lexphoenix, Belle of the Ball - revised

lyranedara

Thanks for your insights! I've decided I'm definitely not doing a half marathon. It's really not something I can ever imagine myself wanting to do, so I'd rather keep my workouts fun. :) I may do the 10K, though he said he's definitely doing the half. I don't think it would interrupt my master plans too much.

I'm terrible at keeping this log up to date. I track everything in a physical journal. I draw a calendar in it so that I can keep track of my workout schedule and make any pertinent notes for the week. I'll have to go back through it to tally up all my goals for the challenge.

INTU-Flow

Cricket Flow x 6

I actually held one-legged crow for the first time today! I was able to do it in every rep of the flow. I guess GTG is paying off. :) I was dripping sweat by the end, but it felt awesome.

INTU-Flow

8R 10s rest/20s work. 1 min rest between exercises. Target RPE 6-7

Reverse lunge 6, 7x5 ES

Plank push knee 6, 6, 6, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6

Sit through knee 8x6 ES

Push up 4x6, 2x5, 2x4

Spinal rock 7, 8, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

Tripod Overhead 8x3 ES

Vinyasa cooldown

Soreness was gone. :)

Target RPE: 6-7. 20 sec per exercise. 1 min rest between rounds.

Reverse lunge 6x5 ES (Strong, steady)

Plank push knee 5x6 (Much better, smoother form)
Sit through knee  6, 8, 8, 7, 9, 8 ES (Much more natural flow)

Push up 4, 5x 3 (Really wasn't feeling these today. Took them very slow. Strict.)
Spinal rock 5x6 (Softer rolls)

Tripod Overhead 3.5, 4, 4, 3, 4, 4 ES (Better hip extension)

Vinyasa cooldown/Meditation

Nothing sore. Felt great during warm up. Ready for high intensity day! Goal RPE 8-10. Tabata for each exercise. 1 min rest between exercises.

Reverse lunge 9, 8, 6x7 ES (Knees were getting tired in later rounds.)

Plank push knee 5x9, 3x8 (Great form. Strong and smooth. Breath steady.)

Sit through knee 10, 10, 9, 9, 7, 8, 7, 8 ES (Fatigue setting in. Pushed through it.)

Push up 12, 11, 9, 9, 10, 9, 9, 9 (Fast. Burned out with about 5 sec remaining on timer each round.)

Spinal rock basic 6x7, 6, 7 (Didn't push too much. Proper form very important here.)

Tripod overhead 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5 ES (Arms begging me to stop. Good extension, shoulders open, total body fatigue.)

I had to take a few minutes to walk around and catch my breath. Felt a little nauseous, but it went away fairly quickly. Finished with yoga and meditation. Muscles were quivering when I got up. Had trouble holding my arms up to wash my hair. :)

DOMS is back today, as in, so sore I really don't want to move, but I have to or I'd never get up again.

Unbelievable sore: Triceps, biceps, shoulders, lats, glutes, hams, quads.

Nicely sore: Chest, calves, forearms

No workout scheduled. Mobility work and foam rolling, gentle yoga.

Too sore for any crow practice. Trying to tense my body for the hold lights everything up!

Good idea to let your body recover. Sometimes I try and push through it, thinking how much effort can a crow take. Which is usually when I land on my nose after 10 sec and fail. Learning to listen to your body is a good, even face saving thing :redface-new:

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Good idea to let your body recover. Sometimes I try and push through it, thinking how much effort can a crow take. Which is usually when I land on my nose after 10 sec and fail. Learning to listen to your body is a good, even face saving thing :redface-new:

Yeah, it feels so easy when you are functioning properly, but I just didn't have it yesterday. I've actually noticed a lot of things affect my ability to hold the pose since I started GTG. Sinus issues and sleep duration/quality are also major factors in my performance.

I wanted to share a beautiful post from Scott Sonnon that I read this morning. Emphasis is mine.

"I need to master martial art as fast as possible," I said, as my first
instructor laughed in the 80s, "How many lessons will it take?"
"10 years," he replied simply.

"10 years?! I don't have a decade. I need these changes to happen NOW!
What if I trained twice as hard, and practiced twice as long at home,
THEN how long will it take me to master martial art?"
"20 years," he responded with a smirk. He continued, "I can teach you how to defend
yourself in this weekend, and you'll be much more capable of addressing
the violence you're facing now, but mastery involves lifestyle
integration. You can't force it. You have to let it flow over time."

His cryptic words lingered throughout my life in every discipline I
sought to master: martial art, yoga, fitness, coaching, speaking,
writing, organizing, in nutrition, in parenting, in marriage, in
community service. The harder I tried to force things to happen, the
more artificial and ill-fitted they became, like quickly hammering a
suit of armor. It only took longer to master, as all of the dents and
dings needed to be smoothed and refitted anyway. Force only lengthened
the process.

One day, ironically true of his forecast twenty
years later, I awoke to his words I had long since forgotten. The
violence had disappeared. I had changed my life so that those
circumstances no longer could 'fit' within my lifestyle. Certainly, I
had used my martial art to defend myself many times, but the process of
slow, deliberate, methodical mastery also transformed my life to where I
no longer needed to defend myself. I stopped 'doing' martial art; and
had begun 'being' it.

Leon Brown wrote, "Impatience is the root
of all your problems. You cannot force life to give you all of the
answers. You must let them unfold before you." Baby steps are the way to
succeed in anything. Carefully take one step of improvement at a time
and latch it in.

It's not how fast or forcefully you try
things, but rather how consistently and patiently you implement the
lessons learned throughout your life. EVERY SINGLE DAY in each decision,
that's where transformation happens. That's how real, significant,
permanent change occurs, like the persistent drip of water's faith
eroding the rock of your hardships.

Elegantly, last night, my
son said to me after his high purple belt test, "Dad, I think I'm going
to stay at junior black belt for a long time after I get there." I asked
why. He replied, "Well... you said that when you die, I can have your
black belt, but I don't want you to die so I can have yours. It's okay
for me to be good. I can be great like you later."

Tearfully, I choked out the words, "Son, you surpass me already."

That's beautiful... and thought provoking.  I'm assuming it means something special to you.  How do you plan on taking that advice to heart?

It's actually something I'd discovered on my own over the last few years ... slow and steady transformation, compound goals to reach my ideal self, focus on perfecting the basics before trying anything fancy. He just expressed it all much better than I could. :)

This is something that I am reminded of on occasion (like today!) and totally desire for myself, but something that I often forget.  Might have to be a challenge theme. :)

That would be quite interesting to see!

Recovery is coming along. :)

Slightly sore: Triceps, glutes, hamstrings

Today's workout consisted of mobility work and 6 rounds of the Cricket Flow. I completed it in just under 10 minutes, though I think the decrease in time was mostly due to shorter holds in crow/crane, and just generally knowing the sequence better. I recorded myself today, just to see if I looked the way I felt. I was happy to see that everything that felt "perfect" and graceful actually appeared that way on camera, and things I felt I struggled with were exactly what I felt as well. It's nice to know I'm getting better at mentally/physically knowing how well I'm moving through space.

I worked up another good sweat, and cooled down with a few sun salutations and stretches, and then my meditation.

My daughter has gotten to where she doesn't need me to hold her while we dance around. She still likes it sometimes, but mostly, she's trying to experiment with her own little moves. We often do animal movements as well because she thinks they're so funny. She's really taken an interest in animals lately, and is getting great at naming them. I love the way she says "hippopotamus." I've tried to teach her that it's okay to say "hippo," but she refuses. :)

Feeling good today. Energy levels have been great the past few days, even with DOMS. 

Today's target RPE = 6-7

20 sec/exercises. 1 min rest between rounds.

Reverse  lunge 5, 5, 4x6 ES

Plank push knee 6x7

Sit through knee 7, 7, 8, 8, 8, 10 ES

Push up 5x4, 5

Spinal rock basic 7, 7, 6, 7, 7, 7

Tripod overhead 5, 5, 6, 6, 5, 6 ES

Pace felt good today. Enough to work up a light sweat, but could easily recover during the rest period. Form is much better on the tripod ... great extension without discomfort. Stretches and meditation after.

No soreness, and the great energy level has extended through today. I was definitely ready for today's peak!

Target RPE: 8-10

Tabata for each exercise. 1 min rest between exercises.

Reverse lunge: 9, 9, 9, 9.5, 10, 10, 10, 10 ES (No knee troubles today. Could really feel in glutes/hams.)

Plank push knee: 12, 11, 11, 10, 9, 8, 8, 8 (Started really strong, fatigue set in quickly?)

Sit through knee: 12, 12, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10, 10 ES (Great form and fast pace.)

Push up: 16, 16, 16, 16, 13, 14, 16, 15 (Holy $%#& were my arms tired.)

Spinal rock basic: 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 8 (Kept strict form, slightly increased pace.)

Tripod overhead: 8.5, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 10 (Feeling really tired by this point, but pushed through. Could feel shoulders were fatigued.)

Finished with yoga and meditation. Arms were too tired to hold up dog. Child's pose felt SO good.

I pushed to the beep on every exercise, going as fast as I could without sacrificing form. No nausea at the end, though my arms and legs were shaky upon attempting to stand. :)

Hmmm... I may have to try this setup. You do all sets of one exercise and then move on to the next or go in a circuit. What's the work to rest (1 min.) ratio?

On the High Intensity day, I set up a timer with an iPhone app. ((10 sec rest/20sec work)x8 + 50 sec rest) x 6. So a 4 min tabata for Exercise 1, rest 50 sec + 10 sec of next round, begin Exercise 2, etc. So I guess it's really closer to a 28 min workout. it goes by incredibly, miserably fast. :)

THat's a very impressive workout. Tabata stuff is hard and messes me up so I don't do it. I can't get the hang of the time on, time off thing.

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

THat's a very impressive workout. Tabata stuff is hard and messes me up so I don't do it. I can't get the hang of the time on, time off thing.

Thankfully, I can label each interval in the app. If I get confused, I can glance at it to see if it says "Go!" or "Rest."

5.5/5.6 = mobility and yoga. Not sore at all!

Target RPE 6/7

20 sec/exercise. No rest between exercises. 1 min rest between rounds.

Reverse lunge: 6x6 ES

Plank push knee: 6x6

Sit through knee: 8, 9, 8, 8, 8, 8 ES

Push up: 6x5

Spinal rock basic: 6x6

Tripod overhead: 5, 6, 5, 6, 5, 5 ES

Target RPE 8-10

Tabata for each exercise. 1 min rest between exercises.

Reverse lunge: 11, 11, 11, 11, 11.5, 11, 12, 12 (Only a 6 or 7, so should probably progress.)

Plank push knee: 12, 12, 10, 10, 9, 8, 9, 8 (Much better, less discomfort, but still tough.)

Sit through knee: 14, 13, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11 ES (Breath limiting pace in early rounds.)

Push up: 18, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 17, 16 (Longer for burn to set in.)

Spinal rock basic: 8x9 (Will progress from cradle to more extension next time.)

Tripod overhead: 12, 11, 10, 10, 9, 9, 10, 10 ES (Shoulders felt much better. Consider progressing.)

So I've noticed that my breath only allows me to go so fast on certain exercises. It's particularly evident on the plank push and sit through. Both force air in and out at certain points in the movements. I guess I at least know what max I'm looking for with each exercise. :)

Goal 1 "Inner and Outer Beauty" +2WIS, +2CHA -> +2WIS +1CHA

• Take better care of my skin. (Moisturize daily, track water intake, and continue to emphasize quality food.) Yes! My husband even commented about how nice my hands feel.
  • Find a way to nicer way to fix my hair for when we go out. I basically have 1 hairstyle, and I should probably figure out something nicer for when the occasion calls for it. Try 1 new style/week. Not once. Completely forgot about this goal once the ball was off my mind.
  • Begin with 5 minutes of daily meditation. Increase to 10 minutes daily by challenge's end. Yes! Some days are better than others, but it's something I look forward to again.
  • 10 min daily "dance party" with my daughter. (She's 2, so who knows what we'll actually be doing. Music + movement = fun/happiness for us both.) Yes! We had so much fun with this one, and my daughter has actually started learning to sing some of the songs we've danced to.

Goal 2: Grease the groove on crow. (Short holds throughout the day). +3STA -> +2.25 STA I'm so happy with my crow progress. I've played with and HELD one leg crow, practiced jumping into crow as seen here, feel very comfortable on my hands, and have had so much fun! The only days I really skipped were the ones where my sinuses were screwing with my balance.

Goal 3: Yoga for at least 10 minutes daily. +3 DEX, +1 CON -> +2.25 DEX, + .75 CON I got a slow start on this one, but I finished strong! I really love playing with various yoga flows.

Goal 4: Autoregulated workouts. Minimum of 3 workouts per week. +3STR, +1 WIS -> +3 STR + 1 WIS I was very consistent with my workouts, listened to my body, and pushed myself harder than I have in a while. My recovery has improved greatly just in the last few weeks as I've started to undulate intensity: No (Mobility, gentle flows), Low (Moblity, prasara flows), Moderate (mobility, strength, yoga), High (mobilty, conditioning, yoga).

Final stats
Level 5
STR: 16.75
DEX: 9.75
STA: 14.75
CON: 14
WIS: 12.75
CHA: 4.25

Great challenge!

It's been wonderful reading up on your thread.  I've learned a lot from you the past six weeks, and have been inspired to try some new things, myself.

Thanks! I'm going to try to post more often during the next challenge. I've really enjoyed being with the Assassins and having people with similar interests to converse with. :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines