UberTumbleweed's Challenge

UberTumbleweed

Be Stinky

Sweat daily.  Even if it's a "non-workout" day, sweat.  Clean vigorously, jog to the faraway bus stop, run stairs at the office, bird dog's till my skin cries.  Do something.  I've been average about 5 sweat-days per week, and I do know I'll feel better if I hit it every day.

This is super important to my mental health.  I suffer from anxiety and depression, and the rest of my health suffers greatly when I don't have those problems under control.  Medication helps me; the daily-sweat is one of the best ways for ME to help the meds.

A: average of 6.5+ sweats per week

B: average of 6 sweats per week

C: average 5 sweats per week

D: average of 4 sweats per week

F: average of 3 or lower sweats per week

2 Sta, 1 Wis

Outrun Stink

Half-marathon training!

1) Run 12k in 80 minutes: 50% of grade

2) Run 19k in one session: 50% of grade

Letter score based on percentages of distance achieved in the alloted time.

3 Sta, 2 Dex

Stink to Shrink

Lose 10 lbs.  I've let my weight creep back up since my knitting-and-beer fest in Portland last August. I have bad knees and bad ankles, and they do not need to support extra weight while I'm trying to run around and be awesome.

It's important to me to keep my muscles strong while losing weight.  I intend to have 2-3 weight training sessions a week.  I don't mind if I stop making gains for the course of this challenge, but I don't want to lose ground.

Letter score based on percentage of goal-weight lost.

1 Str, 3 Con, 1 Cha

House Unstinking

I am a natural Messy who lives with a genuine could-be-on-TV Hoarder (my mom).  Dad is a certified Neat Freak.  Is this a problem?  Why yes.  You cannot even imagine the stress unless you're living this, too.

1) Dedicate 60 min/week to decluttering and tidying [not including time used to take donations to drop-off centres]: 50% of grade

2) Work on the laundry mess for (average) 10 min/day: 50% of grade

Method: timers and gratuitous use of http://unfuckyourhabitat.tumblr.com/ and the fear of what could happen when it's time for the federally-mandated furnace inspection.

2 Wis

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

Starting Stats

5'4

177.6 lb

30.5 BMI

42.16% Body Fat (using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm)

Can run 11k in 82 minutes

I'd love to share house photos, but I'm at work (caregiving) non-stop until Thursday night/Friday morning.

Measurements

Waist: 40 in

Under/Over Bust: 34.5/42

Hips: 44.5

Thigh: 27.5

Upper Arm: 13

Ending measurements:

34/38

27/26.5

12.5/13

neck: 13

Daily Sweat: Jumping jacks, bird dogs, stair runs, leg raises, invisible jump rope, side & front planks.

3 Things to Help Myself (Mini-Challenge #1)

1) I'm making a chart for the laundry room door to check off the amount of time I spend on both laundry and tidying/decluttering.  The visual reminders will help me know exactly how much I need to do and how much I've already done, which motivates me to keep going.

2) I am also going to track body fat and inches, so even if my weight loss goal falls short, I still have proof of success.  It will still be very motivating to see success, regardless of what my scale says.

3) I will be standing and moving more often during the day at the office, especially lunch time.  My three "office days" are rarely work-out days, and moving there will help me get my Daily Sweat in.  It will also give me more energy for the afternoon.

Thanks for the input!  I didn't really talk about what needs to change in my diet much, because talking about it makes me obsess in a way that leaves me less happy, more stressed, and more prone to blowing it.  Talking about exercise always pumps me up to do more, but talking about food is sometimes okay and sometimes not.   

I come from a family full of disordered eating and am always battling the legacy it left in my head.

Fortunately, exercise doesn't increase what I eat much, if at all.  I just shift calories I would have eaten anyway to be taken in after the workout.  

I've already lost a lot of weight overall.  The problem is that I stopped making the effort and changed back to my old habits after a 1.5 years of doing really well.  I know what works for me, and I know exactly where I'm going wrong.  I just really need a kick-in-the-butt to put that knowledge into action, and that goal is the butt-kick.

I do, however, already have a great diet success story to attribute to making my goal.  The mom here handed me a giant bag of cookies -- like, three pounds of cookies -- and said, "You can eat all of these, but if you don't want them, please garburate them so my family doesn't eat them."

And all day long, I let those cookies sit on the counter, saying "Eat me, eat me."  And I am perfectly capable of eating all those cookies in one night.  And then... I put them all in the garburator after one small bite, because I remembered my goal and what it means to me.

Daily Sweat: Jumping jacks and playing "ball physio exercises" with the Dodecagon.  Just a tiny amount of sweat, but on not-workout days, that's what the goal is.

And I've decided my starting stats should be:

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 5 | CON: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

High stamina score decided by remembering the three weeks I spent walking in the Himalayas with my backpack on, which my avatar shall remind me of for the course of the challenge.

I love the idea of outrunning stink! Very motivating. 

I know exactly what you mean about obsessing over food and disordered eating. Its so easy to do. Like you I find it healthier to concentrate on exercise (which unconsciously makes me eat better as I hate undoing the good work) or making small changes like increasing my water or fruit intake. 

What kind of strength training are you doing?

Race: Hobbit (Everyone needs 2nd Breakfast)

Level 4

Class: Adventurer

Strength: 8.5 Dexterity: 4 Stamina: 16.5 Constitution: 14 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 4.5

Jo2926 - Stumbling back towards the light

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

Thanks, Athena!  My tendancy runs strongly towards carby and salty "comfort" food while knitting on the couch (leading to a horrifying wake up call five years ago of a blood pressure of 195/94 at age 24!)  I have finally found my happy middle ground, which is still a lot more processed and junking than a lot of NFers, but as long as I stick to it, it tends to get a bit healthier each month.  Now, to just DO it... There's the tough part!

Jo, I might be outrunning my stink, but I am just leaving it behind for everyone else! Poor them.  I'm a prodigious sweater, and I often fart while running (sorry, everyone around me!)

My strength training is mostly barbell stuff: squats, deadlifts, OH presses, bench, and hope for a pull-up someday.  I love squats the most, because I've progressed the most.  But signing up for a half-marathon means I've got to put more focus on cardio and having less weight hitting the road, so no big strength gains on the horizon for me until summer.

And you've reminded me to go get my orange, since I'm feeling peckish.

Day 3 Log

Daily Sweat: Done!  3 x 9 push-ups, some jumping jacks, some calf raises.  I did a few exercises from Mobility WOD today, spread around throughout the day.  If I'd done them all together, it would have been an additional sweat.  My left hip was achey as heck, and feels a lot better now.

Dodecagon, the disabled lady I'm caring for, refused to leave the house with me today, so I didn't get to go outside either.

Still no work on heavy weights, running, or house-stuff.  I'm at Dodecagon's until at least late on Thursday, if not sometime Friday.  I'll have a lot to do at home over the weekend, but I'm mentally preparing for it so that I'm ready to do the work.

I just ate a LOT of Nutella (on two blueberry bagels).  I feel kind of nauseated now.  I'm writing this down specifically so that I remember this feeling.

That's the problem with feelings, isn't it?  You can remember you felt bad, but you don't actually physically FEEL the bad while remembering.  So it's easy to think, "Oh, I felt bad after that choice, but it can't really have felt that awful in my stomach."

YES, IT DID FEEL THAT BAD.

Nutella is one of my restricted foods (because of nut allergies, it can't come into our home, so I eat it while doing overnight shifts in other people's homes!)  I don't do well with any strict "You can't eat this" rules.  It makes me obsess about the food, so that when I get my little hands on it, I gobble it down till I'm ill.  This is one reason I don't have food-specific goals in the challenge.  I haven't got my jerkbrain into a safe space for that yet, although it is one thing I'm working on.

This is why my "diet plan" is not a plan.  There is room for anything at anytime.  I work on moderation, but I'm not strict about it.  I work on being gentle with myself and forgiving myself for my bad choices.

I'm not mad at myself for the Nutella gorge, but please, Tumbleweed: remember how this feels the next time you'd like to gorge.  Being kind to yourself means no restrictions, but making good choices is equally as kind.

Great idea to write down how you feel, but equally important not to get mad at yourself, and to carry on. 

A little nutella would be much more enjoyable for you - all the taste and enjoyment without the after feeling. 

Good job on the daily sweat (and as for leaving it for others, well they'll just have to run too!)

Level 4

Strength: 8.5 Dexterity: 4 Stamina: 16.5 Constitution: 14 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 4.5

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

Day 4:

Daily Sweat during some ab work: leg lifts, side & front planks for 30 seconds.  Finally got home from an epic 84-hour shift.  Slept like the dead!

Day 5:

I craved a giant milkshake from McDonalds today, after a very very stressful vet trip.  (Gaib is home now with many pills, special food, and an entire digestive system full of poop that needs to get out still.)  I remembered my Nutella-feels from yesterday and decided I didn't really want it: I just wanted to be less sad, and there are better ways to feel less sad.  So I didn't get the milkshake.  That choice made me feel less sad.

House Unstinking:  50 minutes on the laundry!  That means I'm caught up completely from my week away from home.  Back to 10 min/day.  I'll do 30 min uncluttering tomorrow and 30 minutes Sunday.

Daily Sweat: Workout day!

20 minutes warm-up on elliptical.  Took me that long to get my warmed-up heart rate!  Somehow doing little for a week gave me a great cardio boost. 

Pull-Up

1 x 3, 2 x 2 @ 40 lbs assist; 1 x 8 @ 70 lb assist

I got half-way up a 3rd rep on the second and third sets.  Next week, I'm going down to 36 lb assist.

Lunges

1 x 6, 3 x 9 @ 30 lb

Back Extension

4 x 9

OH Press

1 x 9, 1 x 8, 2 x 5 @ 55 lb

A relief after last week's epic fail on the press!

84 hour shift?????  WOW!  What do you do?

Nice job on resisting the milkshake - and sorry to hear about the trip to the vets. Hope Gaib is feeling better soon. 

Level 4

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

Day 6:

The doggeh is home and having his poop and pee strictly monitored. His tongue is back to normal colour.

Sweat: A run. 8.6 km in 69 minutes. It was really hard to keep going, because my heart rate was quite high. Too little sleep and too much stress.

Day 7:

Sweat: Weights and walk/run intervals (20 min walk, 7 sets of [12.0 kph, 6.3 kph], 5 min cooldown = 47 min total)

Squat:

1 x 6 @ 90 lb, 3 x 6 @ 95 lb

Bench:

1 x 6 @ 70 lb, 3 x 6 @ 75 lb

Deadlift:

1 x 6 @ 90 lb, 1 x 6 @ 100 lb, 2 x 6 @ 115 lb

Run:

I was really proud of how the run went. My heart rate hit some really high highs (~175-180) and very quickly dropped back to ~135 once I started walking again. (A true relief after yesterday's high highs and slow recoveries without much more.)

I had Tim Hortons this morning for breakfast (baaaad choice) and three-quarters of a pie tonight. I've asked my mom to please not buy junk food just for me. I never eat the junk she buys for herself or the family in general, but when she brings home something and says, "I got this just for you!" I always eat it. Alas, she won't stop doing it, and I haven't hit on how to refuse without causing a fight (after which I comfort eat) or getting my jerkbrain angry about food in general (after which I [usually] comfort eat).

I have a really hard time letting food go to waste, because there wasn't always enough food to keep me going in elementary. This mindset was great then. Not so great now that I've always got access to food.

84 hour shift?????  WOW!  What do you do?

Nice job on resisting the milkshake - and sorry to hear about the trip to the vets. Hope Gaib is feeling better soon. 

I was doing in-home caregiving for a disabled lady.  I can technically sleep overnight, but I don't sleep long or well.  Because her meds cause her to nap often throughout the day, she's up most of the night.  I don't do it often enough to assess what's a normal noise and what could be trouble without waking all the way up.  I'm back to my 3-day a week office job tomorrow, though!

Gaib is feeling much better, although still worryingly uninterested in drinking anything. :\

Week One Review

Daily Sweat
I sweat each of the first seven days! Full points this week.

Unstink the House
70 minutes of laundry work. Full points!

45 minutes of UFYH-style cleaning of my space.  B-grade.  However, because I did spend so much time this week away from home, I'm giving myself the chance to make it up next week in addition to week two's required cleaning.

I decided that I'm too embarrassed to show photos of the house in its current state.  The cleaning goal is because we have a legally-mandated furnace inspection that we need to book.  And if there isn't a drastic change in the State of the Mess, we risk having the fire marshall called in.  (When I said "hoarder", I wasn't using it in a colloquial funny way.  I really mean it in a mental health way.)

Shrinking
174.0 pounds.  Down 3.6 this week.  Goodbye, water weight!  Now the real slog begins and with it, a lot of mental work on my relationship with food.

Running

Yeah, I did some of that.  Saturday's "long run" felt like an epic failure while I was doing it. Today's sprints felt amazing.  I'm calling Saturday a simple off-day.  12.0 kph is the faster I've ever run for more than 20 seconds, and today I did it for nearly 5 full minutes.  ;Clearly I'm still awesome, and I'm going to remember that.</p>

Overall, an A week!

Thanks the encouragement!  Pictures are something of a "thing" on the UFYH blog and I'd hoped to replicate it for proof/motivation.  I'd still like to do it, just not right now.  Maybe next challenge!  (There's a dozen more rooms and the garage and the shed.  I can't change my mom, but I can dig into the various spots my things have been stuffed, and hopefully inspire and help her.)

You could try telling your mum about how much you *love* a certain healthy food. I did this with my mum who loves to buy treats whenever I go home for me and my husband. Usually some kind of cake. So I told her I was slightly addicted to fruit smoothies, but couldn't afford to buy them for myself all the time.   Without fail the fridge had a different one in every day we were there last time - and we were both very happy with no hurt feelings. 

Great week you had! Even saturday's run. Don't be too harsh on yourself. The main thing is you did it. Glad your confidence was back up with today's sprints though. Well done!

Level 4

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

Day 8

Daily Sweat: Check!  I had to run to catch the bus this morning.  I still missed it, so I walked an extra 500 metres to a much further stop, for a total of 1.2 km.

The House: 10 minutes of cleaning/tidying, 5 minutes laundry.

You could try telling your mum about how much you *love* a certain healthy food. I did this with my mum who loves to buy treats whenever I go home for me and my husband. [...]

Great week you had! Even saturday's run. Don't be too harsh on yourself. The main thing is you did it. Glad your confidence was back up with today's sprints though. Well done!

I sure wish that worked with my mom! I've tried asking for things I both enjoy and is good for me, but it goes nowhere. It's like a sabotage attempt: it gets worse as her weight loss goes better. I try not to hold it against her -- she has a lot of food problems herself -- but it sure is rough on the stomach some days!

Daily Sweat & Half-Marathon

Forgot my towel, since I'm still adjusting to the removal of facecloths from the gym...  So it was a very very wet sweat today.  

15 minutes of intervals: 1 min 6.3 kph, 1 min 10.2 kph.

Then a solid cool down, then 8 minutes walking backwards on the treadmill, and another cool down before foam rolling and stretching.   I really feel the backward walking in everything keeping my knees stable, so I try to do it for a few minutes every week.  My mom, in a fit of being unusually accepting of my goals, told me about physio rehab backwards walking on the news and thought it might be good for my knee troubles.  I figured the worst that could happen was feeling dumb, so I went for it!  I do really like it.

Daily Diet

After the sweat, I went to my favourite beer joint for some quality pints and yummy lunch.  No regrets: everything was delicious.  And the staff there always cheers me up just by being awesome people.  Perfect day.

I had less supper than planned because I dropped my bowl of stew all over the couch and blanket.  The dog was happy.  I was full after eating what was left in the bowl, so no harm done by the drop, except for an extra load of laundry.

Sorry about the stew, but glad you had well deserved fun at the beer joint. I checked out ufyh...i can see how taking pictures could be motivating. I have a brother that's a bonafide hoarder. He bought a new home with his wife and kids in 2004,but kept the other one full of stuff. He was supposed to change his ways, but he filled up the basement and garage in the new home too....his wife left him 4yrs ago. His sons now live in the first house and have gotten rid of almost everything. It bugs my brother, but he's been over there painting the rooms. The house is getting transformed. And hopefully, he's learning something and will at least try to improve...we always call him first when we want or need some obscure thing--lol...he usually has it. And he know where most of the stuff is. He packs it up in an orderly fashion. Keep up the good work!

Sara

Sorry about the stew, but glad you had well deserved fun at the beer joint. I checked out ufyh...i can see how taking pictures could be motivating. I have a brother that's a bonafide hoarder. He bought a new home with his wife and kids in 2004,but kept the other one full of stuff. He was supposed to change his ways, but he filled up the basement and garage in the new home too....his wife left him 4yrs ago. His sons now live in the first house and have gotten rid of almost everything. It bugs my brother, but he's been over there painting the rooms. The house is getting transformed. And hopefully, he's learning something and will at least try to improve...we always call him first when we want or need some obscure thing--lol...he usually has it. And he know where most of the stuff is. He packs it up in an orderly fashion. Keep up the good work!

Sara

Trying to share livable living space with a hoarder is hard.  If my dad didn't work away from home 2/3rds of the time, I don't think they'd still be married.  Mom's hoard is just a clutter jumble.  I call what I'm doing "excavating", like I'm on an archaeological dig, to make it more fun.  (I'm half-expecting to find evidence of ancient alien astronauts at the bottom of the pile.)

Day 10 (the yesterday day)

Daily Sweat was some body weight work in my office when I couldn't concentrate, plus some catch-the-bus jogging and an 800m walk with my constipated dog, Gaib.

Tycho, who is apparently stressed by his brother's problems, is now refusing to eat more than half his meals.  Gaib spent most of the evening panting pathetically and seeming in pain, so I sat on the couch and held him instead of housework.  Priorities, really.

Geez dogs, did you miss the memo that March was supposed to be less stressful than February?!

I brush my teeth shirtless, because when I dribble whitening toothpaste, it bleaches my shirt.

Last month, I started telling myself that I'm awesome/strong/look good/etc when I see my shirtless self in the mirror.  It was very awkward at first.  Now it's natural and honest.  The body is still the same, but my brain is different.  I really believe it now and I enjoy my body show much more.

Day 11:

Sweat: I helped carry around and hang two fire doors at the office.  Heavy stuff!  It felt that that I've finally convinced the maintenance man that I can, in fact, pick things up.  They used to insist I couldn't even carry the 18L water bottles!

I did some foot drills during a slow time at work.  5 x 5.5 m of each drill.  I felt them all through my legs.  I've got weak ankles, so if these are working muscles I normally ignore, I think I'll keep doing them.

THEN I tried pistol squats.  On my right, I can get down to almost parallel and then wobble back up.  With my left leg, I can get down to about 45 degrees before wobbling up.  HOLY HECK.  I never believed I would be able to do a pistol squat.  And now it looks reasonable in the near future!

In October, I couldn't squat below 45 degrees with no weight.  And now look at me!

Sorry but I'm laughing at the stew thing! It happens to me all the time, but at least you made your doggie happy!

Very impressed with the pistol squats - legs of steel!! I've tried them a few times with support from a TRX and even then they are so difficult. YAY YOU! 

Level 4

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

Sorry but I'm laughing at the stew thing! It happens to me all the time, but at least you made your doggie happy!

Very impressed with the pistol squats - legs of steel!! I've tried them a few times with support from a TRX and even then they are so difficult. YAY YOU! 

There really truly aren't words for HOW happy he was!  I laugh at that sort of stuff, too.  If I can't laugh at myself, who can I laugh at?  (I just have to remind myself, constantly, the consequences are rarely as dire as my jerkbrain assumes at first.)

And thanks!  I think proper pistol squats might be a goal for sometime in the future -- maybe even this year!

Day 12 (Friday)

Sweating Workout:

Pull-ups:

3 x 1 @ 34 lb assist  

I could barely eek out those single reps.  I was really surprised how hard it was.  If I could have observed my body from outside, I'm not even sure I'd count two of them as real pull-ups.  It's okay!  Next Friday will be another chance.

Squats

1 x 6 @ 90 lb

1 x 3 @ 90 lb

At that last rep, a muscle in my groin cramped and started spasming BADLY. I got stuck at the bottom of the squat for over 30 seconds (it felt like forever).  I finally got back up and walked away from the cage.  I did a couple TRX rows, then a bunch of foam rolling and gentle stretching.

Finally, I took myself to the locker room, wrapped a smallish towel around myself and soaked/stretched in the hot tub and steam room.  It felt good.  It felt extra-good because of the lack of body shame I had right then.  I normally would never hit the hot tub without my bathing suit.

Day 13 (Saturday)

RUN:

12 km in 85:50 min.  

I'm sure I could knock at least two minutes off by skipping some walking intervals I have in.  That's a stamina thing, and it's coming.  Then just a slight speed increase throughout, and I'm good.  I'm somewhat concerned about my other running goal, however.  19 k looked a lot more reasonable before I spent a week doing almost no running.

Day 14

Workout:

Squats:

1 x 5 @ 90

1 x 4 @ 110

1 x 3 @ 115

1 x 3 @ 120

Tried for 125 twice; both failures.  I got up, but with such bad form they don't count.

Bench Press

1 x 6 @ 75 lb

1 x 4 @ 80 lb

1 x 1 @ 90 lb (max)

1 x 6 @ 80 lb (max)

Found my one-rep max -- by accident and unspotted.  Tried for a second rep, but only got it half up.  Pushed as hard as I could and got it up onto the lower pins. Just.

Deadlift

1 x 5 @ 90

1 x 4 @ 110

1 x 5 @ 120

1 x 3 @ 130 (max)

Waiter Carry

2 x 55 m @ 20 lb

3 x 55 m @ 30 lb