Gem - Keep Calm and Carry On

Malva

Hello, fellow druids.

Goals:

Health #1 - meditate and/or exercise most days each week - 4-5 days per week (24-30 times)

Health #2 - food tracking most days - 6-7 days per week (36-42 days) - counting carbs and aiming for 60-80 per day

Health #3 - early bedtime - 9:30-10:00 bedtime - 5-6 days per week (30-36 days)

Life - finish the two Coursera courses I am enrolled in to earn the certificate for each, then upon completion, use that allotted time to work on my copy editing project.

Grading? An A is hitting the numbers I am aiming for - I guess take 10% increments down from there and assign them B, C, D, F...?  I am not big on grading, but if it is a requirement, then ok.

the details...

Health #1 - meditate and/or exercise most days each week - 4-5 days per week (24-30 times)

I really need to take some time for myself to do this. I really need to do this in a organized and intentional manner. Exercise will be yoga (sticking with the ONE PRACTICE I have been doing with my ipod app - not skipping all around randomly), or NF beginner bw workout (modified - I cannot figure out how to do a lunge properly LOL), or running (zombie running app - yay!). Days of heavy physical labor at work or home do not count - only scheduled exercise. 

Health #2 - food tracking most days - 6-7 days per week (36-42 days) - counting carbs and aiming for 60-80 per day

Weight loss. This food tracking goal is in support of that - it is a sneaky many-things-in-one goal, since our goals are limited in number. To achieve it, I am gonna have to do meal planning, cooking, shopping etc. Why count carbs? This just works for me - I do limit grains, esp. wheat, but I am not going all-out paleo.I am not dairy free and I like soy sauce too much ;) I do a lot of paleo recipes and look at paleo sites for meal ideas, but I do eat the occasional grain or bean. I try to get most of my carbs from dairy and fruits/veggies. 

I don't want to do weight loss as a straight-out goal, because there are too many unknowns. If I do things that support weight loss, and avoid things that don't, it will happen as a natural consequence. Eventually. Currently I am at 202 lbs. - down from 235 or so a couple of years ago. I have been stable at right around 197-200 for a while - a couple of years. I have been eating way too much white rice and buttered toast and I feel my clothes getting tighter. I need to nip that right in the bud!

This is another many-things-in-one goal. In order to accomplish this I need to make dinner early, which means planning dinner and planning when to do things for dinner ahead of time - making sure to set the wheels-in-motion for getting ready for bed time, etc. I started with this 9:30 bedtime when I was doing the Mark's Daily Apple 21 day challenge with a group a while back - this bedtime works really well for our needs. But as the seasons are changing, I feel things starting to slip a little - longer daylight hours require an adjustment in attitude. I am going to have to work harder to keep this bedtime - and then when summer comes I will have to adjust it, but for now I want to keep it up.

Life - finish the two Coursera courses I am enrolled in to earn the certificate for each, then upon completion, use that allotted time to work on my copy editing project.

OK, I don't know WHY I decided to sign up for two courses at once, but I did. And I really really want to get the certificate for both of them. I am taking U.S. Food Systems and Astrobiology, btw. I am having to use a lot of my free time watching the lectures and doing the quizzes and reading. And the problem is that I am taking time away from another project to do it. I agreed to copy edit a friend's novel, and I was working along at a good clip on that till I signed up for these classes. :sigh: The classes are over on Mar 4 and Mar 6, respectively, so when I get done I will devote the time to Murder on a Small Island until it is cleaned up! If I finish that, I am allowed to start a quilting project.

Intro: I will post in the general druid chat - but the short version is - 

I am a 42 yo homeschooling mom of two - I live on a farm in sw Arkansas and operate a small CSA. I am a science nerd  :frog: .  I have done NF challenges before, but not for a long time.

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3

Nice to see a fellow quilter on the board. I finally got tired of daydreaming about the things I would make once I got time and made finding sewing time part of my challenge this time around. Is that cheating? ;-)

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

I finally got tired of daydreaming about the things I would make once I got time and made finding sewing time part of my challenge this time around. Is that cheating? ;-)

oooo fun! No it is not cheating, in fact, it may prove difficult. It is hard to make time to do the things we enjoy, and sewing is so involved. Smart to make it part of the challenge. I am looking forward to chatting with you about sewing!  

My quilting project is a baby quilt for a new niece or nephew - I need to get started on it but I don't know if baby will be boy or girl! Totally confounding my fabric choices... My sister is a kind of punkish tattooed pierced girl so I am doing the quilt in red and charcoal grey - no disney princess crap for her LOL - but what accent color? I want to do some applique tattoo patterns (probably way too ambitious) and I will use turquoise as an accent color - but also pink? or orange? It is on my mind!

..or yellow? Turquoise with red and charcoal will just pop! It's also good for either gender. I have a bit of a Pinterest addiction, and have found so many needlework/applique inspirations in the tattoo pics (or are they inspired by needlework?). Not that I've actually used that inspiration in a quilt - at least not yet. I've only ever pieced baby quilts - applique is ambitious!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Hi - finally checking in this week - I have been keeping to my plan but I am just having a very hectic week and haven't had much computer time. Almost finished with one of my courses - just one more lecture and one more quiz! The other course wraps up next week so that part is nearly over as well. 

Kids slumber party tonight and birthday party tomorrow... hopefully I will have some time on Sunday to catch up with what everyone else is doing.

Hello, fellow druids.

Goals:

Week one has gone well for me - I have had a very busy week and there have been a couple of days that I would not have bothered to do a short yoga session or to find a quiet place to sit and meditate for a while if I hadn't signed on to the challenge, so I am glad I did that.

I have 7 instances on my #1 goal for this week - putting me ahead at this point.

I have 5 instances on my #2 goal for this week - putting me behind. I am including today, since i don't anticipate any problems. One day I just forgot to make notes after midday and the next day I meant to go back and write it down while it was fresh in my mind, but just didn't do it. Not sure why LOL. Yesterday was a massive birthday party for my 9yo son and I just could not keep up. I did have a slice of key lime pie cake and it was soooo good. I did not mindlessly eat a lot of party junk and I am proud of myself for that.

I have 4 instances on my #3 goal for this week - and I anticipate no problem with tonight either, which will put me at 5, meeting the goal. 

Goal #4 - I need to do the last lecture and quiz for Astrobiology today, then assess what is going on with the other class. They posted some lectures late this week and they are really long as well. Kind of irritating and inconsiderate. I'll be ending up cramming them all in before the due date, I'm sure.

Not for the two courses that I took - but every course is different. I know that some of the courses have exercises - like the math and computer science are more likely to have those, I guess. And some courses require writing assignments and for you to grade others. I signed up for a world history course that was like that and realized right away that I did not have time for it. Also that course had a requirement for interacting in the forums a certain amount of time.

I am glad I did it because now I have a good idea of how it works - and it is really cool to be part of a group of 30,000+ people all taking the same course :) But I would not sign up for two at once again. That was too much. I just don't have time.

If you have the time, jump into one. There is no obligation, you can always drop out if the course load is too much or the material is not interesting. No penalty!

today is the 6th day of a steadily worsening sinus infection - started taking antibiotic finally so hopefully I will get some relief soon. 

I often slip into bad habits, foodwise, when I am sick - easy to do because I just don't feel like dealing with it. I have seen from my food log that for the last 3 days things are getting very carby. Even not counting the special birthday lunch I had today with my sister. Just that the trend is there. So here's hoping that when I feel better I can turn that trend around.

Also no energy for yoga or running for past two days. Bad sign.

today is the 6th day of a steadily worsening sinus infection - started taking antibiotic finally so hopefully I will get some relief soon. 

I often slip into bad habits, foodwise, when I am sick - easy to do because I just don't feel like dealing with it. I have seen from my food log that for the last 3 days things are getting very carby. Even not counting the special birthday lunch I had today with my sister. Just that the trend is there. So here's hoping that when I feel better I can turn that trend around.

Also no energy for yoga or running for past two days. Bad sign.

I hear you....But the realization is a good sign and a way to start fighting it  :playful:

I have chosen to believe in myself.

update for week 2

Goals are:

week 2 - I had 7 instance of meditate and/or exercise - which was either running or yoga this week

week 2 - 6 days food tracking

week 2 - 7 days for the bedtime goal but time change is making it hard...

finished!!!! finished!!! but did not do any good on picking up my editing project :( 

here's the problem. I did not write it down in my notebook so I did not do it. sounds dumb but that is the way it works for me sometimes. I have to write everything down or else I forget really important stuff. and I have been writing everything on sticky notes and putting it in my food log notebook so there it all is - brain dump. but I did not write this down. 

so now I wrote it down! hope that helps, sheesh!

I told myself that I had to stick with the same yoga routine for the whole challenge. No skipping around. Learn it - get better at it - get more comfortable with it - make the transitions smoother... all that stuff. 

And I was right. It is just a short routine (abt 7 mins) on an ipod app, but I have now done it 10 times and it is starting to come together. It is kind of amazing how I can feel a difference in my wellness by how my body reacts during the routine - I have had a bad sinus infection and I could feel it coming on and going away as the days went by through my breathing and muscle response.

My short routine is good - I have a dvd that I love but it is 45 mins. I just can't carve out 45 mins if I am accessible to my family at all. I can do that long if I am away from home - like running - or every once in a while, but not daily. Just won't work right now in my house. 7 minutes I can do daily. And it feel great. I am seeing some improvement in my plantar fasciitis, I think. I hope :)

I purposefully set my exercise goal to include either yoga or body weight workout or running or meditation.  I wanted to give myself flexibility to do what fit my day/circumstances. I have chosen yoga overwhelmingly (although I would have run more if I hadn't been sick). I dread the body weight workouts - I don't enjoy them that much. So anyway, my point is, I see my pattern emerging.

I will just copy my post from the mini challenge thread because it summed up my week pretty well

Just going back over my notebook for the week - I have not felt much like I excelled, but much to my surprise I find that I did indeed stick to the plan. Ha. What do you know. 

And I had a lot of unexpected stuff going on this week - you know, life happened. Like I decided it was time to start harvesting veggies and delivering to my CSA customers - an event that I totally had not taken into consideration when I started the challenge. And my mother in law came for an unexpected visit - a welcome visit but a little spur of the moment (her: Hi I was thinking of coming to visit -me: Oh great! When? her: How about tomorrow? me: Yay! { as I go for the vacuum cleaner } LOL)

But I kept on making my little notes and doing my yoga and I even got in a bit of time working on my book editing project... and I went to a birthday party today and had cake (confession: and chips. they were good. funyuns.) but my other days and meals today were good. stayed up late only one night watching a family movie. my numbers for this week are good.

I guess I did indeed work the plan. I wrote 'excel' at the corner of the my notebook page each day to remind me... and I think it kept me going.

I'll let your harvesting veggies be my inspiration to do a bit of planting. Yes, I know it's late, but the chard won't care too much.

Oh yes, the chard will be fine. I think chard is a biennial - at least for me it does not go to seed until it has been in the ground for a whole season. We get some pretty hot summers in sw Arkansas and it does look pretty sad in the hottest months of the year, but then it comes back to life when the weather cools down. I looked at your profile and it said you were in VA - I think planting chard is fine. We are setting out transplants of brussels sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli still, hoping to get one late-ish crop from it. We'll see - depends on how hot it gets early in the season, probably. I wish I could figure out how to post pics here because I have got some chard growing in my high tunnel that is to die for! Magenta, golden and ruby red. You can see a bundle of it in the pic in this post on my site.

http://sunshinefordinner.com/2013/03/18/on-the-menu-march-18-2013/

You also inspired me to sign up for a Coursera class! Starts today

Oh awesome, I hope you learn a lot!

And what class did you sign up for? There is one going right now that I signed up for a while back but I am not taking it because I just can't get sucked into that right now LOL. But it is "how things work" and I soooo want to be watching all the videos. I think I can go back and watch the videos later, at least the videos for some of the courses I signed up for a long time ago still work.  I just won't get the certificate :sigh: I do love those ridiculous certificates;) I got 'with distinction' in my astrobiology course LOL I have been showing it to everyone, I am like LOOK AT MY CERTIFICATE!!!

Gem , I wanted to thank you for stopping by and giving me encouragement, which totally rocks as I have been sick and have had a hard time getting back into the swing of things!! 

Sounds like you have the crud as well....Don't give up!!  If I can get back to it, anyone can!!

I love your goals, especially the getting to bed early one! I have busy days myself and can totally relate to needing to get enough sleep.

I have been inspired as well to take a writing class that started Monday, so I better get hoppin' on that one! Thank you for writing about Coursera Site, It's Awesome!

Keep excelling!!

CB3 Warrior Status 

Battle Log

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf

Warrior Level 3

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 5 CON 5 WIS 8 CHA 9

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines