"Fourth time the charm" -Fearkiller

Fearkiller

Finnish, 19-year-old, male polytechnic student, 3.5 year BBA in front of me, seeking out
personal development alongside studies: what's the education worth if I don't
develop as a person?

On the first challenge I felt I hadn't earned the lvl up, second I barely managed,
and the third was a little better. Seeing forward to do better again.

Fearkilling:
"Find and do things that scare me." +1 WIS per success (max. +5)

- Take the dance lessons via polytechnic (person-to-person interaction at
it's best -I'm a shy person, so this would be good)

- Strike up a conversation with random people (5x for one WIS)

- Seek out opportunities to practice speaking english

- Suggest something, out of ideas. Maybe too personal, but what scares you?

If I do it first, would it help?

Prepare for a epic adventure: "Walk X miles/week, as fast as I can, and strech
afterwards."
+1 Dex, +1 Con

So if I am to do any sort of serious traveling, be it a
tour around Europe by foot and hitchhiking, hiking or any sort of adventure,
walking is the most tried method, the basic way to move. And a good stroll
gives time to think.

Still at loss in how much should I walk. I now walk about 3
miles/day to school and back, and it takes one-way about 20-25 min.

I used to be able to walk 4 miles under an hour, 2-3 times a week.

Have to see a doctor about my knee pain first. I think it came from bad-form lunges,
three weeks before. Been playing the "maybe it'll go away on it's
own"-game :( but it didn't work.

I have a nagging feeling it'll get good deal worse if I start walking too much
right now.

What sparked this goal:
" Chronicler: '- - I learned more from a month on the road than I had in three years of classes.'

Kvothe: 'Teccam said the same thing: No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles.
If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name.

Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than a mirror-glass.

A long strech of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection.' "

-The wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Kill the Demons of Procrastination and Distraction: "Two hours/day of
undisturbed homework-time/day."
+2 Wis, +2 Cha

Not in one go, legitimate breaks and such are permitted, just "15 min of work,
5 min youtube, 10 min work, read a book for 20 min... Oh right, what I was doing..."

doesn't count. The work is going to pile up to a huge mountain unless I start now.

Diet Goals: "See, there's a vitamin right there!" +2 Wis, +1 Cha, +1 Con

- No sweets, buns, cake, sodas, coffee, sugary fruit juices etc. In short = no stuff
that tastes good but has 0 nutritional value and cause crash spikes in blood sugar levels.

- 1 liter of water daily

- Eat five nutritious things daily: Fruits or veggies each is one, 50g of nuts or
seeds count as one.

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

A secret to meeting people, know you are awesome.  Not think maybe, not doubt, KNOW you are Awesome.  Because you are.  If they don't see it or want to pass on the chance to know someone awesome...their loss.

It is GREAT that you are attacking your fears.  Beat them into submission!

I will be interested to see how this goes for you.

BTW my biggest fear is failing those I love.  So I work hard to make sure it doesn't happen.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

26.2 Tuesday

Water 10 dl

Nutritious things: 4/5 1 banana, 2 oranges, 1 apple 

27.2 Wednesday

Water 10 dl

Nutritious things 5/5 2 kiwi-fruits, 2 oranges, 1 apple

Next week is vacation, and I bet I'll be hearing comments like

"Oh, relax...You can eat one donut, one won't hurt."

And it'd be alright, if would stay at one. Knowing myself, it'd soon be 2, 3, 10.

Let's say it's 20 miles/week, and tweak it from there,

if need arises. 

A secret to meeting people, know you are awesome. Not think maybe, not doubt, KNOW you are Awesome. Because you are. If they don't see it or want to pass on the chance to know someone awesome...their loss.

But I don't believe it myself. It's a major self-self-esteem issue.  What I'm talking about? Fearkilling is all about becoming awesome, even if I am not yet.

Sorry, that side got a hold of me for a moment. Is there a word for the little voice in you that tells you [sith-voice] "You can't, give up, don't try, it's allright to let go..." [sith-voice]

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

I get that.  But at some point I noticed that most people didn't care as much about my shortcomings as I did.  And you are becoming awesome.  Just keep to the plan!

I may be one of the few, but I believe in the gateway doughnut.  It is WAY easier for me to not have any than have one.  So I have found just saying, "I don't eat that way"  Out loud or just inside keeps away the Jedi mind trick that doughnuts seem to posses.

Just eat consciously on vacation, you will do fine!

I will admit I don't know what a dl of water is.  Is that more or less than a liter?  Nice to see you are getting your healthy foods in!!

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

28.2 Thursday

Water: 10 dl

Nutritious Things: 4/5 1 mango, 1 apple, 2 kiwi-fruits

BruteSquad said  28.2, 06:40 PM:

I will admit I don't know what a dl of water is. Is that more or less than a liter?

"dl" is shortened from "decilitre", and in one liter there is 10 of them. I didn't know the word for one liter.

( I know now, spied from your post :) )

1.3 Fri

Water 10 dl

Nut. Things 4/5 1 grapefruit, 2 pears, 50g nuts

2.3 Sat

Water 8 dl

Nut. Things 3/5 50g dried fruits, 1 orange, 1 grapefruit

Mini-woot(s): dried fruits are good as any candy and still have vitamins like

normal fruits. And they stay good up to two weeks after the bag is opened.

Useful stuff indeed, espcecially as I'm travelling much.

As the water has been taken away but the sugar is left,

they do have high levels of sugar in them (per 100g)

And are easy to eat. hmm... To eat or not to eat?

And I realized that grapefruits are cheap-ish, big and taste rather good.

And not a single taste of oversugary, nutrient-lacking crap has lured me.

I was actually just the other day putting a spoonful of sugar into my tea

out of habit, and stopped myself midway.

Although I signed myself in, it's too bad the dance lessons will not start until next fall.

Nor the discussion course in english. Will need other fearkilling stuff.

I have walked 18 miles this week, give or take a few (will track them more closely),

but I have streched only twice. Of that 18 miles 15 have been walking to school and back,

and I will not count them, because walking to school and back hasn't given me any benefits after

I got too used to it. So the 20 miles will have to come on top of that.

Dried fruit is great.

I don't know if you can and I don't know what your schedule is based on my schedule, but I would be willing to talk to you in English on Skype if you wanted.  Just a matter of finding a time when we can both do it.  If you are interested let me know.  I will warn you, I was in the US Navy, so I was a sailor and I could teach you all the things not to say in polite company......

I am excited that you caught yourself putting sugar in your tea.  That is a REALLY big deal.  Good job.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

I don't know if you can and I don't know what your schedule is based on my schedule, but I would be willing to talk to you in English on Skype if you wanted.  Just a matter of finding a time when we can both do it.  If you are interested let me know.  I will warn you, I was in the US Navy, so I was a sailor and I could teach you all the things not to say in polite company......

Would be interested for sure. Next week I have bits of schoolwork here and there but a lot of free time in between, so let's look then. I wouldn't mind expanding my vocabulary :)

I am excited that you caught yourself putting sugar in your tea.  That is a REALLY big deal.  Good job.

I am too! it isn't that I miss the sugar so much, more like I've done it so long.

3.3 Sun

Water 5dl

Nut. Things 4/5 3 handfuls* of dried fruits, 1 grapefruit

4.3 Mon

Water 8 dl

Nut. Things 4/5 bowl of black currants (tasted good!), 1.5 plates of salad,

handful of grapes, handful of dried fruits

*handful = cupping my hand and filling it until they start falling off the sides

Breaking habits, like sugar in the tea, makes a big difference.  All those little things.  Good work on the healthy foods!

Next week I will have some time, but I will have to get back home to find out when that time is.  I am sure my schedule will be crazy.  I will be on New York time, what time are you on?  I need to know when you would be awake.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

In Finland timezone is UTC+2:00. Anywhere between 7.00 to 22.00 is possible.

I'll be off the radar probably until the end of this week (no internet available).

5.3 Tue

Water 8dl

Nut. Things 3.5/5 1 banana, 0.5 plate of salad, 2 handfuls of dried fruit.

What the fuck just happened?
I mean I managed to miss a whole week of posting.
A mix of laziness, creative procrastination and self-deception.
At the end of the day I can't blame anyone than myself for it.

Good news:

Tthe water and nutritious things goals have been going good.

Bad news:

I've been literally hugging my comfort zone.
And I can remember only two days of the last three weeks I did hit the two hours of studying.

The walking has been a flop too. The days I walked at all I didn't strech and the days I walked I didn't strech (doesn't make sense even to me?).

And even the miles fell way short of the 20 miles goal. How do I give myself a good kick in the ass?

I have to get all the goals perfect if I am to get even a C from this challenge.

Majorly pissed off by this. Although anger makes excellent fuel for the 20-second berserk mode.

The goals this far:

Water
Week one: 53/70 dl ~* 76 %
Week two: 53/70 dl ~ 76 %
Week three: 40/70 dl ~ 57 %
Average:  ~ 69 %

Nutritious things
Week one: 24/35 ~ 69 %
Week two: 30/35 ~ 86 %
Week three: 16/35 ~ 46 %
Average:  ~ 67 %

*rounded

Fearkilling:
Not worth mentioning :(

Walking:

Studying:

Posted the individual days as well just for the purposes of logging them in one place.

Wed 06.3
Water: 5 dl
Nut. Things: 4/5: two oranges, one apple, handful of dried fruit

Thu 07.3
Nut. Things: 5/5 two oranges, one apple, handful of grapes, handful of dried fruit

Fri 08.3
Water: 8 dl
Nut. Things: 5/5: half a bag of dried fruit, one kiwi, one apple, one orange, one grapefruit
One sugar coated doughnut and coffee with sugar

Sat 09.3
Water: 9 dl
Nut. Things: 5/5 two kiwi fruits, one orange, handful of dried fruit, handful of grapes

Sun 10.3
Water: 5 dl
Nut. Things: one apple, handful of dried fruit

Mon 11.3
Nut. Things: 5/5: handful of dried fruit, 2 dl berries,one apple, one orange, can of crushed pineapple.

Tue 12.3
Water 6 dl
Nut. Things: 5/5: 2 times 2dl of berries, one orange, can of crushed pineapple, one apple,

Wed 13.3
Nut. Things: 0/5

I really don't know where I wrote this down, so... Hate when this happens, as I probably did good, but have to count this as 0.

Thu 14.3
Water: ???
Nut. Things: ???

Fri 15.3
Water: 7 dl
Nut. Things: 5/5: one onion and a handful of paprika in an omelet = 2, two plates of salad, one plate of frozen veggies

Sat 16.3
Water: ???
Nut. Things: ???

Sun 17.3
Nut. Things: 1/5: one apple

Mon 18.3
Nut. Things: 5/5: one banana, two kiwi fruits, one orange, can of crushed pineapple

FEARKILLER!!! I'm sorry that i haven't popped in earlier to see how you're doing, but honestly you're doing much better than you're giving yourself credit for. You still have 3 weeks to go so go! go! go!

For the walking, is there something you really like doing that you can do while walking? Maybe listening to an audiobook? What about just walking around campus, that counts too, you know? I remember how successful you found your random hug day - why not try that again as part of your walking goal.  You have to walk and offer a random hug to every third/fourth person you walk past until you reach 30 hugs or something? These are just ideas.

And remember you're at least doing something.  Can you name 3 people who aren't?  You're beating them in the race, promise.

Kg1Fdit.jpg

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

One week does not kill a challenge.  I had a week where all but one of my goals I graded myself a -Z. 

That week is gone.  I have to focus on this week and making it right.  That is all you can do.  Let go of last week, learn from it, but let it go.

Do what you need to do this week.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

As I went for a standard health check arranged by my school, I asked: "In adolescence, as bones develop and strengthen from physical exercise, when it stops?" The answer was that I have about two years left, and after that physical exercise only helps to keep the level I have by then. That really scared me, as I thought I cannot do anything after that point to strengthen the bones and will reap the "rewards" of my laziness the next 30? 50? 70? years. So now I've found my reason for walking (and exercise also).

More later, sleepy.. now... Zzz

Searching my old logs, I found out I actually walked 16th March for 5 miles and streched too! It's like
forgetting money tucked somewhere and finding a pleasant surprise later :) And more recently (Monday 1.4)
I walked 3.5 miles+streching while on Easter vacation.Now there's 8.5/120=7% done! Wohoo!
If I get the full 20 miles this week and maybe 10 miles next monday,
I might be really able to save this goal! (38.5/120=32%)

Not much fearkilling, though the other goals substitute for it some.
But still... Too easy to flee, I suppose. I did enlist for the English speaking course and dance lesssons,
but does the enlisting count even though the courses weren't held inside the challenge timeframe?
And I had one brief discussion in english with a fellow student.

Well, I've thought about arranging a "speak-english-club" on my own and getting any fellow students
and maybe international students join me. Maybe the student union of the university of applied sciences will join in as well.
My english teacher is interested about it, and I would be as a leading figure forced to meet and discuss with
new people from different cultures! I feel really exited and scared at the same time. Effin' sweet. isn't it?
So my fearkilling goal is to keep a small info splash about that to my class next Monday.

I did find the times I slipped and ate sweet but useless stuff.
(well, all the ones I remembered to write down, anyway)
If one day is 100/42=2.38% and one sweet but useless thing cuts down 50%, then:
12.3 One piece of blueberry pie -1.4%
16.3 Two cups of coffee with sugar -2.4%
17.3 Two cups of coffee with sugar -2.4%
31.3 Two helpings of dessert -2.4%

Other math coming soon!

So the "no to useless sweet stuff" goal is going at 91.4% after five weeks. Nice indeed!
Compared to that I used to eat sweets regularly, this is good!

The studying went down the drain. Only 5 days during the five weeks met the two hours ( 5*2.38=11.9%)
Probably because of a computer game addiction (studying is just way more boring than Mass Effect :D )
or that the studying is just plain boring. Maybe I will adress the addiction  in the next challenge...

Tue 19.3
Nut. Things: 0/5 -sorry!

Wed 20.3
Nut. Things: 4/5 2x handful of nuts, 1 can of crushed pineapple, 1 banana

Thu 21.3
Nut. Things: 4/5 2x handful of nuts, 1 can of crushed pineapple, 1 banana

Fri 22.3
Water: 6 dl
Nut. Things: 4.5/5 1 passion fruit, 0.5 pear, 1.5 handfuls of dried fruit,
2 carrots, 0.5 handful of nuts

Sat 23.3
Nut. Things: 2 passion fruits, 1 apple, 1 handful of dried fruit, 1 orange

Sun 24.3
Water: [data existence failure]
Nut. Things: [data existence failure]
(this is why I should post more often)

Mon 25.3
Nut. Things: 4/5 2 apples, 1 handful of dried fruit, 1 can of crushed pineapple, 1 pear

Tue 26.3
Nut. Things: 1 handful of dried fruit, 1 orange, 2 plums (not dried, the real kind)

Wed 27.3

Thu 28.3
Nut. Things: 5/5 1 banana, 1 serving of berries, 15cm of zucchini,
1 serving of salad, 1 pear

Fri 29.3
Water: 5.5 dl
Nut. Things: 1 plum, 1 pear, 1  handful of dried fruit,
1 orange, 1 banana

Sat 30.3
Water: 7.5 dl
Nut. Things: 4/5 1 grapefruit, 2 oranges, 1  handful of dried fruit,

Sun 31.3

Mon 1.4
Nut. Things: 3 handfuls of sunflower seeds, 1 handful of dried fruit,

First I want to say it looks like you are doing what the challenge is set up for.  Making changes and focusing on them.  If you are learning from the goals you don't reach, then it is still a good thing.

Also I need to apologize.  I never got back to you on speaking english via Skype.  My schedule got really busy really fast and it simply was not possible to get to talk to you when you would be awake.

Get that big push on the walking.  I know you can do it!

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Tue 2.4

Wed 3.4

I can't find them, if I ever remembered to log them -damn!

Thu 4.4

Nut. Things: 2 apples, 2 bananas, 1 passion fruit

Fri 5.4

Water: 2 dl

Nut. Things: 2 bananas, 1 apple

Sat 6.4

Water: 4 dl

Nut. Things: 1/5 handful of dried fruit

Sun 7.4

Nut. Things: 5/5 1 kiwi, 2 handfuls of dried fruit,

1 banana, 1 apple

Mon 8.4

Nut. Things: 5/5 2 handfuls of dried fruit, 1 banana,

1 can of pineapple pieces, 1 kiwi

I drank two cups of coffee with sugar both friday and saturday (it was good after a long time, though)

nevertheless, -4.8% And we were travelling this Sunday: suddenly it was 5 pm (aka 17:00),

and everyone else was hungry and going for a pizza, so coke+pizza -2.4%

Fearkilling:

"Find and do things that scare me." +1 WIS per success (max. +5)

- Take the dance lessons via polytechnic (person-to-person interaction at

it's best -I'm a shy person, so this would be good)

- Strike up a conversation with random people (5x for one WIS)

- Seek out opportunities to practice speaking english

-Did enlist to the "dance" and "discussion in english"-courses, but they weren't held yet

-Not a single new conversation :(

-One 10 min conversation in english, but that alone doesn't count

GRADE: F

----------------

Prepare for a epic adventure:

"Walk 20 miles/week, as fast as I can, and strech

afterwards." +1 Dex, +1 Con

I got 22.5 out of 120 miles (18.75%). Not enough.

----------------

Kill the Demons of Procrastination and Distraction: "Two hours/day of

undisturbed homework-time/day." +2 Wis, +2 Cha

Did do homework only the amount what was required, and that only

exceeded two hours in seven days 7/42=16%

----------------

Diet Goals: "See, there's a vitamin right there!" +2 Wis, +1 Cha, +1 Con

- No sweets, buns, cake, sodas, coffee, sugary fruit juices etc.

- 1 liter of water daily

- Eat five nutritious things daily

-So, starting at 100% and 1 sweet and useless thing cost me 1.2 %,

the total score after 6 weeks is 84 %

Pretty sweet considering I used to eat

sweet crap whenever "I felt like it". Then I would feel bad about it, and

eat even more sweets

-268 out of 420 liters = 64%

-132.5 nutritious things of a maximum of 210 = 63 %

Average for those three (84+64+63)/3 = 70 %

Will count the stat points and ponder how I think about this challenge

tomorrow.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines