Ok, I need to vent here fo a second ladies:

I'M LOSING MY DAMN MIND!! :miserable:

I've been cutting my carbs and strength training for like 4 weeks now and I have seeen jack squat in my results! The scale has not budged and my body fat percentage hasn't reduced either. I know because my husband takes my measurments with the tape measure and that little pinchy thing every Saturday morning.

Holy crap I am getting so damn tired of passing up pasta, candy, cake and bread just to get no results!! I want my spaghetti!!

I'll admit I do feel stronger. I have more energy. But I want it to show! People say, 'Oh well, at least you're getting healthy' and it makes me want to cry because, yay being healthier and all but can I please stop buying jeans in the plus size area? I want to be healthier AND have it show! If you're fat and healthy, people assume you're unhealthy and lazy beacuse you're fat. It's not like my goals are unattainable. Ugh.

My next step is to start tracking my food. Yes, I know what you're thinking, I should have been tracking all along. But really, last year, all I had to do was cut the carbs and I lost more than 10 pounds and maintained it for a long time. Now, my body's on to me. It's seen this trick before and I shouldn't have gotten so derailed during the holidays.

Am I the only one stuck? I really don't want to stop trying but what's the point if the result is the same?

Sorry for the vent... I just needed to tell this story to someone other than my very supportive husband. :grief:

SCREAMING is good sometimes. So let it all out woman! :D

Okay, a few questions:

1) Have you had your thyroid checked? If not, highly recommended. If there's a chemical imbalance, you can correct it then get back to pumping iron and you'll see results.

2) Yes, track your food. I eat about 1200 cals a day and I work out 3 times a day. It's excessive, but since I've already lost 110 lbs, I have to work extra hard to get the last bit of weight off. Another note about the food - try to cut all the processed foods out of your system. Eat good, healthy whole foods and lean meats.

3) STOP the negative self talk. You're telling yourself that you've living in hell by not eating pasta, candy etc. etc. without ANY results. That is false. Because in the very next sentence you say that you feel stronger. The more you tell yourself that you're depriving urself of that junk, the more you'll feel the pain of it's loss. You have to tell yourself, hey, I've put a lot of junk into my body all these years, and now I'm treating it well by giving it good whole foods! Wow, I really rock for caring about myself and my body!

4) What's your workouts like? What kind of strength training? Are you doing some cardio too? Sprints? Light jogs or walks?

Don't stress, it's counterproductive to what you're trying to accomplish. Also.. we women, we tend to lose weight in whooshes because of our hormones. At least that's the case with me. I won't lose anything for a week, then I'll step on the scale and see a 4 lbs drop.

Hang in there and work through it. Do not give up!

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

SCREAMING is good sometimes. So let it all out woman! :D

Okay, a few questions:

1) Have you had your thyroid checked? If not, highly recommended. If there's a chemical imbalance, you can correct it then get back to pumping iron and you'll see results.

2) Yes, track your food. I eat about 1200 cals a day and I work out 3 times a day. It's excessive, but since I've already lost 110 lbs, I have to work extra hard to get the last bit of weight off. Another note about the food - try to cut all the processed foods out of your system. Eat good, healthy whole foods and lean meats.

3) STOP the negative self talk. You're telling yourself that you've living in hell by not eating pasta, candy etc. etc. without ANY results. That is false. Because in the very next sentence you say that you feel stronger. The more you tell yourself that you're depriving urself of that junk, the more you'll feel the pain of it's loss. You have to tell yourself, hey, I've put a lot of junk into my body all these years, and now I'm treating it well by giving it good whole foods! Wow, I really rock for caring about myself and my body!

4) What's your workouts like? What kind of strength training? Are you doing some cardio too? Sprints? Light jogs or walks?

Don't stress, it's counterproductive to what you're trying to accomplish. Also.. we women, we tend to lose weight in whooshes because of our hormones. At least that's the case with me. I won't lose anything for a week, then I'll step on the scale and see a 4 lbs drop.

Hang in there and work through it. Do not give up!

OMG it felt good to get that out!

So lets see...

1.Thyroid is doing great. My doc checked this not long ago when Imentioned weight loss. I'll admit, I was kind of hoping it was running slow. :playful:

2. I seriously hate tracking food but this has to be done. I'm using MY Fitness Pal as of 30 mins. ago. It's gotta be my diet. i bet I'm not being as 'good' as I think I am

3.Everything you said is true!  I don't miss it until I see someone else

eating it. I miss the convineance too. Pasta is so easy!

4. Workouts are mostly strenght training. I'm lifting heavy and it turns out I really love it. I love that I feel stronger and less lazy.

Looks like I just have to suck it up and keep going!

imstormtrooper - I must start out by saying that you're a rockstar! 

Losing body fat is often really rough for women.  It's not easy to shed the lbs for anyone so don't get discouraged!  I'm sure those first 4 weeks were really rough for you but it get's easier from there I promise. Two years ago I was just like you used to be - cut the carbs and lose 10lbs- but then my metabolism plummeted and I gained a massive amount of weight in body fat.  I've been working really hard just like you to shed the fat and I too have been exactly where you are but I got past this point just like I know you will!!! Here's what worked for me:

- strength and cardio training together. cardio helps keep your heart rate up and your body moving so you'll shed fat faster than you would if you just did strength training.

- focusing on my entire body and not just the fat.  Change happens from the inside out.  Maybe just cutting carbs doesn't work for your metabolism anymore?  You have to find something that works for you and your body because we all work differently.  I researched a LOT of diet plans and eating routines before I settled on something I thought might work for my body and believe me the trial and error process was harder than the workout routines.  Perhaps you should attempt a detox diet to release the toxins in your body and start from there.  We put a LOT of shit inside of us that we really can't digest or handle metabolically so releasing some of that filth might help you to start seeing better results.  Not only will it help your internal health but your skin, hair, nails, eyes and pretty much everything else will start looking and feeling better too. 

- you mentioned you have a husband and obviously I don't know anything about your love life but having more sex is always a good way to increase your endorphins and keep you happy and positive.  Not only that but it's also a great cardio workout!! Keeping a positive attitude about your entire life really helps you to keep your head up when your body keeps you down. :)

- Have a little chocolate here and there.  Seriously it's been proven that if you let yourself have the things you really crave in small portions you are less likely to over eat in order to "replace" the cravings with things you might think are better.  Everything (even super foods) are bad for you in excess.  Portion control is key. 

- Research the health benefits the food you eat have. You will be surprised what veggies and olive oil can do for you.  Knowledge is power.

- Get enough sleep and don't obsess about your lack of change.  Stress is the bodies worst enemy and will have negative effects on your fat loss plan. 

- Drink tons of water.  Our bodies are stupid.  Sometimes they think we are hungry when really all we want is hydration.

- Look at yourself in the mirror every day and tell yourself that you are beautiful and that you can accomplish anything.  This sounds really silly but positive reinforcement is a HUGE part of the American culture and who better to believe in you than yourself? Love yourself and embrace who you are and the change that you want to see in yourself (although slow coming) will seem more achievable. 

I hope some of that was helpful? If not then I'm sorry you read through all of that lol

The most important thing I can say is that it is super hard to achieve the goals you want  but KEEP MOVING FORWARD AND DO NOT GIVE UP!!! You are beautiful and powerful and you can do anything you set your mind to!

I have two friends that I workout with on a regular basis. They're the kind of people that do the same routine every day. I tried that and hated it. So I started alternating cardio and strength training days. It made a BIG difference for me. I've also just recently started cutting back on the carbs too and I found the best way to to beat the carb cravings were to drink a ton of water combined with a healthy, crunchy snack that had a bit of natural sweetness (I found a small handful of almonds with a few dried cranberries does the trick). Just try to find a snack that works for you when you start thinking about pasta ;)

Also look for the slimming to start in a potentially unusual spot. I was so focused on the usual trouble spots (especially in the usual midriff area :P ) and getting discouraged by them that I didn't notice you could actually see a difference in my face! So try to look at yourself in a different way and see if it helps.... or if all else fails you can always just make silly faces at yourself in the mirror like I do :D Being happy and getting lots of rest make weight loss easier too!

Level 4 Wood Elf Assassin

I feel the same way. I eat very healthy besides my occasional binge on chocolate, and I exercise almost 4 days a week for an hour or more (cardio for at least 20 min) and I have no results. How much do you weight/how tall are you? I know I'm not overweight but just a bit thick so I think it's harder for me to lose any weight. If you figure out a way please tell me cause I'm really annoyed too loool.

Also keep in mind that 4 weeks is not very much in the long run. If you're new to strength training and the like, your body could be retaining water to help repair your muscles. In fact, you may be retaining water anyway - being a woman is so fun!

Just keep at it; you're obviously already seeing changes, even if they're not the changes you want to be seeing.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Also keep in mind that 4 weeks is not very much in the long run. If you're new to strength training and the like, your body could be retaining water to help repair your muscles. In fact, you may be retaining water anyway - being a woman is so fun!

Just keep at it; you're obviously already seeing changes, even if they're not the changes you want to be seeing.

This.  4 weeks is not really long enough.  Took me almost 2 mos of serious commitment before I noticed weight loss. 

As for carbs - seriously, what do you mean specifically?  For example - are you eating tons of fruit?  High carb veg?  Have you cut out sugar? alcohol?  I ask because you might not be eating pasta or cake but instead you are having 2 glasses of wine and 3 pieces of fruit.  Make sense?  Just asking so we can help. 

Also related - what else are you eating (thus, the food journal - you don't have to count calories).  Are you eating protein?  fat?  enough of both?  How much?  How do you know?  etc etc.  When it comes down to it, some parts of weight loss are kind of nerdy!!!  You don't have to track specifically but track what.  And be honest - most of us aren't. 

For example, you've cut pasta and all the tasty bakery yummies (YEA!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!) but you are chugging down a grande soy latte with syrup, a banana, some blueberries, eating a small veg only salad for lunch, an apple, some dates, some nuts, and a small piece of chicken and some veg for dinner.  Probably not a good weight loss plan - too little protein, too little fat, too many carbs, too little to keep you full and happy, etc.  Make sense?  Tons of smart people here can help with any options you choose.

Most importantly, Mir is right - 4 weeks is a little fast.  Be patient.  You are doing all the right things!

Don't believe people who say "I lost 20 lbs the first two weeks" - very very very unusual.  It took me forever for it to all kick in.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

one of the training sales guys was chatting up a girl at the front desk and I happened to over hear him... I really wanted to reach out and smack the shit out of him.

He asked her how often he changed up her workouts- she said every couple of months (I think) 

he was like that's not often enough- you need to change your workouts every 2 weeks or your body adjusts and you won't see results.  

sigh... and this Chris- is why you will never be successful at this.  That or might have been the comment  "when I'm done with you- you definitely won't be so thick"

I almost literally choked- I was sputtering so bad someone thought I was having issues.  It was ridiculous. 

Do you take pictures to measure your progress? Sometimes, I'll go 2 months or so without seeing a change on the scale or in my measurements, but I look so much better - and you just aren't going to notice that looking in the mirror. Take front/back/side pics once a month in your underwear/bikini and then compare them. I bet you'll see results that way! I started this last August and ended up going out and buying a bikini because I was so impressed with the results I wanted to be able to show people without showing them my underwear lol.

when you're pants start falling off at work ;)

you'll know!!!  I still weigh 170 lbs- but I actually bought a pair of size 8's at TJmax two months ago. 

Big moment for me... mostly because they were teal.... and 178$ that i paid like 25 for.  ;)   but yeah- even they aren't as tight now- I was pretty pumped.