A Nerd's Home: How Do You Decorate?

Our house is deceptively normal, for the most part. Very restoration hardware. The only hint of nerd is a huge charcoal drawing of a bust of Euripides, and the extreme proliferation of books. It never ends. 

But our DEN OF AWESOME is another story. Besides my boyfriend's sports memorabilia (which is...um...everywhere) there are also models of the Millennium Falcon, geodes, fossils, seashells, bugs under glass, more books (they really are multiplying in corners), stacks and stacks of Science Magazine and National Geographic, random science-y toys, remote controlled cars, a couple guitars (that never get played :( )... etc etc. All this around our matching L-shaped desks, which are oriented in such a way that we can play MMO's together. Yep. Cute in a barfy way.

I guess there is also a really big TV with an xbox, on an easel, not in the den.  

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

STR: 3 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 1 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4.5 | CHA: 3

If you do not change where you are headed, you will end up where you are going.

I decorate by painting my walls a purplish-grey, having a bed in the middle of the room, with tan sheets, and lime green blanket at the end, and a monitor on the right of my bed, and a lazy black and white cat. And pictures of spacemen. and I what may possibly be an electric ukulele. because that's how cool kids decorate.

I decorate by painting my walls a purplish-grey, having a bed in the middle of the room, with tan sheets, and lime green blanket at the end, and a monitor on the right of my bed, and a lazy black and white cat. And pictures of spacemen. and I what may possibly be an electric ukulele. because that's how cool kids decorate.

YESSS ELECTRIC UKULELE! Do you have a distortion pedal for it!?!? 

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

We have pretty sparse decorations.  Our living room is closest to having "things" but I'm a little commitment phobic when it comes to decorations and such. I'll take some photos later.

WT, adult home is adult!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I dunno...does LorenWade have a distortion pedal for his?

I was trying to creep LorenWade out by describing his bedroom from a picture that popped up when I clicked the side arrow when he showed me his beard.

I hope he is sufficiently creeped.

Derp.

<--- Ruining jokes since 1987.

Level 2 Half-elf Druid

We are still unpacking boxes and organizing things in our new house.  The basement will need a complete remodel/finishing before a lot of our decorations go up.

Things that are already out on display:

Kitchen is probably the least geeky place in the house - it boast French paintings and some quotes for artwork, red small appliances, Star Wars mugs, Star Wars ice cube trays, and an assorment of geeky cookie cutters (SW, Pac-Man,...).

The dining room has our wedding photos on display - including a collage of all of our lightsaber wedding pictures (we had a lightsaber fight during our wedding reception and the "Groom's Cake" was a giant cookie frosted with a picture of my husband in his Jedi garb and myself in my Sith Twi'lek garb).  The in wall shelf displays a wide variety of cookbooks, a cast iron tea set, and 4 Mario mushrooms (two telling us to get a life and two telling us to grow up).  It also has a map of Fuhaj, a land out of my husband's brain that a fantastic artist friend did a watercolor painting of.

The livingroom has one of my favorite pieces in the house.  My husband modified our coffee table and turned it into a display case to hold our LEGO Millennium Falcon.  Art from family and friends graces our walls.  Some of the paintings are of Australian landscape painted by various members of my husband's family.  We have two crossstitch pieces framed that were done by my In-Laws.  On the mantel is a pair of decorative Japanese swords with cranes on the sheath.  Maquettes of Han Solo and Leia with R2D2 sit to one side of the swords and saber wielding LEGO Luke to the other.  Above and framing the mantel hang several pieces of art: my husband done up in watercolor as a Steampunk Ghostbuster (a piece I commissioned our friend to do as a surprise for our 5th wedding anniversary), the Star Trek RP crew from one of our games (I'm the Andorian - also done by the friend just mentioned), my Amber RP character (a dragon winged humanoid with a pet Savannah cat - done by another friend), a picture drawn by my husband of the RP characters we played in an online Jedi Outcast RP when we first met, Sora from Kingdom Hearts (drawn by my husband's little sister), a picture of one of my husband's Amber characters holding a rock (done by the same friend that did the other Amber RP character), and an oil painted Sand Person done by a friend I have in the Netherlands.

The masterbedroom has an Asian flare.  There is a giant wooden fan hanging above the headboard with beautiful landscape and cranes painted on it.  We have pictures of Japan hanging on the wall as well as a Samurai my husband's little sister painted.

Still to do:

Mainfloor:

Office - we have plans for three walls of Tetris shaped book shelves that we will be building ourselves.  I have also bought some Star Wars fabric to make curtains for the two windows.  The giant window seat we are creating will be full of pillows made with geeky fabrics and crocheted Amigurumi (Star Wars, Castle Crashers, Minecraft, and Fable Heroes characters are currently planned).

Living Room - We have plans for a Companion Cube storage ottoman and a Weighted Storage Cube ottoman.

Basement:

Theatre Room - eventual plans include tiered seating and projector movie viewing.  Concession stand to feature air popped popcorn.  Movie posters lit with lightsaber lights.  The back wall will feature an eight foot long Legend of Zelda world map.

Hallway - will feature fictional weapons: Master Sword and Shield, a sword for Assassin's Creed, a Nerf Lancer (that my hubby is making), a dead fish (from Castle Crashers), a giant meat tenderizer (also from Castle Crashers), several lightsabers, and many more wonderfully geeky items.

Craftroom - Minecraft crafting table, furnace, and double treasure chest to function as storage and work space for my craft/sewing room [The garage will probably get a set as well].

We have lots of geeky posters and artwork that will be hung downstairs once it is complete.

Basically, our entire house embraces geek and we would not have it any other way.

*pictures to come at a later time*

My house is (overall) fairly non-nerdy in decor - we buy art pieces when we travel, so that takes up most of our wall space.

That said, I do have a wood-mounted Preacher print in my family room (and the statue on a shelf in that room), a framed promotional poster from Robbie Morrison's run on The Authority in my office, and a couple of shelves of action figures in my basement.

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

I'm not the interesting kind of nerd, unfortunately. My house is minimalist and cozy. No decorations, just bitchin' colour schemes.

But there is a man I know. He likes Doctor Who, this man. Think you have a decent collection of memorabilia? Think again. This guy is die-hard, been watching since the 60s DW fan. His house is a monument to blue police boxes and men in funny suits and I was in awe when first I gazed upon it.

Adventurer Lv. 1

20/100 EXP

Our basement is set aside to be a Eagles Fan Cave.  Not much down there so far, but I do have a couple wall pieces already bought/gifted for it. I plan on absolutely everything that goes down there being some sort of Eagles memorabilia.

I need to figure out where to put the medieval weaponry wall I've always wanted.  I only get one room to myself for decorating, which will be the fan cave, so I may do the big wall of the garage next to all my weights. That'll come after getting the basement done which is going to take 5-10 years of little projects.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have a shameful dearth of nerd decor in our house, but we do have a framed sheet of LSD in our living room.

photoapr01180146.jpg

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

So I updated my bedroom a bit with a new smoky purple quilt (it's feminine but not girly, yay!) and a cream colored pintucked headboard. It really lightens up the room, given the dark walls and curtains. I've been making small changes to bring light into the house without a lot of natural light. I'm excited and had to share hehe. Next step, once I save up a bit more $$ for it, new curtains in living room and bedroom!

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

Older thread, but I found it interesting. My wife and I decorate mostly as warm as possible. We like to host, so the living room has to be nice and inviting. Big thick couch and chair, and warm bookshelves and EC. The only nerdiness in the front area (besides our books!) is my Glamdring and Master Replicas light up Sting, by our mantle. They look great against the deep teal accent wall.

On the other hand, my bedroom has an entire wall of Masters of the Universe Classics and Star Trek toys, including the Diamond Select original series Enterprise.

516ec6f5c519c_bluwall.gif

Storin: Lvl 1 AdventurerStr: 2Dex: 6Sta: 3Con: 5Wis: 2Cha: 5

Int: 3

I'd not seen this thread before. Great idea! I like the pics on the first page, looks nice.

I'm not too into out and out nerdism, but I'm 31 and my gf is moving in soon. Fortunately we both have similar taste in decoration!

Maybe I have some music nerd type stuff- above my sofa is a Gerhard Richter print- it's an image that appears in the same candle series as the cover of Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation. It's a little reference, but nice when people notice it!

I also have some frames that hold vinyl records, they open as well so I can take records out and play them though!

Maybe the nerdiest thing is I have a few rare Lego models, they sit on a shelf. Strange thing is, girls love them and want to play with them!

We're looking at moving house next year, thinking of having our bedroom with a Chinese 50s/60s style influence- we stayed at a 'heritage hotel' in Malaysia with this theme and it was absolutely gorgeous!

I love that look, with the plain dark furniture and the stark lines. Really nice looking but still manly! Surprisingly Ikea has an entire line of bedroom furniture that looks great with it- check out Malm, with Expedit shelves. (I don't work at Ikea, that's just what I use).

And what kind of rare legos? I have a couple Lord of the Rings legos on my shelf with my (some rare) Tolkien books. Legos are sweet.

Storin: Lvl 1 AdventurerStr: 2Dex: 6Sta: 3Con: 5Wis: 2Cha: 5

Int: 3

I just bought a house and I'm still working out how to furnish/decorate some of the rooms. For the bedroom we have agreed on a Japanese theme - both me and my boyfriend prefer a mattress on the floor to a "proper" bed and the room has a small niche that immediately made me think of tokonoma. The ceiling will likely be a wood frame with panels and I want a wall-sized wardrobe with sliding painted doors. Other elements are a radiator cover made of woven strips of veneer and Japanese paintings made by my dad. I don't plan on having any obviously nerdy/geeky decorations, although I suppose our tabletop gaming collection, my pen & paper rule books and our library of Sci-Fi and fantasy books will be quite visible.