Tempering the metal_weaver

metal_weaver

tem·per

verb (used with object)

13. Metallurgy . to impart strength or toughness to (steel or cast iron) by heating and cooling.

Tough, not hard. That's my motto for this challenge.

tough

adjective 

1. strong and durable; not easily broken or cut. 

2. not brittle or tender. 

5. capable of great endurance; sturdy; hardy: tough troops.

hard

adjective 

1. not soft; solid and firm to the touch; unyielding to pressure and impenetrable or almost impenetrable. 

5. difficult to deal with, manage, control, overcome, or understand: a hard problem.

OKAY!! Word play out of the way... I'm on a mission! Here are my objectives:

1) There's ALWAYS room for-- "NO" (or: Metal_Weaver vs. the Sugar Demon, round 2 - FIGHT!)

Cut processed sugar-foods COMPLETELY out of my life.

This includes cookies, cake, candy, chocolate, and any other "food" that is primarily sugar. Graded weekly.

A = 6 or 7 days out of the week

B = 4 or 5 days out of the week

C = 2 or 3 days out of the week

Changed March 11 (2013) -- Revised Goal 1) for the remaining 4 weeks of the Challenge:

Eat strict Paleo from waking through 5:30pm and from 6:30pm till bedtime.

Meat, veggies and fruit. I'm going to reserve nuts for a treat since I have a tendency to binge on those.

The content of dinner will be mostly out of my control, but my goal between 5:30 and 6:30pm will be to be mindful and try to achieve as close to Paleo eating as possible. No bread, small portions of pasta & potatoes, etc. I'm aiming to not eat anything from 6:30 till bedtime, but if I DO eat, I want it to be Paleo.

-- I've done the first portion of the day Paleo before, so I know I can do it again... the real challenge will be from 5:30 on.

A = 6 or 7 days out of the week

B = 4 or 5 days out of the week

C = 2 or 3 days out of the week

• At Challenge recap, I'll be counting the total # of days spent sugar-food-free/Paleo.
  • Epic Win = 42 days = A+ (+1 Sta, +2 Con, +1 Wis, +1 Cha) & a Trinket of Awesomesauce failed on the 2nd day :(
  • 36-41 days = A (+1 Sta, +2 Con, +1 Wis)
  • 24-35 days = B (+1 Sta, +1 Con)
  • 12-23 days = C (+1 Wis)
  • <12 = F

2) The road goes ever on and on (Start the long journey to becoming an Assassin)

I want the world to be my playground. I want to move freely about my surroundings without feeling awkward or limited. I want to traverse (almost) any obstacle this urban jungle-gym can throw at me. Watch as an assassin is born!

Work out for at least 30 minutes using body-weight exercises 3 times per week.

It's as simple as that. I will track the particular exercises I do (ex: planks, squats, push-ups, inv rows, etc) on a spreadsheet (yay Google docs!) for accountability.

I'm going to allow myself some creative room. Our fearless leader has put LOTS of great body-weight circuits together to keep us from getting bored, so I plan on exploring those in this challenge.

• 18 body-weight workouts over the next 6 weeks will result in +2 Str, +2 Sta, +1 Cha
  • Less than 18 will scale down accordingly.

3)

Bellydance, Zumba, DDR, Gangham Style... doesn't matter. Stop being shy about getting down with the groove and GET MOVING! 

3.1) Watch, participate, and complete the Belly Dance how-to instructional/fitness DVD my sister got me.

3.2) Watch, participate, and complete at least the Basic Steps of the Zumba DVDs I have.

3.2.1) BONUS FOR ZUMBA: go to at least one class at K Sabrosa (local Zumba classes that are easily affordable)

3.3) Hook up the DDR pad and get my step on at least twice during the challenge.

3.4) Watch, participate, and attempt at least twice to dance Gangham Style. Just because it makes me giggle.

3.5) Watch & participate in at least two self-teaching YouTube vids on either hip-hop or tribal fusion bellydance moves to aid in the grooving to my fave dubstep songs.

• Completing all 5 objectives will result in +2 Dex, +1 Str, +1 Cha
  • Completing all 5 obj AND the Bonus will result in an additional +1 Wis (for learning how to do it right)
  • Partial completions will be evaluated at Challenge Recap

4) Do or do not. There is no try.

Check at least 6 points worth of things off my to-do list.

No stat attributes since the list varies in necessary skills. This is my "level-up my life" goal though. I NEED to achieve this goal (along with the other goals set out w/in this challenge) to successfully level up 2.

---

Here's to a great challenge!

---

... Wait a second Joy... how does ANY of that have to do with being tough, not hard?!

Oooh, so glad you asked! I often make things hard on myself by trying to restrict my crazy thought processes into a mold, pattern, or theme. Well, I decided that instead of making this challenge hard and restricting myself on what I wanted to prove myself capable of... I was going to allow the creativity to flow and prove just how tough I can be. To me, "hard" = unmoving, "tough" = untearing. There's a HUGE difference. Like the proverbial young sapling that bends in the gale versus the brick wall that falls and crumbles... I want to be flexible and tough enough to take what life gives me without breaking. And plus, my dad used to complimented my purple-dyed hair (in my teenage rebellion) with a "you look so tough!" :) Still makes me smile.

Props: BlamedCat's Grumpy Cat post,

, Yoda

Tough, not hard. That's my motto for this challenge..

Simply put, this looks awesome :D  You're gonna rock this challenge!

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Good goals. I'll be watching

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

*KAH-POW*!! Wow... I came very close to blowing my perfect score for my first goal on the FIRST NIGHT! *le sigh* My will-power has taken a massive hit. So here's how it went down.

Goal 1, right, no sugar-food. The Grands promised my kids ice cream. Okay, cool, I can resist ice cream. Well, then they went out shopping till late (past 8pm = late cause I gotta get the kids to bed), so I decided "fine, I'll get 'em ice cream". Look in the deep freezer. No ice cream bucket. Hmm.. that's odd. Go into the fridge's freezer... no ice cream bucket. Now I'm thinking "what a cruel trick you played" about the Grands until I was about to close the freezer door, then I saw the line-up of 6 different Culvers pints. Well played, Demon. So I let the kids have their pick of the selection and started my "NO" engine. Resisted licking the spoon(s). Resisted licking my fingers (that was amazingly hard). Resisted taking a scoop. Resisted it to the nines. WOOT!! So this evening's score:

Me: 1 -- Sugar Demon: 0

41 days to go. @_x

As stupid as this sounds, I'm exhausted from my epic battle of will-power in the kitchen. But that's like an alcoholic going into a bar and being offered free drinks. Wow. I'm honestly not up for working out tonight. I'm going to peruse YouTube and find some dance vids to act silly to. I need a pick-me-upper. :)

So ended up not dancing last night. Hubby did the zombie-call to come to bed and like the ghoul I am, I couldn't resist. :tongue: So not a strong finish to day 1, but it was a "safe" finish. Almost lost it again this morning. Dad in law was up making waffles for the boys. I ALMOST ate a piece off the youngest's plate (wouldn't be that bad except that it was soaked in strawberry sauce - SUGAR). UGH!!! Now that I'm paying attention to it... sugar is EVERYWHERE!!

I also decided I'm going to do another un-tracked goal - continuing to stay Paleo before 5pm. I'm afraid if I don't put it out there... I won't do it and I'll slip back into my old bad habits cause "it's not sugar...". This challenge is already proving tougher than I thought it would be. That's okay... it's challenging... and that's the point. :)

(edit was to denote that I'm continuing this "goal")

Good job on the resistance, build it back up for more willpower!

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Sugar, why you so tasty?!

I know, right?! Tasty and addictive. Argh! lol

So many ppl into Dr. Who... I'm really starting to wonder what it's all about. Time Lords and the tardis and that funky screwdriver. And the epic scarf. Does he even wear the epic scarf anymore? I know enough to seem dangerous... even though I've never watched more than 3 episodes (2 of which were at my sister's place as I was falling asleep). ;)

I know, right?! Tasty and addictive. Argh! lol

So many ppl into Dr. Who... I'm really starting to wonder what it's all about. Time Lords and the tardis and that funky screwdriver. And the epic scarf. Does he even wear the epic scarf anymore? I know enough to seem dangerous... even though I've never watched more than 3 episodes (2 of which were at my sister's place as I was falling asleep). ;)

Haha, a double whammy. Doctor Who is awesome, you can check out the reboot on Netflix. Only the 4th Doctor wears the epic scarf, the reboot starts with the 9th :D

Level 3 Time Lord AdventurerChallenge Thread

| | Cosplay Blog | |

Haha, a double whammy. Doctor Who is awesome, you can check out the reboot on Netflix. Only the 4th Doctor wears the epic scarf, the reboot starts with the 9th :D

9th?! *sings "This is the Song that Never Ends" in her head... replacing "song" with "series"* @_x  lol - even so, still might have to check it out. I know my sister would be thrilled if I did. 

These goals are AMAZING :)

Thanks Bekah! ^_^

Amazing goals!! They made me smile and laugh :) GREAT JOB on resisting temptation!! Woot for you!!!!!! Now get out there and DANCE! :D

Surge, Level 3 Wood Elf RangerSTR 13.5 | DEX 4.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 7.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 5"Surge Supra : Rise Above"

Operation: Just Do It

"When running up a hill it's alright to give up as many times as you wish; as long as your feet keep moving."

Busted.

So I normally do 5-10 push ups off the counter in the ladies restroom whenever I visit while I'm at work. Today's restroom was swarming with convention peeps, so I decided to do them at my desk! Ha... yeah someone walked back here (I work in the back row of a cubicle maze where even the brave rarely trod) and was like "oh, someone's working out back here!" Instant blush! Fortunately it was my buddy Eric who knows about the journey I'm on, so after a bit of good-natured heckling he left me alone to finish my reps. Phew! 

Moral of the story: don't let anyone stand in the way of achieving your goals and sticking with good habits. ^_^

Busted.

So I normally do 5-10 push ups off the counter in the ladies restroom whenever I visit while I'm at work. Today's restroom was swarming with convention peeps, so I decided to do them at my desk! Ha... yeah someone walked back here (I work in the back row of a cubicle maze where even the brave rarely trod) and was like "oh, someone's working out back here!" Instant blush! Fortunately it was my buddy Eric who knows about the journey I'm on, so after a bit of good-natured heckling he left me alone to finish my reps. Phew! 

Moral of the story: don't let anyone stand in the way of achieving your goals and sticking with good habits. ^_^

LOL.  You're awesome!  Way to keep going!  I'm proud of you for finishing up your reps even after he left ;)

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

You're the one!  I must have read your goal post this weekend when I was randomly checking things out.  I spent this morning (while in recovery of course) cruising through youtube looking for zumba vids.  Thanks for the idea.  I've got some great warm up and cool down vids and well as a set of instructions for each move.  Looking forward to finding my grove, too.  :playful:

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."                                 Vivian Greene

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/27008-357k80in-search-of-iron/

You're the one!  I must have read your goal post this weekend when I was randomly checking things out.  I spent this morning (while in recovery of course) cruising through youtube looking for zumba vids.  Thanks for the idea.  I've got some great warm up and cool down vids and well as a set of instructions for each move.  Looking forward to finding my grove, too.  :playful:

I'm the one?! Like... Neo?!

*sings* I believe I can fly! *jumps forward, arms spread out Titanic style... and lands on her face* ... it's a work in progress. :P

SO glad I could inspire you to YouTube it up for some dance moves!! The little bit I've done of Zumba was wickedly fun... so I'm looking forward to "having an excuse" to delve deeper into it. Glad to have you as one of the NerdVengers too... ;)

Zumba <3

I did it in a class once, and apparently I'm SO good at it, that my daughter felt the need to videotape me (I'm not sure what the laughter and crying and falling on the floor in fits was about though ;) ) but I got in a great workoutand had a blast, but in order to keep my daughter from injuring herself in another fit of laughter...I don't do classes! lololol

Enjoy! I have heard great things about Wii Zumba if you like the idea of that.

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Way to go metal_weaver! I definitely admire your first goal - that's a big undertaking.

I love dancing. Such great exercise and it's fun. It's been awhile since I've done any Zumba, but I might just have to get back into it :)

Level 2 Half-elf Adventurer

STR 3.25 | DEX 3.75 | STA 6.5 | CON 6 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 3.75

Intro ~ Challenge 1 ~ Challenge 2

"Sometimes the path of least resistance leads through a minefield"

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines