Mariah Snow's Push-Pull Challenge!

MariahSnow

Fitness Goals (+4 STR):

Pull-ups

Starting point: currently at 20 lb one-arm dumbbell rows (3 sets of 10-12 reps)

Current plan: continue to do dumbbell rows each upper body workout until I reach 30 lbs (hopefully in 2-3 more workouts), then switch to bodyweight rows on the smith machine. Once I get to assisted pull-ups, I can work on those at home every other day.

A if I can do one unassisted pull-up (+2 STR)

B if I can do one slightly assisted pull-up (+1.5 STR)

C if I can do 4 sets of 20 bodyweight rows (+1 STR)

D if I move up in weight on the dumbbell rows

F if I don’t do anything

Push-ups

Starting point: currently at 4 sets of 10, 10, 5, 5 push-ups off my coffee table

Current plan: progress to 4 sets of 20 push-ups and then move to the floor for “real†push-ups. On the current schedule, adding 5 reps to 1 set per workout, I should reach floor pushups by March 17th and have 11 days to improve on floor push-ups after that.

A If I can do 4 sets of 20 push-ups (+2 STR)

B if I can do 4 sets of 10 push-ups (+1.5 STR)

C if I can only do 4 sets of 5 push-ups (+1 STR)

D if I don’t make it to floor push-ups but I’ve made progress on coffee table push-ups

F if I stop progressing

Note: All my workouts include back exercises (like back rows, lat pulldowns, Olympic bar rows, etc. as well as chest exercises like dumbbell bench presses, dumbbell chest flyes, etc. So I’m working on those muscle groups outside of doing pull-ups and push-ups. I do push-ups every other day at night and I do upper body workouts on a flex-week schedule: Week 1 is M/W/F, Lower/Upper/Lower. Week 2 is M/W/F Upper/Lower/Upper.

Diet Goals (+2 CON)

I'm going to do my diet plan on a point system (using positive reinforcement instead of negative).

1+ pt for each day I avoid office goodies (this allows me to redeem myself for a previous meal slip up, like that burger I had yesterday, but it depends on whether or not there are office goodies to resist)

0.33+ pt for each meal that contains a fruit/veg and protein. An ideal meal for me is 1 cupped palm of carbs (optional), 1 palm of protein (approximately 4 oz), and 2 cupped hands of fruits/veg. I eat "meals" 3x a day, so one day gives me 1 full point. I need to get some blueberries up in my morning oatmeal!

42 points are possible for the meals, so I'll break it down like this:

A - 40+ pts (95%) +2 CON

B - 35+ pts (83%) +1.5 CON

C - 30+ pts (71%) +1 CON

D - 25+ pts (60%) +0.5 CON

F - 0+ pts  (0%) +0 CON

Level up your life goal (+2 WIS):

Book a vacation

A if the vacation is totally booked, flights, hotels, activities, etc.

B if the vacation destination and dates are finalized (this involves lots of discussion with the man)

C if the vacation destination is narrowed between a few choices

F is the vacation falls through

If it's booked or planned (A or B), that's +2 WIS. This is particularly difficult because my significant other/travel buddy is essentially on-call at his job, so planning what we're going to do this weekend can be difficult.

Beast Mode/Berserker Challenge (+1 CHA):

Stairmaster:

I’m going to get my butt on a stairmaster (not the one with the paddles, the one with the stairs that go in a loop). I got on one at a gym a long time ago and nearly passed out because stairs are not my friend (apparently) and I think I was conflicted with pride (no, I will not go slower!) and it has turned me off of stairmasters since. But they’re a great way to get an intense workout. 20 seconds of courage to walk over and get on one. If I make it for 10 minutes, yahoo! If not, hop off before it’s unpleasant and/or decrease the speed so I learn it’s not a torture device. Then perhaps, I’ll do it again!

Smith Machine:

I'm scared of most unfamiliar gym equipment, so learning how to move the bar on a smith machine for bodyweight rows is going to require 20 seconds of courage to walk up to it and fiddle around until I figure it out. I also still feel like an outsider in the weight area because I'm a woman, so here's to "manning" up and getting over myself!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I think your goals are well thought out, totally achievable, and fairly similar to mine - I never dreamed I'd be able to do pullups and pushups for reps and sets! The Smith machine isn't all that scary, and you can watch video online to get a feel for it if you don't have someone at your gym to show you. I'm happy to help ya in any way I can along the way and am proudly cheering you on.

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. - Robert A. Heinlein 

Ok here's my first update (even though it's only been about a day)...

2/25/2013

Pull-ups: I did hang off the pull-up bar last night and pull with everything I've got. I started at a dead hang and got my arms to bend slightly, but that was about it.

Push-ups: I did 4 sets of 10, 10, 10, 5 last night.

Diet: Breakfast was oatmeal and a protein shake. No veg or fruit, so no points.

Lunch was a salad with two eggs: +0.33

Dinner was a turkey wrap with tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers, spinach: +0.33

Total: 0.66

2/26/2013

No push-ups today

No pull-up work until tomorrow

Diet: Breakfast was oatmeal with blueberries and a protein shake (+0.33)

Lunch: Assorted veg from Whole Foods: cabbage Slaw, kale and cranberries, cucumber salad, beans and quinoa (+0.33)

Dinner: Chicken, some brisket, green beans, and roasted butternut squash (+0.33)

Also, there was a huge BBQ feast at lunch today, so I brought home so brisket but successfully avoided the cookies! (+1)

Total: +2

I did tell my boyfriend that part of my challenge is booking a vacation, so he's aware of the fire under my butt.

Good luck with the pull-ups! That was one of my goals for the last challenge, and while I improved dramatically, I didn't quite make it. Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

Unassisted pull-ups are more like a dream, but who knows, maybe I'll get there!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

2/27/2013

Pull-ups: I hung off the bar again and pulled. My boyfriend was there to cheer me on, but I didn't get very far. I'm really focusing on pulling my shoulder blades down my back before I try to engage my biceps (which are like barely the size of chicken thighs anyway)

Push-ups: I did 4 sets of 10! They felt kind of easy despite the fact that I did chest stuff at the gym that morning. I made sure to pay attention and truly go down as far as I could to make them as hard as possible.

Misc workouts: I did a back/chest workout. My dumbbell rows were still 20lbs, but I felt like I could have gone up to 22.5lbs, so next time (Monday) I will. For some reason, I felt really tired on some of my other exercises**

Diet: Breakfast was oatmeal again, but this time with blueberries!! And a protein shake (+0.33)

Lunch was leftover dinner from 2/26 - chicken breast, some shrimp, green beans, and roasted butternut squash. (+0.33)

Dinner last night was epic beyond epic: pot roast with carrots, onions, and turnips, half a sweet potato, and a salad with tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers and blue cheese dressing (+0.33). Reason for the epicness: my boyfriend planned and cooked the whole thing (which is rare). It is SO nice to come home and dinner is just waiting. I didn't have to think of anything to make, or prep anything. Awesome.

Total: +1

2/28/2013

Rest day!!!! Today is a rest, feed, and more rest day. I slept from about 10:30 last night til 7 AM this morning (yay sleep).

No pull-ups or push-ups. Maybe I'll hang off the bar to stretch my back tonight.

Diet: Breakfast was a protein shake smoothie with 1 banana, frozen mango pieces, and some chia seeds. +(0.33)

Lunch: leftover awesomeness pot roast love (+0.33)

Dinner: probably a turkey wrap (turkey, tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers(!!!), romaine lettuce, mustard, in a wheat tortilla wrap) - planned

Total: +1 (hopefully)

**Extra Notes

I felt pretty tired on 2/27 for a few reasons. 1) I am training for a triathlon and this week was the first week of running, lifting, and then swimming. 2) I've been staying up later because the boyfriend is home and he's fun. 3) I do supersets to save time at the gym and work opposing muscle groups. Example: skull crushers (triceps), dumbbell bench press, dumbbell flyes, then tricep dips. If I up the weight on the skull crushers, I know I'm not going to do as well on the tricep dips and the dumbbell flyes, so I tend to only increase the weight on one exercise in the superset, otherwise I won't make it through the set.

Triathlon Notes

The triathlon is April 27th and the distances are 500 meter swim, 12.5 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. I've been a long-distance runner for a while, multiple half marathons and my last big race was a 30K (18+ miles) while I was training for a marathon (which didn't happen due to injury, hence the weight training). So the distance doesn't concern me. I did a duathlon (2 mile run, 15 mile bike, and another 2 mile run) a few weekends ago and that last run off the bike was particularly weird (jelly legs). My typical Saturday morning bike ride is about 12 miles. I also used to swim regularly for 30 mins and cover just under 1500 yards. So like I said, it's not the individual distances that's the problem, it's doing everything back to back.

I'm also signed up for another triathlon (same distance) on August 4th. In Texas. Do they make ice packs you can put in your shorts? :P

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

3/1/2013

Pull-ups: nada

Push-ups: nada. I forgot since it was date night.

Diet

Breakfast: 1 muffin, blueberries, protein shake (+0.33)

Lunch: half chicken salad sandwich, greek salad (+0.33)

Dinner: hummus with pita, asparagus and artichoke salad (+0.33)

3/2/2013

Push-ups: 4 sets of 15, 10, 10, 10. I need to go deeper in my pushups and really make sure they are as challenging as possible.

Diet

Breakfast: protein shake, pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese (+0)

Lunch: salad with bacon and turkey (+0.33)

Dinner: homemade chicken aloo gobi (cauliflower) (+0.33)

Today was particularly snacky, I had some popcorn during a movie and still wasn't satisfied so I had some graham crackers.

Total: +0.66

3/3/2013 (so far)

Push-ups: nada

Diet

Breakfast: bacon, eggs with bell peppers and tomatoes, blueberries and a banana (+0.33)

Lunch: side salad, slice of pizza from Whole Foods and TWO oatmeal raisin cookies (no protein, so no points, unless cheese counts!).

Dinner: spinach artichoke pesto chicken (+0.33) - this was so yummy

Total: pending

Feeling pretty cranky today. People annoy me and I live in the 4th largest city in the country, so there are always people. The parking lot at the grocery store is like Christmas at the mall, all the time. I'm tired of planning all this food and packing up snacks all day. I know if I don't though, I'll be even more cranky. Typical Sunday crankiness, thinking about the week to come.

The crankiness prevailed and I ate two oatmeal raisin cookies (why? because I felt like it!). I also got my sweetie to grab me some peanut M&Ms to eat while we watched The Princess Bride. However, I spent some time packing up protein shakes, oatmeal, and snacks for the week, so that helped with the crankiness.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Looks like you're doing a great job tracking everything. I can't imagine living in a large city for the same reason. People tend to annoy me, but I'm working on it as part of my challenge. lol

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Looks like you're doing a great job tracking everything. I can't imagine living in a large city for the same reason. People tend to annoy me, but I'm working on it as part of my challenge. lol

I agree! 

If you manage to keep up the great logs and motivation to do all the things you're goin' to go far! You seem to be struggling a bit with the pullup. I was too, only 6 short weeks ago. What helped me a lot was this, have you read it?

Best of luck with reaching your goals! I hope you have and easy time of it aswell :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

I agree! 

If you manage to keep up the great logs and motivation to do all the things you're goin' to go far! You seem to be struggling a bit with the pullup. I was too, only 6 short weeks ago. What helped me a lot was this, have you read it?

Best of luck with reaching your goals! I hope you have and easy time of it aswell :)

I have read the article and I'm following it mostly. I work on one-arm dumbbell rows when I do upper body, and this morning I did one set with the 22.5 lb weight, but I had to back down to 20 lbs because I was tired from other back-bicep exercises. Once I get to 25-30 lbs dumbbells, I'll switch to bodyweight rows (as per the article). But I need to do more things like chair-assisted pull-ups or something. I mean, I have a pull-up bar right off of my kitchen!! Tonight when I do my push-up sets, I will do some assisted pull-ups as well. I'm also thinking about moving my push-up sets to every day because I'm not as sore as I was between days as I first started, but we'll see...

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

That's great! If you have a plan, the only step left is to execute said plan. Looks like you'll get there easily :)

If you feel comfortable doing them, definately go for assisted pullups. Just be careful to do it safely! I did BODBR/BWR/APU 3 times a week for 5 weeks, then did 6 pull ups in 3 sets of 2. If I can do it, so can you! :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

3/4/2013

Push-ups: 4 sets of 15, 15, 10, 10. These were good. The last couple in the last set were really hard, like, "hmm, am I going to make it back up once I get down there?"

Pull-ups: in between my push-up sets, I did 3 chair-assisted pull-ups, so that's 4 sets of 3 pull-ups. I tried to really pull with my back before I engaged my legs, and I felt my entire back and core tighten up. Sweet!

Diet:

Breakfast - oatmeal, chia seeds, blueberries, and a protein shake (+0.33)

Lunch - turkey and cucumber wrap, side salad (+0.33)

Dinner - 3 eggs,1.5 slices of bacon, steamed spinach, and buttered toast (I was really craving that!) +(0.33)

Also, I successfully avoided the donuts at work, despite the fact that they lingered into the afternoon! (+1)

Also also, my workout yesterday consisted of lots of back and bicep work, and I managed to do one set of dumbbell rows with a 22.5 lb dumbbell, so that's good!

Total +2!!

3/5/2013

Push-ups: I am switching to daily push-ups, so tonight I will do 4 sets of 15, 15, 15, 10 (planned)

Pull-ups: nothing planned, but that might change.

Diet:

Breakfast - oatmeal, chia seeds, blueberries, protein shake (+0.33)

Lunch - turkey and cucumber wrap, side salad (+0.33) (planned)

Dinner - TBD, probably a salad with tuna or something.

You might have noticed that I eat the same thing every day. This will get boring, but my boring-ness limit is usually about a month. One time, I ate PB and J for lunch for a month (I was working on a boat in the summer without a cooler), and then I didn't eat PB for like 6 months. The day I rediscovered PB was epic. Anyway, when the boredom hits, I will probably change up my breakfast to something like toast with almond butter. Or oat bran. I also have assorted frozen fruits that I can mix into the oatmeal to change the taste (mangoes in oatmeal?). Also, I try to make meals with leftovers so I can eat off it for a few days. So if I make something for dinner, I'll also eat it for lunch the next day (hence the repeat turkey cucumber wraps).

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

3/5/2013 continued...

Pull-ups: I have to walk under the pull-up bar to clean the kitty litter, so on my way out, I hung and pulled as much as possible. I felt like I got farther up, but it's hard to tell.

Dinner - leftover spinach chicken artichoke pesto (+0.33)

It's nutrition month at work, and so we've been getting emails about eating healthy. And then someone's wife who makes cakes brought in literally 5 cakes, cupcakes, chocolate mouse dip, etc. I avoided it all! (+1)

3/6/2013

Push-ups: 4 sets of 15, 15, 15, 15

Pull-ups: 4 sets of 4, 3, 3, 3 in between push-up sets

I also got a wild hair while watching the biggest loser and tried doing some regular pushups. I only did one or two. They definitely weren't as hard as they had been in the past and I was focusing on getting as low as possible. I'm thinking I might have to subject my coworkers to push-ups every time I come back from the bathroom (which is a lot because I drink a lot of water).

Diet

Breakfast: oatmeal and a protein shake. I forgot I ran out of blueberries at work but remembered I had grapes, woot! (+0.33)

Lunch: Whole Foods run - lots of kale, some white beans, few chunks of tofu, and tomato basil soup (+0.33)

Dinner: curry chicken spaghetti squash bowl (+0.33)

3/7/2013 (so far)

Push-ups: I will do 4 sets of 20, 15, 15, 15 tonight

Pull-ups: probably just dead hang

Diet

Breakfast: mango banana protein smoothie (+0.33) -YUM!

Lunch: leftover curry chicken spaghetti squash (+0.33) - pending

Dinner: TBD, but probably a tuna wrap and some salad (+0.33) - pending

I have been craving sweet things and usually after dinner I rummage for something. The best thing I could come up with the other day was some graham crackers. Last night I ate a handful of stale marshmallows (which i actually really like). I bought some nice dark chocolate yesterday at Whole Foods, but I forgot it at work and now I don't really want it. But it does have almonds and sea salt. Also, I have a coworker who just had a baby (last July), just started up crossfit, and is doing a paleo challenge. It's nice to have someone to talk about working out and food. We have been passing recipes back and forth even though I'm not paleo. Some of my other coworkers are really weird with food and criticize your choices or assign feelings to food, "I only ate one cookie so I didn't feel so guilty". It's awesome and refreshing to have someone "normal" to talk to!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

The rest of 3/7/2013 went as planned, tuna wrap and all.

3/8/2013

Push-ups: did not happen

Pull-ups: did not happen

Diet

Breakfast: fruit-filled croissant, that counts right? (+0)

Sometime between breakfast and lunch, the company laid off some people. I was luckily not one of them. As a result, lunch was...

Salmon, friend plantains, asparagus, charro beans (+0.33) and also a round for everyone at the table.

Dinner: Everyone still standing went out to a bar, where I had a BLT with avocado and fries (I'm not going to give this points on the basis of lunch's lack of veg and the fact that the fries probably negated anything vegetable I ate).

Total: +0.33

3/9/2013

Push-ups: I did some REAL pushups, 5 of them, during commercial breaks from Underworld. I did it for about 3-4 commercial breaks.

Pull-ups: I jumped up to the bar and basically fell right back down. But hey, at least it's something.

Diet:

Breakfast: protein shake and bagel with onion-chive cream cheese ( that's veg, right?)

Sometime between breakfast and lunch, the food from the previous night caught up with me and my stomach had some things to say about my choices.

Lunch: Stuff from Whole Foods - kale salad with cranberries, cucumber salad with feta, some quinoa and beans (+0.33)

Dinner: I thought I ordered lamb shawarma, but what I got was a lamb shawarma wrap, with cucumber salad and hummus (+0.33)

3/10/2013 so far

Push-ups: none yet, that should change

Pull-ups: I need to get back on these as well

Diet

Breakfast: eggs, bacon, and some random concoction of apples, blueberries, and cinnamon (those were the only ingredients and it was like pie filling, yum!) (+0.33)

Lunch: sweet potato soup, salad with tofu (+0.33)

Dinner: chicken with green beans and roasted acorn squash (planned)

The last few days have been a bust diet-wise and they've been really strange. This week will be strange moving forward, seeing an empty desk every day where my coworker used to sit. I just kind of let my diet go with the flow, ate what I felt like, and overall I don't think I made horrible choices. I didn't pig out like crazy, but I still felt the after effects of the beer and fried food. 

I was really snacky this week. Since January and since I started this challenge, I haven't gotten than feeling when I'm eating that's like, "what am I going to eat after this?" Like, what kind of sweet candy thing can I get into? I keep some hard candies at my desk so I can eat those from time to time, but this week was really bad. Thursday I just kept snacking on things. And on Friday I definitely just sat at my desk and snacked on nuts, fruit, etc, all afternoon. And now that I think about it, this week had been really weird and stressful for no apparent reason (until we found out the reason on Friday morning). Everyone at work was just on edge and the entire atmosphere at work was different. I guess I should pay more attention to my cravings because they're probably a really good indicator of being stressed (or when the shits about to hit the fan).

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Hola checking in on your thread of awesome!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Holy crap I have a lot of updating to do!

3/11/2013

Push-ups: 8, 6, 6, 6

Pull-ups: None. Fail :(

Diet

Breakfast: Pumpkin sunflower seed butter bread (no veggies, so +0)

Lunch: roasted chicken, green beans, acorn squash (+0.33)

Dinner: chicken and sweet potato soup (+0.33)

3/12/2013

Push-ups: None.

Pull-ups: None.

Diet

Breakfast: Pumpkin sunflower seed butter bread (+0)

Lunch: chicken salad (+0.33)

Dinner: eggs, bacon, and acorn squash (+0.33)

3/13/2013

Push-ups: I did 4 sets, but I didn't keep track

Pull-ups: None. But I did do 1 arm dumbbell rows, can't get past 22.5 lbs for one set, have to back down to 20lbs.

Diet

Breakfast: Pumpkin bread (+0)

Lunch: Coconut curry chicken noodle bowl (+0.33)

Dinner: Steak fajitas (+0.33)

3/14/2014

Push-ups: 8,8,8,8

Pull-ups: 4, 4, 4, 4 (chin ups)

Diet

Breakfast: protein smoothie with mango and banana (+0.33)

Lunch: half greek salad with half tuna sandwich (+0.33)

Dinner: leftover steak fajitas (+0.33)

This week has been snacky. After lunch, I just snack on nuts and tear into whatever I have in my desk. Luckily, what I have in my desk is like beef jerky, mixed nuts, etc. I've also been seriously slacking with keeping track of anything. Motivation is really low and I'm not seeing the results like I'd like to. I'm really trying to cut off the negative thinking before it sets in so I don't say, "why am I bothering? I'm not seeing results?" And then go eat like 4 cookies. I'm really frustrated because I don't feel like i'm getting stronger, particularly not in my upper body. My pushups are regular pushups, but they really aren't good depth. Ok stop. The issue is not that I'm not making progress. The issue is that I'm not making progress fast enough for me and that's totally unrealistic. A little about me: I've been "fat skinny" for my entire life. What this essentially means is that I have low bodyweight (155lbs) but probably pretty high body fat. So my body looks like it should be really capable but in reality it's as if I weighed 250. I've literally never picked up a weight for a consistent amount of time until this past January. And I'm expecting a ripped 6 pack in 3 months? C'mon, it's not realistic. So I just need to focus on the good things, focus on the fact that almost every week I make an improvement in some exercise. I need to get that fire again and start tearing up this challenge, we're almost halfway through!!

Sorry for the babbling, but it's what's going on in my head all day (and probably why I'm snacking down on everything).

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Starting Strength, soo Valuable!! The single most important piece of weigthlifting advice :)

How are you doing this challenge? From your update I mostly gather that you have a really complicated score keeping system. 

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a healthy body. It takes time, and the problem is that you see yourself every day (probably), which makes it really easy to overlook progress. I'd recommend taking some pictures and compare those side to side, there will be plenty of visible progress, don't worry. The important part is sticking to it! And I'm sure you ARE capable of doing so :)

Level 4 Human Ranger

Hi substix!

Starting Strength has been great. I feel like it's a perfect balance of really technical advice but it's still conversational. I read the part last night about how you need to stick out your chest during a press like you are showing off your boobs (literally, "boobs"). It's the easiest way to describe that tensing of the upper back. I'm excited to get into it, but I'm finishing this challenge first.

In terms of "how am I doing", I've got 17.95 points on my diet, which is 42%. If I keep eating this way, I'll be at 84% when I'm done, which is between my A and B. For the push-ups, I can do 4 sets of 8 push-ups, so I'm at least a C on that. The pull-ups is where I'm struggling the most (and I figured it would be this way). I did discover chin-ups last night and I can hold myself at the bar for 5 seconds and slowly lower, so that's helpful for doing negatives. I guess I do have a really complicated score system. Next time will be simpler. This is my first challenge, so I'm still learning!

One good thing is that my significant other works 2 week rotations, so he won't see me for 2 weeks. I consider him to be a mirror because I know I have some body distortion when I look in the mirror at myself, but he is honest about what he sees. I am kicking myself now because I didn't take pictures and that was stupid of me. Perhaps tonight I'll snap some progress shots. No time like the present to start.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

You should take pictures now.  You'll still see a different when the challenge is finished.

Pull ups suck.  Pull ups are like press’s for me, they don’t get easier quickly.  I only work on pull ups randomly.  My little brother used to have a pull up bar in his door and I wish he still had it.  This is an area I would like to work on as well.  You’ll get that pull up!

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 2 WIS: 2 CHA: 3

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wow. I have a lot of updating to do! Shit.

3/15/2013

Push-ups: None recorded

Pull-ups: None recorded

Diet: Breakfast +0.33, Lunch +0.33, Dinner +0.33

3/16/2013

Push-ups: None

Pull-ups: None

Diet: My stomach was jacked up today, so I ate weird.

3/17/2013

Push-ups: 4 sets of 9

Pull-ups: 4 sets of 5 chair assisted

Diet: Sunday was wack because I did Tour de Houston in the morning. So protein shake on the way out the door, energy bar during the race, trail mix after. Then I had the low electrolyte feeling so I went for salt at lunch. Dinner was good though, so that's at least 0.33

3/18/2013

Diet: +1 

3/19/2013 - My boyfriend came home!!

3/20/2013

Push-ups: 4 sets of 8, 9, 8, 6

Pull-ups: 3 sets of 10-sec flexed hangs (chin over bar) and then 1 set of 4 chair-assisted pull ups.

3/21/2013

Diet: This day was a diet fail. Breakfast was good. Lunch was falafel (fried), hummus, grape leaves. And of course baklava. Dinner was good - short ribs, rutabaga, carrots, broccoli.

3/22/2013 (so far)

Push-ups: MUST DO THEM

Pull-ups: MUST DO THEM

Diet: Breakfast (bagel and cream cheese) +0

Lunch: TBD

Dinner: TBD

I've obviously been slacking, but Monday is the halfway point. Time to get back on it!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

The rest of 3/22/2013

Push-ups: 8, 8, 8, 8

Pull-ups: 10-sec flexed arm hang, 5-sec flexed arm hang

Lunch: I think this was a salad from Jason's deli with turkey

Dinner: Date night! Cheese appetizer, salmon salad with feta, pecans, etc, and some kind of creme brulee-type dessert.

Everything except the bagel was good, so +0.66

3/23/2013

Push-ups: Nada

Pull-ups: Nada

Breakfast: No idea, didn't write it down

Lunch: Food truck festival! This was definitely off diet, but man those kim chi fries were good!

Dinner: No idea

+0

3/24/2013

Push-ups: 10, 10, 10, 10

Pull-ups: 6-sec hang, 3 sets of 5 chair assisted chin ups

Breakfast: Omelette with tomatoes, mushrooms, and bacon (+0.33)

Lunch: Chicken salad (+0.33)

Dinner: Spaghetti squash with meatballs and broccoli (+0.33)

3/25/2013

Breakfast: Granola with almond milk, strawberries, blueberries and a protein shake (+0.33)

Lunch: Spaghetti squash with meatballs (+0.33)

Dinner: "Man-made" baked fish, kim chi, cauliflower mash (+0.33)

3/26/2013

Breakfast: Granola with almond milk, strawberries, blueberries, and a protein shake (+0.33)

Lunch: More spaghetti and meatballs (+0,33)

Dinner: salmon sushi w/ brown rice, cabbage crunch (+0.33)

Today was a semi-organized sprint workout which kicked my butt! 400m, 200m, then 100m. Ugh.

3/27/2013

Push-ups: 2 sets of 10, 2 sets of 5 focusing on depth and going slow (during commercial breaks of Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - don't judge :P)

Breakfast: granola, almond milk, strawberries, blueberries, protein shake (+0.33)

Lunch: assorted sushi, miso soup (not going to count this because of low vegetable count)

Dinner: chicken taco soup (+0.33)

3/28/2013 (so far)

Push-ups: not yet

Pull-ups: not yet

Breakfast: granola, almond milk, protein shake, strawberries, blueberries (+0.33)

Lunch: chicken taco soup (planned)

Dinner: another date night, TBD

I slacked pretty good this past weekend, but rebounded well. This week has been pretty good in terms of eating, better in terms of push-ups. Not great on the pull-ups. Must do better!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines