• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dropzone7

Beginner-3 weeks in-Questions

It's been about 3 weeks since I started the Paleo diet. Overall I have been very pleased with how easy it is for me to stick to this way of eating. I won't say I'm 100% dedicated to it just yet but probably 85-90% as I have had the occasional sliver of bread and a few pieces of candy. I have totally avoided dairy, soft drinks (even diet), grains of any kind except for the toast slip up a few times. My meals consist mostly of fruit, eggs and bacon for breakfast, salad with grilled chicken breast and dressing I make myself (olive oil, lemon juice and some spices), when I'm getting tired of salads I will eat baked sweet potatos, mixed vegetables, etc. Dinner is more of the same or if I have time I will actually cook and make something like baked salmon filet with homemade salsa, vegies, etc. Been grillng a lot too. Kabobs with steak and peppers, mushrooms. No fast food at all which in itself has been a big change for me.

Questions-

I have been breaking out like a high school freshmen for the past two weeks. Just on my face, mostly forehead area and behind my ears around my neck. Some places look almost like a rash. I would not have expected this based on what I have eliminated from my diet. Any ideas?

Second, and this may be related to the same thing causing the acne, my tongue has a wide crack in the center that I have never seen before. It's not painful or anything but I just never noticed it before. I have been very careful to brush my tongue as I always have and rinse, peroxide also.

Lastly, I lost about 8 lbs. fairly quickly but for the past week I seem to loose and put back on the same one or two pounds. Am I not eating enough or maybe too much or just the wrong things? I know this is a vague question without knowing my true caloric intake and I'm working on trying to measure that now.

Are these things common to a change in diet? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I am trying to drink more water but it's tough as I'm not used to it. I drink coffee in the morning and then water the rest of the day and with every meal.

I'm just now starting to incorporate some excersise with this diet.

Thanks for any input!

Nobody?

Well, I ate a lot of not so Paleo food this weekend and strangely enough I weigh the same thing I did last Friday morning. I was careful with portions though.

I thought that breakouts were from oily skin, not from what you eat. I could be wrong but make sure you don't touch your face when handling oils and fruits.

Weight changes could be caused by water weight. You are reducing the amount of salt with whole foods which might have an affect on how your body works with water. 

Exercise also has an affect on your hydration and the sweat that goes through your pores. Make sure you replenish any water you might be losing from exercise and clean properly after you cool down.

If you keep at it and stay in a regular routine, your weight should become consistent.

Hi there. Sometimes the acne thing can happen because our bodies are releasing the toxins that we've been holding onto for so long. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's coming out, that might be a good thing. Watch it to make sure it's not getting worse.

my tongue has a wide crack in the center that I have never seen before. 

Hehe, we all have that silly. It becomes more pronounced when you don't drink enough fluids. Are you drinking enough water?

Lastly, I lost about 8 lbs. fairly quickly but for the past week I seem to loose and put back on the same one or two pounds. 

Your weight will fluctuate. Don't worry about it. The key is to NOT give up. This weekend was bad for you.. maybe you let some of the above concerns get to you. I've lost a lot of weight, and have only consistently lost weight since I went Paleo. Again, you have to fight through it. If weight loss is the main goal here, you need to ease up on the carbs - even if it IS yummy sweet potatos.

If you're going to eat any carbs (that 10-15% you mentioned) eat it in the morning, right before or after you do your workout/walk/moving around that you're doing.

Remember.. the key is to NOT GIVE UP! Ignore the scale. Don't even check it for the next 3 weeks. Just do what you do. Don't get discouraged. You can do it.. you've started and that's a huge step.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the replies guys! I haven't even thought about giving up. I'm 42 and it's only going to get more difficult to lose weight so there is no turning back. I am becoming more and more in tune with my body each day and I think I truly have changed the way I look at food. Fyre Flies, I'm sure I need to drink more water and good tip about taking in the carbs early. I have been eating the sweet potatoes at late lunch or dinner so I will change that. Stevembk, good point about the salt and I bet my electrolytes are all screwed up at the moment so I have tried to start adding a "little" bit of sea salt to certain foods. Thanks for the encouragement guys and I'm keeping at it!

It doesn't really matter when you eat your carbs, or your whatever. What matters for weight loss is your total caloric intake; it needs to be at a deficit (aka, you must eat less calories than you need). People want to overcomplicate this, but it's honestly that simple. If making the switch to Paleo by itself doesn't put you at a caloric deficit, and you'll be able to tell in a couple weeks when your water weight stabilizes, then you'll have to adjust and eat less.

As for the acne, that's sort of strange. Have you started eating anything new, some food you never ate before? What about your stress level?

As always, none of us are medical professionals so if you're concerned about something, see a doctor.

It doesn't really matter when you eat your carbs, or your whatever. What matters for weight loss is your total caloric intake; it needs to be at a deficit (aka, you must eat less calories than you need). People want to overcomplicate this, but it's honestly that simple. If making the switch to Paleo by itself doesn't put you at a caloric deficit, and you'll be able to tell in a couple weeks when your water weight stabilizes, then you'll have to adjust and eat less.

As for the acne, that's sort of strange. Have you started eating anything new, some food you never ate before? What about your stress level?

As always, none of us are medical professionals so if you're concerned about something, see a doctor.

I can't really think of anything totally new that I'm eating. Sweet potatoes are something I would eat on very rare occasion but I do eat them at least once or twice a week now. I'm eating a lot more nuts (almonds, cashews, etc.) than before but they have never bothered me in the past. I'm trying to eat natural, not roasted or salted nuts.

I used the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of my calories
yesterday. Below is everything I ate and the calorie values according to the
app.

1 – Cutie orange               40 cal.

1 – small apple                  60 cal.

? – International Delights French Vanilla creamer              210 cal. (this is 35 cal. per
tbls. so I’m guessing over two or three cups of coffee I’m using about 6 tbls. to
come up with that 210 cal.)

1 – Zaxby’s Grilled House Salad with Tongue Torch sauce              475 cal.

1 – Texas toast slice        150 cal.

10 – Kirkland’s Cashew Clusters                 300 cal.

1 – medium sweet potato            105 cal.

½ - avocado        120 cal.

3 – turkey bacon slices   75 cal.

½ cup – Egg Beaters        60 cal.

1,595 calories

I know the bread is a bad thing but it comes with the salad and it's a shame to throw it out. I guess I need to start leaving it off. The creamer is a big calorie hit but I love it in my coffee. I need to measure and find out exactly how much I am using. It could be less, maybe more. I still like to taste the coffee so creamer pretty much covers the bottom of the cup.

*I am about 5' 9" tall and my current weight is 213 lbs which is down from 222 lbs. almost a month ago. I did a calorie calculation just now of what I should be eating to maintain my weight based on weight, age, height and current level of activity (1-3 times a week of light to moderate excercise) and apparently I need to take in 2,711 calories to maintain. Subtracting 500 calories from that for weight loss puts me at 2,211 calories. Based on the typical day above I would say I'm in a deficit but the weight has stopped coming off. Do I need to eat more?

Ummm okay.  are you aiming for paleo for weight loss?  If so, I highly recommend reading Rob Wolff or Mark Sissan (primal v paleo).  Read It Starts with Food (life changing book) and look around on the Whole 9 website.  Mark's Daily Apple is also super.  So is Rob's site.

I'm assuming you are easing into paleo and you know your sample day is not really paleo yet and is not paleo for weight loss. Right?  I'm not sure here so I don't want to come off as tough.  Most people ease into paleo - is that where you are?

So, given that you are going to do your homework and actually read the science behind paleo (Wolff or Sissan), here is the cliff notes version if you want to be 100% paleo (realize most people dabble in paleo or do it only during the week,etc.  I'm pretty hard core and stick to paleo/primal except for very rare cheats): 

1.  It's not paleo if it's processed.  Seriously.  Ditch the creamer.  Seriously.  You'll be okay.  If you like cream and can't live without it, buy high quality full fat cream (paleo).  Ditch the toast.

2.  It's not paleo, primal, etc. if it's sugary.  Seriously.  Ditch the creamer, ditch the cashew clusters and get off the sugar!  A lot of people work up to this.  I'm also guessing the salad dressing has sugar. 

3.  It's not paleo if it involves bread.  Ditch the toast.  I'm also guessing that has sugar and other stuff.  Did you read the label?  I have no idea what's in it. 

4.  It's not paleo for weight loss with 2 pieces of fruit and sweet potatoes.  Too much carb/sugar.  Honestly.  This is the secret to weight loss in that diet.  I promise.  Do the reading.

5.  It's neither paleo or primal to eat so little protein and so little fat.  Again, I highly recommend Mark Sissan's book and approach.  Or Whole 9.  Buy real eggs, buy meat.  Cook.  Eat. 

6.  Paleo/primal does not require such a low calorie count.  Do you work out at all?  If so, that calorie load is probably way too small for sufficient weight loss.  If you don't work out, that's a different story. 

I've been paleo for quite a while and lost weight on primal.  a lot of it.  So did my spousal unit. 

My sample menu for today:

Breakfast:  buffalo meat with veg

Snack:  (bc eat breakfast at 6a) hard boiled egg

Lunch:  squid, kale, mushrooms, roasted tomatoes

Snack later after weightlifting:  sweet potato, some egg, some buffalo, some guac - total = about 8 oz all mixed together so not a meal, a snack

Dinner:  flounder, greens, cauliflower

This is how I lost weight, cleared up the inflammation, got over my sugar addiction, etc.  And, my trainer says I'm eating too few calories so we are working on that. 

Does this help? I hope so.  My intention is to be helpful.  I think people don't always understand what paleo is.  It's best to start with what it is and why and then pursue it.  I really can't recommend It starts with food or primal blueprint highly enough.  Primal blueprint changed my life. 

Are you vegetarian? There's hardly any protein in there.

Those flavored creamers have 0 nutritional value and is made up of sugar and chemicals(anti paleo). I would either cut down the amount you use or try milk or full cream with stevia and vanilla extract instead.

I would have put tuna salad with olive oil instead of mayo in the avocado. 

Wow, thanks for all the quick feedback folks! I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm not full bore into Paleo yet. I love the concept becuase I love eating meat (not a vegetarian). I think I can quit the creamer with not much issue. Black coffee is not the end of the world and I buy pretty good coffee most of the time so I can get used to no creamer. There are days when I eat a lot of vegetables to the point that I'm full and don't want anything else. I sometimes have salmon and I love to grill steaks, kabobbs, chicken, etc. but obviously need to do more of it. If I'm being honest with myself then the bottom line is that I'm just lazy I guess. If I don't shop for this food, prepare it in advance and plan then I will make bad choices. I'm eating the grilled chicken salad because it's fast and easy at lunch time. For breakfast I sometimes do eggs and bacon or eggs and sausage. I don't always use Egg Beaters, in fact I usually eat real eggs unless I'm in a hurry. I'm working out a few times a week right now. That consists of 20-30 minutes of walk/run on the treadmill in intervals. I then hit the punching bag for 10-15 minutes which in itself seems to be a pretty good workout. I know, I know I need to be doing weight training. I have a gym membership but go very sporadically. I usually use the machines at the gym becuase I don't really understand how to use the free weights and there are usually a few guys hoarding over that stuff. I have always been "husky" but I'm also pretty muscular so I'm sure I could bulk up pretty easily if I tried. I need to develop upper body strength and core. My legs have always been strong so I just need to maintain there I think.

aha!  this helps a lot!

Yeah, paleo/primal ain't always easy.  A lot of people cook/prep on the weekends and then package the food up for the week. 

You def need to eat more, eat differently, and eat protein. 

I highly highly highly recommend Marks Daily Apple or the Primal Blueprint.  It's a nice, easy to read book that really gets it.  AND the primal plan is easy to follow AND he's got recipes and workouts!  The workouts are super and can generally be done with minimal equipment.  My husband still uses them when traveling. 

Re: workouts.  Hey, there's nothing wrong with machines if that's where you are starting.  It's where I started (and shhhh... a lot of people here started there but won't admit it AND lots of folks still use them and happily admit it - it's OK!).  Core work - don't need no machine!  Start tossing it into your routine now - google hollow rock.  Add that and planks to your treadmill/heavy bag routine.  AND then maintain core engagement when on treadmill and hitting.  Golden. 

As for your routine, boxing on a heavy bag is nothing to sneeze at!  10-15mins - that's a good amount of time!  So for variety, do a 5 min round, some core, 5 min round, some core!  WOOT!  Awesome you!

And get rid of the creamer and texas toast!  And eat more protein.  And feel awesome!

You've got a great start here!!!  Really.  Love the heavy bag!