Should I try jiu-jitsu again or join a gym?

Hey, all.  I used to be pretty into jiu-jitsu back in the day. I took it for six years and made lots of friends but then my teacher left and I lost my drive.

Last year at this time I joined NF and got into the best shape of my life  I've sinced moved to a new city (Toronto) and want to get back in shape and meet new people, but I can't seem to decide which to do (I can't do both due to financial reasons).  My problem is that if my heart isn't into it completely (some would say obsessively, as I have OCD) I tend not to do.  I was 20 or so when I started jiu-jitsu the first time and now I'm 38...but I'm much stronger, having joined NF, and I don't have the panic attacks on a daily basis that I used to have. (I used to let people choke me out to end the panic attacks when I was training, so people thought i wasn't as good as I could have been.

i'm also not sure which gym to join, etc., etc.  I keep going around in circles and can't make a decision.  In the meantime my stomach seems to be growing and I'm starting to hate my photographs.  Anyone have any advice?

doogiet

Shoryuken!

Go with the martial art as you are more likely to meet new people than in your average gym.

And don't forget to tap.

I'm with shiggles go with the martial arts, if you want to meet new people. It will give you something to talk about until you know them better, might even be able to ask someone to go out for drinks/lunch/tea/something of the like to get to know them better, and you can use the time before and after the class to talk to them

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Do it!!! Man I wish I had the money to start training regularly again, but the good gyms are super pricey.  Just PLEASE do not let people choke you out to end your panic attacks... always tap.  Sure if it's your instructor or a brown belt they'll notice when you go limp but 90% of the people in the gym will probably hold the choke for too long... that's permanent brain damage even if you feel okay after you come to.  TAP TAP TAP

Level 1 Ranger

STR: 4.5 DEX: 2.5 STA: 1.25 CON: 2 WIS: 3.5 CHA: 3

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/24946-jiujitsujuju-time-to-hit-reset/

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." -Wayne Gretzky

Some good gyms in toronto are

• The AC at UofT. Large track. classes. 3 or 4 power racks. lots of assorted equipment. Lots of university kids, but a significant (~10%) number of people are over 25 (white hair is not uncommon). Close to Spadina subway station.
  • Fortis Fitness. 24hr. 50$/month. 9 power racks. Not a giant place. "If you want to do cardio, the plyo boxes are over there" type place. They might have a bike.
  • http://dccentre.ca/ Kind of like crossfit, but with even more of an emphasis on "hey, this is cool/awesome, lets try it". Close to subway.

stay away from extreme fitness. You've probably noticed by now that park workouts are difficult from oct-apr

I agree with the martial art route and body weight lifting at home. The social aspect certainly seems to be a better motivator than getting to the gym to work in possible silence or with headphones on, more isolated.

Definitely Tap as needed and remember we are here, and by the responses you've gotten so far, I think you know that we understand. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On