Knockingdog's got some senior-it-ASS

TeaKwonDo

Still not 100% on the ITB front. Been wondering about it a lot. My problem areas (mostly the hip) feel massively better after every workout, and I've been slowly re-integrating pistol work, but some mornings I wake up and it's so stiff and tight it's like I'm back to square one.

This article recommends continuing strength training: http://thatpaleoguy.com/2011/03/22/illiotibial-band-itb-friction-syndrome/ while common knowledge says, "No, do ALL THE STRETCHES and yoga and foam roller and..."

It's enough to make your head spin, and I've got enough stress as it is outside the fitness realm.

Advice, please?

Train hard. Drink tea.

First of all, I tend to raise an eyebrow at anyone who's go-to solution for everything and anything as paleo. I won't get into that here though.

He's right on maaaaybe one front. That ITB can be caused by a weak posterior chain. In fact, that's the reason for a whole host of shenanigans for your body.

But ice not working as an anti-inflammatory? NSAID's a bad idea also? Maybe if you're a git without a proper license to be giving advice. But we've used both to treat inflammation because THEY WORK. Jeesh.

He also shows a very poor understanding of what non-elastic tendons/ligaments are supposed to be. They are tough. In non-engineerey type terms, that means they absorb a lot of elastic energy per unit stretch. They provide elastic reflexes without the need to bend like a rubber fricken band.

The entire idea of anti-inflammation and stretching is to encourage blood flow in the area. Inflammation prevents blood flow, and stretching encourages it. Enhanced blood flow = better nutrient delivery = faster recovery. It's really as simple as that.

Nowhere does he actually make a good argument for training through recovery. Stretch it, ice it, and when it's past the mend, start looking at preventative methods. Not before.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Name: Knockingdog

Race: Centaur

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 115ish lbs (But I don't keep track, so who knows.)

Stats

STR: Tough

DEX: Bendy

STA: Resilient

CON: Stable

WIS: Clever

CHA: Amiable

Goals

1) Conditioning: dead-hang pullup, FROM diamond pushup, and 30-second unassisted elbowstand.

Been already working these through the last challenge, better to keep improving on what I've got than to add new tricks just because they're "assassin-y." Elbowstands are more fun than handstands, so I'm in no rush to get to the latter.

2) Mobility/Flexibility: full front split.

Taking it easy on my back while I build core strength. To be supplemented with minimum one hip maintenance exercise/yoga pose per day.

3) Sustenance: stick with paleo, eat well and eat enough. One day off.

Self-explanatory.

4) Success: get thesis presentable for 5 College Anthropology Conference on April 13th.

Which will be followed by Senior Symposium the weekend after. It better be >90% complete.

EXTRA CREDIT: Find source of income for post graduation.

Goals:

1) Skipped over dead-hang pulls in favor of L-sit chins and pulls, diamonds are inches from the ground, and elbowstands are a no-go due to lame ITBusiness.

2) Also stopped working front splits to take it easy on the ITB.

3) Took three days off.

4) The presentation is nearly all set for this weekend. Bam.

EXTRA CREDIT: Only time will tell.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Awesome job on the challenge. Why did you skip the deadhangs in favor of the L-sts? Do you feel like one was better conditioning or was it just what you liked better?

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Awesome job on the challenge. Why did you skip the deadhangs in favor of the L-sts? Do you feel like one was better conditioning or was it just what you liked better?

Thank you! The replies on here were in favor of sticking with regular, 120-135 degree-ish chins/pulls, so I de-prioritized 'em and tried out the Ls after the ITB thing happened, and it clicked from there. Works the lower abs great, as well as the lower back (which is even more important, 'sup pre-existing back issues that are probably related to the ITB) and it translates very well into the floor L-sit.

You did good! ITB will become normal soon, I expect.

Thanks man, your advice really helped the whole way. Is it normal for recovery to take several weeks and feel inconsistent? Whenever I do a whole bunch of walking during the day, I wake up and it's reeeeeeally stiff/tight, but some yoga takes care of it. For the most part, focusing on form during workouts ("Hello, glutes? Can you hear me now? Can you hear me now?") has made a big difference in terms of reduced pain.

I like the bonus goal. :)

Allllllllllllll the tea. All of it. Though I'll try to shut up about it on here.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Yeah, it's slow. Remember it's a big, thick band of tissue, and unlike a muscle, it's got no blood flow. Do what works to make it feel better, don't do what hurts, and play with stuff like that somatics exercise and gentle foam rolling. Fascia aggravtions are like tendon issues, slow going. But they do heal if you let them.

Thanks man, your advice really helped the whole way. Is it normal for recovery to take several weeks and feel inconsistent? Whenever I do a whole bunch of walking during the day, I wake up and it's reeeeeeally stiff/tight, but some yoga takes care of it. For the most part, focusing on form during workouts ("Hello, glutes? Can you hear me now? Can you hear me now?") has made a big difference in terms of reduced pain.

Yup, just keep stretching it. myofascial release stretches can help too.

Vector; that isn't quite correct. Tendons and ligaments do get blood flow, otherwise how did they grow while you were a kid? They have a 'reduced' blood flow I guess, but ITB is well situated for blood flow. The stretching and myofascial is designed to encourage blood flow and flexibility.

Ninja edit to say: make sure you link your new challenge from here! I hate having to hunt down everyone's challenge again after six weeks >.>

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Is the fascia actually vascularized? I did not know that. It certainly doesn't seem like that when I take apart my chickens!

Doesn't have to be vascularized to receive blood. Don't need to open a vein to bleed :P

Not being explicitly vascularized is a reason for reduced blood flow. But interstitial space still gets blood flow. It's the only means of delivering nutrients in the body really (well not ONLY, but definitely primary)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines