obax - Infiltration: Stage 1, Subsection 1.7(ii)

obax

Having Chocolate cake as a tradition I would FIGHT to uphold!

Me too, especially Hurry-Up Chocolate Cake. It's from a cookbook that's mostly old Mennonite recipes, and it contains absolutely nothing healthy. I usually request butter icing on top. And I have to say, holy crap it was good!!!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Cool gift idea. Sounds like you had a good and tiring b-day. Have a great time while your away

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Glad the birthday was awesome - and the climbing gym gift is such a great idea! So glad you enjoyed it, and that you get a month to really get into it, too! Have fun at the cottage.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

That sounds like SO MUCH FUN!! So glad you got such a great present AND you know that one day you'll be able to do all the things you want to! So excited to hear your progress there!

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Dude, unlimited uses!? That's Awesome! Such abusive powers are not to be trusted in my hands :P

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Dude, unlimited uses!? That's Awesome! Such abusive powers are not to be trusted in my hands :tongue:

Ha, unlimited for a month, I'm gonna try my damnedest to make them regret that :D After that I'll have to assess my meager finances and see if I can make it more permanent.

Three Day Cottage Update:

The running at the cottage did not happen due mainly to inclement weather and the fact that I don't have the proper gear to run in said weather. Today was the best day, but the wind was COLD and my lack of appropriate outer coverings kept me in my many thermal layers.

I did, however, do whatever strength stuff I could one day, and went for an hour long hike through knee deep snow (sans snowshoes) with the dog another day, and ran around like an idiot in a field (again with the dog, he's my excuse for insane behaviour more often than he should be) today. So I wasn't entirely without exercise of some sort. I also did some holds for the mini challenge, and my abs are actually a bit sore today so I guess I did a good job of that...

Tomorrow will likely be a non-day, workout-wise, my sister booked a spa day for us and it's going to take considerable longer than I thought it would (I've never been to a spa before)... I'm going to try to get a run in before, but considering my usual wake-up time and morning routine, that's not likely to happen. This applies quite nicely to my 'have fun' goal, though, so it's not a total loss. Or something. The food goal was good too, I made myself some tasty things involving bacon and sweet potato, as well as a huge stir-fry for everyone, and successfully resisted the bread. I did eat cake (the rest of the birthday cake) and pie (to celebrate Pi Day), but I'm ok with that. 

I'm going to try to run the beep test this week on Saturday (Friday has been my usual day) but that could be limited by how busy the track is and/or the weather (if it's nice I'll do it at the school, otherwise I'll have to hope I can do it at the track). They do have a balcony thingy at the track that should be long enough to do the run, if they'll let me do it up there.

I want to go climbing again ASAP (despite the fact that my arms are STILL sore after doing it on Monday), which likely will be Saturday. I'm a tad concerned about how busy it'll be there on a weekend, it's still new enough that I'll be a bit self-conscious about being there by myself not knowing what I'm doing. I'm going to have to summon up some courage. I'm excited to be able to go during weekdays though, it'll be less busy (I hope). I'm considering replacing some strength workouts for the rest of the month with climbing, depending on how my first full week of doing it on my own goes, I want to use my membership to the fullest before it runs out. What I really need to do it find a way to change my morning routine so that I get my ass in gear at a reasonable hour so I can fit in all the stuff I want to do, rather than sit around killing time and drinking coffee. This has historically been a near-impossible task, maybe I'll make that a goal in the next challenge...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

When you finished your run, was there steam coming out of your body like your power level was rising  :mad-new: ?

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

When you finished your run, was there steam coming out of your body like your power level was rising  :mad-new: ?

There was no run, when I said many thermal layers, I meant my snow pants and 4 layers of shit/jackets and ski gloves and toque and snow boots, ie. not running gear. However, I have had that phenomenon happen when playing shinny outside (and inside a couple of times too), and I did feel a bit like Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z....

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Ran the beep test today. Reached level 5. I blame this partly on the fact that that was the only real running I did all week (this was a bad week) and partly on the fact that the wind was effing cold, and being cold (specifically having cold hands, for some reason) saps me of willpower.

That said, I think my main problem with this test right now is willpower. I have yet to fail the test according to the rules, I've always just stopped. Today I didn't quite make the line on the beep, I was only off by 1/2 second or less, and could've turned around and pushed it to get back on track (you have to miss the line twice in a row to fail to meet the particular level). Actually, I technically made the warning line (18 m line) and was just off on the pivot line (20 m line), so I technically didn't fail to meet anything. But when I heard the beep before my foot hit the ground, I just stopped. It wasn't even a conscious decision, it just happened. I'm a bit disappointed in myself, but as I said to my sister the other day, I've never done anything until I fell down (ie. to complete failure). I don't really know how to combat this. Hopefully next week I'll be able to do this indoors (or the weather will be much less crappy) so I won't have cold as an excuse.

I'm on my way to go climbing now, I'm gonna have to try to undisappoint myself on the way or I'll give it a half-assed effort and then be disappointed at that too. Maybe some water and food in my belly will help, I definitely get cranky when my stomach gets empty...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Climbing was good, food in my belly was the right choice. I was there for maybe 3/4-1 hour. The little gym area had what looked like a lesson on rappelling going on, so I didn't get specific practice at pull-ups. But I feel like climbing is kind of just a series of assisted pull-ups anyway, so that's ok. It was really busy, and I almost chickened out, but then I did the 20 seconds of berserker mode (or whatever Steve called it) and went back in and went for it. I'm glad I did, though now I have a nice little blister on my ring finger... But I solved my first problem (is that the right way to say it?)! I got all the way to the top on one of the routes, after watching some fearless 8 year olds do it repeatedly before me. I got to play around a bit with some holds that we're at weird angles too and did better than I thought I would, so all in all a good day!!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Nothing like watching a fearless little kid to motivate you.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Just like a slice of Humble Pie to get the gears into perspective.

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Hey Obax, sorry I haven't been tracking your challenge until now, my head's been out there doing it's own thing on me.  Just read up on what you've been doing, congrats on joining the Rebel Climbing Junkie Club:)  I used to go to a gym like that in Tempe and after awhile it takes the 12 step process to leave...

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

No worries, man, everyone's got their thing going on. I can't usually keep track of more than a couple of threads myself...

I'm a little afraid of the withdrawal symptoms when my month membership runs out and I can't afford to keep it up, especially because hockey will be done by then too (my other passion). We'll have to see, it'd be worth rearranging my finances for...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I invested in climbing shoes, a cheap harness, and a chalk bag.  After that, it was just the access fee for the day, so I could go as I could afford it without the membership fee or the equipment rental fees.  The shoes were expensive though.  If I were doing it now I would probably try my FiveFingers to see if I could make it work.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Belated Week 2 Sum-Up:

'Twas a long time ago, but I recall it being ok. I made level 5.5 on the beep test, did all my workouts, and some balance practice, and ate mostly pre-planned meals (the one exception was when I had to work unexpectedly and had to throw some food in a bag quickly on my way out the door). Most importantly, the cobbled-together meal did not lead to chips. I don't remember specifically fun things that I did, but I think I did some QM once or twice.

Week 3 Sum-Up:

Not so good on the exercise front. I didn't do any balance practice, I ran once (got a level 5 on the beep test, boo) and never went to the gym. Part of that was going to the cottage for 3 days, where the weather limited my ability to run, and lack of space limited everything else (not to mention my sister's blueblanket, which leads to naps and nothing else).

Pretty good on the food front. No chips. All meals were pre-planned and/or cooked by me. Mostly paleoish except for yesterday (not counting birthday cake). Also good on the fun front. No QM was done, but I went climbing! Twice! Once by myself! Also, my sister has a newfound passion for geocaching, and we did a bunch of that in the last week too. Also had some good times with friends and family. So it was a good week, but not and overly productive one. I'm ok with this for the most part, but will have to make a point of getting back on track next week.

What I Need to Do Next Week:

Holy crap, run!! I mean it! And balance stuff! It's really not that time consuming!!

I'll also probably skip the gym once or twice in favour of climbing, but this is cool with me. I'll just have to make sure I do some push exercises at home, and maybe some squats and/or core stuff. But that's all stuff I can do at home, so that's fine.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I invested in climbing shoes, a cheap harness, and a chalk bag.  After that, it was just the access fee for the day, so I could go as I could afford it without the membership fee or the equipment rental fees.  The shoes were expensive though.  If I were doing it now I would probably try my FiveFingers to see if I could make it work.

That's sort of my plan, assuming I stick with it for the whole month. I have a habit of picking up a new hobby, going at it like crazy for a bit, then never doing it again, so I don't want to invest in equipment just yet. So far I'm really loving the climbing, though, so I'm feeling like this this could be a new thing for me. The only thing that might dampen my enthusiasm is the lack of person to do it with, which means I'm limited to the boulder wall. Which is fine, but might get repetitive after a while, and I have a ridiculously short attention span (honestly, I'm like a bird surrounded by shiny things, it's a bit troubling at times). I think I can keep myself interested by working up to more difficult routes on the bouldering walls, I'm just concerned the progress might be too slow to really justify a membership, but without the membership it'll be no progress. Though I'm fine with the idea of pay as you go for a while until I'm strong enough to tackle more serious routes. I'll have to work out the cost and how many times I'm likely to go in a month etc., etc., and figure out what's cheaper.

And that right there is a perfect example of me over-thinking things, as I tend to do. It's how my brain works. I'm getting better at setting it aside and just going for it and seeing what happens. Which is what I shall do with this. The big hurdle (ie. being afraid of new things/places) has been conquered, at least. The rest is just details.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Rock gyms are like other gyms, other people are pretty approachable.  Try going at different times on different days to see if there are any other loners.  They might be up for swapping out on belay.  Regulars almost never have trouble getting climbs in.  I never was into the bouldering wall.  Horizontal just isn't as sexy as vertical, but it will work when you don't have options.  Check out the notice board to see if there's any gear going cheap.  In a pinch you can use a 5 ft. piece of 1/2 inch rope to rig a Swiss seat.  It's as secure as a regular harness but not as comfortable or coolio looking.  It's what we used in Air Assault School.  For instructions go to http://home.arcor.de/varn/rappel/swiss_seat.htm.  Try using you month as much as possible.  Be that person that everyone recognizes when you walk in, and who they ask about if you haven't been in for a few days.  I think the "community" will be what makes it a long term hobby.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Rock gyms are like other gyms, other people are pretty approachable.  Try going at different times on different days to see if there are any other loners.  They might be up for swapping out on belay.  Regulars almost never have trouble getting climbs in.  I never was into the bouldering wall.  Horizontal just isn't as sexy as vertical, but it will work when you don't have options.  Check out the notice board to see if there's any gear going cheap.  In a pinch you can use a 5 ft. piece of 1/2 inch rope to rig a Swiss seat.  It's as secure as a regular harness but not as comfortable or coolio looking.  It's what we used in Air Assault School.  For instructions go to http://home.arcor.de/varn/rappel/swiss_seat.htm.  Try using you month as much as possible.  Be that person that everyone recognizes when you walk in, and who they ask about if you haven't been in for a few days.  I think the "community" will be what makes it a long term hobby.

That doesn't come naturally to me, and is way out of my comfort zone, but that's part of the reason I'm so willing to skip some gym days for the rest of the month in favour of climbing. The fact that I'm willing to at least try to make friends with the locals, as it were, is an indication to me that I might be serious about this thing; most of the time I barely smile or nod at people I don't know.

The bouldering walls at my gym are mostly vertical, or just slightly angled. The paths that they have marked go more or less up and down too, at least on the beginner routes, I just wish there were more than 3 beginner routes. There's really only one where you're hanging upside down, and I actually had fun playing around on it, even if I wasn't strong enough to go anywhere.

I've used a Swiss seat before (so something similar), when I was a kid at camp, though I didn't know what it was called at the time. They used nylon strapping rather than rope, but I remember it being more than a little uncomfortable and not at all fashionable. 

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Yeah, when I first started going to the gym in college I didn't mix either.  I'd go during the low peak hours to avoid the crowd, and of course that's when the Hulk and Conan were training.  But eventually the regulars began to think of me as a regular and would ask for a spot or say "hey".  After awhile it was me doing that to the newbies and that carried over to other gyms in other towns.  An easy, low risk way to start at a rock gym is to discuss technical points about the various routes with the staff.  Ask them why this route is rated higher than this other one, or how best to tackle that problem midway up this route?  And then just make a point of saying "hi" or "bye" whenever you see them.  

I always peeled off spectacularly from the upside down routes:)

Have you legs started doing the sewing machine quiver yet?

Cro Magnon Assassin

Sewing machine quiver? Was ist das? (There, now you've got your German practice in too!)

I actually impressed at myself that I was able to get my legs up easily and hang upside down, I figured I wouldn't even get my legs up successfully. I guess all my core work is good for something after all.

I'm going back again tomorrow, I hope, I think this might actually be good motivation for me to run, since I'm usually pretty good at telling myself 'run first, then ______' where the blank is something fun, and then sticking to that.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Holy wind today, Batman! Which meant no running. I could've gone to the track, I suppose, but now that the weather is getting more or less nicer (today's garbage bin rodeo notwithstanding) it's harder and harder for me to make myself run inside. I WILL go tomorrow though. Promise.

I did go climbing again, though. There weren't many people there, which was nice, I was a little less self-conscious about my lack of skill, and the little gym area was free for me to do some assisted pull-ups (3 sets: 6, 7, 6). I think I did a good job of not assisting too much, as my arms were right tired after each set. I solved another problem, which makes 2 of the 3 easy ones, and messed around some more on the angled ones. My arms were still pretty shot from Saturday, so the angled ones were hard. Also, I used chalk for the first time, and what a difference it made! It even made my blister feel nice, until I ripped it, but then some tape fixed that right up. I'm beginning to feel like a real climber! Almost...

I've officially broken the ice with a local too! Granted, he initiated the conversation, but I made nice. He offered to belay for me (is 'belay' even a verb?), and I would've taken him up on it except I had to go to work. But we agreed that if we saw one another at the gym again, we'd be climbing partners for a bit. So yay!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines