Marisstella's Second Verse (Almost the Same as the First.)

Maris Stella

ROUND TWO, FIGHT!

I'm really excited about this challenge.

For one thing, my boyfriend just joined the rebellion! So we'll be doing parts of this challenge together (the diet parts). I am super pumped about this.

For another thing, I learned a lot from my first challenge. I've narrowed the scope of my goals this time around, and am going to be measuring things a lot more accurately. My only compound goal relates to diet. I think my goals are a lot more reasonable this time -- for example, my strength goal is at a more beginner level, and I dropped the easy reading goal from my life challenge, which distracted me last time from the writing goal. (If I keep up the writing goal for these challenges, maybe I'll actually have a draft of the book this year. Wouldn't that be neat!?)

I JUST WROTE THE WORD "GOAL" SO MANY TIMES IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE ANYMORE. 

Anyway. On to business!

Beginning Stats:

Level 2 Half-Elf Druid

Height: 5'10"

Measurements: (Wow. These are embarrassing) Weekly tracking marked with **, the rest I'll measure at the end of the challenge, just out of curiosity.

Neck: 13"

Chest: (tape directly under armpits) 34"

Ribcage: 29.5"

**Bicep: 10"

**High Waist: 28"

**Low Waist/belly: 36"

**Hips: 38.5"

**Thigh: 22"

Calf: 14"

[sTR] - 3 // [DEX] - 6.5 // [sTA] - 1 // [CON] - 6.5 // [WIS] - 4.5 // [CHA] - 3

Fitness Goals:

I will be tracking my measurements this challenge, every Monday morning. I don't want to set goals related to measurements because I don't know what a reasonable expectation would be. I want to take some circumference off my middle and my thighs, and I want to gain some circumference around my arms and calves, but I have no idea how much. Let's call this a "side-effect test." The soft goal here is that I want my arms to look a lot more defined and I want my clothes to hang better. (Eventually I want my whole body to be a lot more defined, and I want to be able to spontaneously walk around on my hands like it's no big deal. Also back flips. But, baby steps!)

The other side effects I would like to see relate to flexibility. I'd like to be able to do a real forward fold -- head to knees. I'd like to be able to step my foot through downward dog into a lunge without thumping it on the mat and wiggling it ungracefully up to my palms. I want to be able to do crow pose.

Overall, less squishy and floppy, more dense and controlled. 

1. I am a yogaholic.

The challenge: Spend at least 4 hours a week doing yoga.

Last challenge I set a goal of 3 hours and didn't quite make it...but I did go from 0 hours to 2 hours! This time I would like to have the same increase.

I only get the strength point if I get a B or above.

+2 [sTR], +3 [DEX]

2. I am strong.

The challenge: 5 full push-ups in a row

This weekend I assessed my push-up ability. It was a push-up state of the union.

Long story short, I can do one full push-up, or twelve push-ups from my knees.

In order to get to 5, I need to do push-ups at least every other day. 

I only get the stamina point if I get a B or above.

+4 [sTR], +1 [sTA]

Extra Bonus Awesomepants goals (accumulated along the way)
- Post to this thread.

Diet Goal:

3. You are what you eat -- I'm healthy, and I know what I'm made of.

The challenge: adhere to the "banned foods/controlled substances" list that Roback3 and I are sharing; eat veggies with two meals every day.

Adjusted this because the other one was stupid.

Banned foods:

- Soda

- Coffee Drinks

- White bread

- Ice cream (this one is Rob's. I can't eat ice cream :tongue:)

- Sweets at work (this one is mine.)

Controlled substances:

- basically anything with sugar.

+2 [CON]

Life Goal:

4. I am a writer.

The challenge: Complete 30 pages of my book

Yep. 30 more pages. 

Grading: A = 30 pages, B = 20 pages, C = 10 pages, D = 5 pages, F = 0 pages

+3 [WIS]

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

STR: 3 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 1 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4.5 | CHA: 3

If you do not change where you are headed, you will end up where you are going.

Oh, and here's a quote I just saw that I want to think about, throughout this challenge. Seems to relate to my 2013 goals about overcoming fear.

“Only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over to annihilation can that which is indestructible be found in us.â€

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

Hello there :)

I see you have increased your yoga time as well as going at the push ups again. Awesome to see. I think if something works, it's worth keeping around! Best of luck to you on your challenge endeavours :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

Thanks, Substix!

