MonsterDigs

MonsterDigs

• This needs some editing as I look at the mini challenge! So here we go edits in purple. 
  • I am planning on doing the challenge beginning tomorrow and so I have come up with the following plan. Not 100% sure I am doing this right so feel free to correct me where necessary.
  •  
  • My starting point...
  • Often in Ireland if you ask for directions you will be told that "If I was you I wouldn't start from here" and if I am honest I wouldn't start from here if I had any choice I know it isn't great but if i don't do something then it will only get worse so here we go.
  • Weight 248lbs, height 5' 8", i don't lift weights at the moment and i am only just starting on eating right and doing my best with Paleo.

I am an Ogre Mage, Strength 2, Dexterity 2, Stamina 2, Constitution 2, Wisdom 3, Charisma 4 (these things are relative when you are an ogre!)

My Goals,

I am an Ogre that dreams of being an assassin and so I am going to work up some magic over the next 6 weeks to achieve the following

Gym: Go to the gym at least 3 times a week and learn to work with weights do 15 minutes of the beginner routine x 3 each week

Str 2, Sta 2 Points 3x6 = 100%, 2x6 = 75%, 1x6 = 50% everything else fail and no going 6 time a week twice will not cut it, we are trying to build a habit here.

Week 1 75%

Week 2 100%

Week 3 100%

Week 4 100%

Week 5 100%

Week 6 75%

B

Diet: No chocolate or coffee for 6 weeks

Const 3 Charisma 2 This is an all or nothing kind of thing for me so stay off until end = 100%, one lapse = 50% everything else fail. That may be a bit harsh but i have to be if I am to do this right.

Week 1 100%

Week 2 100%

Week 3 100%

Week 4 100%

Week 5 100%

Week 6 100%

A - and I am most of the way through the first day post challenge with no coffee and only two squares of chocolate!!!! Amazed

Water: Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day

Const 3 So this is really a health thing for me (I am even keeping a chart like a kid :redface-new:  but again I am going to be a bit harsh. 8 glasses EVERY day = 100%, not reaching target 1-6 days = 66%, Not reaching target 7 - 12 days = 33% any less = fail. ALSO not drinking any water any day = fail.

Week 1   66%

Week 2 100%

Week 3 100%

Week 4 100%

Week 5 100%

Week 6 100%

A- giving my self an A as this is now a well entrenched habit.

Life Goal:

Do some marketing and PR and get one new client for at least 2 days work. I am going to give myself 6 mini challenges to get done over the 6 weeks and if I do one a week I get 100% if I miss one I get 66%, miss 2 = 33% anything less = fail.

1. Update website Done
  2. develop new programme to run Done
  3. contact old clients to see if they want a new programme Done
  4. update CV Done
  5. go to one networking event Done
  6. Send out new leaflet to mailing list Done

A and i am delighted did an extra networking event today (really just to get me out of the house as my head is still all over the place after such a horrid week last week.

Wis 3

I know that i have a lot more to do to get any where close to working at the level of most of the people here but if I got these things sorted it would get me a lot closer to my overall goals.

Welcome Monster. 

Firstly, even if you get told that "you shouldn't start here" you've still got to get to where you do need to start, right?  So you might as well start where you are and good on you for actually making the start.  You should be darn proud of yourself!!! We all have to start somewhere and some of us are sitting in an even worse situation than you, but we're just doing it and that right now is all anyone can ask of you :)

Secondly,  you have some really good goals there. You've started small, and cut things into bite size chunks and that's exactly how it should be done.  I'm going to keep an eye on you to encourage you and support you, so please pop any questions you have in here and also if you're struggling with anything, even if you have a w00t!!  We want it all :) You can do this!!

Go forth and conquer!!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Well that was an interesting first day.

Drinking that much water was quite a struggle but i did it - goodness knows how I am going to keep it up!

The real killer is no coffee and chocolate i knew there would be cravings but wow they could know a gal down!  They were not helped by the fact that I was in my fav coffee house with a friend for 2 hours chatting surrounded by so many of my fav things while drinking mint tea...at one point my friend asked who was i and what had i done with the real me  :numbness: i will admit to a somewhat relieved smugness on walking out and getting through day one without failing!

Work and real life took over so not much else achieved other than a little walk but the plans (for gym attendance and food) are coming together and I did manage 2 out of 3 meals to be paleo so it is  a start.

Let's rock this!

Thanks for that tip Athena it makes it a lot easier (especially as it is cold here these days so mint tea is a god send).

And so the update:

Still 100% off chocolate and coffee  :nevreness:

Managing 8 glasses of water a day and it will be easier now that I am including mint tea HOORAY!!!

Got to the gym and worked with weights until i couldn't lift any more and did squats with weights - i realise that this is just the start but getting my position right is very important as I can't risk my knee giving out (last time I was off my feet for weeks). I came away thinking i will hurt tomorrow - in a good way.

Working on the CV life goal and have it 100% up to date and I am happy enough with it - it is lovely to have something done :)

i also have had a look at lots of other posts on here and it really is a great forum to be part of. I am loving the encouragement given to everyone no matter what their challenge is, so much nicer than only the top few being cheered on.

Thanks for that tip Athena it makes it a lot easier (especially as it is cold here these days so mint tea is a god send).

And so the update:

Still 100% off chocolate and coffee :nevreness:

Managing 8 glasses of water a day and it will be easier now that I am including mint tea HOORAY!!!

Got to the gym and worked with weights until i couldn't lift any more and did squats with weights - i realise that this is just the start but getting my position right is very important as I can't risk my knee giving out (last time I was off my feet for weeks). I came away thinking i will hurt tomorrow - in a good way.

Working on the CV life goal and have it 100% up to date and I am happy enough with it - it is lovely to have something done :)

i also have had a look at lots of other posts on here and it really is a great forum to be part of. I am loving the encouragement given to everyone no matter what their challenge is, so much nicer than only the top few being cheered on.

You did so well, monster. Good going on avoiding chocolate and coffee :)

And we're all equal here no matter the challenge or where we are in our challenge :) glad to have you as part of the family

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

So a quick update on things i am doing ok with most of my goals but not got back to the gym this week due to travel (and a hotel with no gym and not enough room to move never mind work out in the room) i did go for a little walk instead but that just isn't the same.

I am still off the coffee and chocolate AND i haven't killed anyone!!! (Yet).

i am doing well on the drinking water I am finding that the more i drink the easier it is and I and getting through 8 glasses of water as well as some mint tea :)

Had some fried food yesterday and do not feel the better for it today yuck :( I think that my tastes are slowly beginning to change my system doesn't seem to want to cope with fast food and the stuff I used to eat all the time.  I am still craving sugar and bread/pasta but trying to cut down on all that sort of thing.

So that is it for this week I will get to the gym today after shopping and housework are done and I am taking Sunday off as I am going to go see people and catch up with life in general.

Good job so far. Someone would definitely be dead if I tried to give up coffee.. I love mint though. Maybe I should try mint tea. What brand is good? I drink lots of water too. Never really crave soda, but sometimes I drink it for a treat. I'm just starting too...slower than lots of people on here, but I know I can't overwhelm myself. Once I have the basics down, I can have loftier goals! Have a great weekend!

Sara

HI All 

Sara I go for the organic peppermint that my local shops sells but I often just crush fresh mint into hot water as well!

So I have gone to the gym already today as if I don't i will find some excuse not to!  I am surprised that the gym is the one i am not achieving i defo thought the coffee / chocolate deprivation would end me but no it seems that the world does in fact still turn though I do notice that Cadbury's have had to significantly increase their advertising just to make up for what I am not buying (I am not joking).

Am doing really well with the water / tea thing and have upped it to 10 glasses/cups a day 

i have still not had any chocolate coffee!!! wow!

Going to work on developing an new programme this week - it will be on interview skills as I do a lot of coaching in that area so a training day will be no harm.

And finally in order to make sure that i don't miss any more gym sessions I have booked to meet a trainer 3 times a week for the next 4 weeks and if that doesn't set the habit nothing will!  Well it will either kill me or cure me as they say :)

Hope you all have an amazing week.

Thanks...next time I go to the store I'm gonna get some organic mint tea if I can find it. I was gonna walk/run outside today, but it's snowing here and there's ice under the snow...too dangerous. I work from 12:30-11 pm at night. We have a gym at work with v. nice equipment in it and even showers. I joined along time ago cause it's only $20 a month, but I have yet to try it. My goal is to go at least once this week. I don't want to cancel my membership until I at least give it a try.....glad you're going strong...especially with the water and choc/coffee goals. Have an awesome week!

Sara

Update

OK so I am not going to lie it is not getting any easier to stay off coffee and chocolate esp. as I have been out so much lately.  The waiter at one of my fav. restaurants nearly had a heart attack when I said no to the desert menu (after only having a starter THAT WAS A SALAD!!!).  I often don't have much real food so I can go OTT on their amazing deserts  :nightmare:

GYM - twice this week so far and booked in for Friday as well

Diet: still 100% off C&C, drink 8-10 glasses of water each day {this IS getting easier thanks goodness}

Life- new client on board this week I am VERY happy about this.

Is it bad that i am counting down the weeks? oops  :orange:

Well this weeks update is quite encouraging I have hit all of my targets so far and comfortable enough doing so.

I also got myself together enough to do the mini challenge.

I have been to the gym 3 times, drank at least 8 glasses of water (usually 10), no coffee or chocolate, and got the best of my life goals sorted with my new client met and work begun.  I am very happy.

Levelling up next week by pushing harder at the gym and trying to do something active on my non gym days (quick walk or yoga).

Here is to next week.

So to end this week I am doing ok

Still 100% off coffee and chocolate even after two days visiting family!!! This is very good going for me.

Managed to keep up with the water and it is beginning to become a habit which has really surprised and delighted me.

Gym 3 times this week and life goals well on track.

On a side note I am delighted to say that i have gotten so many complements this weekend that even though I am not seeing a difference on the scale something must be happening as several people commented that i am looking particularly well, skins is great etc.

Today I am a very happy girl.  It has to be said I am not finding it easy by any stretch but i am sticking to it and if I can keep up this for the 6 weeks I really feel that i will be in a much better place.

Much love. 

So to end this week I am doing ok

Still 100% off coffee and chocolate even after two days visiting family!!! This is very good going for me.

Managed to keep up with the water and it is beginning to become a habit which has really surprised and delighted me.

Gym 3 times this week and life goals well on track.

On a side note I am delighted to say that i have gotten so many complements this weekend that even though I am not seeing a difference on the scale something must be happening as several people commented that i am looking particularly well, skins is great etc.

Today I am a very happy girl.  It has to be said I am not finding it easy by any stretch but i am sticking to it and if I can keep up this for the 6 weeks I really feel that i will be in a much better place.

Much love. 

Great to get those compliments. Keep going strong Monster!

So a quick update before hitting the hay.

I went to the gym today as I know I will miss my usual session tomorrow cuz of work - felt very virtuous as a result.

Went out for dinner this evening with an old friend and stuck to the plan (I am writing this down because I am surprised) we went for Tapas I i didn't have the usual carb loaded stuff instead had grilled sardines and pork with salad...things are definitely a changing! I also said no to desert as I figured it would negate the time i spent in the gym!!!! Who knew I could be so sensible.

Here is to making the right choices again tomorrow  :redface-new:

That's such good news Digs. It's the small changes that win the overall battle. Smalls gains :)

Keep going.

My challenge

That's such good news Digs. It's the small changes that win the overall battle. Smalls gains :)

Keep going.

You said it AngelBlaidd and I am doing a bit towards that goal every day :)

SO today I didn't get to the gym as I was in training all day so to make up for that I walked to the training centre (30mins) and back again via an Asian market (40mins) so I am feeling GOOD - well shattered as it was cold and wet out but still I did it. *Confession I did look longingly at every taxi that passed me for the last 20 mins.

Still 100% on the coffee & chocolate and water goals and getting some work done on the life goal on updating my web site (I began a new blog today).

On a side note I am also tracking my weight and size but not seeing as much movement as i would like.  I am going back to tracking my food every day to see if the problem is there (I'm eating about 1500 cals a day and would have thought to be loosing about 2lbs a week but that is just not happening) I may be a bit unrealistic with this or the problem might be in how my cals are made up from reading other posts on here. i eat fruit most days and some veg as well as some type of protein and i think that my carbs are just too high (usually about 30 - 40% of my daily intake).

Going to spend some time trying to figure that out over the rest of the challenge.

Doing ok...all the small steps adding up.

Hi Digs,

If the scales aren't helping, then remember that your body composition is changing - you will be gaining muscle and losing fat as your body adapts to the demands you are placing on it.  Muscle is denser than fat, you can be losing inches but not losing weight.  Try not to get hung up on what the numbers say, instead look at how your clothes fit, how you feel, and bask in the compliments!  Good luck with the rest of your challenge.

Level 1 Female Human Ranger

STR 2, DEX 1, STA 5, CON 2, WIS 4, CHA 1

Hi Digs,

If the scales aren't helping, then remember that your body composition is changing - you will be gaining muscle and losing fat as your body adapts to the demands you are placing on it.  Muscle is denser than fat, you can be losing inches but not losing weight.  Try not to get hung up on what the numbers say, instead look at how your clothes fit, how you feel, and bask in the compliments!  Good luck with the rest of your challenge.

thanks for that I need the reminders every now and again. If I am honest i know I have a long journey ahead of me this weight didn't go on over night and it will take a while to drop in a healthy way.

In the past I have done drastic diet Quick Fix options that worked in the short term I lost 6 stone in 4 months a few years back but it all piled on again as soon as I stopped walking/running 6 hours a day with a 800 - 1000 cal limit!!! Not the best idea just in case anyone is toying with the idea, I lost all the nutrients in my system, my hair and teeth changed colour and began to fall out and I looked ill all the time.

So back to today and being healthy, I am not starving I am eating much better than I used to drinking LOTS of water 10 - 12 glasses a day, doing more exercise even if it is just walking to the shop instead of taking the car. I have to remind myself that i am doing this slowly for a reason. It is not a race, there is no deadline, I am just trying to build better habbits.

So this weeks update:

Gym went twice and a really long walk to make up for the day missed - i'm going to call that a win, I am also going to see if I can fit in the gym tomorrow but as it is Paddy's weekend the gym may not even be open.

Water - Rockin this now I find I miss it and feel thirsty if I am short on my 6 glasses by lunch :)

Chocolate / Coffee: had a couple of VERY doggy moments where I was very close to giving in but the idea of having to come on hear and write that i failed was enough to stop me esp. as there is no excuse other than I REALLY WANT COFFEE AND CHOCOLATE CAKE.  I used to have it nearly every day so about 3pm I am craving and it is a tough one to stop :/

and on the life goal i did a networking event yesterday so tick I am happy with that I might even get some work out of it :)

As it is Paddy's weekend and a bank holiday I am taking the weekend off - I will still stick to the challenge but I am not going to kill myself over trying to be 100% perfect Paleo and there shall be a few drinks consumes - I am Irish after all!!!!

Have a great weekend folks,

Much love,

MD

So my update for the weekend...

Well I was better than i thought I would be. i had basically said to my self that I could have whatever I wanted other than Coffee and Chocolate and i HAD to drink all the water.  

As it turned out I still made good choices with a couple of exceptions, I had a spud with dinner on Saturday and carrot cake for desert. On Sunday I had a slice of pineapple cake and a scoop of Ice cream after a very healthy dinner. So not too bad for me.  I also fasted both the mornings after having deserts so I am quite happy with my decisions.

I did a little yoga on Saturday as well so that I could get a Hollow and superman hold in  :rolleyes-new: they are very hard for me - my lower back is not loving me much atm but I am going to stick to it as a practice. I really know how much I need to stretch.

Here is to another great week  :peaceful:

MD x

well now, that's a good weekend.  You did fantastically. I would love to see what else you've done this week :)  How're things going?

My challenge

HI All, 

Finally have time for an update I was travelling for work and so busy I didn't have time to log in.

I am happy to say that I rearranged my gym session to Tuesday so that i could get it in before I left.  I brought two huge bottles of water in the car with me to make sure I stuck with that part of the plan and get this I DIDN'T EAT THE CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES!!!!

The hotel I stayed in had a lovely welcome gift of chocolate covered strawberries and a chocolate cake and I ignored them. No that is not true i looked at them longingly and then put them in the wardrobe where I couldn't see them but I didn't EAT them and that is the important bit.

I also said no to the sandwiches that were put out at lunchtime and asked for a salad (that got some funny looks from my colleagues let me tell you!).

I also had a very healthy paleo dinner in the gourmet restaurant (I don't think the chef was too impressed with me but I can life with that I am impressed with me :) )

SO that is my update I am pleased enough with my meals I am averaging 1500 - 1800 cals per day for the last week (Down from about 3300 pre NF- it is really very scary when you add up all the cals that you can consume without thinking).

i know I have a very long way to go but i keep reminding myself that every good decision is a step in the right direction so I am still on the path.

I have also decided to give myself the gift of a Detox wrap if I can stay this good until the end of the challenge (I have saved enough from not having coffee and cake every day to afford a wonderful spa treatment).

well now, that's a good weekend.  You did fantastically. I would love to see what else you've done this week :)  How're things going?

So i hope that has you all filled in and I am delighted to be able to say "things are going fine!" this is working for me so far and I am able to get over the bumps ~ and there are lots of bumps like the friend who made me my fav. chocolate cake cuz she knows I love it and me having to tell her that i love her for the thought but I couldn't eat any (her kids were delighted, it is great cake).

and it is tough to get used to spending hours on the road without stopping for coffee and muffins - it is tough just to stay awake!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Stay strong.

MD x

EEEEkkkkkkkkk This has been the hardest day by a long shot!

i have the worst cravings (for no real reason) i just found out my car need a lot of work that will be very expensive and my usual go to of coffee and cake is a no no so I am feeling very miserable atm

i tried going to the gym but that just made me feel even worse - I hate to be surrounded by all the fit pretty people (even though they are all very nice people I am sure) i don't feel like i fit in.  To top it off I have just had my dinner date cancelled so I am well p'd off and seriously just want to get all the takeaway food and cakes.  I have been pacing the floor for an hour nothing seems to be working for me today.

OK rant over...i'll get back to my pacing...kthanxby

MD

Hey MD, good news! We ALL have days like that, even the greatest amongst us! You've done so well, so far in not giving into your cravings - I wish I was that strong.

As for the gym, I get that!! I feel like a Sweaty puffy heffalump amongst all the pretty little sleek not so sweaty gazelles. But then I remember something: I'm the only one in the free weights area (I go to an all girl gym) and my sweat is just a reminder that I am working my ass off!! When I'm frustrated I head straight to the boxing bag and work my frustration out there, before heading to the free weights!

Keep going and we are here for you! Skype me if you want. Xx

My challenge

AngelBlaidd you are a sweetheart.

It makes it even harder to confess that i blew it last night.  I was ok all day went for tea with friends (part of the connections) and said no to all the lovely cakes but when I got back I was in really bad form. I did some exercise to try to get rid of it but nothing worked and I completely gave in to the comfort eating solution  :moody:

I didn't just have one but i finished a whole box of jelly donuts  there was 1100 cals in them!!!!! I would like to say I went to the gym this morning and worked it all off but to top it all off i have no energy today at all even the trainer in the gym asked what was wrong as I was so off form and lacking energy.

The only positive is that I didn't give in to the packet of chocolate biscuits as well and I didn't have the coffee that would have made them taste even better and I am making up for it this week with a very healthy 1200 cals per day plan.

Drinking water is even easier than usual today it is like my body wants all the crap out of it asap, and so I am taking it as a glitch in the master plan and getting back to basics this week. Only two weeks to go to the end of the challenge and I am determined to do better.

Here is to being stronger in every way.

MD

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines