Anathema, 2nd time's the charm

Anathema

So, I did part of the last challenge and sort of . . . petered out. For various reasons mainly having to do with life just sort of getting me down. But rather than crawling into my cave and inhaling a pizza, I'm sauntering back to the starting line. And actually staying the course, dang it. I did do fairly well with the goals even though I fell off the Challenge wagon, so I'm coming back from a strong place. The main thing I'm looking to get out of this is a sense of stability and fortitude. And incredibly hot buffness with the glutes of steel and such too, of course. Okay, here we go!

Current weight: 139.6 (this is falsely low due to a weekend of napping, running, and not eating much. Not that I wasn't happy to see it on the scale! Goal is 135 so, as they say in The Devil Wears Prada, I'm one good stomach flu from my goal weight. But I'm really working on knowing that it may jump up a bit before it goes down, and not being too stressed.)

Goal 1: Two strength sessions a week for at least 30 mins

I am a total cardio addict, training for my first half marathon of the year (I've been trying to do 2 or 3 a year--maybe will do a full one this year. Not sure yet?). So, I tend to neglect strength. And strength is important.

Week 1 A

Week 2 A

Week 3 A

Week 4 B+

Week 5 A

Week 6 A

Goal 2: Track food throughout the day

Last challenge, I came up with a plan for my Weight Watchers tracking that really helped me with my tendency to frontload food early in the day and then either end up overeating later, or feeling cranky. Stick with that plan, go to meetings, and keep on trucking.

Week 1 B+

Week 2 B

Week 3 B+

Week 4 B

Week 5 A

Week 6 B+

Goal 3: Stretch

I am terrible about stretching. I try to do it after strength workouts, but I often don't after running, because I feel time pressed or I just forget or something. I used to be really flexible when I was a dancer, and i can tell I'm losing flexibility while gaining strength. Goal is to stretch after every workout, and on rest days, to still do at least 10 mins of stretching. I can waste 2 hours looking at shoes on Pinterest, I think i can find 10 mins to make my hamstrings happier.

Progress:

Week 1 C+

Week 2 C

Week 3 C

Week 4 B

Week 5 B-

Week 6 B-

Goal 4: Sobriety

I tend to go along being totally fine and then have "just one cocktail" . . . and then another. And then feel ick the next morning and take a pill to feel better. I wouldn't say I'm an addict because I can go long periods without alcohol or drugs (talking legal, from-the-doctor drugs, but still . . .), but I would say I'm a person who sometimes defaults to the easy option ("This cocktail will makes me feel happy!" "This pill will help me feel more awake!"). I think it will be good for me to *not* take the easy option and just feel tired or sad or whatever, unmediated. Let's see how it goes.

Progress:

Week 1 C+

Week 2 C

Week 3 C+

Week 4 C+

Week 5 C

Week 6 C

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

––G. K. Chesterton

Week One, Day One

139.6 lbs

No workout

Goals report:  Points tracking. Did well, largely spaced my points out per plan. Crazy workday meant not eating exactly as I'd like (no time for lunch? Hey, there's a bag of wasabi edamame in my desk!), but nothing dreadful.

B+

Strength: Had a workout planned, ended up giving a friend a ride to work instead. Will make it up today.

F

Stretching: Just plumb forgot when I got home. Did spend a fair bit of time soaking in a very hot hot tub, so that probably helped with a lot of my muscle stress.

C-

Sobriety: Didn't join the challenge until I'd already taken my optional morning Ritalin. It's prescribed but for use "as needed for fatigue" and I think I tend to take it more than I should. So, that was actually part of the reason I chose this goal. So, I'm not giving myself a total fail on this since the goal hadn't yet been set. But noting it.

C-

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

You can do this!, running and training more and more, should help with the other goals as well, so keep running!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

@German . . . it's totally true. I used to party a lot more, but it cut into my training schedule. Funny how one's priorities shift! "I'd love to go to that afterhours show but . . . I have a long run scheduled tomorrow morning. Sorry!". And the long run always makes me feel better than the crazy party. Well, with a very few exceptions, but as a rule . . .

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

@Wicked Pixie . . . how was that tea?

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Week One, Day Two

141.6 lbs

10 min walk, 20 min elliptical

Goals report:  Points tracking. Did well, largely spaced my points
out per plan. Ate some sweets (darn period) but within points nonetheless.

B+

Strength: Realized tomorrow is better for me than today for strength, so did cardio instead. The two strength workouts, then, will be Weds & Fri.

B (because I made a sensible plan)

Stretching: Yep, 10 mins at gym after workout.

A

Sobriety: Yep!

A

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

You should try yoga. It's strength and stretching all in one, plus some meditation. There are plenty of youtube videos you could follow along with but a class is always better.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Week One, Day Three

143 lbs

30 min strength, 20 min stair walking, 60 min dancing

Goals report: 

Points tracking. Did well, largely spaced my points properly

A

Strength: Workout 1 of 2. Also walked the stair-streets in my work's neighborhood cuz I needed to get some air at lunch, and then went out dancing in the evening. yay me!

A+

Stretching: Yep, 10 mins at gym after workout.
A

Sobriety: Yep! Felt particularly good about it because I was in a kind of bad mood, went to a club, and there were tons of people there who would have bought me a drink if I asked. But I didn't, and of course I felt much better after dancing, no alcohol needed! In fact, I was doing some fairly crazy dance moves up on a riser that I would not have done if I'd been tipsy!

A

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

@Nicole . . . I should totally try yoga. I used to do Bikram and I liked it, even though i kind of sucked at it (my sense of balance is not awesome). And did some more chill, less sweaty yoga on a women's retreat type thing a few years ago. I need to check out yoga studios in my area . . . often see Groupons for them and stuff . . .

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Awesome! straight A's!, keep on rocking you are totally smashing this one.

german

monkey scout

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

I love my tea- now I'm not a fancy pants tea expert, I just know I like Celestial Seasons- so many tasty options! And haven't had a drop of alcohol this week. In fact, now that I think about it, I CAN have a drink tonight if I wanna.....but I don't know if I do!

@Wicked Pixie . . . yay you! And ya know . . . one of the things I like about the way this challenge is structured is that, well, if you don't exactly meet your goals one day, eh. Note it, move on, do better tomorrow. As opposed to the "OMGZZZ I are ruined forever" mindset which I know I'm prone to, and never helps!

Also, heh, noticed we both have Chesterton quotes. He was a problematic dude in some ways, but sure had a way with words!

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

@German . . . thanks! I really like the support here, keeps me coming back!

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Week One, Day Four

142.6 lbs

Swing dance class

Goals report: 

Points tracking. Did well, largely spaced my points properly. At the end of the day I was tired and kind of cranky (my husband was having a bad day, it sort of wore off on me, plus I was getting home late after my class, he asked me to do a few errands, including getting him dinner. I ate more of his french fries than I should have driving home because I was cranky. but hey, weight still down to day so no need to get too self-blaming.

B

Strength: not a strength day, made plans for tomorrow

A

Stretching: D'oh. Totally forgot. Had planned to do it when I got home from swing dance but see above re: late, cranky. Oops!

F

Sobriety: Yep!

A

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Week One, Day Five

142.2 lbs

30 mins strength

Goals report: 

Points tracking. Had a weird day where I was just super hungry and made a bunch of bad food choices. Not sure why, but I'm not going to stress about it, just consider it one bad day and move on. My husband wanted to get the traditional (for him and sometimes for me) pizza and wings. I decided I could have one slice (and pre-tracked it to make sure). Stuck to that, so small victory.

C

Strength: Yep, and really pushed it with higher weights, more reps, so feel good about progress.

A

Stretching:Yep!

A

Sobriety: Sigh. Well, remember how I said the thing of being lazy? Was tired at work, and when I went to take my required meds (for complex partial), realized I had a Ritalin I'd stashed in the bottle ages ago & forgotten about. So I took it. Not a terrible failure--I felt fine (it basically affects me like a strong cup of coffee), and I slept fine last night so, while it was a fail for my goals, didn't seem to hurt that much. I am giving myself a D rather than an F, because it is a know thing for me to do the, "well, I already messed up my diet, may as well eat this package of Oreos." So it would not be unlike me to decide "screw it, now I might as well have a cocktail." But I didn't. Yay me.

D

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Week One, Day 6

142.2 lbs

10.5 mile run, then going out dancing. Also, 2 hrs yardwork in the morning. Day of amazing activity--earned 24 WW points.

I've had . . . major emotional ups and downs. Some fantastic moments. Some really not good ones. Just need to keep on moving forwards, stay as centered as I can, and celebrate the good times. And remember that the bad times pass, and when you look back, you can barely recall the sadness. My natural state is pretty damn happy. So any bad times are an anomaly. Keep calm, carry on, and keep kicking fitness ass!

Points: Did well until the end of the day when I kind of fell apart on it.

B

Strength:  Not a strength day but got a vast amount of exercise

A

Stretching:  Yep, yay me!

A

Sobriety: Went out, kind of just let myself go. Sort of thought about not posting this, out of embarrassment, but that way lies madness. So, full disclosure. And a failing grade.

F

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Okay, Week One averages (also reflected on my top post in this topic)

Points:  B+  (did okay, lost weight, but some sloppy tracking and bad food choices)

Strength:  A  (met my goal and then a little)

Stretching:  C+  (just . . . kept . . . forgetting. Do better next week!)

Sobriety: C+ (made a number of good choices, but week ended badly. Next week we do better!)

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

You did great this week, and you'll do even better next one, keep on rocking!

german

monkey scout

Maybe a sign taped to your pillow to remind you to stretch? Or your fridge, car keys, bathroom mirror. Can't forget to stretch if you are constantly reminded during the day. My running schedule is taped to the fridge. I know exactly what I'm supposed to do that day when I get breakfast. It doesn't always happen but at least I'm aware of it.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Not sure if you have any sort of mobile device, but I've got a daily stretching reminder set up on my iTouch (using an app called "Seize the Day").

jfrankovich

Level 5 Scout

I've run 306 miles in 2013!Current Challenge // 4th Challenge // 3rd Challenge // 2nd Challenge // 1st Challenge

Whether training or racing, a ScoutCannot wait to lace up and get outFor a ride or a run—It's rewarding and funTo set forth and explore a new route.

@Nicole & @jfrankovich . . .

The reminder thing is a good idea. I actually have a neurological disorder for which I need to take medication twice a day. I continually forgot the evening pill, because I don't have a very set schedule. (Morning pill is easy--wake up, take pill). I finally set a reminder in my phone that pings me every day at 7pm. I say, "Oh hey, my phone is telling me to take drugs!". And I do. My phone can easily also tell me to stretch. Obvious solution that I for whatever reason hadn't thought of. Thanks guys, gues sthis is why we're all here, eh?

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Week 2, Day 1

143.2 lbs

Points: Did well. Not every food choice was fantastic, but came in at a reasonable level    B+

Strength: Running late, didn't do as long a workout as I'd like, but I did it!  B+

Stretching:  Yep, yay me!  A

Sobriety: Yep!  A

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Week 2, Day 2

143 lbs

Points:Didn't track super consistently over the day, but caught up at night & had done well. Just worry that I forgot something in there . . . B+

Strength: Not a strength day, did take a 3-mile run  A

Stretching:  Yep, yay me!  A

Sobriety: Yep!  A

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines