obax - Infiltration: Stage 1, Subsection 1.7(ii)

obax

$4100??? I paid a grand less for my PRK with a discount too. That seems like a really high number. Also, I got a loan with 0% interest for 18 months so I didn't really have to sweat the cost. I'm still a little nervous about Lasik? I'm positive a friend of mine used to fight in the ring and everything and had to stop after getting Lasik because it can dislodge which is something I know PRK doesn't do.

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Well, it's $3400 for the actual surgery, and the rest is fees they pay to my eye doctor for pre- and post-op care, for a full year after the surgery. The place I'm going to is the company who pioneered and developed the technology that's in wide use today, and the actual surgeon actually literally wrote the book on the current procedures. I could find it cheaper at another place, but the technology they use is 6 or 7 years old and not as precise (which comes from both my eye doctor, who's a family friend and used to coach me as a kid, so I trust what he says, and they guy at the laser place, who point blank said he doesn't get paid by the patient and "ultimately didn't care if I went to the other place or not" (that's an actual quote)).

I asked the guy about the difference between PRK and Lasik with respect to the stability, and he said he's only ever heard of 3 cases in, like, 20 years where the flap came undone, and that was with the really old procedure where they used a physical blade to make the flap rather than a laser, which is what they use now, and were also complete flukes that wouldn't happen to regular people every day. He used himself as an example, that he face planted while water skiing at high speed, and felt like his eyes had exploded out the back of his head, and had no trouble with the flaps coming undone. In short, I'm confident with the advice I'm getting and the people I'm getting it from. I really do appreciate your concern, though, I would have never known to ask the questions I did if you hadn't told me about all that stuff, so thanks! I would've been much less informed and much less confident without knowing all that stuff ahead of time.

I also think there's probably a difference between Canadian and American prices, everything is always more expensive in Canada... And really, when dealing with people shining lasers into my eyes, I'd rather go with the people who make me feel confident rather than the people who are cheapest. I'm just glad my parents are willing to help me out a bit, even if they can't give me the whole amount of the difference, the more I can pay at the outset, the less I have to finance in the future.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Oh, are you in Canada? I never knew. Did I?

If the rest are fees, does that mean that there can be staggered payments? That might make it easier.

BTW, I had that Breakfast recipe thing this morning. Amazing.

Level 17 Half Kender Assassin
XP 1700

Yeah don't skimp out on eye surgery lol. Totally understood. Glad to be of help, kind of wish I had known that about Lasik going in because my turn around time would've been much faster lol. Good luck with it and I'm glad you're going to such an amazing place!

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Oh, are you in Canada? I never knew. Did I?

If the rest are fees, does that mean that there can be staggered payments? That might make it easier.

BTW, I had that Breakfast recipe thing this morning. Amazing.

I dunno if you knew, but I am indeed located in the Great White North. I can do financing, with a crazy interest rate, and pay monthly, but if I borrow from my parents, I'll pay much less interest because it'd be from their line of credit, so I'd just pay that interest (or none at all if they offer that to me, but that's up to them). And I'm glad you enjoyed that recipe. Not originally mine, but I'm an unashamed stealer, and that was definitely something worth stealing.

Yeah don't skimp out on eye surgery lol. Totally understood. Glad to be of help, kind of wish I had known that about Lasik going in because my turn around time would've been much faster lol. Good luck with it and I'm glad you're going to such an amazing place!

I'm just glad that I happen to have such a great eye doctor, who I know I can trust (no to mention everyone here supporting and advising me). It's making this process, which is kinda scary if I think about it too much, much easier. I hate going into things like this with doubts in the back of my head, especially when I know there's no way to sooth those doubts. So far my doubts have been kept to a minimum, though, so I've actually been getting sleep at night, which is nice :)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

"Hachi Machi" is an expression of shock. 

But still, not relying on glasses will help out in the long run.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

"Hachi Machi" is an expression of shock. 

But still, not relying on glasses will help out in the long run.

True dat. When the zombie apocalypse comes, I don't want to have to be scrounging around for my peepers with one hand and my shotgun with the other. Shotguns require two hands to operate safely.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Today's workout:

I volunteered all day, which has historically led to an unscheduled rest day. I did not, in fact, make it to they gym, I was so hungry during my 3 hour drive home, and my back and knees so cramped from being in the car, I just went home and had dinner. BUT I did workout a bit in my basement. There were pros and cons (mostly cons).

Pros:
1. My own music (yes, I could use an iPod at the gym, but I never remember to charge it)
2. I warmed up! I did 30 jumping jacks with no embarrassment, as well as 50 body-weight squats (I wouldn't normally do that many as a warmup but it was to see what my actual max was for the OPPP)
3. It's really super cute when you do a bird dog and your actual bird dog stands beside you and points at his ball. Note: this is also a con, it's not easy to maintain balance or form when laughing that hard.

Cons:
1. Nothing to really do rows off of. I gave it a go on the handle thingys of my mom's treadmill, but it was too low and couldn't do them properly. I did feel it in my biceps though, so it wasn't a total waste (I need an adjustable pull-up bar, if such a thing exists. And permission to hang it...)
2. It's really super hard to hold a side plank (or any plank, really) when your dog is licking the back of your knee
3. It makes you feel like a terrible human being when you tell your dog to stop licking the back of your knee and go lie on the couch, and when he does he continues to watch you work out with an expression full of sadness and hurt
4. Nothing to do jumping step-ups or box jumps on. The stairway would probably lead to a bonked head and/or mother annoyance
5. It's really super hard to do single leg hip thrusts when your dog is licking your face from his place on the couch. Note: this is also a pro, as I quite enjoy cosmic justice of this sort

The things I skipped due to lack of equipment I replaced with things from the mini-challenge. Bird dogs and fire hydrants were surprisingly hard. Single leg hip thrusts were not, which makes me think I was doing them wrong. Maybe I'll feel it more tomorrow, we'll have to see.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Ha! I love the mental image of you doing bird dogs with your dog! Single leg hip thrusts are deceptive, in my experience, because I hardly felt them when doing them, and yet was definitely sore this morning. I think putting your feet higher makes them harder, too - shoulders on the couch and feet on the coffee table is tougher than shoulders on the couch and feet on the floor. Nice workout!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Ha! I love the mental image of you doing bird dogs with your dog! Single leg hip thrusts are deceptive, in my experience, because I hardly felt them when doing them, and yet was definitely sore this morning. I think putting your feet higher makes them harder, too - shoulders on the couch and feet on the coffee table is tougher than shoulders on the couch and feet on the floor. Nice workout!

Heh, he did the full on point too, with nose out and front leg up and tail out straight. He does it all the time, but that was perfect timing.

I'll give that hip thrust variation a try. I'm definitely not store this morning in either my rear or hamstrings. I have a hard time believing I'm ready for a harder variation the first time I try them, so it's still possible I'm doing them wrong, but at the gym I can watch in the mirror and figure it out.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Today's workout:

Did the beep test. Increased by 1/2 level, from 5 to 5.5. That means I'm 1 level away from the police requirement, though I'd like to consistently be able to beat the police requirement to leave room for nerves etc. on the actual test day. I'm feeling like 6.5 might be achievable by the end of 6 weeks, but I'm leaving my challenge goal as-is in case of injury or in case today was a fluke.

I wore my Nike Frees today instead of my regular running shoes. I planned to do this, but was originally going to go to the track. Then I had to work unexpectedly today and so didn't make it to the track. I ran it instead on the asphalt part of a school yard. It didn't occur to me until I was set up and ready to go that, since I was running on cement, I might've wanted to wear my regular running shoes, but by that time I wasn't going home again, so I did it anyway. We'll have to see tomorrow how my various aches and pains feel about this decision...

Tomorrow is hockey. Part of me wants to win 'cuz I like to win, part of me wants to lose so we're less likely to go to the finals and I can have my laser surgery a couple of weeks earlier...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Heh, he did the full on point too, with nose out and front leg up and tail out straight. He does it all the time, but that was perfect timing.

This is sort of embarrassing, but I've never put together that "bird dog" was a reference to dogs that point at grounded birds.  I've always wondered why bird dogs are called bird dogs as they are neither birdlike nor doglike.  And the world makes a little more sense now... ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

This is sort of embarrassing, but I've never put together that "bird dog" was a reference to dogs that point at grounded birds.  I've always wondered why bird dogs are called bird dogs as they are neither birdlike nor doglike.  And the world makes a little more sense now... ;)

Well, I'm glad to have illuminated this for you. To be honest, I'm not sure I would've figured it out either if I wasn't already familiar with both the term 'bird dog' as being a dog who retrieves birds (which both of mine are), and the 'point' position, which both my dogs do it with some frequency (not often at actual birds, we don't actually hunt with them).

I've always found it quite amusing that 'bird dog' is an exercise in which you imitate a pointer, since I imitate my dogs all the time for my own amusement. I find it hard to do a bird dog (or a fire hydrant, for that matter) with a straight face for that reason.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Hockey was a tie. It was a good game, we came from behind to tie it up, and almost won. The team all played really well. I did not. I mostly couldn't get my head in the game and spent much of the 2nd half wishing it was over. 

Dunno what my plan for tomorrow is, I can't decide if I want to work out or make it my rest day. I'm going away next week for a few days, so my usual workout routine will be disrupted somewhat. I'm going to do what I can (I should still be able to run, I think) and might join my sister in a video or two instead of my usual strength stuff. I can do the pushing exercises and core stuff, but not the pulling or jumping. There will likely be some snowshoeing and/or slogging in the future, so that's something, and also counts as fun!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Today turned into a rest day. I was actually lying in bed considering my options for today, and thinking I could squeeze something in before work, and then I got up and realized the time had changed, giving me somewhat less time than I thought I had. So I decided to watch The 5th Element on tv instead. After the movie I might go do some mini-challenge stuff in the basement and some QM.

Tomorrow will be a poor diet day, but I don't care. Actually, it probably won't be too bad except there will be cake, and I will eat it. It will, after all, be my cake.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Is the cake for your bday or something?

Hope your get away is fun. I went snowshoeing for the first time a few weeks ago. It was really fun and hard-I had DOMS for three days afterwards

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Yay, cake! And sometimes you just need a rest day - particularly when the evil clock gnomes steal an hour. Anyway, enjoy your cake tomorrow!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Is the cake for your bday or something?

Hope your get away is fun. I went snowshoeing for the first time a few weeks ago. It was really fun and hard-I had DOMS for three days afterwards

Yep, it's my b-day. Hurry-up Chocolate Cake is tradition, and also a very tasty cake, and so I shall eat it. I'm hoping there's still snow left to snowshoe in, and that we remember to take the snowshoes with us. I've done it before and love it, I just don't know any winter-loving people to go with me...

Also, I did a few single-leg hip thrusts for the mini challenge. It's definitely harder with my feet up on something, I could feel it this time in my hamstrings. No soreness yet, but I only did a few, so I'm not expecting much, if any, soreness tomorrow. I think I'd like to add them into my strength workout, but I hesitate to add another exercise, it already takes a kind of long time... Maybe I could replace something, I dunno... I'll have to think about it.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Having Chocolate cake as a tradition I would FIGHT to uphold!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

HA! My suspicions were right! My mom and dad got me a gift card that would pay for me and my sister to have a Learn to Climb lesson, which also comes with a month membership to the climbing gym and rentals for that time. As far as I understand it, it's unlimited use and rentals for that month.

I LOVED it. We got a 2 hour lesson on how to belay and properly tie the knots, and the guy gave some good tips on how to move when you're on the wall, most of which I wasn't strong enough to do properly (yet). I wanted to keep going after the lesson was up, but my grip was completely worn out, I literally could not do any more. I had to sign my membership card after, and could barely hold the pen well enough to do it. I can't wait to go back and play around more on the bouldering wall.

My sister did not love it, she's pretty afraid of heights, but said she'd be willing to come with me a few times to belay for me, otherwise I have to use the bouldering walls or hope that someone is there who can/will belay for me. Which is fine by me, the bouldering walls were fun too. I almost made it to the top on one of the easier routes (problems?), I could get my hands on the last hand hold before the top but just couldn't make it to the top without feeling like I would fall. Maybe next time.

They also have a sort of training gym area where they have some rings, a bar and a thing with all the various types of holds you would find on the walls that you can do chin-ups off of, with a block attached to the wall below to allow for assisted chin-ups, as well as a few other things that I don't think I would be strong enough to use yet. I get to use that as part of the membership too, which I think will be good for my goal of being able to do a chin-up one day.

All in all, it was a pretty awesome day, but my arms are right tired. I'm gonna be feeling it tomorrow, I'm glad the mini-challenge doesn't involve any weight-bearing on my arms... My wrists are also starting to feel kinda sore, next time I go I'll have to make sure to warm them up better, and do lots of mobility stuff between now and then.

The next 3 days I'm going away to my cottage, which is without internet or cell signal. My plan is to run 5km each day, as long as the road isn't too icy, and do hollow holds and superman holds for the mini-challenge, as well as anything else I feel like doing, and get back to my regular strength stuff when I'm home again. And do more climbing!! I just have to work up the nerve to go on my own, but during the day on a weekday it might not be too crowded. I definitely will go, once I've gone a couple of times on my own and stop being scared of it being new, I should be able to get my money's worth out of my month membership.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines