Warmup that doesn't involve legs?

First of all, I'm not quite sure of this is the correct section to post this, so apologies if it's not.

I have a knee injury so I'm avoiding any exercises/moves that involve my legs. I'm simply doing exercises for my upper body & core only till my knee heels.

My only problem is, I can't manage to do a proper warmup without using my legs. Any ideas?

I'd be interested to know of some too! Seems like knees are involved in everything these days :) What I've been doing is leg lifts on both sides with straight legs, then some planks if possible, and then the upper-body stretches and push/pulls. It seems to be going okay, but my knee doesn't seem to be getting any better, so I'd love to hear what other folks are doing :)

What upper body exercises are you doing? If they're body weight, you typically don't need much of a warm up other that doing a first set at half the reps/time of the working ones. If you're talking weighted exercises like bench pressing, do sets at a lighter weight.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

What upper body exercises are you doing? If they're body weight, you typically don't need much of a warm up other that doing a first set at half the reps/time of the working ones. If you're talking weighted exercises like bench pressing, do sets at a lighter weight.

I'm doing body weight exercises, mainly different kinds of pushups and pull-ups/chin-ups.

Easy stuff like pulls and pushups, yeah, no problem, no real warmup required.

Hard bodyweight stuff requires more warmup than weights though.  In general the wrist and elbow stresses are much higher than weighted work and need to be loosened up a bit.

Warmups aren't realy required though.  Save for a few things (straight arm isometrics, max sprints), the need to warm up is almost purely psychological.  Humans aren't designed to be so useless as to only be able to use our muscles without injury after first warming up.  If you think about it, that is a really stupid evolutionary adaptation (same with the need to eat before working out to perform best, lolwut?, what a stupid adaptation).

Now this isn't to say that ramping up won't help you perform better when working really heavy, because it most definitely will, but ramping up is not the same thing as warming up.  There is a neurological component to strength that ramping up most definitely enhances.  But the goals of warming up and ramping up are different (though a ramp up can function as a warmup).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Hmmm, do you have access to a pool? It doesn't *not* use the lower body, but it wouldn't be weight-bearing?

When I was a competitive swimmer we also did several warm-ups where we tried to keep our lower bodies as stationary as possible, if you're trying to avoid moving it at all. There are slightly buoyant foam things made specifically for that purpose if you're just starting out, or you could hold a very small inner-tube between your knees. Hell of a cardio work-out, and would work some of your stabilizing leg muscles, which might help you out in the long run. (There's my amateur medical opinion, for you.)

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

STR: 3 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 1 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4.5 | CHA: 3

If you do not change where you are headed, you will end up where you are going.

Battle ropes- if you can get your hands on some of those- you can get an amazing warm up with those.  I've used them on and off- and I used them for a warm up the other day- was crazy good- I was really impressed.

Very interesting. 

Too injured to ride bike? Usually used to treat knee injuries.

If you are doing upper body with body weight, then you basically are already doing warm-ups.   

I injured my knee in the first place riding a bike. So I'm avoiding it for now too.

Easy stuff like pulls and pushups, yeah, no problem, no real warmup required.

Hard bodyweight stuff requires more warmup than weights though.  In general the wrist and elbow stresses are much higher than weighted work and need to be loosened up a bit.

Warmups aren't realy required though.  Save for a few things (straight arm isometrics, max sprints), the need to warm up is almost purely psychological.  Humans aren't designed to be so useless as to only be able to use our muscles without injury after first warming up.  If you think about it, that is a really stupid evolutionary adaptation (same with the need to eat before working out to perform best, lolwut?, what a stupid adaptation).

Now this isn't to say that ramping up won't help you perform better when working really heavy, because it most definitely will, but ramping up is not the same thing as warming up.  There is a neurological component to strength that ramping up most definitely enhances.  But the goals of warming up and ramping up are different (though a ramp up can function as a warmup).

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, but the things is, I perform much better when I do a warm up first. Not sure if it's a psychological thing or if it really does makes a difference.

Hmmm, do you have access to a pool? It doesn't *not* use the lower body, but it wouldn't be weight-bearing?

When I was a competitive swimmer we also did several warm-ups where we tried to keep our lower bodies as stationary as possible, if you're trying to avoid moving it at all. There are slightly buoyant foam things made specifically for that purpose if you're just starting out, or you could hold a very small inner-tube between your knees. Hell of a cardio work-out, and would work some of your stabilizing leg muscles, which might help you out in the long run. (There's my amateur medical opinion, for you.)

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a pool right now. Thanks for the suggestion though.