A Nerd's Home: How Do You Decorate?

Since the start of my challenge which involves redesigning my living space, I've been curious how you guys decorate your homes?

Does your home...

• ...look like a troll cave with posters on the wall?
  • ...only have nerdy things/genres?
  • ...only have stuff in certain rooms?
  • ...not have anything nerdy at all?

What kinds of things do you decorate with?

• Video game posters?
  • Memorabilia?
  • Models or action figures?
  • Prints?

I'd like to encourage you guys to post pics too. :)

I only have stuff in certain rooms, cause I don't know what I'm doing here. The stuff I have on my walls are mostly friends and family in cheap Walmart frames and some basic quotes and phrases from Hobby Lobby.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

My place (esp my living room) is really... cozy/worldly. Lots of rich earth tones, wood, and decor I've collected from my travels or inspired by my travels (glass vase from Belize, family pics from all over the world, Moroccan carved coffee table). Its only in the details you start noticing the silly things... mini smurfs (from the mcdonalds happy meals) tucked in weird places so it's like they're spying on us. And a Softimus Prime doll on my console table, next to my zombie and dinosaur coffee table books. 

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

I have small nerdy things mixed in with eclectic general articles, a few pieces of discount furniture (mostly solid wood, I loathe veneer and plastic), heaps of books, and numerous houseplants and geodes.  The small nerdy things include a Castle Crashers figurine on my computer, an unpainted wooden sword on the wall, a Tonberry cell phone charm, a mirror with a dragon etched on it, a clay ocarina on the shelf, and an Order of the Stick magnet on the fridge.  I like posters for decorating, but frankly I'm a little too old to have images of fictional characters plastered across my walls ;)  Currently the only posters are flowers and exotic landscapes. 

I only pick up accessories that have some personal meaning and make me smile, because my place is far too small to have knickknacks that don't make me smile.  I can't swear the place is junk free (paper always does seem to pile up), but I try not to import anything that doesn't have some meaning to me.  But you'd have to look fairly close to see the geekness.  I keep it low profile so as not to scare "normal" people who visit (not that anyone ever visits me, because my place is microscopic and I don't have a TV ... sigh).  And also because even if I wanted to invest in, say, a Han Solo carbonite coffee table, I have neither the space nor the money.

I always wanted to do a whole room in a geeky theme, but somehow never quite worked up the guts, or found the time to craft such things (and buying themed furniture is out of the question, I'd have to paint it myself and I'm not that good an artist).  My place is tasteful to the point of boredom.  I need to jazz it up, really.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I give you at least one wall of nerd.

scC4Scal.jpg

I am so, SO jealous.  All the epic nerdery.

I am fairly spartan when it comes to my decorations.  In my last apartment where I pretty much just had my bedroom was decorated with a giant bookshelf that had most of my books, and my TV and video games.  And interspersed were my Giant Microbes.  My bedroom now has one bookshelf (I refuse to say that books *aren't* decorations), a flag/poster from a band, a print of a Mucha painting, a signed Firefly image (Alan Tudyk on a print of Serenity over earth?  Win.), and a painting from a friend who needed help with rent.  At some point I'm going to get my 5th kyu certificate framed and hang that in my room, too.  But that's kind of it.  Too much stuff and I go crazy.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Oh hmmm let me just go room by room...

So the hallway has a Dango plushy (from anime Clannad) with a cowboy head. And a framed poster of 2 cheetahs.

Bedroom has more plushies, I had quite a collection one day when I was a kid, now I have less than 10. Also present on the wall is a piece of art my aunt made for me. And a key chain with pins from my Australia trip.

Kitty room has a magnet board with various magnets and my DVDs/CDs/Games collection. And my book closet.

Livingroom/kitchen has another magnet board with various magnets and paper. Another piece of art from the same aunt. A small canvas of Stitch (Disney!) And on the dresser with my tv are 3 photo frames and a digital photo frame I got from my grandma recently (not yet in use). Empty wall space where I want to hang art that was made for me on commission.

Mostly I have a pretty empty home? haha.

Couple fake plants and an actual plant.

2 candles.

Yep. That about covers decoration.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I only really decorate with nerd stuff in my makeshift studio. Lot's of guitar related stuff, as well as actual guitars, old records hanging on the wall, toy story stuff, star trek stuff, etc. Kind of all over the place, but I like it that way :D

The rest of the house is kinda of an eclectic style as well. Lot's of folk artsy stuff in the living room and master bedroom. Kitchen is some sort of purgatory that has no real theme. Laundry room is a damn mess that needs to be straightened out. Lot's of storage crates, a weight bench, and of course tons of laundry that needs to be done :\

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Obviously, we are Star Trek nerds. ;)

We have a cabinet in the living room with various collectibles. In the tv room, we have small framed movie posters for Star Wars s well as a few other 80s movies. We also have a picture signed by Shanter, Nimoy, and Kelley.

Anyone walking in our house would instantly see our nerdiness, and that's fine by me! We even had Star Trek themes throughout our wedding, including a Star Trek cake ( my avatar was our cake topper) :)

"The mountains are calling and I must go." ~ Muir

[fitbit] [battle log] [twitter]

I don't think my home is nerdy at all, come to think of it. I'm more about creature comforts... I just like things to be cozy, clean (but lived-in), and useable. Probably my nerdiest things on display are all my text books from college that I sent down from Alaska this winter when I went home. We just have some art and photography on our walls... but when you have roomies and don't know how long you'll be living in a place, I guess there's less of a desire to customize because you'll just be leaving it behind eventually. We also have several quail things. The quailiens are quail-nerds? Can't be helped ;)

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Slowly transitioning the front room of my house into a victorian/steampunk library/tropy room.  Started by painting the beam and post with metal paint.  Looks pretty cool.  Lots more to do though and framing stuff is stupid expensive.

[ Level 2 ]  1/2 Ogre Viking Adventurer

<Current Challenge>

Str 6 / Dex 3 / Sta 2 / Con 4.5 / Wis 6 / Int 5 / Cha 4

In My Backpack: Fire Flower Power Up,

I'll try and remember to take some pics tonight of where I currently live, although currently I have piles of DVD's and old Video Games that came out of storage that are lining the walls of my dining area.

Before moving to DC I owned a home that only I lived it, and I had a lot of stuff. Since DC, I have taken a much more minimalist approach. Going from a 3 bedroom house to a 625 sq/ft condo kinda makes you cut back.

Here are some pics I was able to find of my old den, remodeled bathroom, and kitchen, before moving up to DC...so these are about 5 years old. All of my geeky stuff is either well hidden (box above double windows is a 92" pulldown screen, and behind where the den pics are being taken is a rack with 10+ video game consoles dating back to the atari 2600. All DVD's and video games are in the room off from the den. That room was also the home to a couple servers, my main computer with a 3 monitor setup, and about 15 or so vintage Macintoshes). Also, these pics are the ones that were taken to sale my home, so many other items where already put in storage (wine rack, and a few other kitchen items).

4346471473_f6dfa9af22.jpg  4346471961_032bbb8fbc.jpg

4346472785_b12fa02bee.jpg  4347218538_03d7548ec2.jpg

4347218842_55810f8cd1.jpg  4346474257_7c40cf2f41.jpg

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I'll try and remember to take some pics tonight of where I currently live, although currently I have piles of DVD's and old Video Games that came out of storage that are lining the walls of my dining area.

Before moving to DC I owned a home that only I lived it, and I had a lot of stuff. Since DC, I have taken a much more minimalist approach. Going from a 3 bedroom house to a 625 sq/ft condo kinda makes you cut back.

Here are some pics I was able to find of my old den, remodeled bathroom, and kitchen, before moving up to DC...so these are about 5 years old. All of my geeky stuff is either well hidden (box above double windows is a 92" pulldown screen, and behind where the den pics are being taken is a rack with 10+ video game consoles dating back to the atari 2600. All DVD's and video games are in the room off from the den. That room was also the home to a couple servers, my main computer with a 3 monitor setup, and about 15 or so vintage Macintoshes). Also, these pics are the ones that were taken to sale my home, so many other items where already put in storage (wine rack, and a few other kitchen items).

4346471473_f6dfa9af22.jpg  4346471961_032bbb8fbc.jpg

4346472785_b12fa02bee.jpg  4347218538_03d7548ec2.jpg

4347218842_55810f8cd1.jpg  4346474257_7c40cf2f41.jpg

I like it. Cozy and liveable just like I like ;)

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Or stuff like this

il_570xN.342504285.jpg

Love me some Carl Sagan.

Ras'taban

Level 3 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 9 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

j.r.r. tolkien

The intense nerdiness in our house is more or less limited to the office/spare bedroom - the walls in there are completely covered, (and most of the ceiling too) with various posters, flags, a carved wooden dragon medallion-type thing, map of Neverwinter, and random golf memorabilia.

The living room is rock'n'roll themed - framed records, band posters, etc. And, of course, the DVD/game collection and all the various consoles take up a large corner!

Everything else is pretty eclectic, funky stuff we've picked up over the years - elephant mask, owl painting, stained glass wolves, and some paintings I've done.

I kind of like that it doesn't all go together! Some days I'm a little sad that it's not "grown-up" looking, but then I ask myself, "what would Peter Pan do?" and remember that we are awesome!

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Here's my main wall of Nerdiness!

Wall.jpg

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I decorate my house with cables, wiring, monitors and screens. It runs all over the place. When I was single I'd just run whatever wherever then put duct tape over it. Right through the middle of the living room? No worries, duct tape on it and away we go!

Now that I have a wife I'm confined to keep it run along baseboards, preferably hidden. I also keep the boxes for my higher end tech and gaming gear on display on a book shelf. Along with my boxed copies of games. I don't get near as many boxed games as I used to, digital distribution is what I use now. The only new pick ups are when I kick out for special editions of series I really like. My wife hates this shelf as well. She says it's tacky. I say I own a Cyborg R.A.T 7 gaming mouse and a SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard, and a etc etc and it's awesome gear and I like the look of the boxes there.

Then we have the rodent cage. A central feature of the house and rather new addition. In our loving room is a 6 foot tall, 4 foot wide 3 feet deep wooden cage housing Chilean degus. Tons of fun to watch them play in there.

Using a Rasterbator, you can make for some pretty cool posters -- I plan to put up a nerdy one once I move into the dorms. This one's an example of how you can be creative with the arrangement:

rasterbator.jpg

The way this one's arranged, I'm reminded of the falling tiles in Aperture. I'd love to make a Portal 2 themed poster like this!

368729357_6d0f4ddde7.jpg

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Those tiles freak me out ... I feel like they're about to attack me for some reason.  Maybe it's the giant black and white celebrity heads.  Those might be better in, say, a game room, not a bedroom ^^

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Those tiles freak me out ... I feel like they're about to attack me for some reason.  Maybe it's the giant black and white celebrity heads.  Those might be better in, say, a game room, not a bedroom ^^

Kinda like some of those Rooms in Legend of Zelda, when they start floating and flying at you!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Well, we call my basement The Nerd Cave. :D

It is loaded with toys: Star Wars, Transformers, GIJOE, and Spider-Man. I have about a dozen lightsaber replicas on the wall, and two dummies for my various costumes.

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

Our entire place is nerdness...

My robot and zombie paintings are hung beautifully throughout...60s and Victorian-esque furniture mixed (my housemate had Victorian inspired furniture while I had 60s/70s furniture...since all of my real furniture is still in Texas waiting for my return). My housemates door is covered with our favorite ecards...like "your boyfriend is gay" (his boyfriend is gay)...maybe we are immature?

Our house is from 1903 or something...and was remodeled in the 60s and then recently again...so our kitchen is totally retro. It's saweet. Our living room is just nerd stuff...typewriter, sewing machine, book shelves full of books, board games, video games...consoles around the TV.