Combat Sports with Mostly Dudes...

FyreFlies

I've been wanting to take Jiu Jitsu and/or Maui Thai for like EVER. I've even called around and grilled people on their programs. The issue.. about 95% of the people in the sessions are dudes. I'm hoping that once I get to England (next month hopefully) I find some women-only sparring classes. But what if I can't? How do I get past this stumbling block to doing what I want to do?

It's not that I'm sexist or anything - I'm just a little shy and find it intimidating training with dudes.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I've done BJJ for nearly 5 years. I've trained some MMA, as well, with my academy. When I started, I was the only female. Was for the first several years, actually. Eventually someone's girlfriend started, and now several other women train with us. But there are still weeks and even months where I train only with guys because none of the women come in at the same time I do.

My first day of training, I sat in my car for a good 10 minutes beforehand, giving myself a pep talk to get in the door. I personally had no issue with the class being all-male, but walking through a strange door and talking to strange people was way outside my comfort zone. In the end, I just decided to do it. Ignore the little voice in my head that was screaming at me to stop, and just go.

A good school will pair you up with experienced guys who they trust to help you and not hurt you. Most experienced guys are completely fine with any female coming in, and they don't mind helping you because they know that you'll pay attention and will try to do exactly what they say (and not try some "UFC" stuff you saw on "The YouTube", like most new guys do). The experienced guys will also understand how hard you're trying since they know how hard this is, especially when you're smaller and/or weaker than your training partners, and I guarantee they will respect you for sticking with it.

Not all guys training BJJ are going to be UFC-wannabe meatheads. In fact, most won't be, because those guys "lose" too often for their ego to handle, and they quit.

(Also, I don't know where you'll be in England, but http://www.megjitsu.com/ will list women's open mats that take place around London and/or elsewhere. And Meg's awesome and I'm sure could help you with any other questions you have about any school over there.)

If you have any other questions about BJJ or training, just let me know!

Hello! Thanks so much for your post. I think for me, maybe I can get past dudes touching me (which I don't generally allow), but I think what's REALLY going on in my head is that maybe they'll laugh at me. I still need a month or two to really get in the zone and train up my body to be able to handle that much impact.

I've lost over 110 lbs over the past couple years, so my training is just now getting into the strength part of it. I worry about not being able to keep up with the dudes when it comes to doing the boxing circuits they make you do BEFORE the sparring. Can you tell me a little about those? I've heard that they make you do like a gazillion push ups - again I'm worried that I'll be laughed at or something.

I've taken cardio kickboxing, which is a lot different than what I heard mma or bjj is. I've also done some work with bags when I first started losing weight, but haven't since then. But that's about as far as my combat skills go.

I think maui thai - stand up striking is really what I'm looking for rather than grappling. Don't care about being a "UFC" girl, although I watch it, it's not real to me. I just want to be healthy and strong. This all is something I wanna do to sculpt my body to be the way I want it to be.

Can you tell me how the bjj program in your gym is laid out?

Thanks again and sorry for all the annoying questions.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Not annoying at all. Believe me, I've been there. And when I started, it was much harder to find other women who were also doing it.

Warning: brain dump ahead!

First, most new guys are also terrified of being laughed at. Guaranteed. 

Honestly, if the guys already training do laugh at anybody, it will be the new guy who thinks he knows what he's doing (but is really doing it all wrong while saying that he does know. Seriously, most guys do not know the difference between a jab and a cross, but they pretend they do, and then we spend an entire hour of MMA class doing jabs, then crosses, then jab/cross, then -- guys we just did the jab for ten minutes why can't you get it right? Watch her and do it like her since she actually listened). Even then, it will mostly be eyerolls and side comments among each other; there's rarely a time when a new guy will be singled out for humiliation in front of the whole class. The few times it has happened at my gym, there's been a good reason. But the guys are also quick to forget and to be impressed when someone works hard.

They won't laugh at the new girl who's listening seriously and trying her hardest to do what they showed her. If you do find a gym that laughs at you just for being female or inexperienced in something you've never done before, then it's not a good gym. And again, experienced guys won't laugh. They'll understand how hard you're working. Maybe some new immature guys will laugh, but they'll quit soon anyway because it's "too hard" or because their ego can't handle it. (Also likely -- if the experienced guys hear the new guys making fun of you, the experienced guys will stick up for you and/or teach the idiot to a very physical lesson.)

(The only time the class did laugh at me for not being able to do something was on bag hangs -- jump around a heavy bag, clasping your hands and feet, and hang there for several minutes. My hands and feet did not reach around far enough to hold each other, and I was so sweaty that I kept sliding off. They found this terribly funny and kept laughing. I had been having a terrible day up to that point anyway and did not find it amusing. Now it's funny.)

A gym should expect that when you walk in, you have zero experience. They should expect that you don't have the same conditioning as the guys who have trained for years. They should have either an introductory/beginner program or instructors who will take the time to work with you individually (or pair you with experienced guys who can help). They should keep things at your pace. They know that you don't know what to do, that you're going to ask a lot of questions that seem obvious to everyone else, and that you're going to do things wrong -- and it's their job to teach you how to do it right.

My BJJ gym has a "Fundamentals" class (which means there's usually not any live rolling) and an "Intermediate/Advanced" class, but anyone can attend either classes. There's usually a warmup, then drilling techniques, with any rolling at the end. If you're new, the instructor points out a blue or purple belt to help you during the warmup. When we pair up to drill, it's blue/purple/brown with white belts whenever possible. Pairing up is generally by relative size, too (though I, at 5'2"/130lbs, have at times drilled with the 6'6"/260lbs dude, because that's just how it worked out). In the Fundamentals class, we often do "positional sparring" -- start in one position, e.g., mount; bottom person has to escape, top person can submit; once either objective is obtain, restart in mount and repeat -- rather than full rolling. Or if we do full rolling, brand-new people are encouraged to sit out and watch since they don't know what to do.

We also have a Muay Thai class. I don't do it, but I often watch and I did the MMA class we used to have. Classes start with a warmup (generally shadow boxing, as we don't have any heavy bags in this space). Then drilling a technique with a partner, with gloves and pads. Sometimes, then, they do timed rounds of that same technique, again with the partner holding pads but now with speed and more power behind the technique. Sometimes they do timed rounds of light contact sparring -- and anyone who doesn't know what "light contact" means will get chewed out for going too hard. Maybe once a week, though depending on guys' fight training schedules, they'll have full contact sparring rounds.

You most likely won't be able to keep up on any warmup. And there's honestly little you can do to prepare for that. I thought I was in decent workout shape, but my first day of BJJ, we were doing drills straight down the mat, then running back to the start to repeat; shortly in, after one of those drills, I just kept crawling off the mat and right up in to a chair. And I sat there for the rest of the class. The instructor was concerned that I was hurt, but I was actually debating passing out or puking. Did some moron laugh at me? Maybe. But I came back the next class, determined to finish the warmup. I didn't finish it then, either. I eventually worked up to finishing *1* trip of every warmup drill (I was so proud!), and then worked up to the 2 or 3 everyone else did.

But once I stopped focusing entirely on me, I noticed something: most new guys struggle on the warmup. Even some of the not-new guys. Sometimes they can't finish, either. Sometimes they leave the mat to puke. And the majority of those guys only train for a week or so, and then they leave. Even the guys who stay will struggle on the warmup for a while. I still sometimes get destroyed on the warmup if my instructor is being evil and will start to feel like a failure, and then I'll overhear experienced guys mentioned that today's warmup killed them, too. 

I still cannot do forwards or backwards rolls more than 1 trip. My motion sickness shows up, and I have a bad time the rest of the night. So I just do what I can. I still do push-ups on my knees sometimes. I can keep up on normal pushups for a while, but then my shoulders are done and I go to my knees and if someone laughs he's a moron and is watching me when he ought to be doing pushups.

I give the absolute best I can. I liken it to a cup: my cup might be a shot glass, but I'm going to turn it upside down and pour everything out. The dude with the Big Gulp cup might give you twice as much volume-wise as I do, but he hasn't emptied his cup yet. And my coach and some teammates have told me before that they know I'm giving 100% and they admire me for it, even if it seems like an overall pitiful effort to anyone else.

I think your post has just changed my life. I'm printing it out and holding onto it.

I've never once thought that the dudes might be struggling just as badly as me. That's quite the eye opener. Thanks so much for all that information. I feel more confident than ever that I can do this. Like you, I want to do things and do them right - giving everything I've got. I hope you don't mind if I get in contact with you privately once I actually take the class to talk some things through with you.

Again, I'm moving in about a month and the very first thing I'll be doing is finding a good club to train maui thai at.

Ps: have you thought of becoming a trainer? I know a lot of girls shy away from doing any combat training because of some of the issues we discussed in this thread. Your words would encourage lots of other girls to get into the that type of training.

Thanks a million!

Contact me any time -- I'm happy to help. I have a blog, http://bjjgrrl.wordpress.com/, that I've kept since I started BJJ; that's probably the surest way to find me. There's a lot more links, information, and other blogs there, too, about being women in the combat sports. One thing I have found over the years is that everyone goes through a similar set of experiences when training -- I sometimes write about something that I think is unique to me, and other people, even female black belts, will respond that they've experienced the same thing. Blows my mind every time. This is why now, when we have new girls in class or someone asks me a question, I'm quick to point out the struggles I've gone through/am going through, so that we all realize how much we have in common. There's a quote about how we compare our insides to other people's outsides, and so we always seem to come up short.

Oh, yeah, the day I noticed that the other guys, even those who had been training a while, were also struggling with the warmup was a huge eye-opener for me. As was the day I figured out that the reason I seemed to always be "last" on the drills was that the slower guys were skipping the last set so they wouldn't be last. That pissed me off so much!! Then just last week, one of my favorite training partners, who I swear is a Jedi Master at BJJ (he just thinks about sweeping me and I fall over), admitted that he is just now starting to figure out some of the "feeling" of sweeps, when I would have said that he's known it for years. I think guys are just less likely to admit that they're having problems, lol.

OMG BESTEST THREAD EVER!

I started MMA in December.  I went with a different take than bjjgrrl - I wanted to box and then got swept up in Muay Thai.  How many women my age walk into a gym b/c they want to learn to box?  I'm talking old school boxing is what I wanted.  *swoon* am in love with it. 

bjjgrrl said it all.  Find an MMA gym with a fundamentals class and go to that class.  Mine did it soooo well.  Loved every minute.  It will really help teach you the basics so you'll feel comfortable in a regular class.  I went to fundamentals for about 45 days (the "rule" at our gym) before moving into the regular class and was still blown away in regular class.  BUT the instructors are simply awesome - mine are there b/c they love the sport and love teaching.  BTW, my gym also teaches little kids - same coaches.  I think that helps.  Anyone who works with little kids has a higher tolerance for newbies.  IMHO. 

As for laughing - ain't nobody gonna laugh at you.  That's why fundamentals is a great class to start in.  Everybody is new.  At any respectable gym, UFC crazy wannabes will not survive bc they are dangerous in the gym.  They don't care about technique, etc.  Instructors will reign them in.  I've been in classes where people are warned about how hard to not hit, when to kick full force and when not to do so, and I've seen coaches actually reign in a guy who insisted on doing the wrong type of kick (I think it was karate but not MT).  Top notch coaching makes a world of difference and will make you both safe and comfortable.  When a guy hits you with the gloves on, it's safe.  Make sure your gym uses lots of pads.

The folks who are really serious about learning and fitness will stay.  And they will come in all shapes and sizes.  Some will be really big, some will be really skinny.  But the ones who stick it all out will be safe partners.  I love working with more advanced students.  I explain I'm new and they are awesome. 

I've only run into one or two guys who aren't willing or comfortable hitting a woman.  They usually get over it.  To be honest, most guys are fine with it.  Even my coaches use women in demos. 

Actually, I've had more issues with women not wanting to get hit or kicked and not kicking/hitting hard enough than issues with men being appropriate.  The serious women stay, the others move on.

There is no inappropriate touching.  At a good gym, it won't happen and coaches won't tolerate it.  don't worry.  It's just boxing or kicking. 

To be honest, b/c I'm in really good shape, I could beat the pants off most of the guys at warm up and drills.  LOL.  they found that more intimidating.

Okay so in a nutshell:  I FREAKIN LOVE Muay Thai and boxing.  LOVE IT.  It's one of the best things I've ever done. 

What else would you like to know??? 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

the slower guys were skipping the last set so they wouldn't be last.

*GASP* Such cheaters! O_o

I think guys are just less likely to admit that they're having problems, lol. 

Absolutely. I neglected to mention that my guy is a kickboxer and practices both bjj and maui thai. I don't want to ask him about it because I don't think he'd truely understand where I'm coming from. And also, I want to sort of surprise him once I do actually start practicing.

Although I'm worried about the warmups, I've also got a teenie tiny bit of faith. I'm an avid 3 days a week heavy lifter and I do an intense boxing circuit consisting of all body weight exercises the other 3 days a week. Add yoga and meditation and cardio (jogging/x-trainer) to the mix, and I'm that girl. But I guess it's just like me to double-triple guess myself.

I've got your link saved BJJ and will definately be checking it out and keeping in touch.

OMG BESTEST THREAD EVER!

Totally. ;)

I went and observed a few gyms here in Sacramento. Actually, I'm a freelance journalist besides all the other stuff I do. So I was writing an article on MMA. One session I sat in on had a class for kids as well. I was like.. okay, when I DO get into this, that's who I'm gonna spar with. lol. So I know what you mean when you say that those clubs are more tolerant of newbs.

There is no inappropriate touching.  At a good gym, it won't happen and coaches won't tolerate it.  don't worry.  It's just boxing or kicking. 

Lol. The reason why I asked about that was because one of the sessions I went to observe, one of the guys was flirting with me and was like "Lemme show you the moves," I was like - erm, no thanks, I'm not in the class YET. O_o .. so I worry about that too. I'm a taken woman!

For Maui Thai, what do the warm up drills look like? I haven't practiced kicking in a while, should I start practicing my kicks again if I'm interested in MT? Again, I have a month or so to work with. What should I be doing in preparation for what I'm heading for?

Thanks for posting, I love that there's other (normal) chicas doing what I'm interested in doing. That's really encouraging.

bjjgrrl: your post made the thought of martial arts training so much less scary... I've been looking for a new sport, but hate being singled out as the weak one, even if I give it my all.  Your post gives me hope that when I feel ready, I will not be laughed at for trying (unless I do something dumb, and in that case as embarrassed as I am, it is fair game).

Fyreflies and silverpeacock: don't prep, don't practice, don't sweat it. It's like anything else you've ever done- yoga, running, etc. make sure you go to a gym that offer "beginners" classes for a while. You'll be with all beginners, you'll learn their vibe, the school's approach, how they teach, etc. for example, I have two coaches who number punches differently. Took me a long time to figure it out.

Our warm up drills for Muay Thai are about 5 mins jump rope, 90s burpees, 2 mins jumping jacks, combos of sit-ups, push-ups,jump squats (usually 2 sets of 10). 2 rounds of shadow boxing. For boxing we do plank variations. Sometimes we jog around or sprint.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I lift/strength train 3 x week, MT 2 x, boxing 1x, and run occasionally. You'll be fine. I'm in better shape than a lot of people there.

I would never go to a gym where a guy came on to me. That's unacceptable. Our guys are super friendly and I often hug one of them but it's friend hugs. All the women at my gym are very comfortable.

Don't practice kicks, let them teach you.

I AM going the distance

Wow Cline. You must be quite fit. lol.

Thanks for the info, that sorta tells me where I need to be when I do join. I admire you and BJJ a lot for doing what is known to be a guy thing. I appreciate your help. Will keep you guys updated on my status and how it works out for me.

It's one of those things you just will do it when you decide you want to do it badly enough.

I went to an almost all male school- with an almost all male degree, worked 5 years in an almost all male job, and then moved on to another an almost all male job. I have one EXTREEeeeeeeeeeeeemely female dominated hobby (I bellydance and conversely sew my costumes)- and then I ride motorcycles- aggressively- at the track- which is again- mostly male- and my first track day- I showed up with a motorcycle in the back of a horse trailer- that I didn't tie down well enough and had to go get help righting and unloading.  Shit happens.

When you want to do it badly enough- you just do it.

Don't worry about not being prepared.  There is never a day in your life when you will be "fit enough", or have enough money- or have enough time.   You're always going to get beat up- and the warm up will ALWAYS kick your ass.... but it is what it is.

Things happen when you want them to because that's what you want- and you find a way at all cost to make it happen.  

Sure there is usually ONE douche who will talk trash- either around you- or behind your back but really the ONLY thing people care about is that you a. show up and b. work hard.

working hard is the # 1 way to carve out your nitch in the group.  Even if you are on the verge of dying- don't quit.  determination wins people over in situations like that.  Determination and the drive to learn. 

You'll have fun.  My rooomate/bestfriend is 5'5" and 125 lbs soaking wet and trained with them- and they were serious- some of the guys she sparred with were actual amature fighters.  I got to dink around with them but I just didn't have time- coupled with the fact I have this thing... I break easily.  So the heavy striking and stuff- was brutal on me.  it sucked- I loved it- although BJJ was more my thing.  

Krav Maga is my "bucket list" thing. I just need to find a way to add more hours to my day.  

Hi I-Jo, thanks for your post.

I love that you've got the best of both worlds - you can be feminine with your dancing and clothes, but can delve into the guy world and do aggressive things too. For me, I held back for many years, because I want to be feminine and not dudely. It's not until I started talking to my bf a few years ago that I got involved in strength training and all that jazz.

Your guy's posts have excited me. I can't wait now to start this thing. lol.

Sorry to jump on here randomly, but I've always wanted to try some kind of martial arts/self-defense/punching someone workout for a couple of reasons: 1) I have some pent up rage that would probably be best expressed with boxing. 2) I feel really vulnerable because I really have NO idea how to defend myself. I've never even thrown a punch in my life! And 3) I just think it's badass to learn to use your body that way.

This post has definitely given me motivation to look into it once my schedule opens up. I need to get into this and see what it's all about. So thanks everyone for your inspiring posts!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Sorry to jump on here randomly, but I've always wanted to try some kind of martial arts/self-defense/punching someone workout for a couple of reasons: 1) I have some pent up rage that would probably be best expressed with boxing. 2) I feel really vulnerable because I really have NO idea how to defend myself. I've never even thrown a punch in my life! And 3) I just think it's badass to learn to use your body that way.

This post has definitely given me motivation to look into it once my schedule opens up. I need to get into this and see what it's all about. So thanks everyone for your inspiring posts!

Yea!  glad you are interested!  Woot!

But, realize MMA and boxing is really less about hitting things and more about technique.  Our class got a whole lecture on it last night - technique technique technique.  If you just aim to hit stuff to get rage out, you can get hurt, learn bad form, etc.  Be really careful.  It's a sport. I also know that some guys at our gym are sometimes asked to leave b/c they just want to hit stuff hard - doesn't work well in partner drills. 

Also, boxing is not the same thing as self defense.  AT ALL!  I would never ever rely on anything I'm learning for actual self defense.  I wouldn't rely on much learned in a self defense class, either.  But if you are worried - take self defense, not boxing.  No one is going to come at you with boxing gloves, a boxer's stance, and toss a hook for you to guard.  It doesn't happen like that.  Take self defense and think of boxing as a sport. 

I AM going the distance

Sorry if I offended. I should have taken more time and think about what I wanted to say. Basically, I'm a pushover in life, very submissive. And I think it would give me a lot of confidence to try something like boxing, muay thai, or MMA, and maybe it would be a good place to channel those thoughts of, "why didn't I say anything back to that person when they were being mean!?" I guess that's what I meant about the pent up rage and vulnerability. Perhaps learning to fight back in a controlled setting with controlled technique would give me confidence to stand up for myself, especially in a work setting where you can't just mouth off to someone (no matter how much you want to).

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

No offense at all. Lots of people get into it for wrong reasons. Lots of people are confused.

Confidence - yes! But it's a sport. So confidence like any other sport. Like standing there waiting for a 90mph ball to be thrown at you or facing off against a 300 lb linebacker or diving into 22' of water.

It's just a sport.

You will develop confidence from skill, practice, self awareness, the exercise, etc.

Does this make sense? Think about it like crossfit for people or the way people feel after Zumba. Same thing.

I AM going the distance

I agree with Cline.

From what little I know about boxing from my bf - there's a lot of mental work involved too. You have to have extreme concentration, to know exactly what your body is doing and where it's going next. He also does a lot of meditation and tries to deal with the stuff that is lodged inside of him - putting it to rest.

All the boxers/fighters that I know - they're very calm people, amazingly. Snow, I'm thinking you will see another side of yourself if you got into something that takes this much out of you. You'll probably grasp a deeper understanding of life and be like - "all those people saying nonsense don't really matter in the end." One thing that amazes me about my guy is that he understands a lot of things. He applies the technique and concentration portion of boxing to all aspects of his life. He sees where people are coming from when they say the things they do, giving him the ability to let that person say whatever without it ever affecting him.

Like yoga - I think fighting releases something in us and connects us to our surroundings in a very different way.

Good post FF!  I totally agree.  I was watching a Muay Thai fight and the commentators were even talking about this saying "people think fighters are aggressive and angry but if you get to know them you'll see they just view it as a sport and are often really laid back people". 

Any sport is really awesome for concentration, knowing yourself, self discovery, concentration, etc. you just need to find the right one.  For some of us, it turns out it's boxing or something similar.  I have also dabbled in other sports over the years and of all the athletic pursuits I did - yoga did a lot for calming the mind and connecting me to my body. 

Boxing and fighting are really mentally tough!  I'm often mentally and physically exhausted.  You find out very quickly why amateur MT rounds are only 3 mins!!!  Ha ha ha! 

I AM going the distance

LOL. Yea, I asked him why his rounds were only 3 mins - he's an amateaur MT boxer. And he looked at me like O_o .. were you WATCHING the fights? haha!

Snow, where do you live? You and I should start these combat sports together and report on our results. These girls in the thread know what they're talking about and I plan to sap all the knowledge I can from them!

LOL. Yea, I asked him why his rounds were only 3 mins - he's an amateaur MT boxer. And he looked at me like O_o .. were you WATCHING the fights? haha!

Snow, where do you live? You and I should start these combat sports together and report on our results. These girls in the thread know what they're talking about and I plan to sap all the knowledge I can from them!

I'm in Houston TX. I need to start looking up places, but I honestly don't know where to start. Some of them are on yelp but those reviews aren't always reliable. Any ideas on how to find a good place?

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I'm in Houston TX. I need to start looking up places, but I honestly don't know where to start. Some of them are on yelp but those reviews aren't always reliable. Any ideas on how to find a good place?

I just did a quick yelp on "muay thai" and found this place, http://www.womenseliteboxing.com/ and I'm not sure how I feel about it... On one hand, cool! A boxing gym just for women! On the other hand, separate inherently means unequal. I want to go up against guys, not other women (no offense ladies) because I think it's good for me to have male opponents and it would be good for the guys to have female opponents. Althought a women's only gym would alleviate some of the initial stresses and fears discussed in this thread.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Whether it's a female-only club or a mixed-gender one, you'll still be starting at beginner level like me. So does it really matter? I'd love to start in a women's only gym then progress.

Also, don't go by what you find online. I have actually walked into some of the gyms and asked them questions. That way you'll know if the dude who's gonna be running the show is a cocky lil shit and if you can even train with him. For me - I want someone who's supportive and works me hard. If I was going to stay here in Cali, I'd know exactly what gym I'd sign up with, because I've talked to them directly.

But now I know what I'll be looking for when I get to England.

Ha ha hilarious!  I had the same feeling when I started and then after 2 rounds of shadow boxing I was sweatin!

I'm in Philly.  My dream is a women's only boxing gym like they have other places.  There is another person in the ranger challenges who just started MMA and I think there is another Jiu Jitsu woman around.

I AM going the distance