obax - Infiltration: Stage 1, Subsection 1.7(ii)

obax

Alrighty. Challenge the Second: accepted. My goals are as follows:

Goal #1 - Beeeeep!: Part Deux (STA +2)

So last challenge, I achieved my beep test goal, but I think it was less because of any physical improvement and more because of sheer willpower when I ran it the second time. Running was very frustrating to me during the last challenge, and by the end I was in quite a funk because of it. This time 'round, I've got a new plan that seems less intense and more practical, and therefore (hopefully) less frustrating.

The running plan consists of a short, fast run (2-3km), a long, slow run (4-5km) and running the beep test itself. This will likely happen Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday, or Monday-Wednesday-Friday. I'll continue my strength training on the other days, and play a sport 1 day per week (so 2x strength + 1x sport, or 3x strength, depending on the week).

My goal is still to improve at least 1 level in the beep test (from 5 to 6). This one is hard to give grades to, since it's sort of all or nothing. I say an A grade is improving by 1 level, a B grade is improving by 1/2 level, and no improvement is a fail. I will, however, give myself bonus points if I improve more than 1 level (0.5 bonus points for every extra 1/2 level gained). For reference, I need to achieve level 6.5 to pass my test, but would like to be capable of achieving level 7 to give myself some wiggle room for nerves.

Goal #2 - Make it Tasty (CON +2, WIS +2)

This goal is to cook more for myself. Which maybe doesn't sound like a diet goal, per se, but I often eat cobbled-together meals, especially when I have to take food with me to work. I work at a place that sells food, but it's almost all crap food. When I don't bring a full meal with me, plus maybe a snack, I find myself supplementing with things that are not good for me, such as chips (which are my main food weakness). This will require more planning than I usually do, as well as me being less lazy than usual, two things that are usually quite challenging for me. But if I make healthy food available to myself, then I will eat it instead of chips.

This is mainly an issue with lunches and dinners. I'm not a natural breakfast eater, so those tend to be cobbled-together anyway, and the breakfasts that I eat are actually pretty good already, so I'm not concerned about that. I want most of what I eat to be paleo-ish, so I'm gonna have to learn some new recipes (egg monster, anyone?), but I'm also not against eating some oats, rice or quinoa on occasion, so being paleo is not actually part of the goal. And I really need to eat more veggies. Since I don't cook much currently, and don't like many veggies raw, and am way too lazy for salad, I eat a lot of carrots and the occasional pepper, and that's about it. I want to get on the sweet potato bandwagon, get some squash to roast, try out this thing called celeriac, etc., etc,. The point is, if I prepare veggies ahead of time, I will eat them, and eat a lot of them, but if I'm left with raw veggies only, I will eat only 1 or 2 kinds and not enough of them.

Grading will be and A if I eat 1 or fewer cobbled-together meals per week, a B is 2 per week, C is 3 per week, and anything more than that a fail. Not that cobbled-together meals are necessarily a bad thing, but the point of this is to make a new habit of cooking stuff. Oh, and no chips. Chips=fail!

Goal #3 - A Balancing Act (DEX +2, STR +2)

This goal is to do some kind of balance practice. I'm not the most graceful of people. I rarely actually fall over, but it's not unusual for me to trip over a gust of air (it's better since I've started strength training in VFFs, but still needs work...). I also want to do some arm balancing practice, specifically working towards being able to do the crow pose, which will double as a strength workout for my wimpy girly arms.

For leg balancing, I will practice this with every stretching session, which means I should be doing it every day. For the arm balancing, I will practice this 3x per week, probably on strength days, and if I feel like I could do it more I will. I have a progression towards a crow pose and am still on step one (my practice thus far has been pretty haphazard), hopefully by the end of this I'll be at least at step two, though the point of this goal is to practice, not to make specific progress, so getting to step two is not actually part of the goal. 

An A will be not missing any day of either. A B will be missing one day of either per week. A C is missing 2 days of either per week, and a D is missing 3 days of either per week. Anything more than that is a fail, and anyway, I don't think there's an E grade any more... This may require a bit of finagling at the end of it, depending on which one I miss in a weak (eg. missing 3 days of arm balancing practice in one week is much different than missing 3 days of leg balancing practice in one week).

Goal #4 - Let's Have Some Fun! (CHA +2, WIS +2)

This goal is an attempt to combat the Canadian Winter Blues and the Running is Frustrating Funk that have had me securely in their grips for at least the last week or two and off and on before that.

I joined the Old People Parkour Possee and the first challenge was to do some quadrupedal movement. I took up the challenge, had some fun at the start, and then promptly got funkified and let it fall by the wayside. So I will do some sort of QM at least 3x per week, even if just for 5 minutes or so. I think this'll be a good way to remind myself there's more to life than running in circles/lines, and that the sun will come back out eventually, and give me a bit of a break from the police-centric training.

An extra will be to try out climbing. I think my sister may have something along these lines in the works as a birthday present. She owes me a giant favour, and I feel like holding my hand during an introductory climbing lesson might be it. I've always wanted to give climbing a try, but a combination of lack of funds and fear of new things has kept me from doing it so far. This will be a bonus only, since I'm not certain that's her plan, and even if it is I'm not sure she can afford it any more than I can, so if it doesn't happen this time 'round, I'll keep it as a future goal, and if it does happen, then I shall say yay.

There may be other extras along the way, we'll have to see what I come up with. The grading will apply to the QM only, with a potential for bonus point depending on the extras. An A is not missing any QM sessions. A B is missing 1 per week, a C missing 2 per week, and more than that is a fail. I'll probably be a bit lenient with this goal, if I miss a QM session because I'm doing something else fun, then that's still a success. Being too rigid with this goal kinda defeats the purpose of it being fun.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Smart thinking, doing the thing that causes LESS frustration. By the beep test, did you mean the pacer test? And are you doing it from a recording, or what? Cause I haven't done it in a while, but it'd be a great thing to do, come to think of it.

Raina, level 4 Halfling assassinSTR 12|DEX 12|STA 6|CON 10|WIS 6|CHA 7

I've never heard the term 'pacer test' before, so it may or may not be the same. The way it works is, you have 2 lines 20m apart, and a second set of lines 2m in from the 20m lines, called warning lines. You run back and forth between those lines, and have to make it over the warning line before the beep, and the beeps get closer and closer together with each level. I have to do it as part of a test I need to pass to become a police officer, it's not something I do for fun...

And thanks, Wolverine! I'm looking forward to it, I've been in a bit of a funk of late, so I'm hoping I can make a couple of the goals more fun than work to get myself out of it.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Ha! The internet didn't eat anything today! Woo!

Today shall be a run day. I'm going to try to do a short hard run, but set myself up for a bit of failure with my late night last night (instead of going right to sleep after my post disappeared, I read a bunch of people's challenge threads instead). I will do what I should today, but it might not be pretty...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Oh, and some things that I want to continue doing but don't actually count towards the challenge: daily stretching/mobility work, especially after workout. Limit wheat/gluten intake. Limit refined sugar intake (honey in coffee and yoghurt is ok, and I'm not freaking out over sauces etc. made by others, but that is all) Yoga again, of the hot variety this time, even though I hate the heat. Continuing with the process of fixing my peepers for the police requirements (appointment has been moved to March 6, but will still happen).

Ok, no more delays, I'm off to the track! Wish me luck with not puking in front of the airplane guys...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Heya Obax! I'm glad to see you coming for another Challenge!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

So today I got in a kinda ok run. I was very tired and my legs felt like rocks, and my lungs were burning by the end. I made it 1km at the fast speed, with 2 stops to walk (50m for the first, about 100m for the second). I wasn't able to time myself accurately because I left my digital watch at home, but by my analog watch it was 6-7 minutes, which is not good at all for 1km. I'm trying really hard to not let the I Hate Running Funk get a hold of me again, but it's hard.

The other goals were pretty much non-starters, due to poor planning on my part. You'd think that, if I knew on Sunday that I was going to start cooking stuff for myself on Monday, I'd maybe go get some stuff to cook before Monday came around. Sadly, my brain does not work that way, which is partly what I'm trying to change with all these habit-forming goals. My lunch was good, if not exactly wheat-free, but I had a cobbled-together dinner. Not that it was a bad dinner (2 small cans of tuna with olive oil, 1/2 red pepper, 1 medium-ish carrot, 1 navel orange), and I didn't buy anything unhealthy to go with it. I did eat the last of the chip crumbs when I got home, but those were bought last week, and if I left them there they'd just tempt me (this is something else I should have done on Sunday...). So I'm giving myself a freebee and calling myself ready to start tomorrow, and also calling that a lesson learned. Next time I shall plan properly on the day before the challenge actually starts, to make sure I have everything I need in place for my goals. I was planning (actually planning, not last-minute planning) to go get some stuff to cook with tomorrow during the day, but now I have to work. So lunch tomorrow could be a bit cobbled-together, unless there are some leftovers from whatever my parents had for dinner, which I think there should be.

The other two goals didn't happen either, due to poor time management on my part. I did choose stretching over posting this directly after my run, which is something, and I technically did some QM when I was moving myself around to do a stretch around the dog, who was 'helping' me.

I'll be going to the gym after work tomorrow, then to the store for food. I'll definitely be doing the balance stuff as part of my workout/stretching. I'm going to try to get some QM in when I get home after that, depending on how tired I end up being, but I also may choose to make food instead (gonna try for both).

Which reminds me, I should thaw some meat tonight if I'm going to cook it tomorrow. Lookit that! I'm planning ahead!!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Don't worry about the running. Of course it will be hard the first few times. I wouldn't get so down about the minutes. Look at it as a chance to improve yourself! Just remember that these things take time - don't give up!  I'm cheering for you.  :snowman:

Giving yourself a freebe is okay, but don't use the same excuses over and over again. I'm glad that, despite not having a lot of the healthy food at home, you still managed to make something healthy!  Kudos!  Make sure you go and get some good foods today. Well done for beginning to plan ahead!

I think it's great that you stretched even if you couldn't get anything else in. Maybe you don't have to do everything in one day?  I usually spread my goals out, like I have running and pushup goals, but I alternate those days. Running can take a lot out of you, so maybe if you staggered, you'd get more in?  Just a thought.  You are doing well!

Level 17 Half Kender Assassin
XP 1700

The cooking goal has my respect and love.

Well then, I better get on it. I'm actually excited to get going on it, I enjoy cooking, especially freesylin' it without a recipe.

Don't worry about the running. Of course it will be hard the first few times. I wouldn't get so down about the minutes. Look at it as a chance to improve yourself! Just remember that these things take time - don't give up!  I'm cheering for you.  :snowman:

Giving yourself a freebe is okay, but don't use the same excuses over and over again. I'm glad that, despite not having a lot of the healthy food at home, you still managed to make something healthy!  Kudos!  Make sure you go and get some good foods today. Well done for beginning to plan ahead!

Normally I wouldn't be upset about the running, except that I know I'm capable of a much better time than that, even with walking. But I'm just trying to take it as it comes and not get down about poor performances right at the beginning of the challenge. It's just leftover negativity from the running portion of my last challenge. And don't worry, those excuses won't make a reappearance. I'm notorious for my lack of planning, and am generally a slow starter when I start anything. Monday ended up being a preparatory day when it should have been a proper challenge day, but now I'm in a challenge frame of mind and ready to go.

I think it's great that you stretched even if you couldn't get anything else in. Maybe you don't have to do everything in one day?  I usually spread my goals out, like I have running and pushup goals, but I alternate those days. Running can take a lot out of you, so maybe if you staggered, you'd get more in?  Just a thought.  You are doing well!

This is the plan. Today was an odd day because I had to work unexpectedly which threw a wrench into everything. Some kind of stretching needs to happen every day just for me to stay pain free and relatively limber, and leg balance has been a part of that for some time for me, I just want to focus on that a bit more. The arm balance is a strength day thing, since it's be a bit of a strength workout for me too, and I want to start the habit of QM soon, if I start making up reasons why I won't already I'll let it slide for the whole challenge, that's just how I am.

Today's update: Worked all day, then went to the gym. I was beat before I got there and only did 2 sets instead of 3, but took extra time to stretch like crazy. Leg balance practice was achieved after I got home. I'm going to go into the basement after I post this and play around with a bit of QM, but it might not last long, I'm crazy tired and also my arms are shot after the gym. 

Didn't make it to the store for food, I came out of the gym and Snowmaggedon's little brother was giving a repeat performance, and he brought gale force winds along with him for the encore. The roads weren't too bad, but I decided to get home safe before too much snow accumulated and made things really crappy. I'll go tomorrow, the plows will have been out by then.

Edit: I did some QM and some arm balance practice. I used the basement, and it's much easier with more space. It's hard on my wrists, but they seem to feel better as I go. The QM was fun, even if it was hard work. I'm looking forward to doing more when I'm not so tired. I'll have to give it a go at the gym, see if I can do some up and down with a step or two instead of just back and forth.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Food: acquired! (Finally).

I shall be making a version of this at some point today, as well as cooking and mashing a sweet potato for my future eating pleasure. I might roast or steam some veggies too, and make nice little containers full of goodness for taking to work/pulling out of the fridge whenever I want/need a tasty meal. I couldn't find grass-fed beef at my store, but I got some that at least pretends to be better than the corn-fed stuff. I also got some organic/free-run/naturally-fed ground chicken, I think I will make 2 little loaves, one of each kind of meat, rather than 1 big loaf (I might make only 1 loaf now and 1 loaf later, I haven't decided yet...). I did find some decent bacon, with simple, pronounceable ingredients, I'm looking forward to some sort of frittata in my future too.

'Tis a run day today. I want to run outside 'cuz doing 4km on the track is BORING, but it's super cold/damp outside. I think I'd be fine once I get going, but it hard to get motivated when it's a perfect day for curling up on the couch with a book. I WILL go, though, I promise.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

YAY!!!! And that meal looks delicious. I might bookmark that. Thanks for sharing.  Good ideas on the food. Running outside when it's cold and wet sucks at first, but you'll barely notice after a while. good luck!

Level 17 Half Kender Assassin
XP 1700

I ran my usual 4km outdoor route, which involves a good number of hills, which will be duly logged for the mini-challenge. I had a decent time, which was nice, seeing as my times have been crummy lately. It was a bit better than my 'usual' time for the same route. Did an ok stretch after, will likely do some more after dinner, as well as some leg balance practice. And maybe some arm balance practice too, my arms/shoulders feel good today.

Note to self: dig out the goggles next time you run when it's snowing. Icy flakes in the eyeballs is a no feeling.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Mmh. I might have expected more fire in "fire roasted bacon meatloaf". For a second I pictured you outside, holding random pieces of meat above a fire.

I know! I got all excited when I read that too for the very same reason, and was a bit disappointed to find out it only referred to tomatoes. As it was, I didn't put any tomatoes in at all, I sorta made up my own recipe and used that as a guideline for amounts. Sort of, anyway, I didn't end up measuring anything, which is how I usually cook. It's cooling it the fridge as we speak, I'll be eating it tomorrow for dinner at work with mashed sweet potato and (probably) some steamed veggies. I decided to steam them tomorrow and play video games for the first time in a long time tonight instead.

I'll have to look around more on that website, I didn't look at any of the other recipes, but if this turns out good I'll have to check out some others.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Hey, I have my first official side quest (other than the Assassin's Mini Challenge)!

I got into a small discussion on Red1263's challenge thread about the insanity level of doing 100 jumping jacks all at once. Red does that as a warmup before all his workouts, and this seems insane to me. But then it occurred to me that I've never actually tried to do 100 jumping jacks in one go, and I shouldn't go commenting on a person's insanity without actually trying the thing I think is insane, because it might not be so bad in reality. SO. I'm going to try it, probably Saturday during the day as an extra to playing hockey that night, but maybe tomorrow instead, depending on how I feel after I run my beep test (I doubt I'll try it directly after, but maybe later that night if my legs haven't fallen off by that point).

On a side, note, look! I had a picture of mine put on the CBC website! Normally I don't think that's much of an achievement, they run a monthly contest and I think they just post everything that gets entered so long as it's not, like, pornographic or anything. But mine got into the Editor's Choice gallery as well as the contest gallery, which I think means at least someone thought it was cool. Yay me!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I love that you're picking up random side quests! I do jumping jacks as part of my warm-up, too, though usually only 50. And congrats on the picture - it's so cute!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Thanks! I don't actually do much of a warm up, especially before strength workouts, even though I know I should. I decided today was the day where I would warm up, but then some small self-conscious part of myself wouldn't let me do jumping jacks at the gym. It was weird, I don't normally care much what people think, but I couldn't do it. Maybe if I had a better bra that made me less bouncy, I could've done it, I dunno. I think I'll try warming up at home really well, then going to they gym, which isn't ideal but better than nothing, and maybe once I get in the habit I'll be able to make myself do it at the gym.

And that's an old picture, but it's one of my favourites. He's still just as cute, just bigger now.

Today's workout:

At the gym. It has nothing to do directly with any of my challenge goals, but I realized today that I've never actually written down my workout for people to see, so now I am. I might start logging this regularly on this thread, I dunno. I know that's sort of what a battle log is for, but my brain can't keep track of 2 threads like that, so it's all goin' here.

I do 3 sets of:

Inverted rows (underhand grip) - 10 (I use the bar of a squat machine. I do as many as I can at a 'lower' height, then do the rest at the next peg up)

Bulgarian split squats - 10 each leg

Hollow body hold (for time, I'm up to 35 seconds)

Dips off a bench with my feet on the floor - 10

Jumping step-ups - 20

Plank (for time, I'm up to 45 seconds)

Inverted rows (overhand grip) - 10 (same method as underhand grip)

Box jumps (18.5 inches) - 10

Side plank (for time, I'm up to 40 seconds on the first set, less on the others)

Incline knee pushups - 10

Today felt good for the first time in a while, for some reason my gym days have been super hard in the last few weeks. So yay to that. Tomorrow is a track day, running the beep test again. Which means I have to finally get my arse to the store to get some rope to measure, or an extra long tape measure, whichever is cheaper.

Oh, and the meatloaf I made last night was tasty, but needs some sort of sauce. Then I mixed it with my mashed sweet potato and it was great! I had bad timing today so didn't steam any veggies, but I put a tonne of veggies in the meatloaf, so it didn't feel too bad, and was plenty full all night so no chip temptation.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Judging by that, I am sure that 100 jumping jacks is going to be extremely easy for you :)

Agreed! You'll find youself at the 200 mark and realize "Oh! I'm already done!"

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines