UberTumbleweed's Challenge

UberTumbleweed

WEEK TWO

Be Stinky: I did it!  It seemed easy this week, somehow.  Why did I ever stop it?  I'll definitely keep at it once the challenge is over.

Outrun Stink: I can see progress here.  I'm facing a hard slog to get to my goals, but they're not impossible.

Unstink the House:  70 minutes laundry, 60 minutes general housework.  A for this week, and (so far) the B grade for last week stays.

Stinky Shrinking: 175.4 pounds.  Which is un-shrinking.  But I know why.  It goes: McDonalds, beer, McDonalds, McDonalds, pizza, pizza, beer.  A bad choice for each day of the week!

Tumbleweed, this is not the way we do it.  It's okay to be scared, because change is scary.  But life is change; life is scary.  That doesn't mean you get to run away from it and do the same old things over and over -- not if you really want to be happy.  You need to do things to be happy, and that means change.

You can love your body and want to change it at the same time.  Changing your body to healthier is an expression of love.  You know for a fact that your menstrual cycle brings unbearable pain at higher fat-levels.  You know that running is easier on your knees and ankles when there's less force behind each strike.

And you know that you love running.  The power and freedom behind the movements.  Let yourself make changes for what you love.

And stop sabotaging yourself.  There's a whole world's worth of people who are content sabotaging you for what reason.  You don't need to be one of them.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

WAIT, WHAT??

I just noticed that I set FOUR PRs yesterday.  FOUR.  One in each exercise.  The squats at 120; the bench at 90; the DL at 130; the carries at 30.

I knew the DL and the bench, but the other two surprised me.  That's the benefit of keeping a record!  I wouldn't have realized.

So I am definitely meeting my ideal of keeping strength up while losing weight.  Even if the weight loss hasn't been as great as I hoped.

I am really super looking forward to doing my measurements.  Not sure if I should do them twice — week 3 and t6 — or just the once at the end of the challenge.

Nice week! (other than the food choices obviously but you know that, and you know what needs to be done so I won't repeat what you've already said).

But you SET FOUR PRs!!!  Thats EPIC. You rock. 

I'd do the measurements half way through personally. If its good it will be really motivational, and if its not so good it will make you focus on the second half of the challenge even more. Just be realistic about what good is!

Well done on week 2 - week 3 I'm sure will be even more epic.

Race: Hobbit (Everyone needs 2nd Breakfast)

Level 4

Class: Adventurer

Strength: 8.5 Dexterity: 4 Stamina: 16.5 Constitution: 14 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 4.5

Jo2926 - Stumbling back towards the light

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

Nice week! (other than the food choices obviously but you know that, and you know what needs to be done so I won't repeat what you've already said).

But you SET FOUR PRs!!!  Thats EPIC. You rock. 

I'd do the measurements half way through personally. If its good it will be really motivational, and if its not so good it will make you focus on the second half of the challenge even more. Just be realistic about what good is!

Well done on week 2 - week 3 I'm sure will be even more epic.

Thanks!! Epic is the goal!  And I think you're right about the measurements.  Till next Sunday, tape measure!

DAY 15 (somewhere my counting got off; I haven't skipped a day!)

Sweat: 3 x 12 star jumps, while filling buckets to haul across the office.  Also, running the dogs around, running up stairs with a full watering can, and scrubbing a toilet and bathroom floor.  The glamourous life of a non-profit office jockey!  "Programme Co-ordinator", my butt.

Mini-challenge: 30 seconds each on the Hollow Body and Superman holds, then 60 seconds on the Superman and another 30 on the Hollow Body. WHEE!  In week one, I was doing 30 seconds of the plank. Feeling good!

Laundry: 15 minutes.  Look at me, not leaving it till the end!

Housework: 10 minutes. Grinding away...

Shrinking:  I went "shopping" at work today.  We volunteer to run a food bank distro centre, and always -- ALWAYS -- someone doesn't show.  We send back the non-perishables, but the food bank tells us to give the perishables to staff.  I.e., me, because I like the veggies the most.  I got some greek yogourt, eggplant, green peppers, mandarin oranges, wheat bread, cream cheese, and baby purple potatoes.

I used to feel guilty about this.  It is not easy to get onto the food bank list, and when you skip a scheduled pick-up, you get kicked off for several months.  We try SO HARD to make our site easy to get to.  We even stay open longer hours and have multiple phone numbers for directions.  But still people can't make it.  I know some of them are having to choose between keeping a job and getting decent food.  So I felt bad.

Now I just make sure to bring a shopping bag each Monday!

Day 16

I LOST 14 POUNDS IN JUST ONE DAY! You can do it too! NO GIMMICKS! Would you like to know more?

It was magical.

I put 14 pounds of Stuff I Don't Need into boxes and sent it off to Goodwill. Mostly clothes. I sense a floor in the laundry room coming up soon.

Sweat & Run Training:
27 seconds each of Hollow Body and Superman before leaving the house.

6 k in 42:30 (treadmill run)

50 seconds each of Hollow Body & Superman for the mini-challenge

The House:
Nada, so far. Maybe nothing today. (Remember, time for taking stuff to donate doesn't count!)

I battled the Bedbug Battalion at a friend's house today. She doesn't have bedbugs in her unit, but some units do. She's disabled and can only do so much lifting/moving, so I went over to pull stuff away from walls and help pack up laundry. I did some vacuuming, dusting, and sorting of yarn as well. Her unit will be preventatively sprayed tomorrow morning.

She paid me for my help with homemade pickled carrots and canned unsweetened rhubarb. It took less than 4 hours of work. I'm pretty sure I got the better end of this deal! Homemade pickles!

Anyway, because it was a fair chunk of time, I don't feel much like doing any of the work here at MY house. Not today, anyway.

ETA: I did 20 minutes in the laundry room!  Visible floor has been achieved!  Nothing left touching the furnace (wooooooo!!!) and only a bit left around the water heater.  Still got quite the pile-up around the gas metre, though.

LMAO! I did panic when I started to read - I thought you had some horrific bug or something. But YAY. Well done on the clear out, thats an awful lot of stuff, and seeing the laundry room floor seems to be a fitting reward!

Level 4

Strength: 8.5 Dexterity: 4 Stamina: 16.5 Constitution: 14 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 4.5

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

LMAO! I did panic when I started to read - I thought you had some horrific bug or something. But YAY. Well done on the clear out, thats an awful lot of stuff, and seeing the laundry room floor seems to be a fitting reward!

Deception: achievement unlocked!  I don't even want to imagine how sick I'd be to lose that much so quickly.  Ewww.  And thank you! I DO see laundry room floor now!  It feels fantastic!  Thank you so much for the encouragement: my mom doesn't appreciate it, and my dad, being naturally tidy, doesn't understand it at all.  It helps to hear positivity about it from here.

Change Is Scary

But what am I afraid of? Am I afraid of failing? Yes. Because if I'm a failure, how can I love myself.

That's false. I am a success in other ways. Even when I fail, I am a success for trying. Even if I weren't, I'm worthy of my own love anyway. I am worthy of loving myself because I exist. That's enough.

Last night, it really hit me, in a deep understanding way, that the difference between Week 1 and Week 2 was the lack of fast food. So I looked up what my thrice-weekly breakfast costs me, in terms of my health.

It was a scary number. That number was something to be afraid of.

I still bought breakfast today.  But I bought half as much as normal.  Right now, I'm not scared (and I'm not even hungry!)  My fears of this change were false.  My fears were false fears.  I do not need to be scared.

I read a great post on a blog, one that I found only because of Loren Wade's challenge to himself to live minimally.  It inspired me to think about what scared me about change and how to conquer it.  The whole series of posts is worth reading, but here is an excerpt from the one that affected me so much.

Source: The Minimalists

...ask yourself an important basic question: What are you afraid of? And while such a question might seem totally banal and obvious on the
surface, it's actually a great question to ask yourself when you are faced with making difficult decisions (or making any decision at all for that matter).

Go on, give it a try

You don't want to say "no" to that person? Why, what are you afraid of?

You don't want to write the novel that you've always dreamed of writing? Why, what are you afraid of?

You don't want to learn to play that instrument that you've always wanted to play? Why, what are you afraid of?

You don't want to exercise and eat healthy foods? Why, what are you afraid of?

You don't want to quit the job that you hate to pursue your passion? Why, what are you afraid of?

You don't want to [fill in the blank]? Why, what are you afraid of?

The answer to this question is always a ridiculous answer. Are you afraid that people won't like you anymore? That they won't love you? Or that they might make fun of you? Chances are that you have manufactured these false fears, and it's these false fears that keep you from doing what you want to do.

(bold emphasis mine; italic emphasis original)

Daily Sweat: 100 squats.  Yup, that's right.  And there was shockingly little sweat, although I did feel my heart rate going up-up-up.  It was hard work.

(20 squats, 1 min rest, 20 squats, 2 min rest, 10 squats, 1 min rest) x 2

I also got my pull-up bar up.  I couldn't do any pull-ups at all.  But I hung off it for up to 15 seconds.

I also did the Mini-Challenge today: 50 seconds on each the Hollow Body and Superman holds x 2.

Good day.

Thats a fabulous realisation. I really enjoyed reading it. 

Hope it helps to carry you through to the end of the challenge on a wave of success. 

Level 4

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

On Thursday, I sweat:

Jogging to the bus stop

Circuits ( 9 push-ups, 15 m of each foot drill -- repeat three times )

60 SECONDS of hollow body and superman -- hello PR!!

Shoveling

Friday, I skipped the gym, because buses suck. I shovelled again, because we had over 30 cm/1 ft snow over the last 24 hours. It was -20 with windchill. Happy spring, everyone!

I'm doing an hour on the elliptical in the basement while catching up on NF on my brother's iPad. Should be about a 600 calorie burn. An okay substitute for the gym. My night will be free for charity knitting while watching PBS documentaries on civil rights.

I have nerdy Friday nights.

Saturday:

Saw a 172.6 on the scale, which puts me back on track.

Ran 14 k in 1:47:00 (there was an untimed bathroom break after kilometre 2). It was so hard. My cardio is not back to where it should be.

Then I went drinking. My favourite bar had a "tap takeover" with 12 beers from Dieu Du Ciel. I drank a lot and knit a little, but mostly I read ("Wolf Speaker" by Tamora Pierce).

Then nap, then the Australian GP, then bed.

Sunday:

Re-fight the bedbugs! My friend's complex is not yet a safe zone. They are spraying every unit for a third time in 2.5 weeks tomorrow morning. So we re-bagged everything, after checking for bugs (none yet!) and moved all the furniture (again). We vacuumed and pawed through all the dust in the bag (no bugs there). And I helped her lug out a ton of garbage, because when you're facing a possible bedbug infestation in the middle of winter, all that "important" stuff you needed starts looking like a hassle.

Then: GYM.

Squats:

1 x 3 @ 40lb

3 x 3 @ 110 lb

1 x 3 @ 120 lb

1 x 2 @ 125 lb [PR!]

1 x 6 @ 90 lb (maxed out)

OH Press

1 x 3 @ 50 lb

1 x 3 @ 55 lb

FSM, I am starting to hate this lift.

Deadlift

3 x 3 @ 130

1 x 3 @ 135 [PR!]

Bench Press

1 x 3 @ 80 lb

1 x 3 @ 85 lb

1 x 2 @ 90 lb

1 x 6 @ 70 lb

Then, liver. Nom nom, liver. Nom. With brussel sprouts and baby potatoes. Did I mention liver? I love liver.

WEEK THREE UPDATE

It's been an uphill battle, let me tell you.  A lot of emotional stuff regarding food has gone on in my head this week.  I try to project the positive stuff outwards, because I know that makes me feel more positive inside.  But it's not all been easy or good.  I have a giant backpack of Issues and unpacking the food ones has not been easy.

21.1 K Training: They've changed the date of the half!  My race buddy can't participate in the new date.  We might pick another date, but I'm seriously bummed.  ...  Although I just got a Ravelry message saying we're good to go on that date?  Literally got it as I was typing this.*

In any case, the running this week was good, but hard.  My long-form cardio isn't where it was, and I'll need that for the race.  I've got months left to work on it, but it's going to be a tough three weeks to get my goal-markers in distance and speed for the Challenge.

House: 20 minutes housework; 35 minutes laundry.  42%.  OUCH.  How did the whole damn week slip by like that?  Seriously, I don't even know.  I actually suspect I burned out from 8+ hours helping my friend in her bedbug war, an idea I just came up with.  I think it could be true.  In that case, taking the loss here is not such a bad thing.  I can miss out on my full Wisdom points to help a friend.  There are things more important than personal success.

My Body: Body issues galore!  I am 10 days late for my period.  I am bloated, miserable, often in pain, craving salt, having moments of severe feverish-feels, and weakness.  Basically, it feels like the first day of my period, but for 10 days.  No blood.  If I weren't using the No Penis birth control method, I'd be peeing on a stick by now.

The menstrual issues means I don't want to check my measurements this week.  Despite a five-pound weight loss, my jeans are actually tighter than before around my waist.  So I'll be in for a surprise at the end of the challenge when I measure-in again!

I did have some great successes this week.  Twice, when I was cranky, I thought, "I'm going to Tim Hortons to gorge myself and read."  This is a big comfort thing I've done for many many years.  Both times, I exercised instead (Friday: elliptical, Sunday: gym).  And magically** I felt better!  Afterwards, I ate a healthy supper and felt genuinely positive about life.

I also did 100 squats in just over 10 minutes, which is astounding.  All below-parallel.  Please remember that in October, I couldn't do one below parallel without holding onto something!  Then I hit two PRs on the weights, including squats.  And the hollow body holds!  I only started doing planks at the start of this challenge, so to do a minute of hollow body makes me feel all warm and fuzzy with pride.

* This perfectly shows the up-and-down nature of this week.

** Not really magic.  I gave myself the feel-good chemicals my brain was craving through non-food means.  I don't necessarily think comfort eating is a bad thing, but it isn't good to have it as your only response.

This sounds like a really good week to me - did your running, lost a bit of ground on the house because you're an awesome friend, and exercised some serious self-control to not use food as a comfort mechanism. And that with your uterus totally undermining you - I know my period totally screws with my self-image, so having that feeling for ten days sounds horrible, and you're resisting it anyway! Plus, the squats are amazing and hollow holds, too! Keep thinking about those PRs and don't freak out too much about the measurements. 

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Monday:

I didn't sweat, unless you count the sweat from feverish crampy feelings.  I put on my brightest, whitest undies, and STILL my uterus defied me.

I didn't do any housework, exercising, or laundry.  I grumped a lot and ate too much.

Tuesday:

I planned a run, but I skipped it.  As I was packing up for the gym, I emotionally just didn't want to go.  I just really really really didn't want to.  As I left the house anyway, I noticed I was very unbalanced.  My bad hip swells on the first day of my period, and it was swollen today, making me walk differently and causing some pain down to my knee and ankle.  Possibly why my brain was so insistent I skip the gym!

I went to a neat little diner.  It was just on the border between fancy-downtown and the-hood-downtown.  It was clean, bright, funky, good prices, quick service, and big servings.  It was also homeless-friendly.  It was a real social justice in action kind of place.  Everyone was welcomed in and the regulars were super friendly.  At one point, a homeless man who was possibly drunk, disabled, or both, fell off his stool and hit the floor.  People jumped up to help him back to his feet, and then continued on like "stuff happens, oh well" -- no judgement.

This place just made me feel better about the world.  The man working showed no special pride in how he treated people, like he wasn't doing anything special in how he treated people.  But he was doing something special, and I was proud of him for it.  Definitely the sort of local business I'll keep supporting!

Also, all their coffee mugs were Avengers ones.

Then I went to the library and paid off my fines from 2009 (oops).

At home, I did 10 minutes of laundry and 20 minutes of housework.

I did sweat on Tuesday!  I did an hour on the elliptical in the basement.  I felt a little unstable at times even on that, so skipping running and/or lifting was definitely my best choice.

Despite the swollen hip period-signal, my uterus still defies me.  I am 90% ginger and parsley tea at this point.

Awesome story. Glad you figured out what's best for you also. Hope the period/uterus/ginger/parsley thing clears up soon. :)

Thanks!  I'm hoping so too.

Wednesday

I stress-cracked around 2pm, and ate two doughnuts and drank a double-double.  By the time I was heading home at 5:15, I was craving pizza hard as part of my sugar crash.  Then I got home and found our my hoarder went shopping.  She brought in more than I took out last week.  Hormones + sugar crash + dismay = crying jag and temper tantrum.

Then I made a healthy supper (liver, brussel sprouts, baby potatoes).  I ate and felt better.

UNTIL.  I discovered my brother has pinworms (again).  He's a disabled adult (mentally and physically) and doesn't really get the whole hand-washing thing anymore than a toddler.  He goes to a day program with lots of people who have similar problems.  So now we ALL have to act like we have pinworms, because the eggs are so easy to spread.

I did 30 minutes of housecleaning and 20 minutes of laundry, which included clearing all bed linens, collecting up stuffies, vacuuming mattresses and pillows, and ensuring all PJs/undies/ect were in the hot-water pile for laundry.

I sweat with some housecleaning and ice-chopping outside.

Today, Thursday, is rather snowy.  There's been a 60-car pileup, in addition to numerous smaller pileups, and we're not being let out of work early.  Not unless the weather "starts to get bad later on".

Hey, Uber!  It sounds like you have more than a plateful with all the things that are going on in your world....but you also sound like an amazing person.  When I look at the people you've chosen to surround yourself with, and the way you selflessly give of your time, support, and affection, well...yeah.  Amazing.

I know things look darkish right now, but there are better days to come.  Promise.  In the mean time, deep breath and keep on trudging, one step at a time.

HUGS!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Hey, Uber!  It sounds like you have more than a plateful with all the things that are going on in your world....but you also sound like an amazing person.  When I look at the people you've chosen to surround yourself with, and the way you selflessly give of your time, support, and affection, well...yeah.  Amazing.

I know things look darkish right now, but there are better days to come.  Promise.  In the mean time, deep breath and keep on trudging, one step at a time.

HUGS!

HUGS!  Thank you so much, Hira!  This means a lot to hear said.  I'm working on a tendency to diminish my own achievements -- thanks for keeping me real.  Emotionally, I'm in a much better place today.

You're doing great. Especially considering how much you care and do for other people. So yeah, keep on keepin on and you'll get to that better place!

Sara

Thanks Sara!  I'm keepin' on, and today is a better spot.

Thursday:

I did 5 minutes of laundry, and I sweat with shovelling 28 cm of snow + an easy hour on the elliptical while watching Ripper Street.  Did some hip/hamstring stretches recommended by my massage therapist afterwards.  Mostly, I focused on feeling better.

Mom wanted pizza, and I decided: I love pizza and after a rough week, pizza and a bad TV movie would be perfect.  It was the most delicious pizza I can remember, because it's been so long since I had this time.  It was very well enjoyed!

Friday:

I GOT MY PERIOD! Then I got hit by a car.  You win some; you lose some.

Okay, so, it wasn't a bad hit.  Someone backed into me in the parking lot, after we made repeated eye contact and I made no signs of slowing down to let her go first.  Given that I was in a marked walking area, I thought I'd done enough.  But when I was right in the middle of her car, she revved loud and fast into reverse and BOING.  The rhinestoned spare wheel cover of her SUV smacked into my side.  It was roughly the force of someone shouldering you aside in the sidewalk, so I didn't fall or end up bruised.  Just shaken.

I was on my way to buy lunch for my knitting group, so when I got back, I put it on the table and said, "Many Bothans almost died to bring you this sushi."  No one got it, and then I had to explain I'd gotten hit by a car.

Sweat: A morning shovel (for the snow that fell after last night's shovelling), then gym.

Squat

5 x 5 @ 90 lb

I really focused on getting boobs-to-thighs, which is a more accurate description of my bottom position than ass-to-ankles is.  Kept it at 70% max as I've got a "as long as I can while feeling good" run scheduled for tomorrow.

Pull-down

5 x 5 @ 100 lb

Back Extension + Waiter Carry (superset)

9 ext + 55 m @ 30 lb (each arm) x 5

My grip is getting better on the carries.  My wrists are fighting me much less, too!  Part of it was the increased rest time, but I'm certain part of it is an honest strength gain in my weakest areas!

I pretty much died laughing.

Numbers looking good too. How was the run today?

I aim for laughter!

The run was pretty fantastic, considering the fatigue I experience during lady time.  One of my best lady-time runs, really.  thanks!

Saturday:

Things are pretty good.  10 minutes housekeeping.

Sweat:  8.25 km run in 63 minutes; additional 3.75 km walking with occasional jogging.

Sunday:

• I wake up with horrendous pain radiating from my abdomen up to my shoulders and down as far as my knees.  I am out of T4s.  222s do nothing. Yay femaleness!
  • Vettel ruins Mark Webber's race in a seriously assfedora way, causing me to need to rethink my fangirling. (Go F1!)
  • I am forced to do the roll of shame when I fail a lift.  People clapped.  I sketched a mocking curtsey, walked to the locker room with dignity, and then cried in the toilet.
  • GOT MY FOOT RUN OVER BY MY OWN MOTHER. She got my dad's car, which she isn't supposed to be driving, stuck in a snowbank.  I got her out, but not before she randomly reversed and turned, when she was meant to be going forward and straight.
  • Ate two ice creams and a doughnut.  Distracted from uterus-pain by severe sugar headache.
  • DID I MENTION I got hit by a car twice in the same weekend?

I am so very done in.  My anxiety and sensory disorder are both way overstimulated.  Ever since the death in our friend-family that might have been murder, I've had to work extra hard to keep functioning.  The pain right now is an extra hurdle I can't entirely overcome.  Things I'd laugh at normally are making me bawl or shut down.

I'm going to feel better, but today is not that day.  Today is for letting the stress come out so that I have a better platform to build tomorrow on.

ETA: My foot is fine, some slightly bruised toes but that's it.  I was wearing steel-toed boots and she just went over my toes.

WEEK FOUR:

21.1 K Training:  8.25 km run; 2 brief walking breaks (~60 seconds each).  Done at my goal race pace!  That's over a third of the way there in 1 month with 4 months left to go.

This is really a "Can I do it or can't I do it" set of goals.  Given how much longer I have to train, I think my goal here was over-ambitious.  I'll still work on it, but I won't exhaust myself for it.  (I'm learning about goal setting here!)

No mid-weeks runs, but I did some elliptical and walking to keep cardio up.

House: 35 minutes housework. 45 minutes cleaning.  C-grade.

The Stinky:  Thanks to the snow for a daily reminder to sweat!  Except for my extra-sickly Monday, I sweat each day.  I'm absolutely on track for an A-grade here.

Body: So many feelings of stress and illness.  I'm not discussing my weight or my piss-poor eating habits.  I'm having week four off from worrying, because the stress isn't helping the pain/illness OR the weight.  Also, it's my birthday Friday, and I think I'm buying myself an ice cream cake from DQ.*  And since no one will be there eat it with me... I may have to eat it alone.  AND THAT IS OKAY.  Because cake is awesome.

I am already thinking in terms of mini-goals I can do next challenge to improve my overall health, weight, and mental relationship with food.

In terms of what I see in the mirror: I continue to love me more.  I am learning to be impressed by what my body does and what person my body holds.  Lots of success there, which I'm hoping will help me with the other body issues.

* I also find my birthday terribly stressful, as during my teen years, my birthday was basically a reminder of how I wasn't valued as myself or as a generic person in my family.  Still working on those emotional scars and learning to have a day to celebrate ME.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines