• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SugarMama

Thirsty all the time?

I've noticed especially in the last few days that I am sooo thirsty. My mouth and throat feel so dry. I've been drinking about 3liters of water a day. Any suggestions?

I went through this at the end of my Whole30 for about 10 days or so. I have no idea how to fix it, other than to continue drinking lots of water, but in my experience it goes away on it's own. Hang in there!

Are you on a very low carb paleo diet?

Ketosis, in simple terms is the act of using fat as a fuel source rather than carbs, is a diuretic process.  This means that your body will use, and also expel, a significant amount of water more than you are used to when carbohydrates were used as the primary fuel source.  This is a reason why the first few weeks of paleo produce such an extreme drop in water weight.  Adding some more carbs to your diet could reduce this thirst, or as mentioned above you can just continue to drink a lot of water to replenish your body and have nothing to worry about.  Just make sure that you are taking in enough electrolytes thoughout the day (potassium, magnesium, sodium... aka eat a bannana or two :P).  There is a good chance after a while your body will just get used to it and most likely adjust to it's water needs as Katinka said... I know it happened for me, I still drink a lot more water than I did pre-paleo but I don't find myself needing to constantly drink something.

Glad I'm not alone!

Yes, I've been following primal/paleo 2 weeks now. My carbs are under 50 a day. I stopped drinking soda, sweet tea, and added sugars a little over a month ago. I rarely drank water before that. Now I drink green tea or coffee one in a while, but mostly water water water. I am limiting my fruit, only half a piece a day but not every day. I cut back on salt too. Should I up the salt a little? I can't keep bananas in my house. the kids eat them  fast as I restock.

Here is a quote from an article Mark Sisson wrote (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-marathon-fuel-muscle-cramps-and-another-dr-oz-miracle/#axzz2NMJGHcwQ) that sums up pretty well the electrolytes your body needs.  Keep in mind this was written to address the needs of a marathoner who needs to intake a lot of them, but the principle is still the same.  It's a bit of a long quote, but has a bunch of good information.

Good sources of potassium include avocados, sweet potatoespotatoes, bananas, chard, spinach, and many more. Fruits and vegetables are pretty much the best sources. Fresh meat has potassium, too, but opt for rarer meat over well-done meat, as the potassium is found in the juices. Potassium, then, is really easy to get through food. You just have to eat some plants. Animals are important too (it’s “plants and animals,†after all), but Primal Coconut water is another good (and delicious) source.

Good sources of magnesium include leafy greens, nuts, halibut, pumpkin seeds, but some people find it difficult to get enough magnesium through food. In your case (lots of cramping), taking a good supplement is probably warranted. It seemed to help pregnant women with pregnancy-related cramping in one study. As for which form to use, most people stick with one of the magnesium “-ates,†like citrate, glycinate, or malate. This guy, on the other hand, had great success with sublingual liquid magnesium.

Sodium intake must also be considered. When people switch from a diet high in refined, processed foods to a diet high in whole foods that must be prepared at home, salt intake usually drops. Furthermore, some newly Primal people assume that Primal means “no added salt.†This isn’t the case at all, but the end result is that many people who go Primal end up taking in less sodium than before. Sodium is found in, well, salt.

You also have to watch your calcium intake. Leafy greens like spinach and collard greens are excellent sources, as is dairy, if you’re into that sort of thing. Yogurt is probably the densest source of calcium, and (in my opinion) it’s also the “safest†way to eat dairy – fermentedBone-in sardines will also provide a nice whack of calcium, as will real, homemade bone broth (try to simmer it till the bones fall apart to ensure you’re getting all the minerals).

See the answer to the previous question and the referenced post for an electrolyte-rich drink that you can make for a quick remedy.

Are you very low carb – say, under 40 grams a day, enough to be a in a near-constant state of ketosis? Remember, ketosis has a diuretic effect, especially during the initial transition. With the water flush goes electrolytes, and if you never replenish them you’re likely to experience cramping. I’d also be curious about your activity levels. If you’re exercising a lot and really working up a good sweat, you’ll be losing even more water and more electrolytes. Carb intake should be tied to activity levels, as I always say.

No problem, that's what these forums are for!  Already found two others that were wondering the same thing, so hopefully it helps others out as well.  Welcome to the Rebellion as well!