ryancathey's fate - Chapter 1

ryancathey

Hey fellow humans,

I'll share a little bit about me. I'm sure it's a lot like the rest of your stories, but here it goes...

In Highschool, I played water polo and was a big muscular guy. 6' 2", 220 with 7% body fat. When I graduated I quit playing, but kept eating like I was playing. Got a back injury that kept me from exercising and 4 years later I woke up weighing 330 lbs and could barely move. I had 2 back surgeries, recovered and started the journey to better health.

My first attempt was to simply try and go back to exercising the way I did in High School. I joined a water polo league that worked out for an hour, then scrimmaged for an hour, 4 nights a week. After 8 weeks, I had lost 1 lbs (I'm sure I had gained around 3-5 lbs of muscle and my cardio health was awesome again) but this was not nearly the result I was looking for.

I went on Medifast (so difficult) and lost 40lbs in 46 days AND KEPT IT OFF. Then I just transitioned into eating less which resulted in another 20 lbs of fat loss, but then I plateaued. I stayed at 270 for a good 8 months with no major change up or down. I decided to get drastic, so I went on a crash HCG diet that resulted in 26 lbs of fat loss. GREAT! 244 for a couple weeks once I was off the diet. I got married in June of last year and since then I have gone back up (and over a couple times) the 270 plateau. I started eating a Paleo diet, but all it does is seem to keep me level. I'll do great for 3-4 weeks, then I'll have an event or birthday or holiday that will cause me to take in some carbs, and BAM! I've gained 6 lbs. Then I spend the next 3-4 weeks eating right in order to lose the 6 lbs, just to gain it back when I binge again.

I've decided that although exercise is not the main way to lose weight, it's missing from my life. I'm hoping that it will be some sort of kick starter for my weight loss. I think my body just likes being 270 lbs. This is not an excuse, just an obstacle (but a really frustrating one!). I am a video and motion arts producer/director in LA so I sit behind a desk all day and have a 1.5 hour commute (both ways) so time is not on my side. I'm also an entrepreneur with more than 2 irons in the fire at any given time. I woke up this morning and did the Konami Code Workout for 5 minutes (6 sets with modified pull ups... did I mention I weigh a lot?) which is great, but I'm worried this might all be for nothing.

So in short (sorry), my biggest struggle right now is finding the combination of diet and exercise that is going to work for me.

Thanks for reading and comment if you like.

• ryancathey
  • Level 1 Ogre
  • STR - 3 | DEX - 1 | STA - 1 | CON - 2 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4
  • Current Challenge

And here are my goals:

• be full paleo for the full six weeks (+3CON) This will be tough for a few days in the next six weeks (birthdays)
  • limit my calorie intake to 1600kCal a day (+3CON,) Again, birthdays...
  • make a fifty pound sand bag, and move it from one side of the yard to the other, five times, every day I don't do a workout (+4STR, +3STA)
  • make 4, ten pound batches of homemade soap (+2CHA)

• ryancathey
  • Level 1 Ogre
  • Current Challenge

Besides weighing yourself, do you keep other measurements? If you keep a bicep measurement, for instance, you could see muscle gain more clearly. Remember, weight is just a number on a scale and doesn't necessarily represent your level of health. Before/after pictures are also a great way to show progress outside of a scale. And, I'm not an expert on this so please check on the forums, but 1400 cal/day seems low for your height.

Level 8 Undead Ranger

STR: 17.75 | DEX: 13 | STA: 16.25 | CON: 20 | WIS: 15.25 | CHA: 14

My Current Challenge | My Epic Quest List

While I haven't been at it for very long, I've noticeably lost weight by doing a lot of heavy lifting (incrementally increasing the weights based on what I can tolerate). I try to go for integrated lifts using dumbbells to force my body to balance the weight itself and not gonna lie, I feel a lot stronger even in the short couple of weeks alone (before this I focused more on cardio which, while it made me feel more in shape, didn't have the weight loss and body-changing effects I was hoping for). I know you mentioned a back problem so I'm not sure how much that limits your ability to do things like dumbbell clean and presses but that'd be my advice (others may be better able to comment based on your history as an athlete). 

Cheers and good luck!

Level 3 Human Adventurer

(based on the old system, anyway)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #25

Current Challenge

Challenge 1 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3

@DocKBar Thanks for the advice. I actually don't really have any issues with my back other than the occasional lingering numbness of the sciatic nerve in my calf, but that's more of an inflammation issue, I think. I've been wanting to do more heavy lifting, but honestly, I don't really know where to start and I'm incredibly intimidated in the gym these days. I tend to judge everyone so I question the intelligence of the roid-heads in the free-weight room and thus, don't approach them for advice. Our training in waterpolo was all about pulling instead of pushing, so dead-lifting, snatches and the rest are completely foreign to me. I guess it's time to get a 20 sec power boost and ask one of them...

Also, I saw that we're near each other. Maybe I'll see you at the playground... haha.

• ryancathey
  • Level 1 Ogre
  • Current Challenge

That works or search online -- I know there are a ton of sources that advocate heavy lifting and have guides for them. I personally started when my sister's boyfriend got me a Men's Health Gym Bible that goes over the different lifts and how to use body weight, dumbbells, or barbells with them (and other things including machines, but those balance the weight for you so they're not as good for building multiple sets of muscles at once). 

Good luck and shoot me a message if you want to meet up at the gym sometime -- I go to the Duarte Fitness Center (on membership drives the cost comes down to ten bucks a month if you buy a year and includes the racketball room) and could show you some of the lifts if you're up for it. I think they still give out a few free passes per person if you tell them you're interested in checking out the facilities.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

(based on the old system, anyway)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #25

Current Challenge

Challenge 1 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3

Hey Skiley and pbandbrains,

Thanks for asking. I actually had a great first week. I worked out every day last week except for Sunday (my off day) and lost 7.6 lbs. WooHoo! I have to make my sand bag today and use it (as I did not work out this morning). I was fully Paleo all week which was HUGE for me as I attended 3 birthday parties. I didn't cheat once!

As far as the soaps go, I have so far made a 5 lbs batch of coffee soap and a 10 lbs batch of an olive oil based shaving soap with a cedar and bay rum fragrance. My next attempt will be to make a completely white soap for everyday use.

I'll hop on over and ask you guys about your weeks on your threads...

• ryancathey
  • Level 1 Ogre
  • Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines