Gem - In like a lamb, out like a lion... March Challenge

Malva

Name: Gem - I may be running but I am still a druid!

Goals:

Fitness: The primary goal is to continue c25k training program, running according to the schedule as weather permits.

Secondary is to integrate some kind of non-running day exercise that includes upper body strength training(?) - I will use this month to try out different fun methods for upper body workouts, like boxing or fitness bar, I am interested in range of motion + strength exercises too like kettlebell and the clubbing (someone posted an awesome video of this a while back), maybe some martial arts movements? I don't know, I just want to try some things. In the meantime, keep up my pushups (modified! - not on the ground yet, even LOL)

Eating: I am actively trying to lose weight. Counting calories, eating less carbs in general but when I do have them, they are slow carb - trying to just BE AWARE. Trying to make my calorie needs be in sync with my intake. Trying to make it work to eat the food I grow on my farm but still be fit - i.e. not too much pork:( I have lost 14 pound during this calendar year:)

Primary goal is to continue to track foods/exercise, and continue to lose weight. I am not setting a weight loss goal, just want to keep moving steadily in the right direction. Today: 220 pounds.

Secondary goal is to improve meal planning for me and the kids at lunch. Dinner is virtually impossible to plan except in the vaguest way, as my husband wants food totally on a whim. However me and the kids can have smoother days by planning lunches (we homeschool). I want to plan three lunches a week with their input. We just finished a nutrition study so they should have fun with this.

Life:I have a goal that I carried over from the last challenge, as I did not finish it. It is to clean up/prep the outside area where we are planning an addition onto our house. Need to get this done. Badly.

Second, I want to do two blog posts for my business www.SunshineForDinner.com. This was a goal last time as well and I did it! Need to do it again...have one post planned and pictures all ready, so I am progressing on this goal already.

Third, I want all books on the shelves by the end of the challenge. I have a ridiculous amount of both books and shelves, and get more all the time (I did mention homeschooling...got one kid just entering the age where you dive into a pile of books and come up for air when you satisfied your curiosity. I am not going to slow down on the book buying if I can help it.) Some of the old books have just got to go, in order for these piles of books to go on the shelves. Must get books on shelves. No more floor piles or boxes under the table LOL.

Bonus goal: I realize I am getting to many life goals listed here - but I really want to finish my resume and writing sample to put in a job application with eHow.

THIS CHALLENGE FINISHES ON APRIL 4 - two days before my 40th birthday. I need to finish strong for this milestone. okay, minor nervous breakdown is under control now - although may be first of many over the next month.

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3

Monday - 3-7-11

OK I was very awesome on Monday - because I finished up a weekend vacation in the Ozark Mountains, packed up the family, drove 5+ hours, unpacked the car, took care of the animals AND THEN DID MY SCHEDULED RUN!!!!!! before making dinner!

HaHa! It would have been so easy to put it off - and it really would have been fine if I would have, but I am getting to the point where it is more fun to do it than it is to skip it.

Hi Faline! It was amazing - and exhausting. I am such a homebody, it is hard for me to want to go anywhere :sigh: but once I am home again, I am always glad that I went.

Tues. 3-3-11

Not a running day.

This morning did 20 (modified) pushups and restarted my 200 squats program. Too easy for now but it gets too hard too fast. This go round I need to adjust the reps down as it gets un-doable.

Went a bit high on calories today - plus the simple carbs - due to totally delicious sushi lunch with my sister for her birthday. No regrets!

I am glad you came back for another challenge Gem! ...I am not finding a lot of people from the previous two challenges! lol

I keep starting and stoping the 200 squats, 200 sit ups, and 100 sit ups programs lol...I have restarted so many times I could have finished a few times over! But more important is the restarting ! I am stubborn and find value in my stubbornness (hubby would never believe I admitted this lol)

Hmm...Who can have regrets with Sushi? yummy! Sounds like a good day :)

Sadness Is Easy Because It is Surrender

http://twitter.com/#!/PsychoLoLCat

Yes I don't think anyone from my previous squad is here this time - I may have missed someone though - there are so many people signed up this time!

My 200 squats program just progresses too rapidly. I need to do each day twice or something. Maybe it is for teenagers or someone with titanium knees, I don't know. But yeah I keep going back to it LOL.

Wed 3-9-11

Week 7 run 2 finished. 25 mins running

Was a bit different. I incorporated some things that I have already learned in squad discussions. I kept my core engaged, watched my posture and kept my shoulders back, and tried to pay attention to my breathing. Deep breathing is what I thought you did involuntarily when you start getting really tired, so it sort of caught me off guard when I learned people were doing it intentionally while running. You can see I have a lot to learn. Obviously there is more to it than one foot in front of the other.

So with all this new stuff, plus my 10 yo running with me today ( and my usual companions, the big yellow lab and the tiny red Pomeranian), I am feeling a bit more fatigued than usual. That is a good feeling, like I worked hard.

Hmm my other goals: I logged all my food and exercise and came in within my calorie budget for the day, so successful there. Have two paper sacks filled with books ready to go to the donation place.

Hoping tomorrow is another beautiful day!

Good job with the 25 min. run. At this point, realistically, if you can run 25 min, you can complete a 5k. Have you already signed up for one? If not you should, it will be nice to have the pin in the calendar to keep motivated.

I'm a Week Late and Pissed Off Challenge 

"What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Ok Aidan - after I read that last night I did try to find some 5K races here - did find one in May (a race/walk - good then I won't be too embarrassed to walk a bit if I need to. Plus the kids could enter and that would be awesome!) and I know there is one sooner at a very podunk festival a few miles south, but I can't find a listing for it online. I will probably go for it - but BUT I am afraid of the pavement...I only tried to run on pavement once and it was bad, very bad. However, that was in the old days, that feel like a lifetime ago, when I was looking with trepidation at the 5 min runs on the schedule.

My friend that has run a few 5k races says that she is a slow runner and takes about 45 minutes to complete them. It seems that 30 mins is the time everyone is trying to get below. 45 minutes is a lot longer than 25 mins...

Hmm. I think I am going to spend some time soon walking my trail with a measuring wheel. Thought about getting one of those nike transmitters that attaches to your shoe and sends info to your ipod. That tells the distance you have gone - wish my ipod had gps function :(

Thurs 3-10-11

Did my 200 squats program - I think it was 44 squats total. Also did 40 modified pushups.

Somehow ended up working with my husband on a landscape maintenance job in the afternoon - and that pushed me into the negative side for my calorie budget LOL It is like a weight loss session only someone pays me $35/hour to do it LOL. Great work if you can get it.

Dropped off my book bags at the donation place (yay!) but forgot to bring the giant bag of outgrown kids shoes that is still sitting on the living room floor (boo!).

Well, I don't know. I went along my running track today with a measuring wheel - the total that I am running is about 6200 feet, maybe 1.2 miles. In 25 minutes LOL that is pretty slow! To do 3.1 mi would be like 1 hour ++. I am gonna have to pick up the pace a bit I guess.

Today should have been a running day, but I had afternoon/evening company and bullied them into going with me to walk the trail for measurement - so I walked almost 2 miles (my above measurement is just the part of the trail that I have been running). That was a bit of exercise - and I have been dragging today. Hope tomorrow is more energetic.

Glad to have the data, anyway. More to think about.

Sunday 3-13 11

Spring forward :( phooey.

Getting my exercise today by mowing with the push mower. Everything here is growing growing growing. That means mowing mowing mowing.

And we are planting in the garden - swiss chard, bok choy, cabbage (bit late for that but we will see what happens). Can't wait for it all to be big enough to eat!

I have been having a tough time staying below my calorie limit this week - and realized (again) that I do not have a good stock of low calorie/high nutrient density food on hand. So I am making a big pot of veggie-beef soup. I put it in the freezer in single serving bags and pull out when I am at a loss for something to eat.

I also stocked up on fresh fruit and veggies at the little grocery store in our town. Not going to town too often saves money, but I tend to be totally out of everything before I go to the store, and that is not so good.

Wed 3-16-11

Been droopy for a couple of days - me and one kid have a head cold. I have had no energy at all and have been starving like I usually am when I am feeling sick. Hard to keep from overeating. Both of us feeling on the mend today, and it was a beautiful day. Spent a long time working in the garden and

****finally started week 8 of c25k *****

28 minute run today, with 10 minutes walking.

Tomorrow is a long work day, then Friday is a running day, take kids to a birthday party on Saturday, then another running day on Sunday.

I have stayed within my calorie budget this week, and I did plan a couple of lunches which we ate. Have not done any upper body work for the last few days while I was feeling poorly - just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I give up! I am powerless against my springtime allergies! :(

Not only do I have a headache and sinus congestion and nasal drainage - I am devoid of energy. I will feel better in a few weeks. Claritin helps me keep my head above water, but that is about all...

Yesterday was a running day - and I did not go :( Started on a big project, did not keep an eye on the time and got to a point where I literally had a choice - I had time to either go running or empty and load the dishwasher before dinner - and I did the dishes.

bleh

Saturday 3-19-11

Went to a kids birthday party - and made a series of errors LOL from eating way too much pizza to going roller skating. Fell - of course - and twisted my ankle a bit. Not a sprain, but twisted enough so that it was sore for the whole rest of the day, although feels ok this morning. If it is still feeling good this evening I will do my run that I am 2 days overdue for... although I am getting plenty of exercise in the garden today :)

Mine was not the worst adult skating injury at the party - my sister fell and bruised her tailbone very badly - she is in the bed with an ice pack today and in terrible pain. I don't know what we were thinking....

Yeah - the roller skating was ... if we could turn back time and not go, we would LOL. But the kids had a blast! The roller skating did not come back as easily as riding a bicycle, if you get my meaning. I figured out very quickly that the action while skating is not at the feet, but in the torso. That is where all the action happens, including the little mistakes that make you fall on your butt LOL.

Sunday 3-20-11

Knocked out run 2 of week 8 - 28 minutes running. Was the hottest day that I have run yet - sweat ++ - it is unseasonably warm here, in the 80's and sunny. The heat will be a challenge as the summer comes fast.

Monday 3-21-11

very hot and strenuous work day - burned a lot of calories pushing a lawn mower. tired but it is a good, worked hard feeling. ankle pain from roller skating incident is totally resolved, I am happy to report.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines