you're not doing them from dead hang, does that mean you're kipping, or starting from the top and then reversing before you hit the actual bottom?

The second one. Dead hang means straightening your arms entirely so that your back is basically unflexed. A lot of people, when going for max reps, tend to only go like 135 degrees or less. 

The second one. Dead hang means straightening your arms entirely so that your back is basically unflexed. A lot of people, when going for max reps, tend to only go like 135 degrees or less. 

This.  To get to dead hang I actually have to sit in the bottom for a second or so unless weighted to release some muscle tension to really straighten out.

When doing pulls normally I like to keep a little kink in my elbow and my back and shoulders under tension, hence I don't usually do true dead hang pulls unless I'm trying to (with the exception, once I pass about +30 lbs when loaded, the extra load pulls me right down into it while still under tension, its pretty hard to not do dead hang pulls when working at high loads, hence a loaded dead hang pullup is really a good bit different than an unloaded/lightly loaded dead hang pullup, because you can maintain tension). 

I think a lot of the fascination with dead hang pulls is really because crossfit is teh suck, yes they are a little harder, but they don't actually do much more for you than a standard pullup/chinup, they are just a cooler sounding name modifier attached to pullup that makes them better as opposed to kipping which makes them worse.

The benefits that the dead hang adds is much better off worked isometrically than doing rep based work.  Dead hang pulls should be avoided if you can't pull the shoulders in tight, and if you can do that, holding a hanging L-sit or somthing like that even for a few seconds is far better work that hitting it at the bottom of pull reps.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

This.  To get to dead hang I actually have to sit in the bottom for a second or so unless weighted to release some muscle tension to really straighten out.

When doing pulls normally I like to keep a little kink in my elbow and my back and shoulders under tension, hence I don't usually do true dead hang pulls unless I'm trying to (with the exception, once I pass about +30 lbs when loaded, the extra load pulls me right down into it while still under tension, its pretty hard to not do dead hang pulls when working at high loads, hence a loaded dead hang pullup is really a good bit different than an unloaded/lightly loaded dead hang pullup, because you can maintain tension). 

I think a lot of the fascination with dead hang pulls is really because crossfit is teh suck, yes they are a little harder, but they don't actually do much more for you than a standard pullup/chinup, they are just a cooler sounding name modifier attached to pullup that makes them better as opposed to kipping which makes them worse.

The benefits that the dead hang adds is much better off worked isometrically than doing rep based work.  Dead hang pulls should be avoided if you can't pull the shoulders in tight, and if you can do that, holding a hanging L-sit or somthing like that even for a few seconds is far better work that hitting it at the bottom of pull reps.

You guys aren't suggesting dead hang = unpacked shoulders are you?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Whelp, you're officially further along than me now...

You're doing a thesis, too? Awesome! What on?

Whoa, and here I was beating myself up about not being able to consistently start off from a dead hang, but is it really that inconsequential? It feels like a necessary life skill! FROM working all ze muscles for maximum efficiency and all that.

Every time I start off with chins I see if I can do the very first one from a dead hang. Usually here at school it's a no, but I can manage it more often than not on my home bar. The rest are from, like aj said, 135 degrees-ish. The bar is just high enough for my arms to be a bit bent when I'm just standing on the ground, which is my usual starting point if I'm not in a hang.

Totally got my first dead hang chin of the semester yesterday, though.

Train hard. Drink tea.

You're doing a thesis, too? Awesome! What on?

Whoa, and here I was beating myself up about not being able to consistently start off from a dead hang, but is it really that inconsequential? It feels like a necessary life skill! FROM working all ze muscles for maximum efficiency and all that.

Every time I start off with chins I see if I can do the very first one from a dead hang. Usually here at school it's a no, but I can manage it more often than not on my home bar. The rest are from, like aj said, 135 degrees-ish. The bar is just high enough for my arms to be a bit bent when I'm just standing on the ground, which is my usual starting point if I'm not in a hang.

Totally got my first dead hang chin of the semester yesterday, though.

Haha boring engineering type stuff. One of the labs is working on a production process for microtubes that could be used someday to make biological tubes (think arteries, blood vessels n such), but they can't be bothered to test the damn mechanical properties. So I did a bunch of lit review to see what kind of properties their gonna need and began testing to see how far off they are.

As for the dead hang, well... two ways to look at it. One is that in a practical sense, most scenarios that involve you pulling your body weight up are either not from a dead hang, or in a situation that you can kip into it. So not really needed. 

Second one is that some people like to advocate doing full ROM on everything, which a) isn't true for absolutely every exercise, chins/pulls being examples of, and B) from an athletic point of view, partial reps can be useful in the right context.

Personally, I feel like that last 45 degrees to get down to the dead hang is dangerous. Your shoulders are really weak through that range, and you run the risk of not being able to control your descent well, especially as muscles fatigue, leading to rotator cuff injuries. As you said, first one from dead hang, 135 is quite alright beyond that.

Regular (non-kipping) pullup vs. dead hang pullup can almost be viewed like a doing pushups chin/chest tapping vs. doing pushups to fully laying down each rep. It is an interesting and useful modification, but absolutely no one sees that as the proper day to do a pushup. About the same with a true dead hang pullup, except that many see it as the proper way to do a pullup (though I would argue that the more pullups you've done, the less you see that as the proper way).

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines