Swedish "real" looking mannequins

So this morning my attention was drawn to this article:

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/swedish-mannequins-cause-a-controversy--192108535.html

The TLDR is that there is a shop in Sweden using these mannequins that are supposed to be a more realistic shape. 

910a937e-ef4d-417a-ab58-d2e935c69776_swe

I'm glad this has happened, it would be great to see how clothes are supposed to look on someone that isn't an unrealistic size and shape. I am pretty overweight so most of my shopping is done online, but when I do go to actual shops, I always see mannequins wearing clothes that are pinned, or belted because they are too big even for the crazy skinny mannequin. 

I realise that not every body type can be represented in shops, but it's nice that a more universally relate-able body size is being used. 

The flip side of this that is raised in the comments section of the article, is that people shouldn't be basing their self esteem on mannequins in shops and if you feel insecure when going into a shop because of the size of the clothing on display, then that speaks more about your issues than anything else. I haven't quite decided on that. I don't think anyone bases their self esteem solely on mannequins, but combine that with other contributing factors like pressure from the media, family, yourself, it becomes a different matter entirely. 

Anyway, I jut thought this might be an interesting discussion from a fitness perspective.

p.s. Don't both reading the comments. I did, and it was a bad idea. I had to remind myself of this brilliant twitter account: https://twitter.com/AvoidComments

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

Even for guys having unreal models/mannequins is an issue, but I imagine it is a serious problem for women.

I mean, the point of mannequins/models is to sell you clothes by showing how they may look on you. What is the point if they don't look like you?

It is so weird that the modeling industry in general has drifted so far from reality to be nearly completely useless for their actual job description. And there is pretty widespread agreement that they are completely useless for their actual job description. Yet whenever something comes up that approaches actually fitting their job description, there are always loud haters.

OTOH I think were that a real lady, she'd be lookin pretty fly.  That's a nice curvy hourglass with outer ab lines.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Call me crazy, but dem is some gud curves.

TheBBP, level 1 Jedi Adventurer
STR 5|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

Hebrews 12:11-13
“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.â€

I'm a chick but I gotta agree with TheBBP; the mannequin actually has boobs and hips. Makes me happy.

This!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

god I want to say- man she could be a little trimmer/fitter...

The mannequin!? Are you kidding!?

I think this is a really positive move, I just find it depressing that a size 10 can be perceived as 'overweight'.

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

The front one?  yeah- I prefer a more athletic curved girl- so to me I see- oh she needs to be more muscled.  :)  I like muscles. 

But yes I agree- positive step.  I'd say it annoys me tremendously that according to 3/4 of the charts/social media/fashion/BMI things I"m obese. 

Bitch please I'm fabulous.  lol

The front one?  yeah- I prefer a more athletic curved girl- so to me I see- oh she needs to be more muscled.   :)  I like muscles. 

One of our sportswear stores had some fab hardbody mannequins you would have loved.  Totally OTT but mm, shiny plastic lady-delts.  

I wonder where they've gone?

What I really like is that the mannequin is right beside a more traditionally-sized mannequin.  The spread of sizes in a regular store is very wide, and it's silly to have mannequins for just the smallest sizes.

Size 10-12(ish) mannequins have been around for years, but are only used in size 14+ stores.  Meanwhile, a store selling sizes 00 to 18 is using mannequins so small that the size 00 clothes have to be pinned.  It's madness!  Showcase what you're actually selling, stores!

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun