Ninja in Training

Mindisruption

Starting point

Right now I sprint maybe once a week, hiit 5 times a week, and strength train 2-3 times a week.  I really want to get back into my running but not as heavy as I was before.  I have realized I need a variety of working out not just for my body, but to keep me motivated. I am hoping the strength training and hiit will help my running speed/endurance improve.  The main thing I would like to get out of having variety in my training is becoming more toned.  Diet wise I have been doing a not so strict version of paleo with cheat days. This is something I have also decided to change to see if I start feeling more energetic and better overall throughout the day (less tummy aches).

Squat working set 115lbs

Dead lift working set 115lbs

Press 52.5lbs

Bench 60lbs

Row 70lbs

Diet Goal

My diet goal for this challenge is eating a Whole30 diet for 30 days. This goal began February 18th 2013.  I plan on continuing it through March 19th and at that time evaluating continuing it for one more week for this challenge.  Not eating grains is not that difficult for me. Eliminating cheese, a cheat day for my sweet tooth, no paleofying desserts or breakfast muffins, and NO ALCOHOL is difficult. Especially no alcohol, this is really the toughest but most needed. Not only do I use drinking to be more social in social events, to relax with my friends after a tough work week, but I DO make bad decisions, like skipping my workout or eating things I shouldn’t the next day.  Eliminating alcohol for a month will really help me put into perspective how alcohol impacts my life, choices, and how I deal with stress.

Fitness goal #1

Running goals:

1 long run per week

Increase sprints from 4 intervals to 8 intervals at .25 mi hard and .25 mi easy

1-2 sprints per week

Hiit:

4-5 x per week

Gluts:

2x per week

Fitness goal #2

Starting Strength:

3x per week

Increase working set squats to 120 lbs and be able to touch the squat box with my tush

Increase working set dead lifts to 125 lbs

Increase working set Press’s to 55 lbs

Increase Bench to 70 lbs

Level up your Life

I am going to level up my life by using yoga at least once a week to help me deal with mental stressor.  I have found (after only two yoga classes in a studio) that yoga not only relaxes me while in class but for the entire day.  I’d like to see if adding it into my life in a more stable interval will help me to deal with a lot of the stresses I have been facing.  I also think not drinking will contribute to leveling up my life and helping me deal with stress more effectively.

Grading to come

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 2 WIS: 2 CHA: 3

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

I think your deadlift goal should be 130 at least! If you can go 10 in bench you can go more in deadlift :P You're whole30 is going great I'm excited!

How do you plan to do yoga on weekends you have the kids?

Don't forget to put your challenge in your signature!

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

So here I am, finally, after realizing it was easier to navigate to your challenge with the new format.....Yeah I am an Ogre, so forgive me!

I am with Goodwince on the dead lift.  Why?  I don't really have a reason, but it looks attainable.

I am soooooo glad I found your challenge...for selfish reasons....I have been trying to get up early and workout...I can't get my body to workout with any intensity...but I may be able to do yoga.  THANK YOU!  It gave me a great idea!!!!

Now I am waiting for updates......Because I have no doubt you will do GREAT!

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

I think your deadlift goal should be 130 at least! If you can go 10 in bench you can go more in deadlift :tongue: You're whole30 is going great I'm excited!

How do you plan to do yoga on weekends you have the kids?

Don't forget to put your challenge in your signature!

Deadlifts seem to be really hard for me, just as hard as squats, plus my back aches sometimes after doing deadlifts (I'm sure due to form) so for that I feel like I should increase more slowly to maintain good form.  BUT maybe my coach will push my through and I'll go over my current goal of 125lbs.

On my weekends with the girls I plan on finding yoga either through On Demand, maybe do the P90X yoga (hint hint), or find something online.

So here I am, finally, after realizing it was easier to navigate to your challenge with the new format.....Yeah I am an Ogre, so forgive me!

I am with Goodwince on the dead lift.  Why?  I don't really have a reason, but it looks attainable.

I am soooooo glad I found your challenge...for selfish reasons....I have been trying to get up early and workout...I can't get my body to workout with any intensity...but I may be able to do yoga.  THANK YOU!  It gave me a great idea!!!!

Now I am waiting for updates......Because I have no doubt you will do GREAT!

I am glad you're going to try yoga.....I think it will help to start your day off right.  My main thing is figuring out a way to make myself workout when I am stressed.  I get so tired when I am stressed out that I don't want to move.  I have maintained my eating though even during stress which I am happy about.  Last night I really didn't have the energy to cook so I made three eggs, had pineapple, and almonds.  LOL.

I can't wait to go over and peek on your challenge!

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Thank you for all the luck!! :-)  I am going to need it to motivate me haha.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

So this week I did very well with Whole30.  I am annoyed I have to buy the only bacon I'm allowed to have online so I am forgoing bacon for now.  I didn't realize all bacon some how has sugar involved.

I am eating probably more fruit and nuts than I should but so much stuff is cut out I'm not going to stress over it.

Workout wise:

Starting Strength= 3 days

Hiit= 4 days

Sprint= 2 days

Yoga= 1 day

Hike= 1 day

Long run (6 miles)= 1 day

What about your long run?  I have been waiting to hear.

My run went very well.  I was really nervous that it was going to be super difficult.  I ended up running my 6 miles with a 8.58 average pace. I was really excited because I didn't lose too much during my 6 month break speed/endurance wise.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

So this week I did very well with Whole30.  I am annoyed I have to buy the only bacon I'm allowed to have online so I am forgoing bacon for now.  I didn't realize all bacon some how has sugar involved.

I am eating probably more fruit and nuts than I should but so much stuff is cut out I'm not going to stress over it.

Workout wise:

Starting Strength= 3 days

Hiit= 4 days

Sprint= 2 days

Yoga= 1 day

Hike= 1 day

Long run (6 miles)= 1 day

My run went very well.  I was really nervous that it was going to be super difficult.  I ended up running my 6 miles with a 8.58 average pace. I was really excited because I didn't lose too much during my 6 month break speed/endurance wise.

That is GREAT!  Glad to hear it is going well.  Keep at it!

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

This week I am disappointed that I did not get in a long run.  I had a lot going on and those priorities took precedents.  I still feel bad about it even if it's silly to feel bad that other things more important came up.

I stuck through Whole30 even with huge carrot cake cupcakes staring at me.  I wanted a bite soooooo bad.  My parents are killing me, not only did they by the carrot cake they had banana split ingredients.  My daycare made lemon bars with my daughters so those were also looking at me.  It was ridiculous.  I kept telling myself one more week and I will have completed 30 days.  I can do it.  I was craving really hard this weekend without having temptation in my face every day to add to my cravings.

I signed up for a free week of yoga with a different studio.  I ended up in a class that felt like a sauna.  My friend thought it was our normal hot yoga :-).  Nope it was a steam yoga setting at 103 degrees.  Shockingly I made it though after already having a hard workout.

My workouts this week included:

Yoga: 2x

Starting Strength: 3x

Sprint: 2x one indoor on a treadmil and one outdoor

Gluts: 2x

Hiit: 4x

Yoga really is helping to relax me.  This week my classes were at night so I didn't feel the relaxation through the whole day but I did wake up feeling more at ease.  This week I am going to take three yoga classes (use up my free ones while I can since I couldn't use them this weekend).  We'll see how taking more yoga impacts me this week.

Not drinking even though it’s been three weeks has still been hard.  I realized it's not the drinking I am actually missing; it's the sense of release I receive from drinking that I miss.  The sense of not having to be in perfect control, the sense of freedom, letting loose, it's emotions I miss more than the act of drinking.  I have never been a big drinker nor cared about it but that changed with my friends.  Part of the hardness is because I have told myself no so instinctively I want to do it more, and the other part is I was able to connect better with my friends during drinking.  It's been interesting to work on letting loose and connecting on the same level without drinking, so far it has been pretty successful.  The hardest time I had was at a party with friends but it really wasn't as bad as I expected.  Tuesday will be a good challenge for me because I'll be in an even bigger drinking situation at a bar for my friend’s good bye party.  The weekend will also be tough because I'll be hanging out with my drinking girl friends and being so close to the end it's going to be hard to fight temptation of feeling included in the drinking fiascos. Stopping drinking was never ever a planned intention.  I enjoy drinking, well the connection with my friends, so for me it was always I’ll work on everything else health wise but I’ll never stop drinking.  The other thing I have found is when I am out with my friends and we are drinking I also have more energy during that time even though the next day my energy is very depleted.  I love not feeling like that as far as the next day goes.  I am going to have to figure out a way to not become bored on Tuesday and tired because I am not drinking.

Have a great week and good luck on this weeks goals!

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

This week I am disappointed that I did not get in a long run.  I had a lot going on and those priorities took precedents.  I still feel bad about it even if it's silly to feel bad that other things more important came up.

Not drinking even though it’s been three weeks has still been hard.  I realized it's not the drinking I am actually missing; it's the sense of release I receive from drinking that I miss.  The sense of not having to be in perfect control, the sense of freedom, letting loose, it's emotions I miss more than the act of drinking.  I have never been a big drinker nor cared about it but that changed with my friends.  Part of the hardness is because I have told myself no so instinctively I want to do it more, and the other part is I was able to connect better with my friends during drinking.  It's been interesting to work on letting loose and connecting on the same level without drinking, so far it has been pretty successful.  The hardest time I had was at a party with friends but it really wasn't as bad as I expected.  Tuesday will be a good challenge for me because I'll be in an even bigger drinking situation at a bar for my friend’s good bye party.  The weekend will also be tough because I'll be hanging out with my drinking girl friends and being so close to the end it's going to be hard to fight temptation of feeling included in the drinking fiascos. Stopping drinking was never ever a planned intention.  I enjoy drinking, well the connection with my friends, so for me it was always I’ll work on everything else health wise but I’ll never stop drinking.  The other thing I have found is when I am out with my friends and we are drinking I also have more energy during that time even though the next day my energy is very depleted.  I love not feeling like that as far as the next day goes.  I am going to have to figure out a way to not become bored on Tuesday and tired because I am not drinking.

I know how you feel about the run, I didn't get my run in either.  Ugly week for me.

I want to preface this with, I know we all have our own drinking associations and reasons etc.  I like good beer and good whiskey.  I find that I rarely drink more than two drinks with the exception of my birthday.  Because I sit and enjoy the drink.  As big as I am, I don't get drunk easily, and although I did drink a lot when I was younger I always felt like crap the next day, sometimes two.

So having said all of that.  I am curious to ask if you have considered the psychology of what you have said?  You connect better with your friends.  Is that because you are less reserved when drinking, a little less inhibited?  I am curious because I never got that feeling when I was drinking with friends on a regular basis.  The other thing is that you get bored and tired.  I understand that, as I have been the DD often.  But for me it made me realize that MY friends weren't as interesting drunk as I thought they were when I was also drunk......but that meant that I probably wasn't that interesting drunk either.....Not that it stopped me :panda:   Again, I am NOT anti drinking.  I like it!  I just felt that, for me, how I drank and how I spent my time changed when I realized how it fit in my life.

I went Saturday night and had a few glasses of wine with friends.  We played cards, but it was a good group.  I realized that I don't drink in the manner I used to drink.  So your comments on drinking jumped out at me if this extensive missive did not already indicate such.

Get a long run in!

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

I have considered it.  I'm just more open when drinking....good and bad.  It's not my friends fault I'm that way it's mine.  My friends being drunk around me when I am not drinking doesn't make me find them less interesting, it only gets annoying when I have been in situations where lots of people are drunk and I'm not, that I DO not enjoy because yes they ALL think they are extra interesting and NO they are not, especially not all of them LOL.  I can handle a few friends being drunk around me and it doesn't bother me.  The thing is alcohol gives me energy...so when everyone else is drinking and I am not...I get tired after a while like I would if I was at home, whereas when I'm drinking and in the moment more I don't think about time.  When I am not drinking I pay attention to how late it is.  Tuesday night really wasn't bad.  I didn't feel like drinking and didn't miss it.  Watching my friend get smashed was quite entertaining.  I used to really not care about drinking.  You are the company you keep and since my friends care about drinking and use it as a social anchor so do I.  One thing though is I don't handle negative feelings well while drunk.  This not drinking for a month is making me think about being more selective with drinking depending on my emotional health at the time.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

I have considered it.  I'm just more open when drinking....good and bad.  It's not my friends fault I'm that way it's mine.  My friends being drunk around me when I am not drinking doesn't make me find them less interesting, it only gets annoying when I have been in situations where lots of people are drunk and I'm not, that I DO not enjoy because yes they ALL think they are extra interesting and NO they are not, especially not all of them LOL.  I can handle a few friends being drunk around me and it doesn't bother me.  The thing is alcohol gives me energy...so when everyone else is drinking and I am not...I get tired after a while like I would if I was at home, whereas when I'm drinking and in the moment more I don't think about time.  When I am not drinking I pay attention to how late it is.  Tuesday night really wasn't bad.  I didn't feel like drinking and didn't miss it.  Watching my friend get smashed was quite entertaining.  I used to really not care about drinking.  You are the company you keep and since my friends care about drinking and use it as a social anchor so do I.  One thing though is I don't handle negative feelings well while drunk.  This not drinking for a month is making me think about being more selective with drinking depending on my emotional health at the time.

I really admire that you are considering what you are seeing.  That is the whole point isn't it?  I am, as many are, surrounded by people that don't consider what is actually going on around them.  I believe an experiment is worth the effort if we learn something from it.  Even if we just learn that we were right in the first place.

How is the running coming along?

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

I have a plan in my head to run 8 miles tomorrow.  I did one sprint so far this week and increased it to six intervals which equals 3 miles.  In the next two weeks I plan on increasing by one interval so that by the end of the challenge I have hit my 8 intervals which is what I was at when I was running a lot.  As far as getting my speed back that’s a slower process.  I'm doing so much more than I was when I was just running so I do over do it at times and I'm trying to move slower with my speed recover.  At the moment its more about getting the endurance back.  I might sign up for a trail half that will be at the end of April but I haven't committed yet.  How are you feeling about your running?

Your correct seeing what going on around me and inside of me is the point.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

How do I feel about my running?

I try not to feel.  I am not being glib, I am being honest.  I try to look at it as a step toward reaching a specific goal.  Because during the run, everything sucks.  I feel okay after and I am glad I did it, but I don't like doing it.  At ALL!  So I just do it knowing it is to reach a goal.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

How do I feel about my running?

I try not to feel.  I am not being glib, I am being honest.  I try to look at it as a step toward reaching a specific goal.  Because during the run, everything sucks.  I feel okay after and I am glad I did it, but I don't like doing it.  At ALL!  So I just do it knowing it is to reach a goal.

Sometimes it's hard for me to motivate myself to run.  I do have days where I enjoy the run while I am doing it and days where I am just pushing myself to my half way point because I won't quit on the way back.  I ran Sunday and my legs were tight and just not feeling it.  I ended up running pretty quick 8:40 ave pace which I was happy about but I've been paying for it for the last two days.  My legs are sore!  I was going to do my starting strength yesterday but instead I did an abs hiit and gluts because my legs couldn't take any more abuse.

I am finished with my Whole30 today.  I am very glad I did it and made it through even though some days were rough.  Tomorrow morning I am measuring and weighing to see what has changed.  My plan for adding foods back in hasn't been officially hatched yet.

Last week’s workouts included:

Yoga= 1 day

SS= 3 days: increased squats to 120 lbs, deads to 120 lbs, and bench to 65 lbs

Gluts= 2 days

Long run= 1 day: 7 miles

Hiit= 4

Sprint= 1 day: increased to 6 intervals

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

Congradulations on your completion of the Whole30!  YAY!

It looks like you are still getting a good amount of exercise even with the delayed strength training. 

If your legs were too sore, it was probably better to delay so that you can get a full on strength training started.

My calves are usually the worst to get cramps and be tight.  But they are 24" around, so when they cramp it is brutal.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

I finally moved up in weight with my strength training.  I hit 120lbs with my squats, I hit 125lbs yesterday with my dead, I hit 55lbs with my presses, so I feel good about that.  I didn't sprint yet this week because of I am going through a rough time right now.  Hopefully I can get a long run in on Sunday.  I might try to sprint at home tonight....street sprinting is so much harder LOL.  I know it's good for me but it's HARD.  I also haven't don’t yoga yet.  I was supposed to go yesterday with a friend but due to life changes that didn't get to happen.  It would have been fun.

I haven't had my calves cramp in a long time.  The last time my calves cramped up really bad was my last trail run in Malibu.  OH MY GOSH they hurt so bad.  Really long runs wreck my calves.  Speaking of trail runs I need to deided whether or not to sign up for one.

BruteSquad, since it's basically just you and I on here can I ask your advice.  I've seen you advice on some things and your very wise.  I need wisdom right now.  

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

I must first say I am humbled that you consider my words wise.  And I will be happy to tell you my opinion, but realize that it is only my opinion based on the information you have given me.

First, it is my opinion if you really love someone, that love is yours.  They cannot hurt you with your love.  In a relationship, when you love someone, they owe you nothing.  Outside of any financial agreements you may have made, they owe you nothing.  You may hope for love, affection, attention and a life together.  But they owe you nothing, and you owe them nothing.  You give love, and they give love, but neither OWES love.  And at some point you may have to accept that it won't work.

Now, I believe that, but I also know that once in a relationship there are about a million emotions to deal with and a million decisions you have to make.  So the practical application can be tricky.

I think what you may want to do, and you may have already done this, but before looking at moving forward you have to own what was done.  This is very important, you must own it in a manner or language that he understands that you really own it.  No excuses, just that you did something that hurt him and you cannot justify the action.  I have apologized for misdeeds in the past only to find out later that I was not speaking her language and she did not realize that I really was serious and had put thought into what I had done, was seriously sorry, and had learned from the experience and was looking to avoid that behavior in the future.  I had to find words that were her internal language. 

Now if you can do that, the next step is to rebuild trust.  That is never easy.  That is because of the idea that no one owes you something just because you love or care about them.  They have to be willing to forgive the hurt.  They have to be willing to really try and move forward with you.  If not, it won't matter what you do, it is over.  Is it fair?  The truth is, it doesn't matter.  One person cannot do enough by themselves to make a relationship work.

If he is willing to go to counseling with you, that means that he still cares for you.  Doesn't mean it will work out, but it means that he cares.  Let me tell you about plans.......they never survive contact with the enemy.......But without some kind of plan there is no way to get where you want to go.  So let me propose the following (assuming he is willing to participate).

Take a moment, and let go of all the ideas you have about what this relationship was or is.  Look at the man he is, not the man he will be, or could be or even was.  Let go of any expectation or future.  Now, look at your plan...does it survive?  If the plan is based on past behavior and assumptions, it is doomed as the behavior and assumptions lead to where you are.  If it survives, great; if not throw it out and rethink it.  When you present any plan to him, be prepared to modify, change, or even trash it if he has ideas or problems with parts of it.  You may have a plan, but it will have to be negotiated to fit both parties.  Make sure you are really listening to what he says and not focusing on how you feel about what is said.

When we let someone inside our weird little world, we don't let everyone in the back room.  That place where our fears, self-doubt, hopes, dreams, and all the dirt and grit of our lives resides.  In that room others can do great damage as we have all our emotion, self image, self love and loathing stacked high and a mindless action can cause it all to fall and shatter.  To keep access to that room, we have to be respectful of what we do in their world, even if our little weird world is crumbling.  If we feel insecure, if we are in a bad place, it is better to simply say it out loud to that person.  To say I am having a rough time and I don't like myself right now or I am not feeling like the beautiful woman I want to feel like or I am not being the man I should be.  Not easy to do, but it is the right thing, and it becomes easier to do.

I don't know if that covers it.  But feel free to let me know if I can help or explain something I have said in a better manner.

Big Hugs and Brute Love.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

I have seen your advice on many things and I really appreciate your words, wisdom, and vision.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

My workouts this week haven't been amazing. 

Sprints: 0

Long run: 0

Starting Strength: 3 days

Hiit: 2

Yoga: 0

Glutes: 0

So this past week was a failure.  I was also planning on sticking to my Whole30.....ummmmm nope.  Saturday my daughters made cookies and I ate them.  Yesterday I had more cookies, chips, and ice cream.  BUT I'm not sad about it.  It's been 5 weeks since I have eaten things I shouldn't. 

My non drinking has continued though.  At this point I am enjoying it.  I stopped drinking not just for Whole30, because I said I would never stop drinking, it was the one thing I wouldn't cut out, but because it was negatively impacting people I cared about.  I see it so clear now, after stepping away from drinking, I look at myself and realize I can't drink if I am not in a happy.  I'm happy with the decision.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

I say kudos on the realization with drinking!  And yay for daughter's cookies!  Those always come with extra love!

The Brave Girl class sounds interesting.  I plan to look it up as I have some friends that may benefit from something like that.  Women so often are taught implicitly or even explicitly to trust what others think to judge their value.  If you have daughters you will do a great thing by teaching them that they are worthy of love and should be a person they can love without depending on external sources to tell them they are valuable.  They are watching.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Hey there! Stumbled upon your thread, and don't want to impose, but wanted to tell you great job with your goals! :)

Not sure what you're going through, but sounds like you're being open and honest in trying to evaluate where you are yourself and in your life. Sometimes being brave enough to truly see ourselves and not the idea of who we wish we were, or how we wish our relationship was... it takes guts to be that vulnerable. Kudos to you for working through it.

Level 1 Centaur Scout / Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3 Accountability Spreadsheet   Current challenge

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

~Earl Nightingale

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines