curlyhairedwarrior's first challenge

No idea what I'm doing really as I just sort of stumbled upon this website today, so I hope I'm doing this right. Am I allowed to join in late?

Current stats: Height: 5'6.5" Weight: 176 lb BFP: approx 26.8 (but I reckon it's higher than that) Pushup ability: 0 

officially starting challenge 11/3/13 (so it will be a 4 week challenge for me)

Goals:

1. Weigh 168 lb or less on the 8 April 2013. [CHA 2]

Have never set myself a strict deadline for losing weight. Obviously it's just a number, but having looked at my current trend of loss I think it would really help my motivation and dedication. So I'm going go for it, losing half a stone in a month. If I don't manage it, at least my clothes will fit better.

A: 168 B: 170 C: 172 D: 174 F:176

2. Exercise every day (not including walking). [sTR 1 DEX 2 STA 2]

I am following the 30 day shred programme, so already have something in place to help me keep going. What I really need to do is make sure I do my daily plan first thing in the morning. That way, I can't have the excuse "I'm too tired" or "but I need to get this, this, this and this done today."

A: 28 days B: 25 days C: 23 days D: 21 days F: anything less than a WHOLE WEEK missed!!

3. Eat breakfast every day. [sTR 1 STA 2 CON 1]

Urgh. I hate eating breakfast. I used to feel really sick when eating in the morning but I found after a few days of forcing myself, it's ok. I just feel like such a huge number of calories can so easily be lost early on in the day. So as long as I eat something "healthy" (i.e., not crisps or mcdonald's breakfast) first thing, I'll have met this. Trickiest at weekends, so I'l need extra will power.

A: 28 days B: 24 days C: 21 days F: seriously? I am not going to let myself miss a whole week's worth of breakfasts.

4. Work towards getting up before 9.30 every day except Saturdays. [sTA 2 WIS 2]

I'm currently taking anti-depressants, which make me sooooooo tired. Not just tired, though, extremely lethargic in the mornings to the point where I can't physically get up sometimes until past 11. In order to achieve this, I'm really going to have to push push push. I have to go to bed at least 9.5 hours before my allocated get-up time. It also helps if this time is the same each day, so maybe that Saturdays thing will have to go.

A: 18 getups before 9.30, 10 before 10.30 B: 14 getups before 9.30, 10 before 10.30 C: 10 getups before 9.30, 10 before 10.30 D: 7 getups before 9.30, 7 before 10.30 F: anything below.

[After reading mini-challenge:

What I am going to do to make my goals achievable?

for goal #2: follow the 30 day shred programme. religiously. even if I'd rather eat socks.

for goal #3: be sure to have breakfast foods in that I like and keep a nice variety so I can't use "I don't fancy it" as an excuse not to.

for goal #4: go to bed at least 9.5 hours before I have to get up. No technology in the hour prior to lights off (I'm breaking that one today because I've discovered this really cool website.............)]

(what do people think about my attributes there? - not too sure)

Ok, think I've done all I need to. Maybe... hmm...

Hopefully someone will hold my hand and help me out!!!

:D

LVL 1.5 Chubby Wood Elf Adventurer [challenge 1] [challenge 1.5

21 / f / 174 lb [initial goal 154] [sw 196] / 5'7" / UK / Kongregator 

STR 3.25 DEX 2.5 STA 4.5 CON 5 WIS 5 CHA 2.25

"You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there." -- Edwin Louis Cole

Hoping to progress update every day, but if I don't here I will on my blog.

Ok.

1. weigh-in: 176.4. I will not be weighing in here every day, although I do weigh most days (who am I kidding, I weigh every day. Religiously.). The numbers will obviously fluctuate, so I'll just weigh in every monday.

Have realised that weigh alone is perhaps not the best goal I've ever set myself, as I'd be really miffed if I wasn't putting on muscle as well as losing fat, so will be using photos, clothes and measurements to evaluate progress. May have to change my grading... Need to do some research about average inch loss first though.

2. exercise: tick. I've done my 30 day shred workout and I'm off on a bike ride in a bit.

3. breakfast: tick. had my staple: ready brek with 200ml semi-skimmed milk and 1/2 tsp sugar.. yummm.

4. get up before 9.30: tick. I got up at 9.20.

So, so far so good!! It's quite amusing how psyched I am to level up.... tried explaining this to a friend and just got very strange looks.

"You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there." -- Edwin Louis Cole

Good luck on all your goals! I'd be a little concerned with the exercise every single day thing, but that's because I know my body couldn't handle it right now. If you think yours can, by all means, Kill it dead!

When I first joined, I was guided to not have a specific number goal for weight (for a 6 week challenge), rather think about the ways you can help it out. For example, mine was to eat 1900 or less calories a day.

Those are just my opinions, and remember we're all rooting for you!!

EDIT: Also, I've never heard the phrase "rather eat socks" but that's awesome! I'm going to have to start using it!

My character (currently)

Race - Troll
Class - Adventurer (training for Ranger)
Attributes
1. Strength - 3
2. Dexterity - 1
3. Stamina - 3
4. Constitution - 3
5. Wisdom - 2
6. Charisma - 3
Level - 1

Thanks, @fieroandrew! The exercise every day that I'm doing is 20 minutes of the 30 day shred, which you're meant to do every day. It's nothing too strenuous (although I just permanently ache now) and I'm doing ok with it.

Yeah, I really am starting to wonder about the benefits of a weight goal. I've never really worried about my weight fluctuating but now I'm willing the scale to drop, which obviously isn't healthy. The problem is that I already do stick to a calorie limit, I do my utmost to keep it balanced etc. That would really be no challenge. Perhaps I'll change it to something completely different? URGH I know not. Anyway.

Stick around and you might get to hear more along the lines of "eat socks", I usually just say the first thing that pops into my head!!

Good luck with your goals! :)

Progress report for today:

1. weigh-in (goal 168lb): 176. I know I said I wasn't going to weigh in here every day, but seeing as I know it, I might as well! Still not sure about this goal though.

2. exercise every day: tick. 

3. breakfast every day: tick. 

4. get up before 9.30: cross. I got up at 10, but this is ok as I can get up before 10.30 10 days and still get my A.

This is turning into an introvert day, so nothing else to say.

Some other goals that come to mind...Cutting out a problem food (cookies/biscuits, etc); Eating 5 fruits/veggies every day; Specific amount of water every day. 

I find that a 20 minute walk (weather permitting) is a great way to start the morning.  I don't walk for speed or anything, just a nice refreshing walk. 

Good luck with your goals. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Cheers, Laureleye. Yeah, I was thinking about doing the vegetable ones. I think I'm just going to stick with what I said and then see what happens/ learn from it. I try and walk an hour a day anyway, but I'm not counting it for my challenge exercise, I mean real fat burning, sweat dripping, chest heaving exercise :) so far so good. Thanks for your support and all the best with your goals too!

I totally identify with all your goals! Way to come on in and jump right into a challenge, even though it'd already started!

Go for that 30 day shred! Every time I try Jillian, she kicks my butt! If you get through it and are looking for another challenge, there are some great ones on the workouts page here.

Keep going with getting up earlier and eating breakfast! You can do it! Those are two things I struggle with too. To get up earlier, I talked to a family member who's already up before I have to be and asked them to call me to make sure that I've woken up and got moving. That definitely helped. But you seem to have a handle on what you're doing for that.

You're well on your way to great challenge results!

Level 2 Half-Giant | Adventurer

**aspiring to Druid/Scout hybrid and Wood Elf-dom**

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 4.5 | WIS: 6.75 | CHA: 6

Walk to Mordor | Epic Quest | Recovery Journey

I have a why. This is my how.

I totally identify with all your goals! Way to come on in and jump right into a challenge, even though it'd already started!

Go for that 30 day shred! Every time I try Jillian, she kicks my butt! If you get through it and are looking for another challenge, there are some great ones on the workouts page here.

Keep going with getting up earlier and eating breakfast! You can do it! Those are two things I struggle with too. To get up earlier, I talked to a family member who's already up before I have to be and asked them to call me to make sure that I've woken up and got moving. That definitely helped. But you seem to have a handle on what you're doing for that.

You're well on your way to great challenge results!

Hey, jnicole, your message was brill to wake up to, so thanks :)

I'm loving the 30 day shred, day 7 today and I'm actually noticing the difference! 

Yeah, i'm medicated for depression and either the depression or the pills make is soooooo hard to get up, but I feel terrible when I don't! So it's a really important one for me. My technique was to make an excel spreadsheet with pretty colours and input what time I got up. It totals them for me in calories and gives me a nice pie chart of whether I'm green, orange or red, which is VERY motivating (I love formulae and graphs etc (in a very non-technical way)).

Thanks so much for your support, it means the world!

Day 4 of the challenge, and this is how I'm doing so far:

1. weigh-in (goal 168lb): 175.8. Uh-oh. That is all. No way am I going to make it with this kind of rubbishy progress. Still. Measure day tomorrow!

2. exercise every day: tick. So far so good, well on track with this one.

3. breakfast every day: tick. Woo. This seems to be going well. It helps having this and the exercise every day one together cause I workout in the morning, and before I can work out I have to have breakfast, so. Go me!

4. get up before 9.30: good so far. I've had 2 before 9.30 and 2 before 10. Going to try for 70% before 9.30 get ups. I can do this!

Thanks for all the support so far :) whee can't wait to level up!

You're right...I think we might be the same person. I'm 5'7", and weigh about 180!

Right there with you on the spreadsheets and charts. I make them for EVERYTHING.

Don't be discouraged by your weight loss goal. I found that for me, my weight will fluctuate every day, but if I'm consistently exercising and being "boring", one day it's like several pounds just disappeared. Waking up, getting moving, exercising, and eating breakfast will put you on your way to great habits that will eventually get you to the weight you want. Be Patient! :)

You've got this well in hand. Keep it up!

You're right...I think we might be the same person. I'm 5'7", and weigh about 180!

Right there with you on the spreadsheets and charts. I make them for EVERYTHING.

Don't be discouraged by your weight loss goal. I found that for me, my weight will fluctuate every day, but if I'm consistently exercising and being "boring", one day it's like several pounds just disappeared. Waking up, getting moving, exercising, and eating breakfast will put you on your way to great habits that will eventually get you to the weight you want. Be Patient! :)

You've got this well in hand. Keep it up!

I went to the doctors yesterday, and she told me that I've been 5'7" since I was 17, who knew. EXCITEMENT. YAY. 

Thanks for your support, exactly what I needed to hear after a disappointing .8 loss this week (fri to fri). 

You too!

[edited because I managed to quote 3 times.... *duh*]

URGH. Have been so ill; haven't exercised since friday and have eaten junk etc (although within my maintenance limits so hopefully haven't put on too much!) boo boo boo so unmotivated to get back to workouts now I'm feeling better and to top it all off woke up super late on 3 of the days, so have shamed myself into failure. I think my goals were WAY too optimistic and no room for human things like illness. Still I want my points if I can get them!

Slowly creeping back.

Hey!

How have things been for you this week? I had a rough week 4, and getting that momentum back has been difficult, but not impossible. Are you feeling better? Being sick and trying to eat well do not often go hand in hand, so don't beat yourself up about it. Especially on your first challenge.

You can do this! Just take it one day at a time, and slowly but surely, good things will happen.

Hope you're well and this week has gone better for you!

I just posted on jnicole's thread that I'm giving up on this quest, but actually looking at what I have achieved in these four weeks and what I'd planned to, I don't think I've failed quite as badly as I'd thought.

After having a "week off" because of illness and then almost another week off for lack of motivation, I thought I'd ruined everything...

But I'm reviewing my goals:

1. weigh-in (goal 168lb): 174. I'm writing this on the Sunday night so I'm not about to weigh, but I'll guesstimate and if I get a chance tomorrow morning (don't always have access to the scales), I'll confirm/ edit.

Considering the month that I've had this loss is... terrible. I seriously could have easily done 3 pounds better, but when I fell ill I got peanut butter cravings, and it was all downhill once I had that jar in my clammy fist. I've just started eating wheat-free, which is awesomeeeeee. Hopefully it won't be long until I do reach that coveted goal of 168.

This gives me a grade of and CHA+.25

If this challenge and this month has taught me anything, it's that weight goals are stupid. Yeah, it's good to know how much you weigh and what to aim for. But honestly I think it's really detrimental to me emotionally wise. It makes a rise of even .2 of a pound seem like the end of the world! I think for the next challenge I'm going to do exactly the opposite, and cut down my weighing.

2. exercise every day: This one I did really well with. Although I haven't recorded what I did for everyday, I missed a total of 5 days, I think (ish). Well anyway, somewhere in there I did a 5 mile and a 9 mile walk, so they can be classed as 2. I actually stopped doing the 30 ds after day... 12, I think it was, just because it's so boring to do the same thing everyday! So I've switched up for 3 days HIIT/ endurance jogging/ bike riding and 3 days abs/ strength. MUCH BETTER.

So I get a grade for this, STR+.25 DEX+.5 STA+.5

3. breakfast every day: I'm unbelievably proud of this one. I have eaten breakfast every single day. For literally years I've not eaten breakfast, and now I find myself making room for it as something necessary. I love the feeling of being full right from when I get up and it helps me to manage my eating throughout the rest of my day, so YAY ME. A well-deserved A. STR+1 STA+2 CON+1

4. get up before 9.30: At the start I found this one really difficult, and when I was ill it just didn't happen, so it's difficult for me to measure this fairly. For the past week and a bit, I've managed to get up every single day before 9.30, which is incredible and mind-blowing and deserves a medal on its own. But that's not what I said I was going to reward. I'm going to give myself a grade for this, basically because I'm pretty sure I've done much better than a C and because I'm really very proud of what I've achieved. STA+1 WIS+1

What I've learnt

• it's ok to be imperfect.
    At the start of this challenge, I set myself really strict goals, most of which left no room for failure. While I believe it's good to have faith in yourself, what I found was that the minute something went wrong, I'd immediately failed. This obviously negatively affected my motivation, and my goals became a burden rather than an encouragement.

For the next challenge I will...
    Set myself more realistic goals with room for manoeuverability.

• "I will weigh x by y" does not work for me.
    I started this challenge at 176. I aimed to weigh 168 by the end. I weigh 174. I got a D grade. But d'ya know what? I lost 2 lb. Hopefully of fat. I don't want to feel like a failure when I've moved my life in the right direction. So I will not set myself a weight loss goal for a challenge again. It was an achievable one, but I didn't achieve it. And that's ok.

For the next challenge I will...
    Set goals that will lead to healthy weight loss rather than aiming for the number itself.

• I can level up my life.
    Both as part of this challenge and because of life in general, this month I've surprised myself. I ate breakfast every day for a whole month. I exercised for a higher percentage than I've ever done before, and enjoyed it. I accepted a challenge and accountability, even if I sort of gave up. I listened to my body, and made a "life-changing" decision to remove wheat from my diet. I can make changes, and I will make changes.
    ​

I deserve to level up, because I have levelled up. My life is better than it was before I started this challenge. I'm 2 pounds lighter, have lost 4.75 inches in total from my body (well technically more because I only measure the left limbs), have learnt to structure, manage and enjoy my exercise and have eaten a good breakfast every day. 

I'm a curly-haired warrior and I'm awesome. 

CHA +.25 ¦ STR +1.25 ¦ DEX +.5 ¦ STA +3.5 ¦ CON +1 ¦ WIS +1

NOTE: because I didn't do a full 6 week challenge and because it was a bit lackluster I'm going to level up half a level and then go for level 2 next challenge :) 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines