Info on Sore Muscles?

I've been having a very curious sensation as of late.

In the mornings my legs are very sore, and stiff, specifically my thighs, calves and ankles. I stretch out, which relieves it to the point that I don't walk funny, but I feel it with every step or sit down. Then, after work I do my bodyweight workout or run, and the pain and stiffness disappears. Certainly I feel the workout, but the increase in range of flexibility and general easing of tension makes me curious.

IS it simply a matter that by getting my heart rate up and moving I am flooding the muscles with O2 and fresh blood, causing the feeling of release, or is there something else at play that I am unaware of?

Any help would be appreciated, as I am a very curious cat. :tiger:

best thing to recover from being sore from exercise is more exercise.

*nodnod* I'm quickly finding out that this statement is 100% true for me. After we did our lil Parkour thing on Weds I did 70 box jumps. woke up so sore, but even doing 5 mins of stretching and some jumping jacks made things much better.

Thanks!

I agree with notanartmajor. If you are absolutely sure it is from exercise, that's good. Try giving yourself a day off to recover if you haven't. Also, hot baths relax the muscles, massages, and certain foods. I can't quite remember what foods :P but google "natural remedies for sore muscles" and you'll find a ton! If it is not from the exercise, see your doctor about it. It can mean a number of things.

That's good then (: Definitely give the hot soaks a try, or go to a massage therapist. I've heard coffee can help relieve sore muscles, so you might give that a go. Others that I've just read include an Ice Bath, if you're brave with cold water go for it! Acupuncture, I am a fan of, I love Chinese Medicine. And of course, the well-known NSAIDS or anti inflammatory drugs. I would recommend the last one in great moderation. Reason being, I had injured myself working out a couple years ago, and was prescribed 800mg of Ibuprofen, which I ended up addicted to in a way. I would take 2, which totals to 1600mg, way too much, and always before going to the gym, because it took away pain and allowed me to work out harder. Indeed I got strong quick but quickly saw the damage it did to my insides. I was born with stomach issues and this worsened it a ton. Now I take little to no pain meds at all. If I have a headache I drink caffeine, but if it gets real bad I'll take a Tylenol or two, but nothing more. Find what works best for you!

i would take a day or two off just to see if the pain goes away. also you should remember that the recovery training should not be as hard as the workout that caused your muscles to go sore, for example, a short soft run, or a bike ride, which is not as hard on your joints, since you complained a bit about stiffness. Hope this help :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit"

Unos -. Ranger

Cold treatments work great to reduce soreness from a workout but you have to do it when there is still inflammation. Do not use heat right after a workout unless you follow it with cold (ie : hot shower but finish with the water cold). Heat after a workout that is going to make you more sore then you normally would be.

Ice baths are probably the most effective post workout treatment (elite runners use it) but can be unpleasant to downright painful. Cold water baths are still good. I use them sometimes (last time I brought a bottle of hot water to drink so that I didn't get too cold as I rehydrated). The easiest treatment that I do is the normal shower with a cold ending.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Sounds like Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS).  Working out again usurally takes care of it.  Banannas and oranges help with sore muscles, also staying hydrated.  Stretching works well, and cardio gets blood flowing.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath