“Don’t get your hopes up yet.â€

That was how Erik started this morning. He was holding a brown folder. An official looking brown folder. 

Didn’t he know that being told not to get your hopes up did just the opposite? It’s just like someone telling you, “Don’t think about elephants.†What’s the only thing you’re thinking about right now? Elephants. 

The folder contained a mission. A real mission. Not training. 

“It’s not your official deployment. Not yet. We still have several more months of training before you’re ready for that. It’s a short-term scouting mission. We’re sending you to a potential deployment location to get the lay of the land. It’s just reconnaissance. Your main job is to lay low, and gather as much info as you can in the next week.â€

He handed me the folder and I was so eager to open it and study every detail, that I almost missed him continuing as he sat down across from me, “You’re transitioning into a new phase here, HN. You’re going to be losing the structure you’ve come accustomed to on base. You’ll have to have your own self-discipline. You’ll have to start spending time centering yourself for missions, to keep on task. I’m giving you only two assignments for this training period, as you’re going to have to start training your weak areas on your own. Once you’re deployed, that’s not the end. It’s just the beginning. You’ll have to keep improving whenever you find a weak spot. Take a look at your mission folder. There’s a digisheet in the back that has your extra training assignments. You’ll start working on them after breakfast.â€

He abruptly got up and and left me to my cheese and strawberries. 

Or at least I thought he did. He paused behind my chair for a short moment.

“You’re doing well, HN. Don’t sell yourself short. You can do this, you have to know that. Because it only gets harder from here.†

Habit goal:

Self-Discipline

Establish an energizing morning routine

1. Get out of bed without snoozing

2. Do gorilla workout 

Why it's a challenge:

have I mentioned how much I hate mornings?

Why I want to do it anyway:

I hate mornings. This should change. 

Also, junk gets in the way for workouts if I don't get them in at the start of the day. I want to work my way towards a serious workout in the morning. My daily 16 was a start, but I'm getting bored of those exercises, and I didn't like a lot of them anyway. So I end up skippig it often. I enjoy the gorilla workouts a lot, and they are quick. And leave me much sorer than my daily 16 ever did.

Once again, two points per day. 

Starting at 84 points:

70-84 = a

60-70= b

50-60= c

<50= f

Using lift app to keep track, so I can easially look at my stats and not miss something. 

+ 2 CON, + 3 STR

Endurance goal:

Training assignment number 1: Improve that 3 mile time. 

Still 5k. This time on a sliding scale.

Sub 30 = a

Sub 32 = b

Sub 34 = c

Anything else = f

+3 STA

Skill goal:

Training assignment number 2: Learn to dance

Solo swing dance

Why it's a challenge:

I have terrible, terrible proprioception and coordination. Not to mention swing is generally a two-person gig.

I love love love swing music. When I hear it I feel like this:

I can't contain myself. There is no hope of me sitting still. Why solo swing you say? Well cuz I don't have a fella. I go to a lot of parties where there is swing dancing, and there are lots of couples, and anyone who's not, doesn't know how to swing and thus won't dance with me to those songs (it's seems that only couples ever bother to learn to dance?). 

My brother and I used to swing dance something fierce. We are sort of estranged at the moment, and not having that built-in dancing buddy makes me miss him a lot at these dances. Just doing triple step by myself back and forth looks dumb and is boring. 

Therefore, I want to learn a routine (or repertoire of moves to mix and match) of intentionally solo swing dancing to jive to when these songs come up. 

Ideally I'd like to learn six new moves, one for each week. 

6 = a

5 = b

4 = c

<4 = f

+2 DEX, +3 CHA

Life goal:

Centering myself to keep on task

Learn to enjoy alone time. Accumulate 1 hour per week of quality alone time. 

Why it's a challenge;

I am an extremely extroverted person. I hate being alone. being alone for too long makes me exhausted and depressed (characteristic of extroverts). This has freaked me out so much that I really avoid being alone at ALL. 

I tend to associate inrospection with introversion, and therefore with anger and depression (becuase when I am angry or depressed i don't want to interact with anyone.) 

some alone time is necessary, to think and collect my thoughts, center myself, and come up with new ideas. Introspection is important, to develop who I am as a person and process new life experiences. It's gotten to a point that if I want to go do something (a hike, or bouldering, or seeing a movie) and no one is available that night, I won't even go. Guess what? I'm still alone that night. I'm just alone and bored. I want to start doing these things alone and enjoying being alone, not viewing it as that sludgey in-between time I have to slosh through between human interactions. 

So I'm going to accumulate one hour per week in quality alone time (ie watching tv, cleaning the house, working alone doesn't count. I'd be too distracted to pay attention to being alone)

Six hours throughout challenge = a

5 hours = b

4 hours = c

<4 = f

+ 3 WIS 

I'm also going to be doing two side challenges, one for the Parkour Posse PVP [improving my pull ups] and the other is a water fast with Croman Red in march [stay tuned for interesting RP writing centered around this.]. 

So starting stats:

Weight: 171

Height: 5'11" <glad this has been basically the same.

Chest: 39

Waist: 33

Hips: 40

Max pull ups: 2

Alright, let's do this thing. 

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Two things:

1. Elephants
  2. I love the idea of solo swing dancing.  Specifically, going to a club and breaking out in solo swing dancing to some booty shaking top 40 hit that doesn't fit it whatsoever.
  3. Elephants swing dancing.
  4. Crap that was three things, not two things.  Or is it four things?  Damnit!

I am excited for your challenge.  Looking forward to how the gorilla workouts treat you.  If I wasn't so obsessed with the gymnastics stuff right now, I'd probably be doing them too!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I'd love to hear about the swing steps! Swing is fun, but it isn't a dance type that I can find easily, so I haven't learned anything beyond the very basics, but learning how to do it alone would mean I could dance wherever! Would you mind posting an explanation, video or something of each step you learn?

Two things:

1. Elephants
  2. I love the idea of solo swing dancing.  Specifically, going to a club and breaking out in solo swing dancing to some booty shaking top 40 hit that doesn't fit it whatsoever.

Heh. That put a laugh in me today!

Yay, for swing dancing! Were you an assassin when SeaLevel did solo swing dancing for his  challenge? He learned some really cool moves and made a video. What are gorilla workouts? I was part of the mini challenge to do the no snooze button for a week, and only suceeded for 2/7 days. Definite awesomeness points for taking that on as a challenge

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hey, nice goals! Love your commitment to your morning routine despite hating mornings. And yes, we need video of the swing dance awesomeness. Also, wow, I am so the opposite of you with the extroversion - I am a total introvert! I might need to do the inverse of your goal, sometime - intentionally seek out human interaction instead of just doing things by myself. Going to the movies alone is actually kind of awesome sometimes - I find I get more absorbed in the movie, because I'm not subconsciously paying attention to the reactions of whoever I'm with - I'm entirely focused on the story. Anyway, good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes for you!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Can you find the link for his challenge? My searching skills don't seem to be up to the task

The challenge where he did the swing dancing video of himself was a few challenges ago, not sure if it is still archived somewhere or not

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hey! LOVE your goals and am feeling super inspired them (especially re: hating mornings and quality alone time). I have no doubt you will kick a healthy amount of tush this challenge!

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

human assassin | viper jock
STA: 6.25 | STR: 6.5 | CHA: 9 | WIS: 12 | DEX: 5 | CON: 6.5

Sister's Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Fitocracy

The challenge where he did the swing dancing video of himself was a few challenges ago, not sure if it is still archived somewhere or not

Really old challenges are harder to hunt down, but I found these two, which have videos:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/13371-atsealevels-keepin-it-up-push-pull-stand-dance-challenge/

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/15731-the-atsealevel-stomp/page-6

Unrelated, wow, the assassins have grown a lot in the past year! Awesome.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Hey, nice goals! Love your commitment to your morning routine despite hating mornings. And yes, we need video of the swing dance awesomeness. Also, wow, I am so the opposite of you with the extroversion - I am a total introvert! I might need to do the inverse of your goal, sometime - intentionally seek out human interaction instead of just doing things by myself. Going to the movies alone is actually kind of awesome sometimes - I find I get more absorbed in the movie, because I'm not subconsciously paying attention to the reactions of whoever I'm with - I'm entirely focused on the story. Anyway, good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes for you!

Definitely videos! I don't know how much awesomeness will be entailed, but you know how much I like videos. 

It's so funny how we're all so different. When I go TO the movies, I go primarily to watch the reactions of my friends HAHA. That's easily half the fun for me. I don't like to watch movies or TV alone very much, it's ten times better when I get to watch everyone watching the movie... [hey, I have two eyes, I can watch the movie and you at the same time...] It's pretty funny though, because I seem to attract introverts. I only have two extroverted friends, and the rest of my friends [Across 11 states!!] are all serious introverts and are like "ok I need some down time now." and thus I get stranded a lot. 

Yay, for swing dancing! Were you an assassin when SeaLevel did solo swing dancing for his  challenge? He learned some really cool moves and made a video. What are gorilla workouts? I was part of the mini challenge to do the no snooze button for a week, and only suceeded for 2/7 days. Definite awesomeness points for taking that on as a challenge

I don't think i was. I'd love to go track them down!! [nevermine, aeyrn found them for me!!]

Gorilla workouts is an iphone app, it's not free but I think it's like 99 cents. I really like them A LOT. They're body weight workouts that you do daily, and it slowly advances you up to full pull ups, one arm push ups, and pistol squats, through a lot of levels. Starts off really slowly. None of the workouts take more than like 20-30 minutes, and they're a lot of fun. For instance, yesterday I did:

Four rounds:

8 squats

4 lunges

10 knee push ups

And today I did:

2 rounds

15 supermans

15 dead bugs <--[my iphone is in spanish, and I didn't know this word for bug- we always use "insecto"- and I was like OMG, bicho muerto?!? what the heck is this excercise?! it has the word DEAD in it!!!! I don't want to!!!] 

So the're short and sweet but they really make you sweat by the end of the workout. I just reset it because I had to re-download the app, but previously I was on day 15 and there were 150 squats I had to do on Friday. 

I'd love to hear about the swing steps! Swing is fun, but it isn't a dance type that I can find easily, so I haven't learned anything beyond the very basics, but learning how to do it alone would mean I could dance wherever! Would you mind posting an explanation, video or something of each step you learn?

Heh. That put a laugh in me today!

Yes, of course I'll add videos! I'l even add explanations. I'm big on videos. 

Two things:

1. Elephants

I am excited for your challenge.  Looking forward to how the gorilla workouts treat you.  If I wasn't so obsessed with the gymnastics stuff right now, I'd probably be doing them too!

This was hillarious. Seriously, elephants swing danceing....my new favorite visual!

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Swing Kids was one of my favorite movies in high school!  We started a Swing Club, learned/taught people to swing, and we even all went to prom all dressed out.  Come to think of it, I wonder whatever happened to my zoot suit.  It's probably in the garage somewhere....

Your story is an entertaining read and your challenges are laid out so well.  Looking forward to following you :)

P.S.

Is the swing dancing replacing all of your violin time, or are you still going to keep at it?  I'd hate to see you drop it when you were getting so good.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

Love the goals! I'm with Aeryn--total introvert over here, and have to remind myself to be social sometimes. That's cool that you're looking for your balance. 

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Swing Kids was one of my favorite movies in high school!  We started a Swing Club, learned/taught people to swing, and we even all went to prom all dressed out.  Come to think of it, I wonder whatever happened to my zoot suit.  It's probably in the garage somewhere....

Your story is an entertaining read and your challenges are laid out so well.  Looking forward to following you :)

P.S.

Is the swing dancing replacing all of your violin time, or are you still going to keep at it?  I'd hate to see you drop it when you were getting so good.

I love swing kids so much. You seriously need to find that zoot suit! 

Thanks! I love writing the RP. I dabble in writing sci-fi so it gets my creative juices going [sometimes an RP train of thought will lead to an idea for a chapter in my actual book! I love it when that happens....]

I'm still totally doing the violin. I'm working on that piece to perform later this year, so I still have to work on it many times a week. Plus I love it, and can hardly walk by the thing without unpacking it and playing something.

Love the goals! I'm with Aeryn--total introvert over here, and have to remind myself to be social sometimes. That's cool that you're looking for your balance. 

See? More introverts, even online!! LOL. Love you guys anyway haha. 

I'm hoping to find some balance...I don't know if i'll find it lol. I did NOTHING alone today. I suck. 

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Eh I don't know. I'm pretty happy with 5k's for now. I might start pushing into greater distances later. I used to do pretty hefty running in grade school/early high school, like 5-7 miles a day [that's hefty for me] but I haven't really had the time to spend a few hours running. 

I don't know about the morning person thing...eeekk....*sigh* I'm going to dominate it for this challenge, and hopefully, it will STICK. I really really hope it will stick. 

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

I love swing kids so much. You seriously need to find that zoot suit! 

Thanks! I love writing the RP. I dabble in writing sci-fi so it gets my creative juices going [sometimes an RP train of thought will lead to an idea for a chapter in my actual book! I love it when that happens....]

I'm still totally doing the violin. I'm working on that piece to perform later this year, so I still have to work on it many times a week. Plus I love it, and can hardly walk by the thing without unpacking it and playing something.

It probably needs some serious tailoring, but I should search for it.

I'm glad you are keeping up on the violin.  Your last challenge really made me itch to try and learn the piano, since putting any real time into the drums again is pretty much out of the question.  Maybe one of these challenges....

Oh, and do we get to see some vids of your solo swing progress?  I can only imagine the hilarity that will ensue when Alcibiades tries to get underfoot and attack you during a Charleston.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

LOVE the challenge :) and congrats on passing into the next phase of training :D

Thanks!  :ph34r:

My last challenge was waking up at 5 every day and I still do that nearly every day. Now 7am is sleeping in!  If I can do it, then you can definitely do it!

Well, there's hope!! 

It probably needs some serious tailoring, but I should search for it.

I'm glad you are keeping up on the violin.  Your last challenge really made me itch to try and learn the piano, since putting any real time into the drums again is pretty much out of the question.  Maybe one of these challenges....

Oh, and do we get to see some vids of your solo swing progress?  I can only imagine the hilarity that will ensue when Alcibiades tries to get underfoot and attack you during a Charleston.

HAHA I bet she will!! There was a mini-challenge a few months back of lots and lots of jumprope, and she tried to catch the jumprope while I was using it.....she jumped from the top of the 4-drawer file cabinet......and landed on my kneecap.....

......owwwwwww.........

Maybe I'll just teach her to dance too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xG-xmxLods

And  you should totally pick up the piano! It's an amazing instrument. WAY easier than the violin, but it can get really complex and challenging in the more difficult pieces. 

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

In other news I just realized that one of the tags on my thread I accidentally wrote "sno snoozing" rather than "no snoozing".....I guess that's like hibernation? 

Get thee to a punnery!

In other news, SOLO SWING DANCING IS A THING?!?!?!?!  I've been wanting to learn how to swing dance for like, ever, but don't have anyone in the area that wants to learn with me (of course I know people in like 3 other states that would do it with me...).  I took a class once and loved it, but I'm seriously excited to learn how to do that.  :D

I also love your morning goal.  I was going to try a morning goal of yoga, but before I even wrote it down I was like, "There's no way I'm going to do that every morning.  It's not worth wasting a goal."  So best of luck to you in that goal!

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

Ok So mini-training report, because I know it's only 7am, but I think i've done all the challenge related stuff I'll have time for today [huge work day+packing for florida+mailing packages+selling some clothes at the consignment+tutoring].

Morning routine:

Got up without snoozing [yay me!] it was hard. I was up late last night tutoring as well, and it was way past my bed time. But I was up and at 'em at 6:13. 

Gorilla workout = Check! 4 rounds of 10 squats and 10 knee push ups. The knee push ups still feel really easy [i can do full push ups] but I've seen how quickly they will advance to more difficult so I am being patient [i don't really feel up to doing 90 full push ups on day 16, but I'm fairly confident that 90 knee push ups will be challenging-but-not-impossible]

Alone time:

Made some tea, turned on some bach, and sat down for ten minutes and read One [1!] scripture in the bible and made myself sit and think about it. 

This felt like the most contrived and forced thing ever. SO unnatural for me. Very awkward. 

I usually sit down and read a chapter or two, but I don't really pause to "digest" the material as much as I should. This is probably a very good exercise for me. But my ADHD was ALL OVER THE PLACE. 

"Ok so scripture about showing respect to those taking the lead, I can apply that in my life, hmm it mentions timothy, timothy was a cool guy, very mature young person, like my friend Will, boy I haven't talked to will in a while, I wonder what he's doing, he doesn't really like the winter much, and man it's cold, and i'm glad i'm going to florida in two days, and huh, I forgot to pack yesterday for florida, I have to remember my blazer for my job interview, I should probably look up interview strategies later- HOLY CARP, HN, FOCUS!!! Showing respect.....How can I apply this in my life?"

Then after this insanity, I got up and did 5 minutes of the stances that Kerbouchard posted, primarily horse, bow and arrow, cat, and low stretch. With horse in between each. Focusing on like, relaxation and focus.  [focusing on focus? Is this possible?]

So, so fat week 1 = 15 minutes of alone time. 

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Get thee to a punnery!

In other news, SOLO SWING DANCING IS A THING?!?!?!?!  I've been wanting to learn how to swing dance for like, ever, but don't have anyone in the area that wants to learn with me (of course I know people in like 3 other states that would do it with me...).  I took a class once and loved it, but I'm seriously excited to learn how to do that.   :D

I also love your morning goal.  I was going to try a morning goal of yoga, but before I even wrote it down I was like, "There's no way I'm going to do that every morning.  It's not worth wasting a goal."  So best of luck to you in that goal!

Solo swing dancing WILL be a thing by the time I'm done with it!!! LOL

Actually I think it's already been invented but I'm gonna be posting my videos of how I'm doing them as I go. [i'm a video fiend if you couldn't tell. I like the shiny moving colors....]

Swing is totally insanely fun. I hope you can learn some solo swing to! I'll be glad to help as I go. 

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines