obax - Infiltration: Stage 1, Subsection 1.7(ii)

obax

Judging by that, I am sure that 100 jumping jacks is going to be extremely easy for you :)

Agreed! You'll find youself at the 200 mark and realize "Oh! I'm already done!"

Ha! We'll see. Tomorrow is the day. I was actually feelin' it tonight, but then my brother and sister-in-law dropped by for an impromptu visit, so I visited instead. I might still muster the energy tonight, but it's getting late and my new video game is staring me in the face, asking why I've been so distant lately...

Today's workout:

Ran the beep test, with a properly (I think) measured rope. It's at least less stretchy than the one I had before, and I'm borrowing one of those measuring wheel thingys to measure out the rope to be sure. Either way, I made level 5, which is more or less what I did last time, considering I'm almost certain the old rope was less than 20m long. My legs did me in this time, they were super tired. Not sure if it was insufficient warmup, the strength workout I did yesterday, or both (or neither). I'm going to try to plan my week next week so that I have a rest day before I run the beep test.

Got both arm and leg balance in today. I need to find a more challenging leg balance, I'm just doing the tree pose and get bored holding it after, like, 1.5 minutes. I shall do some research in the near future, or maybe I'll just close my eyes. Or both.

For the arm balance, which is essentially me trying to do the crow pose, I almost convinced myself to try taking both feet of the ground. I did get one foot at a time off, which is progress over last time (and really felt it through my ribs and obliques when I did), but couldn't quite go the whole way, even for a second. I piled a big down duvet in front of me as a crash pad, and that helped a lot with my confidence, even if I don't think it'd really do much if I crashed. Mostly I'm afraid of hurting my neck if I fall on my face, though I'm generally good at falling and don't get hurt when I do, so I don't know if that's a real fear or not. Enh. Maybe I need to overbalance on purpose so I know what it's like to crash. Maybe I need to tell my video game that it's waited this long, it can wait a few more minutes and try it now.... *runs over to yoga mat*

Nope, couldn't do it. I just can't see how I won't land with my head at an odd angle and my neck cursing my name. I'll have to work on it.

No QM, but me and my video game are about to have a good long talk about what we want from this relationship, which counts as fun for me, I don't have (make) much time for games these days and I miss it.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Oh! that picture is super-cute :D

Wait, what is this game you are playing?

Thanks re: the picture. He's my boy, or one of them (there are 2 dogs total, currently taking up more of my bed than I am). And the game I'm playing at the moment is Dishonored. I'm not very far into it, but am enjoying it so far. It's very reminiscent of the Thief series, which is probably my favourite game series ever.

Today's workout:

Not really a workout. Did some hangin' out with the family, tested some sofa beds at Ikea, ate burgers with my siblings (and one sibling-in-law), and then played hockey. We tied, probably should have won, the other team's goalie played a really good game. I felt like I played really well, aggressive without being dangerous, though by the end I was pooched. If only I could get some decent shots on goal...

Also, I did my side quest (to do 100 jumping jacks in one go, and thereby prove or disprove the insanity level of Red1263). Turns out 100 is not nearly as insane as I thought it would be, but it's still a bit crazy. My calves were cursing me by the end, I had to stretch immediately to keep them from really seizing up. I probably could have done a few more than 100 if I'd really wanted, but I did not really want, so I'm happy to call 100 my limit. I won't be doing 100 as a warmup, as per Red, but I can see the benefit of doing fewer than that as a warmup. I will attempt to not be so self-conscious at the gym next time and warm up better than usual (read: warm up at all).

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

...but it's still a bit crazy.

Pfffft. That's Normal people talk! Nice job on the Side-Quest! Glad I can be of inspiration... errr sorta. :P

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Pfffft. That's Normal people talk! Nice job on the Side-Quest! Glad I can be of inspiration... errr sorta. :tongue:

I just had a discussion tonight with my sister about what normal people do in a particular situation, 'cuz I had no idea and needed some help figuring it out.

And thanks! We'll see how my calves feel about the whole situation tomorrow...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Rest day today. Slept in. Did some stretching, especially of my hips, which were very tight today. Neck and shoulder mobility, which actually made the knot in my shoulder worse :numbness:  Listened to a couple of Stephen Fry's Podgrams, specifically the delightful one on language and the angry one on compliance. Gotta listen to the rest some time soon.

No balance practice yet, but I'm going to try standing on one foot as much as possible at work tonight, and will probably do something more formal afterwards. No QM again. This week I've been bad at it, but I've done some other fun things involving video games and family. Haven't decided how that might affect my points, I'll have to see how the rest of the challenge goes. I have a strong suspicion that I'm right about my birthday gift from my sister involving climbing, though whether the climbing part will actually happen during the challenge or not, I dunno.

Meals today have been non-cobbled together, or at least involved food I made for myself, not just random stuff I pulled out of the fridge/bought at work. I'm almost done with my meatloaf, I dunno what my next recipe will be....

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Oh, and also. I wore a shirt today that didn't fit me 1.5 months ago. Just sayin'...   :rolleyes-new:

Congrats!! That must've felt amazing!

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Summing up week 1

Running: 3 workouts done. The beep test score has not improved yet, but I'm not expecting it to do so quickly.

Cooking: I did well. Only one cobbled together meal, and that was on day one after I realized I failed horribly at planning ahead. My major challenge is eating my second meal of the day, if I eat when I'm hungry I should be eating a meal when I'm either getting ready for work or just starting work. I've been doing a good job of snacking on good things instead of grabbing a snack of chips once I get to work, but I'd like to find a way to eat a proper meal. Maybe I just have to try to eat my first meal of the day a bit earlier...

Balancing: I did an ok job on the leg balance. I didn't do it every day, but I did it 5/7 days, which is not bad for week one. Also did ok on the arm balance, 2/3 times, and I progressed from just putting my weight on my hands to actually taking one foot at a time off. I gotta get over my fear of crashing onto my face.

Having Fun/QM: Well, I only did some QM once this week, but I feel like I did a good job of having fun. I had some good hanging out time with siblings and played some video games, which is something I rarely have (make) time for any more. I feel like I'm less stressed and in a better mood, so I did manage to find ways to relax, even if it didn't involve running around on all fours.

Next Week: Gonna try to do my balancing all the time I want to, specifically the arm balancing. I'm not sure how to get over the fear of crashing onto my face, I feel like I could hold the crow pose for a second or two if I could just convince myself it was a good idea. Also going to try to do more QM. I feel like it's good for my shoulders more than anything, and strangely I actually enjoy doing it....

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Congrats!! That must've felt amazing!

Thanks! It did, actually. I bragged about it a bit to coworkers last night. There's a person I work with every Sunday who's doing a clean eating/weight loss thing too, so it's great to be able to talk about that sort of thing with someone on the same journey (though that's not specifically my focus, it's a very nice side effect of the path that I'm on).

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Good stuff you got going!! You're making awesome progressions and I applaud you for taking on side quests. You never know what's gonna happen, and it's all in good fun :) Keep at it, Obax!

BTW, I noticed Bulgarian squats... did they make your booty sore?? Those always make my butt feel like I have 6 other layers of ass!! But I love em :)

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Good stuff you got going!! You're making awesome progressions and I applaud you for taking on side quests. You never know what's gonna happen, and it's all in good fun :) Keep at it, Obax!

BTW, I noticed Bulgarian squats... did they make your booty sore?? Those always make my butt feel like I have 6 other layers of ass!! But I love em :)

Wolf

Thanks!! I can certainly feel the BS squats in my booty, but they don't make it sore, per se. My booty muscles have always been relatively well developed from all the time I spend skating at high speed. I feel them most in my quads and the inner part of my thigh. I'd say it's 50/50 that it's because I'm doing them wrong versus that's the muscles they're actually working.

Also, that's the first time in my entire life that I've referred to my buttocks as my booty. I'm not sure how I feel about this...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Balancing is a great thing to work on!  I'm glad you're identifying where improvement can happen and making goals with each week. Way to go!

Thanks! I'm a-tryin'! This goal setting thing is something I've never been good at, it's a learning process for sure.

Today's workout: Run day today. I decided to try a short, hard run outdoors. Found a route via Map My Run that measures 2.1 km and involves 2 large hills. I figured that if I couldn't keep the pace I wanted, which is what happens at the track, the hills would make up for it, and I would have no choice but to go the whole 2 km, since I'd be far from my house after 1 km (I've been giving up after about 1 km at the track of late).

My legs were super tired, not sure why. Well, that's not true, I'm certain that it has something to do with the fact that I didn't really warm up before I went, which is fine for a slower, longer run, since I'm not pushing it so hard and can kind of warm up as I go. I also had a hard game on Saturday, so maybe I'm not totally recovered from that either. I dunno... That being said, my time was pretty good even with the walking I had to do. Which may have something to do with the rather large downhills that go along with the large uphills, but still I'm taking that as a positive and using it to combat the running frustration that's always lurking in the back of my head. I had to walk the last ~150 m because of icy sidewalks and busy traffic on the road, and didn't include that in my time. Also, I almost ran over a teenager who somehow didn't hear my shouted 'excuse me guys!' *eye roll* That's what I get for running at after school time, I guess... 

I don't know why but I find up- and downhills of running outside physically easier than the flatness of running on the track. I find it easier to moderate my speed too, which is weird to me; at the track it's either fast or slow, no in between, whereas outside it fast or slow or kinda fast or kinda slow, etc., etc. I'll just be happy when the ice goes and I can just always run outside.

Quick stretch before work, more thorough stretch after + balance work. Will try to remember to stand on one foot when I can at work tonight, I totally forgot to do that last night...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

It's probably easier to moderate your speed because you're actually adjusting to an external stimuli. I get the same thing, easier to adjust outside and not on flat surfaces thing.

And for the record too, I always said my buttocks but booty sounds so much cooler xD

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Today for my first meal of the day I made the Epic Breakfast Skillet with small modifications (I added onion in with the sweet potato, and parsley in with the seasoning, and kept the eggs separate). Holy man, it was good! Better than I was expecting, and I was expecting good.

Goin' to the gym in a bit, then working again tonight. Tomorrow is my appointment for figuring out the details of my laser eye surgery, which, as those who followed my last challenge may remember, is a big step towards me being a cop. I really, really hope it's not too crazy expensive... 

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Today's Workout:

At the gym. I did the previously posted workout, except I finally found something of the appropriate height for me to do proper incline pushups, rather than doing knee pushups. It made a huge difference, it was much harder in a good way, and I felt it a lot more in my core. I dunno if it was just that, or if I worked extra hard on all my upper body stuff, but my arms were tired after. Reaching up to the top shelf at work tonight was hard work...

I also noticed some progress on my inverted rows, I was able to do 10 at the lower height during one set, which is a first. I've also noticed I'm making much faster progress on my underhand rows than the over hand ones (which used to be easier), they're much more even. I'm fine with this unevenness, I've decided to focus on working towards a chinup, and the overhand rows are just a bit extra which I cut out if I'm short on time or the smith machine is busy or whatever. It's just my only pulling exercise, so I'm leaving both under- and overhand rows in to try to balance out the 2 push exercises I do. Maybe I don't need to do this, I dunno...

Still no QM this week, though it's only the 2nd day. I'm having a hard time fitting it in on days I work, maybe tomorrow I can get some in, though I'm trying one of my sister's crazy workouts tomorrow night, so we'll see. I've also decided I want to try a hot yoga class, despite the fact that me and heat absolutely do NOT get along. My sister will be a partner in crime for this one, I hope. If she won't, I probably won't go.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Hey hey! That's great to hear! Pretty soon i'll be reading "Pull-ups? Yeah, did about 10 of 'em!" Keep it going, Obax!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Today's Workout:

At the gym. I did the previously posted workout, except I finally found something of the appropriate height for me to do proper incline pushups, rather than doing knee pushups. It made a huge difference, it was much harder in a good way, and I felt it a lot more in my core. I dunno if it was just that, or if I worked extra hard on all my upper body stuff, but my arms were tired after. Reaching up to the top shelf at work tonight was hard work...

Another possibility in the easier pushup family that is almost never mentioned is straddle pushups, which might just be the most effective modification to lead up to full pushups.

Instead of doing them on your knees or with hands elevated to reduce the load, spreading the legs wide reduces the load on the hands a good bit (the wider your legs, the easier it makes the pushup). To progress simply move your legs closer together over time.

It is usually said that incline pushups are better than knee pushups because they feel more like a regular pushup. A straddle pushup feels even more like a regular pushup than an incline pushup.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Thanks Waldo, I'll give that a try. I have a very weak uppper body, so that might even be too much for me on the floor, but I'll see, and it might make my progression go bit faster, or at least feel like it's going faster...

Gonna skip my run today, I'm really not feelin' it and I'm in charge of the afternoon dog walk today. I will, however, be doing an interval workout with my sister at the gym this evening instead. There will likely be stair running involved, so that'll be my cardio for the day. Maybe this will be so horrible that it'll make running seem dreamy in comparison, thereby eliminating the 'I hate running' attitude that I've been battling since last challenge.

Volunteering tomorrow, so I'm gonna have to push myself to get the gym in. I'll definitely go, but might have to cut it a bit short, we'll see how much time/energy I have. 

I had my eye consultation today. I'm a perfect candidate for the laser surgery, which was good to hear, but it's gonna cost me $4100, and that's including the discount they give to people applying to the police. Not counting university, I've never paid that much for anything in all my life. Well, my car, but I didn't pay a heck of a lot more than that for my car either, and it's certainly not worth that much any more... I think my parents can loan me some of that to avoid the crazy interest rates they charge, hopefully I can scrounge up enough to pay it all at once and not have to pay any interest at all.

Man. I better get a job as a cop after this. I'll be right angry if I pay that much to fix my eyes and don't end up as a cop. Consider it even more motivation to train hard and blow away the competition during the test. Consider it also a bunch more pressure to succeed at my goal. *sigh* Pros and cons to everything...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Didn't love the interval training, but only because we did it at the gym, so the 'sprints' were done on a treadmill, or in my case, a spin bike. Not at all a fan of either. I think if we could've done it at the track or something and I could have actually sprinted, it would've been better.

My sister and friend who are doing an interval training program by a particular trainer are going to see that trainer once per week, and I think I'm going to go with them a few times. This person claims to be a Master of the Beep Test, as well as confident she can help me with the wall jumping. I don't think I can afford to go see her long term, but she seems to do a pay-as-you-go kind of thing, and I can see the benefit of getting some professional advice, so I'll give it a go.

Did some QM, but only a bit, my arms are pretty tired after yesterday, and my legs are pretty tired after today. I'm pretty limited to doing it only on the floor, I think it'd be fun to try a bit of cat balance on a bar (with ample padding underneath). Did a bit of arm balance too, got my toes off the floor for an instant. I'm not sure I have my hands placed quite right, but I'm workin' on it. 

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

*takes the recipe at the top of the page and puts it in her pocket for future use*  

Good luck with the eye thing. That stuff is stupidly expensive.

It's a good one, and I was nice and full all day, without being over full. And thanks, I think the surgery itself will be fine, it's the money I'm worried about. If I can gather the funds I'm going to try to book it for the first week of May. 

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Well, even if you don't get a job as a cop, having 2 working eyes seems like a good thing to walk away with.

and as for the Price, I can only respond with "HACHI MACHI!!"

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Well, even if you don't get a job as a cop, having 2 working eyes seems like a good thing to walk away with.

and as for the Price, I can only respond with "HACHI MACHI!!"

My eyes aren't that bad in the first place, I can function without glasses if I need to, so my eyes mostly work. Not needing glasses is appealing, but not $4100 appealing...

What is hachi machi? Google, for once, didn't especially illuminate me...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines