Not strong enough for olympic barbell and bumper plates...How to deadlift without them?

Hey guys! I've been doing a free-weights lifting routine for almost three weeks now, and the only thing I'm struggling with are deadlifts. I have good form with presses, squats, and rows, but I go to do a deadlift and am totally lost! 

Our gym requires the use of bumper plates with the barbell when doing deadlifts, but with the bumper plates on (they are 45 pounds each) there is NO way I can lift it. There is a rack of smaller, what I'm calling barbells, but am not really sure if that's what they are....they're like half the length of an olympic barbell, and essentially look like stretched out dumbbells. They come from 20lbs - 60lbs, in 5lb increments. I use these for my shoulder presses and bent-over rows and they work great.

I've used them twice for deadlifts...Once doing 'regular' DLs, with what was probably horrible form, and once, just the other day, doing straight-leg DLs. The problem with these is that they are so little I can't place them on the ground after each rep without rounding my back. Also, I had no idea where to start weight-wise, so I used a 35 (what I used for my shoulder presses) and felt pathetic. I didn't really feel the burn at the time, they seemed way too easy, and I hear that DL weights should be really high (not starting out, of course, but should it be that LOW starting out?) My hamstrings are screaming after the straight-legs, so I guess it did something.

My question is, are these the right kind of bars I should use to deadlift? Is my weight too low? Should I be putting the bar on the floor after each rep, or can I hold it above the ground a few inches and hold for a few seconds before standing up again? I want to incorporate deadlifts more than anything right now, but want to be sure that I'm using the right equipment and the right weight. I'll have to study up on technique and have my lifting partner check me out next time I do it!

Thanks in advance :)

Oh, and if this makes a difference, I'm female, 22, 5'2", and 170lbs. 

MyFitnessPal | Fitocracy

Mischief Managed!

Do they have a squat rack? You could set pins low(the bars that stop you from dropping it on the floor) and go from that. You should probably be setting it down everytime, only going part way leaves a lot of room for error and jarring of the back.  

They won't let you just use a regular 25lb plate on the rubber floor? If not, a squat rack would be a good alternative.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

So I'm doing deadlifts too.  I'm currently lifting 85 lbs but when I was doing less it was terrible going SO LOW to the ground. What I do is haul out some of the 35 or 45 pound weights and stack them on the floor. I pile 2 on the left and 2 on the right, stacked on top of each other. Then, you can place the full sized bar (the one for squats or bench pressses or what ever) and place it on TOP of your pile of weights. Viola! A low-weight dead lift bar that is more ergonamically correct!

I always see people using the full size bar when doing dead lifts so that's what I use. I always set it down, all the way on the floor for a full count of one onethoughsand. I get to relax my hands during that one second break and you can readjust your form if you need to.

As for how much you should be lifting, it varies person to person.  It should be light enough that you can actually DO the dead lift and with GOOD FORM, but heavy enough for it to be taxing you each time you lift. Don't blow out a knee or anything but you should have to really TRY to lift that sucker.

So they don't have any lighter bumper plates? None of the thinner 35's, 25's and 10's? Just the 45's? If they only allow bumper plates and only have 45's, that would suggest you could only go up in increments of 90 lbs, unless they allow normal plates with at least 2 45 bumpers.

As the other suggestions, squat rack/power rack with adjustable pins would work nicely or using other weights to lift your weights high enough would work too. The key is trying to get the barbell up to the level as if it had 45's on it. Do your best to use the standard barbell if you can....even if you have to start with just the bar itself. The other bars you are describing tend to have a smaller diameter bar (at least many of the ones I've seen), so getting use to a smaller diameter bar would require a slight adjustment in your grip for when you go to the standard bar.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

As others mentioned, getting it to the same height as a regular bar with 45lb plates on it would be ideal, but don't get too hung up on it. You obviously want it off the floor more than the fixed weight barbells, but you're only 5'2" so getting down a little farther than normal shouldn't be THAT big of an issue. 

Honestly I'd just do it with 25lb plates and if anyone said anything I'd tell them to take a hike :)

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

I will have to ask the workers at the gym if they have lighter bumpers, but all I have seen are the 45s....

So my general consensus here is to work with the olympic bar and ditch my little ones (at least for DLs). Start with the bar either lifted up on stacked weights, or just use 25-ers and stick it to the man. Dropping the bar (and the need for bumpers) won't really be an issue with me...I won't try to take on 300 lbs, I'll always have a spotter, and I don't throw the thing down on purpose! XD

Thanks again everyone, I think that's all I need from you guys for now :D

MyFitnessPal | Fitocracy

Mischief Managed!

I will have to ask the workers at the gym if they have lighter bumpers, but all I have seen are the 45s....

So my general consensus here is to work with the olympic bar and ditch my little ones (at least for DLs). Start with the bar either lifted up on stacked weights, or just use 25-ers and stick it to the man. Dropping the bar (and the need for bumpers) won't really be an issue with me...I won't try to take on 300 lbs, I'll always have a spotter, and I don't throw the thing down on purpose! XD

Thanks again everyone, I think that's all I need from you guys for now :D

No problem, let us know how it goes. I'm curious to see how our ideas pan out!

You don't need the full bar- you can dead lift with almost anything- I do a sumo dead lift 2 x 25 lb plate weights in each hand.  

We don't have any bumper plates in my gym I don't think at all.  Meh- find what works- you'd be surprised at the amount of equipment that can be substituted for something else  (I love kettlebell workouts- and there are only a handful of exercises I can't do with a dumbbell or plate weight like flipper squats- certain cleans w/o the kettlebell- but using a kettlebell- is GREAT in comparison LOL but I refused to let the lack of one stop me :rolleyes-new: )

Yeah, totally don't need bumper plates.  Stack the bumper plates and make something about bumper plate height (when on bar) and use just the bar or pop little 10# weights on.  I do this for snatch and clean work at my gym b/c we don't have the low weight bumper plates.  Just the little weight plates. It's fine - same weight.

Also, you can totally do dumbbell or kettlebell deadlifts.  Problem solved!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Oh and I forgot my current favorite - romanian deadlifts - require no bumper plates.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.