• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Strickland5

Chicago Marathon 2013

Hi strickland! I'm stumbling upon this thread late, but yes, I am registered for the Chicago Marathon too. This will be my third time running it. I'm planning to follow the Pfitz 12/55 plan for the first time this year, but first I have to spend a few months getting back in shape after a stress fracture this winter.

I'm looking forward to following along with you during training!

The wife and I have selected the training plan! Woot! 

We're going to try the FIRST system and hope for the best. Also we're going to join a boot camp to kick our butts into better overall shape before we start the marathon training ... so yeah we're going to be all consumed by running and fitness and stuff!

Yay?

Fun!

I'm not running it this year, but my husband is so I'll probably be in town and watching along the route (we may even bring the dog).

What times are you guys hoping to run?

I am running the Chicago Marathon this year too! I am following Hanson's Marathon Method so I hope it will help my improve my time. I am shooting to complete it in 4 hours and 30 minutes. I wish you all the best on your training & we should keep in touch. I am looking for some people to help with pointers on running a Marathon. I completed two half marathons last year so I figured this was a good of time as any to take on the whole 26.2 miles :)

I look forward to hearing from you!

You'll do great, DblEIK. If I were limited to one piece of overall advice on marathoning, it would be "run slower." :) Really, that is the main difference I found between the half and the full: pacing and race strategy suddenly become much more important, and in training and the race itself you need to actually learn ways to not run out of energy.

I'm also shooting for around a 4:30 this year, having run a 5:10 the first time around and a 4:44 the second time. My most recent half (which was, yikes, three years ago) was 2:09, if that matters as a point of reference.

Do you guys live here in Chicago? Let's definitely keep in touch!

You'll do great, DblEIK. If I were limited to one piece of overall advice on marathoning, it would be "run slower." :) Really, that is the main difference I found between the half and the full: pacing and race strategy suddenly become much more important, and in training and the race itself you need to actually learn ways to not run out of energy.

I'm also shooting for around a 4:30 this year, having run a 5:10 the first time around and a 4:44 the second time. My most recent half (which was, yikes, three years ago) was 2:09, if that matters as a point of reference.

Do you guys live here in Chicago? Let's definitely keep in touch!

I'm a Chicagoan, but I didn't get the motivation to do a full marathon until well after the registration disaster this year.  I'm doing the Detroit Free Press Marathon Oct 20 (the week after Chicago) instead.  I'm basically doing my own kind of custom training program that includes solitary weekend long runs, and some more social runs during the week (Wicker Park/Uk Village runners group on Tuesday and 3run2 in Logan Square on Thursdays...both finish at a bar for beers).  This will be my first marathon, so I'm really looking forward to it.  

Edited by Maestro

Less than a week ... I'm ready, but I'm still nervous. To be honest I'm still looking for sub-5hrs... I'd LOVE a 4:30 but I'm not sure as I didn't train at THAT speed.