Sven's challenge #3 - Foundations - Or: How to finish a challenge for once.

Sven

A quick look into my last two challenges reveals:

In the first one I participated in, I skipped a week or so, but managed to post a finishing post with an overall B. (But never got round to upping my character..)

I did not even finish my second challenge, just dropped the ball at some point and 'what the hell' took care of the rest.

I did decide not to participate in the last challenge because I was ill for the first three weeks and It would not have had much of a point.

But here I am again, finally trying to stick through the whole thing for once. I'll take it a little easier on the goals, making sure they are some progress towards some of my 2013 goals without having them become too overwhelming.

Some are rehashes of the last challenges, and I'll try to apply what I've learned from my failures..

Fitness / health goals:

- Drink 2 liters of water each day.

Hydration is a must for productivity and I've failed on this multiple times. Not this time!

30/35 of 42: +1 CON each, 40/42: +1 WIS

- Cold shower or at least washing my hair (full shower seems not always necessary) with cold water each morning.

More mental conditioning to start the day

28/42: +1 CON, 34/42: +1 CHR, 40/42: +1 WIS

- Exercise at least 3x / week.

If you're not improving, you're decaying. I need to get back into a routine. One will be BW exercises, one will be running 3k in my vibrams, no matter the weather conditions. The other(s) can be any of each or something completely different. Doing more in one week will NOT allow doing less in another.

6/9 BW exercises: + 1 STR each. 6/9 runs: +1 STR each

Life goal:

- Journaling each day.

Will lead to insights and improve memory. I need to collect more data to evaluate. Will try several apps for this.

30/35/40 of 42: + 1 WIS each (3 WIS total)

Bonus goal:

- Write my personal manifesto / creed.

Need to incorporate my values deep into my subconscious to have something to default to when willpower runs out. I'll have it finished at the end of the challenge.

+1 WIS, +1 CHA

Does anyone know why my tapatalk posts lack any line breaks when viewed in Safari? Always need to edit them once to show proper formatting..

Svane Krios, Level 1 Drell AssassinSTR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3Intro - Fitocracy - Lift - 2013 Goals - Life GoalsChallenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (current)"Amonkira. Lord of Hunters. Grant that my arms be steady, my mind be clear, and my feet swift.And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness."

Started early on the BW exercises.

Because of getting back into fitocracy and doing a quest I did 121 burpees and 85 BW squats during the day.

Logged some for a wrong day and therefore had to do more than the quest needed.

Yay!

(I'd rather start on the no snooze than the cold showers tomorrow, but that's not a health and fitness goal.. ) So.. 'Do what you fear' instead, I guess :)

Svane Krios, Level 1 Drell AssassinSTR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3Intro - Fitocracy - Lift - 2013 Goals - Life GoalsChallenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (current)"Amonkira. Lord of Hunters. Grant that my arms be steady, my mind be clear, and my feet swift.And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness."

I've been meaning to write my own manifesto for quite some time.  It started out as a desire to really focus my training, but as soon as I started figuring out the "why" behind my physical goals things really took on a life of their own.  Are you gonna post yours when it's complete?

P.S. Can you please do me a favor and edit your thread title to include your username?  This helps out us guild leaders and gets you eligible for winning the challenge after six weeks.  Thanks!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Yeah, I edited it. Will post the manifesto of course. Might even request some help for some catchy quotes to bring some of my points across.. We'll see :)

Progress report:

Water: Was on a birthday party on Tuesday and did not bring my second bottle and fell into bed right after, so one day missed. I renamed myself on the test system of our software development environment to remind me to drink something every time I start it up, which is very often in the day. I'm feeling good about this.

Cold showers: I'm easing back in, using cold water when washing hair and face only. When showering, I start warm and turn it really cold near the end so that there's still the mental hurdle but it is lower, for now. I'm fine about this, not a day missed yet.

Exercise: My abs are still sore from the 100+ burpees on Sunday, but I did another fitocracy quest BW workout yesterday and a 3k and some hill sprints (10x up and down each) for 50m each way for the mini challenge. Looks good!

Journaling: did this every evening using everyday.me app so far, not too hard but no major insights yet.

Manifesto: Nothing done yet but this is rather something for the weekend.

I hope you started your challenges equally successful!

Progress report:

Water drinking: It's tougher on the weekend with no structured daily order but everything's on track.

Cold showers: Same problem here, and I did not have a shower yesterday so that's one day missed.

Exercise: wanted to do something yesterday but spent the whole day about town with my girlfriend so it is either swimming or BW exercises today.

Journaling: Easiest goal of the challenge but the real use won't show until before some more weeks I guess.

Manifesto: Wanted to do something this morning but lost over three hours to heavy snooze abuse. Need to work on that as well, I'm losing so much time of my free weekends to this..

Hey, great idea there.. Could at least sketch up a rough summary and some bullet points to get started..

I'm progressing nicely on the other goals, did my fastest 3k ever in15:22. Will be great to see a new 5k time after the challenge, the first one in vibrams.. Gotta be faster than ever I guess :D

Up next: Strength training tomorrow or Thursday.

So, some weeks late, but I still want to wrap this thing up so that I can learn from it for the next challenges.

The first two weeks went fine, but then I caugth a nasty flu and was ill for a whole two weeks, which totally derailed my progress. Afterwards I fell into a do it now frenzy. Dit a lot of household chores in the evening that my girlfriend did not manage to take care of during the day, and finished some other projects including rearranging stuff and garden work.

All in all, I was pretty exhausted in the evenings, did not even manage to keep up reading my email, let alone reply or post progress here. I also completely lost in on my tracking, so most of the grades are just guesswork.

(The bug that messes up my post formatting when posting in Tapatalk also somehow threw me off)

Fitness / health goals:
- Drink 2 liters of water each day.

- Cold shower or at least washing my hair (full shower seems not always necessary) with cold water each morning.

- Exercise at least 3x / week.
If you're not improving, you're decaying. I need to get back into a routine. One will be BW exercises, one will be running 3k in my vibrams, no matter the weather conditions. The other(s) can be any of each or something completely different. Doing more in one week will NOT allow doing less in another.

Life goal:
- Journaling each day.
Will lead to insights and improve memory. I need to collect more data to evaluate.

Bonus goal:
- Write my personal manifesto / creed.

Does anyone know why my tapatalk posts lack any line breaks when viewed in Safari? Always need to edit them once to show proper formatting..

The water drinking goal is a very elusive one. It has been haunting me for several challenges and still does. But in the last two weeks, I have improved and it is much easier to do, mainly because it is warmer and I am exercising more again. Grade: D.

The cold showers were not that hard in themselves, but I did not find the need to take a shower daily when washing my hair was enough. I changed my behaviour to "when taking a shower, make it a cold one", and have only had one warm shower since, and that was after a hard day of Jugger tournament. Taking cold showers is just something I do now (although I still fear it sometimes), mostly because it wakes me up and is much better for my skin. Grade: B.

Exercising: I think I messed up on this one. Did not bother much with strength training, because I made myself so busy during the day. I went for some runs though, mainly because I signed up for a marathon relay event at work where I will be running a fifth of a marathon next thursday. So I did well on the running part, but need to get back into strength training. Grade: C.

For journalling I used the app "Everyday.me" which worked quite well for the purpose, but I did not find the time or energy to do it every evening. I completely stopped for the last month and have started again two days ago. I need some framework for this to have some ideas what to write about to make this work, but I still don't know if this will yield any benefit to me, so I feel pretty "meh" about that. Grade: D

I also did not take the time to write my manifesto / creed. Although I still have ideas and core values that I want to manifest in there, I did not get to do that. I'll pick it up again this next challenge. Grade: F

Overall grade: D.

I will not give myself any attribute points or level up (again), because I did not follow the challenge and write any updates most of the time. On to the next one.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines