• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Katinka

Central PA Nerds?

12 hours ago, Gathrightknight said:

Haha Thanks! And yeah, it tastes good but I know it's not great health wise. I'm curious is if there are healthy lunch meats out there or are they all too processed?

So a few years ago, the WHO came out and said that processed meats are considered carcinogenic. In response, a number of companies came out with nitrate free, lower sodium, natural lunch meats. So as long as you look for higher quality products, it's decently healthy. 

I would also like to point out that "healthy" is relative. I mean, if you are eating Burger King or McDonald's as your normal lunch, a lunch meat sandwich is most likely going to be a better choice, regardless of the type of lunch meat. 

9 hours ago, elinox said:

Lebanon bologna isn't as bad as you'd think. It's 80 calories for 2 slices, which is a normal sandwich amount. ;) 

Turkey is pretty low calorie. I get 1/2 pound of Boar's Head turkey which is 240 calories which makes for large sandwiches. 

Being from central PA, I've also had sweet bologna. Although I prefer the Lebanon. 

I prefer sweet bologna, but I respect your taste buds' opinion! I generally eat sandwiches with either bologna or chicken lunch meat.

8 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

So a few years ago, the WHO came out and said that processed meats are considered carcinogenic. In response, a number of companies came out with nitrate free, lower sodium, natural lunch meats. So as long as you look for higher quality products, it's decently healthy. 

Really? I'll have to start looking for more natural lunch meats then. 

15 hours ago, Gathrightknight said:

Really? I'll have to start looking for more natural lunch meats then. 

Here's a link to Science Alert with a rundown

Apologies for my language - they are considered possibly carcinogenic! Not trying to fear-monger, I promise! Basically, if you eat a lot of either red meat or lunchmeat, you do potentially increase your chance of having bowel cancer, but it's not as likely as say, the link between smoking and lung cancer.