Knockingdog's got some senior-it-ASS

TeaKwonDo

Whoa, and here I was beating myself up about not being able to consistently start off from a dead hang, but is it really that inconsequential? It feels like a necessary life skill! FROM working all ze muscles for maximum efficiency and all that.

Every time I start off with chins I see if I can do the very first one from a dead hang. Usually here at school it's a no, but I can manage it more often than not on my home bar. The rest are from, like aj said, 135 degrees-ish. The bar is just high enough for my arms to be a bit bent when I'm just standing on the ground, which is my usual starting point if I'm not in a hang.

Totally got my first dead hang chin of the semester yesterday, though.

Cool - thanks for the clarification, and this whole conversation has been totally useful. I've just been assuming I should do dead hang pullups, but now I'm not going to worry so much - though it makes the line between being able to do a full pull-up and being able to do a partial pull-up just that much fuzzier.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Regular (non-kipping) pullup vs. dead hang pullup can almost be viewed like a doing pushups chin/chest tapping vs. doing pushups to fully laying down each rep. It is an interesting and useful modification, but absolutely no one sees that as the proper day to do a pushup. About the same with a true dead hang pullup, except that many see it as the proper way to do a pullup (though I would argue that the more pullups you've done, the less you see that as the proper way).

How would you define a full ROM pull-up if it's different than the dead-hang variation?  Shoulders packed, back tight, elbows at a ? degree angle?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Cool - thanks for the clarification, and this whole conversation has been totally useful. I've just been assuming I should do dead hang pullups, but now I'm not going to worry so much - though it makes the line between being able to do a full pull-up and being able to do a partial pull-up just that much fuzzier.

Interesting. I always thought it all had to be from a dead hang. I know I can do more chin ups, if they are not all from full dead hang. And I may be able to do another pull too. Going to go try.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

How would you define a full ROM pull-up if it's different than the dead-hang variation?  Shoulders packed, back tight, elbows at a ? degree angle?

Its all about the tension in the lats, as low as you can go without dropping tension. Like AJ said, about 135 degrees at the shoulder.

You know how you have to lean back to do a pull/chin, to activate the lats, basically stay in the leaned back state.

It will also keep a kink in the elbow, something like 165 degrees.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Yesterday's workout:

Warmup: 5 min treadmill, ankle/knee mobility, BW RDLs 15 R/10 L

Pushups: 5/5/5/5/6 supersetted with pistols @ 20#: 5/5/5/5/5

Diamond pushups x 20

Cross-arm pistols x 10 + 10 R

Chinups: 6/5/5/4

Pullups: 3/3/2/2/2

Stag back lever: ~10s each leg x 2, ~5s each leg x 2

Tuck/stag dragon flags: 8/10/10 with glute bridges/hip thrusts between sets: 25 + ~60s hold

Fingertip plank: ~60s

Cirque planks: ~40s

Reverse plank: ~110s

Numbers go up, numbers go down. Tweaked my back something awful on Monday, so I'm not gonna worry about PRs this week. Lots of tennis ball action, Pigeon, and ibuprofen for the IT band. I suspect that all that great hip stretching combined with upped glute work has created an imbalance, because while my inner thighs are well on their way towards a front split, the IT band is now supertight on the outside.

Train hard. Drink tea.

The IT band is feeling better (turns out it wasn't a back tweak, it really was the band all along), but not 100%, so I'm not sure how to proceed for this week's workouts.

Yoga is limited. Down Dog is excruciating unless I do it as a 3-legged Dog, and any backbending poses are even worse for the whole right side of my body from hip to calf. Warriors are alright, Triangle is ok. Nothing is absolutely painless, but I'm hoping to keep the muscles warm rather than rest them completely so that they stiffen and make it worse.

Funnily enough though, stuff like pistols and stair climbing doesn't bother it much, if at all. And statics like straddle holds and frog stands/Crows are fine. So I could potentially continue with my regular routine and just sub in a loooot of static work in exchange for leggy business.

So the question is, stick with light rehabbing for the week, or get back into the game?

Admittedly, lots of my misgivings come from vanity. Zee abbies are peeking back again! And spring break is next week. And I'm starting to get the hang (ba-dum kssh) of stag back levers! Every week feels like I'm on the edge of major breakthroughs, you know?

Buuuuuuuuuuuut I haven't had more than two days of full, take-the-day-off-with-your-butt-planted-in-a-chair rest in a row since January. So there's that. Dunno how the hell Al Kavadlo can do it--the guy says he never takes a day off, ever.

In the meantime, today is my full rest day, so did a whole bunch of stretching, hardcore IT band massage, and the phraktured mobility drills. Now off to read Charlotte's Web for class. Writing for Children's Lit = Best. Course. Ever.

Train hard. Drink tea.

I hurt my IT band first week into a football season. It was tweaked for the REST of the season, because I kept playing, and didn't fully heal for a month after that.

You might be looking at a significant amount of rest time. But the alternative is being chronically hurt. Take care of yourself KD.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I hurt my IT band first week into a football season. It was tweaked for the REST of the season, because I kept playing, and didn't fully heal for a month after that.

You might be looking at a significant amount of rest time. But the alternative is being chronically hurt. Take care of yourself KD.

Woke up this morning fully intending to hit the gym and do a lower-body-light version of the regular routine, but I remembered your comment. Gonna hold off for now.

I know I sound like a nutcase, but I'm terrified of losing muscle and backsliding. I've been working on my body since freshman year, and this is the year that I'm finally starting to see the results I've been craving. Type A personality here: "If I can get shit done, I will get shit done. I'll rest on a scheduled rest day or when I'm dead, whichever comes first."

But.

I would rather take a week off now, while I still can walk and have the luxury of deciding on my rest time, instead of taking six weeks off when I'm so beat that I have no choice but to be bedridden.

In the meantime, this is the opportunity to GTG one-arm PUs. Just a set every few hours or so. Low commitment, low pressure, for funsies and so that I can keep some part of me moving. Too much sitting just makes me antsy, can't do it anymore. Thank god for my standing desk!

Train hard. Drink tea.

Trust me, a week (or even two) is not gonna cause your legs to turn to chub and jelly. While type A personalities typically make GREAT athletes due to their work-horse like ethics, they also end up the most oft injured ones too. Knowing when to stop is often just as important.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Trust me, a week (or even two) is not gonna cause your legs to turn to chub and jelly. While type A personalities typically make GREAT athletes due to their work-horse like ethics, they also end up the most oft injured ones too. Knowing when to stop is often just as important.

+1.  Listen to the aj_rock, for he is full of wisdom. :)

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Quick update that the rest week was just what I needed. I haven't been completely inactive, though, still walking around campus and taking the stairs regularly, normal stuff. Light--veeerrrrrrry light--yoga in the mornings with some supplemental stuff, basically an abbreviated version of the rest day routine. Also did some pullups on my closet door, fun times, and a few sets of incline one-arm pushups, feet together and no twist, came out pretty awesome considering I haven't worked OAPUs since the fall. (But still, incline lawl.)

Chugging cinnamon infusions like no one's business for the anti-inflammatory action since I'm out of ginger, gonna do tons of ginger starting tomorrow when I'm home. Ibuprofen, too. Feeling tons better.

aj, since you have experience with IT injuries, is it safe to stretch out the leg (ie: Downward Dog) even though it hurts? 'Cause I'm not sure if it's a good, getting-this-thing-back-into-shape hurt or an OW-NO-STOP hurt.

Train hard. Drink tea.

aj, since you have experience with IT injuries, is it safe to stretch out the leg (ie: Downward Dog) even though it hurts? 'Cause I'm not sure if it's a good, getting-this-thing-back-into-shape hurt or an OW-NO-STOP hurt.

Not being AJ, but as someone who was once sidelined for close to 2 months from an IT Band injury:  (Note, I am *NOT* a doctor)

In my case stretching wasn't a problem - the thing that really aggravated my IT band were activities where the leg/knee was under load and I repeatedly moved through the range of motion where the IT band moved across the bone on the side of my knee.  This basically meant no running, and that climbing stairs really sucked and I avoided them whenever possible during the recovery, but mobility work was OK.  Depending on the nature of your IT injury your mileage may vary - though I generally took the approach of trying to avoid motions that caused pain, and focus on anything that would loosen up the band a bit.  My injury was such that low-frequency motions were not an issue, but if I did something repeatedly the pain would come back - i.e. climbing flights of stairs or anything with repeated knee bending.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Not being AJ, but as someone who was once sidelined for close to 2 months from an IT Band injury:  (Note, I am *NOT* a doctor)

In my case stretching wasn't a problem - the thing that really aggravated my IT band were activities where the leg/knee was under load and I repeatedly moved through the range of motion where the IT band moved across the bone on the side of my knee.  This basically meant no running, and that climbing stairs really sucked and I avoided them whenever possible during the recovery, but mobility work was OK.  Depending on the nature of your IT injury your mileage may vary - though I generally took the approach of trying to avoid motions that caused pain, and focus on anything that would loosen up the band a bit.  My injury was such that low-frequency motions were not an issue, but if I did something repeatedly the pain would come back - i.e. climbing flights of stairs or anything with repeated knee bending.

Iiiiiiinteresting. My pain actually lessens on stairs/uphill/knee-bending stuff, including squats. It doesn't hit hard unless I were to try running (ahaha, no) or hardcore hamstring stretchiness. It feels very related to my lower back, which has been an issue for a couple years now. (Come to think of it, it's just past the two-year anniversary of the start of my back troubles--and the subsequent discovery-love of yoga. Cool beans.)

Train hard. Drink tea.

Yeah, it's usually highly repetitive motion that hurts, as it's also what caused the problem in the first place.

It's gonna have to be one of those 'listen to your body' things. If what you're doing hurts, stop doing it :P

Alright, tried working out again this morning and not too bad. Numbers went down across the board, but that's to be expected. Lots of experimenting and modifications, really gotta focus on form.

Aaaaand ok shit really gotta get back to thesis work because I'm presenting it at the 5 College Anthropology Conference in less than a month. Allons-y!

Train hard. Drink tea.

I am currently pseudo-sidelined with a leg injury and going stir crazy already.  Now to figure out how to NOT drive myself bat-shit insane while I wait for the body to heal...

Sending happy thesis thoughts your way. As an aside, I tried to dig up a Wonder Woman costume but couldn't find one locally.  Friend has a Silk Spectre, but I tried it on and... let's just say that she has a lot more junk in her trunk than I do.  Not the most valiant of efforts, but I think I should get SOME friend points... ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Also dropping in from Waldo's thread. You might be interested in searching "Molly Galbraith Hashimoto's." She's written on several sites, including her own, about steps she's taken to achieve her goals since her diagnosis.

Checked her out, pretty good stuff. Thanks for the tip!

I am currently pseudo-sidelined with a leg injury and going stir crazy already.  Now to figure out how to NOT drive myself bat-shit insane while I wait for the body to heal...

Sending happy thesis thoughts your way. As an aside, I tried to dig up a Wonder Woman costume but couldn't find one locally.  Friend has a Silk Spectre, but I tried it on and... let's just say that she has a lot more junk in her trunk than I do.  Not the most valiant of efforts, but I think I should get SOME friend points... ;)

Awww, bro! It's the thought that counts, and that thought is more than appreciated. <3

Train hard. Drink tea.

Workouts have been a far cry from KISS, as the ITB is still not at 100%. Lots of static work today.

Warmup: Split squats, Cossak squats, knee diamond pushups, hollow hold, Baby Cobra

Pushups: 6/5/6/5/5 supersetted with ~30s pistol holds (getting into the hole and holding the elevated foot with one hand, like this guy but for an extended hold instead of a pause)

Diamond pushups: 25

RDLs: 20/20/20 each leg

Chins: 6/5/5/5

Pulls: 4/4/3/4/4

Stag back lever: ~10s each leg/~10s R/~10s L/~10s each leg

Tuck/stag dragon flag: 5/5/5/5/5 with 20 breaths in Horse stance between sets

Fingertip plank: ~30s, switched to half-hands for another ~120s

Reverse plank: ~100s

Middle split hold: ~20s/~20s/~20s

Aaaand should have stretched or something after but was running late. C'est la vie.

Not sure if the pistol holds had real merit, and definitely didn't get as much of a workout as I'm used to, but it's something.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines