LeadChipmunk Chapter 2: Specialization is for Insects

leadchipmunk

Last Chapter: WoodWoes

At the end of the last chapter, the Elder gave me a scroll with the instructions to not open it for 2 weeks. But I am severely impatient and want to continue my training. I break the seal and start unrolling it...

.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------. /  .-.  You are now to start learning the skills of the other trades in these Woods.  .-.  \|  /   \ The first of these trades is the Ranger. They are a jack-of-all-trades and   /   \  || |\_.  |are capable of doing anything that needs done. For your next challenge, you |    /| ||\|  | /|work hand in hand with them, improving all facets of your life to better    |\  | |/|| `---' |tackle anything life can throw at you. They achieve this many ways, but you | `---' ||       |----------------------------------------------------------------------------|       |\       |                                                                            |       / \     /                                                                              \     /  `---'                                                                                `---'

It kept continuing for much longer, but the basic gist of it is that these Rangers do not know what is going to come after them at any given time, whether it be a wall to be scaled, many miles to run, a fallen tree to be moved or even reanimated undead skulls to be crushed. So they have decided to be ready for all possibilities by constantly changing up their workouts. As such, I too must train as they do, while still improving upon some set goals.

The Rangers do CrossFit, so I have designed a game I must do with it to accomplish my goals.

The 3 fitness related goals that I have are:

1. Overhead Press 1/2 my bodyweight (100 pounds) a full 5x5 - I'm going to use the SL 5x5 progression where each time I do the workout I increase it by 5 pounds, and I'm currently at 70 pounds. So I must increase it by 5 pounds a week.
  2. Move a total of 10 kilometers a week - Movement is any of walking, running, exercise biking or rowing. I do not have access to a real bike and I can't swim (maybe a summer goal could be to learn how?), so I cannot use those as actual movement. I am also not going to count non-workout focused movement except for work. At work, during night shift, my usual patrols consist of multiple miles of walking, so I'm taking those at half value.
  3. Handstand! - This was a goal last challenge, but I did not have the balance. All I want is a 15 second handstand and I will be happy. I have the strength to go up, I just cannot leave the wall without falling.

The game

Roll a d6 and each side designates a workout category for the day. I must roll it every day that I am able to make it to the gym (I usually head out of town 1 or 2 days directly after work and am not home until the next day).

The sides are:

1. Endurance
  2. Random WOD
  3. Bodyweight
  4. Handstand
  5. Lift
  6. Rest

Endurance, WOD, and Bodyweight are going to be random WODs chosen from The WOD Shop's respective categories. WOD is "The Hopper" category.

Handstand is just that. Work on doing a handstand, nothing more (unless I have energy and want to roll another exercise).

Lift will be the 5 lifts from Strong Lifts (Squat, Bench, OHP, Row and Deadlift), but all done on a single day.

I am allowing myself a single re-roll of either the die or the WOD Shop every day (for use when I lift and end up with lifting the next day), BUT I cannot accept a rest on a reroll. I also cannot have 2 rests in a row, and no more than 3 rests in a week to ensure completion of goal 1.

Finally, if I get 4 days without lifting or handstand in a row, I will have to do that the next day to aid completion of goal 2 and 3.

Finally for my Life Goal I need to increase my consistency and willpower. This will be done in multiple ways.

• Stay mostly paleo and completely gluten free. I did most of a Whole30 last challenge (as planned), but I immediately fell off the wagon again. This time I am going to do allow some cheats (very rarely white and dark chocolate, rice, juice, almond milk, cheese, etc.), basically stuff that doesn't effect me very much. I also have some teas that have minor amounts of sugar in them, and those are fine too. But gluten messes my stomach up nearly instantly, so that is going away completely.
  • Complete the online Intro to Mathematical Thinking course I signed up for.
  • Start and actively work on MIT OCW's Designing Your Life course.
  • Every eligible day, roll the die. On any day that I try to talk myself out of it, I must roll and cannot accept a rest day AND I must add 20 burpees to the workout.
  • Clean my room and keep it clean! I've been wanting to do this for a long time and it just keeps getting worse and worse.
  • Finish anything I say I will do to the best of my ability.
  • More possibly to come if I think of anything.

Failure to do any of the above will result in 10% taken off of my grade.

I will edit this later with reward points and possibly more information. I just wanted to type it all up before I forgot anything.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

2/25:

Rolled a 2, which meant random WOD. My friend joined me today and suggested a WOD he did 2 weeks ago. It was 5 rounds of:

250m row

15 DB snatch at 25lb, one arm

200 meter run

15 DB snatch at 25lb, other arm

I did this and felt like I was dead.

Also, warmup of 1 mile and cooldown of 1/4 mile. So a total travel distance of 4.25 km for the week.

Level 1 Woodwose

2/26:

Rolled a 6, rerolled and got a 6, really didn't want a rest day so I rolled again and got a 2. Random WOD it was again.

Today's workout was:

Complete as many reps as possible in 7 minutes following the rep scheme below:
-Dumbbell thrusters, 15# per arm, 3 reps
-3 Inverted pullups
-Dumbbell thrusters, 15# per arm, 6 reps
-6 Inverted pullups
-Dumbbell thrusters, 15# per arm, 9 reps
-9 Inverted pullups
-Dumbbell thrusters, 15# per arm, 12 reps
-12 Inverted pullups
-Dumbbell thrusters, 15# per arm, 15 reps
-15 Inverted pullups
etc.

I only made it that far, plus 3 thrusters

Warmup/cooldown was 2.25km of running and walking. Total distance of 6.5 km for the week.

Level 1 Woodwose

2/27:

I had to do a handstand day, so I decided to incorporate yoga afterwards.

I did about a minute of wall handstand and tried to do a handstand pushup afterwards, but mostly failed. Then I did a 15 second L-stand. After that, people started coming into the room for a spinning class, so I had to leave. I had nowhere else to do my yoga workout, so I decided I'd do it when I got home. Once I got home, I ate dinner and fell asleep on the couch.

So today (the 28th), I am doing a lifting workout, followed by my planned yoga.

No added distance for the day.

Life goal:

Diet is going good.

Math Think course doesn't start until March 4th.

Designing Your Life will start before the end of the weekend.

Room will be cleaned in the above time frame

Still rolling for workout.

Level 1 Woodwose

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines