Massive Earthquakes in Japan

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/03/11/bpr.lah.japan.quake.cnn?hpt=T1

The main one was an 8.9. There have been multiple aftershocks, including a 7.1 offshore. Tsunamis causing massive damage (they showed footage from NHK with huges fires floating on the water and fleeing cars trapped) and tsunami warnings issued for every place on a direct line with the west coast of Japan.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

From reading the news it sounds like the earthquake did do to much damage, still a few million dollars worth, but it was the tsunami that did most of the damage.

Japan is a wealthy country that deals with earthquakes on a regular basis. They build for them. So yes, even though the earthquakes caused some fires including a major one at an oil refinery in Chiba, a prefecture adjacent to Tokyo, the tsunamis have really been the problem.

There is the issue of a nuclear power plant in Fukushima on the verge of going critical, but they issued a warning and began evacuating people near the plant about 12 hours ago. The US Air Force is flying in additional coolant; I don't know if it's leaking somewhere or if it's just evaporating because of building heat, even though the plant shut down automatically when the earthquake happened.

As of about an hour ago, Japan was still seeing 3-4 earthquakes an hour, though I haven't seen any announcements of a new one since getting back to my dorm about 15 minutes ago.

Japan is a wealthy country that deals with earthquakes on a regular basis. They build for them. So yes, even though the earthquakes caused some fires including a major one at an oil refinery in Chiba, a prefecture adjacent to Tokyo, the tsunamis have really been the problem.

There is the issue of a nuclear power plant in Fukushima on the verge of going critical, but they issued a warning and began evacuating people near the plant about 12 hours ago. The US Air Force is flying in additional coolant; I don't know if it's leaking somewhere or if it's just evaporating because of building heat, even though the plant shut down automatically when the earthquake happened.

As of about an hour ago, Japan was still seeing 3-4 earthquakes an hour, though I haven't seen any announcements of a new one since getting back to my dorm about 15 minutes ago.

They've been debating if they want to release some of the pressure to help cool it down. It may have some radiation, but at least the people are already evacuated.

They've released pressure a couple of times. One reactor's outer casing blew up and another is trying to do the same thing. The best source I've seen for English-language news on the situation is BBC News.

Radiation is definitely leaking now, and they fear an explosion at the third reactor much like the first one. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12724953