Alright. Day 2.

The person who says something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

On day 1 I ate an ok lunch at my company's cafe. Tried a vegan protein mix that sounded really great on the package and ended up being REALLY REALLY BAD. I'm curious what everyone thinks of protein mixes, in general. I keep an unsweetened/flavored hemp protein powder on hand in case I have a protein crisis, but I've never really used them much other than that.

Anyway, last night we made a not very healthy dinner, but hey, we didn't go out! I didn't do any exercise. Basically a meh start.

Started back up today much better. I really am digging my simple paleo breakfast -- 2 heaping tbs chia seeds, 3 heaping tbs hemp seeds, a sliced banana, about a cup of unsweetened almond milk, and usually a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg and vanilla. I mix that up and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I'll often add a handful of crushed walnuts but I didn't this morning. It doesn't sound like a ton of food, but it has about 15g of protein and a ton of fiber in it, so I feel full for quite a while! And it's just so gentle on my stomach. I find that if I eat something greasy for breakfast, like eggs, I just feel really sluggish. Eggs are better for dinner, ha.

I was also much better about drinking water today. My habit tends to be drinking 3-5 cups of tea throughout the day and maybe one glass of water. I'm trying for 1-2 cups of tea and 4 glasses of water. It was very very difficult to resist a latte this afternoon (I'm super tired after a late night and we have a starbucks INSIDE our building) but I did it. Christmas Miracle. 

Made a point to take my lunch outside and actually walk around, enjoying our nice campus. I'm looking forward to doing some push-ups and yoga this evening. Going to try to get to bed early, so I can do the workout first thing in the morning! Last night was an 11:30pm night and ummm that just doesn't work very well for me. If I'm to be honest with myself, I really need to be in bed by 10pm. Maybe earlier.

Because I'm 80 years old.

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

That Paleo breakfast sounds awesome. Just out of curiousity do you eat vegan exclusively? 

Great job on resisting the 'bucks (it's poison)!

Hey, getting to bed on time is important. Sleep is when the body recovers, and when you try to gain strength/muscle, it's really ill advised to skip on sleep. Wise words from a fellow 80y/o person :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

Awesome goals!!!!

I too want to post to that poses thread one day. I just can't do anything "post" worthy yet!

I'd like to be able to step my foot through downward dog into a lunge without thumping it on the mat and wiggling it ungracefully up to my palms.

You mean thats not how its done???? I am shocked! Now seriously, I am working towards that smooth transition from downward dog to lunge. I am now at the point you describe. In the past I had to actually use a hand to help my foot along. Now that was ungraceful! Practice will get us that! :)

You'll be doing 5 pushups before you know it! :D

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Thanks for the quick and easy high-protein breakfast tip! I'm going to try that one out.

That Paleo breakfast sounds awesome. Just out of curiousity do you eat vegan exclusively? 

Great job on resisting the 'bucks (it's poison)!

Hey, getting to bed on time is important. Sleep is when the body recovers, and when you try to gain strength/muscle, it's really ill advised to skip on sleep. Wise words from a fellow 80y/o person :)

It is awesome. Or at least I think so. The hemp seeds help offset the goopy chia-seed thing -- it ends up with a texture more like oatmeal than boogers. I may be a little off about the amount of almond milk -- I do it mostly "by feel" at this point. It might be more like 3/4 cup. Today I also added some slivered almonds that were toasted with honey. Ehrmagherd

I do not eat vegan exclusively, but try to be vegan as much as possible. Dairy, as much as I love it, absolutely destroys my system. Meat, as much as I love it, fills me with guilt. I eat both very sparingly. I also found that, when I was vegan for 8 months or so, I could not get enough B12 (my doctor watched my levels plummet over that time, despite vegan supplements and lots of spirulina). So at the very least I will always eat eggs. 

Hey, what a coincidence - I'm 80 too  :rolleyes-new:  :rolleyes-new:

I'm so glad I'm not the only elderly person, here! I went to bed at 9:30 last night. It was amazing. I might shout it from the rooftops while eating a bowl of soup and wearing velcro sneakers. 

Awesome goals!!!!

I too want to post to that poses thread one day. I just can't do anything "post" worthy yet!

You mean thats not how its done???? I am shocked! Now seriously, I am working towards that smooth transition from downward dog to lunge. I am now at the point you describe. In the past I had to actually use a hand to help my foot along. Now that was ungraceful! Practice will get us that! :)

You'll be doing 5 pushups before you know it! :D

Thanks, Chanda! I keep trying Crow but all I end up doing is face-planting onto a pillow. Which actually might be worth photographing and sharing, but I'd like to do something impressive, too.

I'm confident that we'll both be transitioning smoothly between poses, soon! Apparently core strength also has a lot to do with it. I probably need to do some planks with my push-ups.

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

The crow. Learning that one is soo much fun. What helped me alot was applying lots of preassure onto my elbows (or rather, elbow adjacent area) with my knee adjacent areas. Helped my a lot with the keep flying part! Also really dig in those fingers, helps a lot with the balance part :)

I can do it with my left foot liek 70% of the time. But still need my hand on the right like 35% of the time. Progressed alot already! :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

The crow. Learning that one is soo much fun. What helped me alot was applying lots of preassure onto my elbows (or rather, elbow adjacent area) with my knee adjacent areas. Helped my a lot with the keep flying part! Also really dig in those fingers, helps a lot with the balance part :)

I can do it with my left foot liek 70% of the time. But still need my hand on the right like 35% of the time. Progressed alot already! :)

I practiced the crow a little today during my routine, it's really a lot about core strength (and courage  :tongue: )

And the lunge, aaah the lunge. The other day in class our teacher told us to transfer more of our weight (move center of gravity) towards our arms and palms - that did help a bit. But I am NOT happy with the way I do it. Feels good to have you guys for inspiration!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Hey, I stopped by here after reading your posts in my thread; it looks like we might be kindred spirits!  I love your goals (I can see you've done this before - your goals make way more sense than mine).  Also, we have similar measurements (me: height 5'10.5, waist 29.5, thigh 21.75, bicep 10.5, hips 40.5).  And my boyfriend is an aspiring writer...maybe I should recruit him to join in next time.

I think I'll be using your progress as inspiration, if that's alright with you.  ;)

Substix and Evenewbie, thanks for the tips! I seriously need all the help I can get.

Incidentally, I don't recommend laughing hysterically when trying to do Crow pose. This does not assist the balancing process.

Hey, I stopped by here after reading your posts in my thread; it looks like we might be kindred spirits!  I love your goals (I can see you've done this before - your goals make way more sense than mine).  Also, we have similar measurements (me: height 5'10.5, waist 29.5, thigh 21.75, bicep 10.5, hips 40.5).  And my boyfriend is an aspiring writer...maybe I should recruit him to join in next time.

I think I'll be using your progress as inspiration, if that's alright with you.  ;)

Hullo! Yes, you will find that your first challenge's goals make no sense, hahaha. I think that is inevitable. But hey, most people are not taught how to set goals in the first place, so you have to learn somehow! I got no higher than a B on my last challenge, and very nearly failed one of my goals. It's definitely an ongoing learning process. So don't judge yourself too harshly this time around. Just do your very best, and use that as a starting point for the next challenge :D

Aaaand a week one update:

Kind of a meh start, to be honest. 

We were very good about making food at home, and not buying lunches out. I need to rethink that grading system though. (All the grading systems actually. But I digress.)

I did a whopping 1.5 hours of yoga this week so I obviously need to step up my game. I have a laundry list of excuses available but the truth is, I just psyched myself out and spent a lot of time sleeping this week. A lot of dramatic "I can't go on" kind of crap. And by "go on" I mean, move or think at all. 

This weekend was better. I drove up to LA to see a friend and go to the Iliad Bookshop. (If you love books, don't go there. Spare yourself. You should be saving for retirement.) I also did body-weight circuits with my yoga and am now waddling around like a duck. The push-ups are progressing. Basically I picked up the momentum for everything except writing. 

On to week 2!!

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

Blah, yeah. It was way low. I'm going to try and make up those missed hours. Doing an hour tonight, and I think I'm going to try and do 30 minutes when I wake up every day. 30 minutes always sounds so much more doable, and if I've got some down first thing in the morning, I think it's actually more likely that I'll do it in the evening.

I really wish I could get up earlier in the morning. Right now I struggle a lot with falling asleep and staying asleep, so I'm usually extremely tired come 6:30 am. Hopefully as I get into better shape, my sleep cycle will become more consistent and I can start my day earlier!

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

Sounds good, as long as you're goin in the right direction!

Having trouble sleepin sucks a lot. I hope you manage to get that into control quickly :) If you need help with that let me know, I know a lot of tips and tricks to tamper with sleep cycles.

Level 4 Human Ranger

i'm sorry to see you are having trouble getting your sleep time right. i love sleeping - i know that poor sleep just is depressing.

this article may or may not be helpful - depends on what is keeping you up.  i for one cannot make any coffee after work (i'd drink a whole pot) - b/c it gives me crazy stressful dreams. 

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Sounds good, as long as you're goin in the right direction!

Having trouble sleepin sucks a lot. I hope you manage to get that into control quickly :) If you need help with that let me know, I know a lot of tips and tricks to tamper with sleep cycles.

Um, yes. Teach me your ways!

i'm sorry to see you are having trouble getting your sleep time right. i love sleeping - i know that poor sleep just is depressing.

this article may or may not be helpful - depends on what is keeping you up.  i for one cannot make any coffee after work (i'd drink a whole pot) - b/c it gives me crazy stressful dreams. 

That was SUPER interesting, thank you for sharing! Bookmarking that for future reference.

I've gone through phases with sleep. A year ago, I could have gone to the olympics for sleeping. I could have napped anywhere, anytime, and I fell asleep really quickly. These days (as in my teens) I am randomly plagued by nighttime anxiety and vivid nightmares, sometimes even sleep paralysis. I've had two instances of sleep paralysis so far this year. I've switched out pillows and sheets, worn different clothes, played white noise, blah blah blah. No real progress. Not sure what's going on! I had a bunch of blood tests done in January and the only thing that was weird was my vitamin D. I've been on a supplement since then, and the things that were obviously vitamin D related have resolved.

But in other news, I can now get my foot from down-dog into lunge almost gracefully. One fluid motion, but still a bit of a thump. Gotta get the Bowser impressions out of my yoga practice.

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

OH HEY ALSO -- if you guys could encourage my friend roback3 over in the rangers, that would be awesome. He's brand new and doesn't have many accountabilibuddies yet!

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

Finally had a little time to swing by your thread!  

Hey! I'm 5' 10" too!  Hi-five to the tall kids!  :D

I'd like to be able to step my foot through downward dog into a lunge without thumping it on the mat and wiggling it ungracefully up to my palms.

Hee!  And here I was starting to give up hope that there's another way to do that. ;)  I get so super psyched when I can get my foot most of the way there....which would be maybe once a month when I'm feeling really great. Good to see you making some progress on that! 

I have the worst time getting up in the mornings too.  I'm gonna steal those links and see if I can straighten myself out too. 

Keep up the good work!

Sericite

----

Current ChallengeTwitter, Fitocracy, Goodreads

Main Quest: To lose 100 pounds

3%
3%

Thanks, Sericite! You'll get there with the transitions. It's amazing how fast it starts happening :)

In other news...

Damn, girls:

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

Finally had a little time to swing by your thread!  

Hey! I'm 5' 10" too!  Hi-five to the tall kids!  :D

Hee!  And here I was starting to give up hope that there's another way to do that. ;)  I get so super psyched when I can get my foot most of the way there....which would be maybe once a month when I'm feeling really great. Good to see you making some progress on that! 

I have the worst time getting up in the mornings too.  I'm gonna steal those links and see if I can straighten myself out too. 

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Sericite! You'll get there with the transitions. It's amazing how fast it starts happening :)

Totally true! When I started out I had to pick up my foot with my hand and put it into place, now I can place it perfectly on the first try. Been doing it about 4 weeks now.

Incredibly Strong women (impressive!) aside, how are your own goals going? Hope you're still doing great :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

That is awesome, substix. I still have a bit of a "thump" but I can get my foot up there without a problem. Just working on grace, now.

My goals are going. I've got 3 hours of yoga this week, and been working on the pushups. I have decided to adjust my diet goal because the problem with limiting eating out was that I ended up skipping a lot of meals if I hadn't prepared. We dropped that this weekend and just made a point to eat non-processed, non-cheesy, non-bready things, and stick to our banned foods list (still going strong!)

Part of the problem was I doubled a chili recipe so that we could take it to work, and ended up really messing it up in the process >< WHOOPS.

Still battling writer's block, but there is time left today.

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines