Guys, seriously, I need some friends.

I've been on this site forever and I still find it hard to contribute anything of value. I'm right there with you on that part. haha

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Well you have to just jump in somewhere and "blurt" your thoughts out....well that is what I do because I don't usually have anything educational to say so I just write what comes into my head and hope for the best.  

So why did you join Nerd Fitness?  I joined to try and make friends with similar interests and to build up a sort of support system while I try to level up my life.  I see on your profile page you are into martial arts...can't remember the exact name you used....but any ways how is that going?  Do you have any other goals fitness/health wise that you are working on?  One of my goals is to get more into callisthenics and doing "graceful" tricks with my body....I am far from graceful at the moment....

I love reading more fantasy books myself but have heard a lot of great things about the Enderverse series so that is on my list of things to read....right after I watch all the Star Wars movies.   I think I had only seen the first one ever so I was shocked to find out there are 6 Star Wars movies....I have watched #1 and #2 so far....maybe I will watch #3 this evening.  I am also going to re-watch Lord of The Rings once I am done the Star Wars set.  The last books I read were the Game of Thrones Series (can't wait for the next book to come out), I did recently watch the second season of the Game of Thrones series and I have to say I was sort of disappointed by how different it was from the book.  I am usually pretty apprehensive about watching movies that are made from books I have read because they are always a little different and it drives me nuts!   

Any ways I am done gibbering on about myself, tell us about YOU!  :D

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

I will agree, sometimes it is hard. There are a TON of posts to go through and I never feel like reading the whole thing. Which is why I like to visit The Pub often! Skim through the titles, find one that catches your interest and get in on it, OR start your own topic (: Another fun thing I like to do is just message random people throughout the day and see where the conversation leads! Fun stuff! I used to feel the same about anything in general as far as the not feeling like you have something useful to add, BUT when you push yourself through that uncomfortable feeling, you'll be surprised what can come out of it! Have fun, the site is only semi-serious from what I'm gathering :P 

Well you have to just jump in somewhere and "blurt" your thoughts out....well that is what I do because I don't usually have anything educational to say so I just write what comes into my head and hope for the best.  

So why did you join Nerd Fitness?  I joined to try and make friends with similar interests and to build up a sort of support system while I try to level up my life.  I see on your profile page you are into martial arts...can't remember the exact name you used....but any ways how is that going?  Do you have any other goals fitness/health wise that you are working on?  One of my goals is to get more into callisthenics and doing "graceful" tricks with my body....I am far from graceful at the moment....

I love reading more fantasy books myself but have heard a lot of great things about the Enderverse series so that is on my list of things to read....right after I watch all the Star Wars movies.   I think I had only seen the first one ever so I was shocked to find out there are 6 Star Wars movies....I have watched #1 and #2 so far....maybe I will watch #3 this evening.  I am also going to re-watch Lord of The Rings once I am done the Star Wars set.  The last books I read were the Game of Thrones Series (can't wait for the next book to come out), I did recently watch the second season of the Game of Thrones series and I have to say I was sort of disappointed by how different it was from the book.  I am usually pretty apprehensive about watching movies that are made from books I have read because they are always a little different and it drives me nuts!   

Any ways I am done gibbering on about myself, tell us about YOU!   :D

#3 is one of my all-time favorites! My wife couldn't get into the first one, and so she decided to watch #3 with me and that sparked her interest a bit more :P I love the first one because of Jar-Jar. Everyone seems to hate him ever since that came out, but I think he's funny :D I remember seeing the movie in theaters as a child. Fun stuff! 4, 5 and 6 are a little harder to get into as well, as they are OLD movies :D but they are worth watching once in a while. I'm HOPING that #7 will be awesome and worth watching! They got the original actors for Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia for it, so it better be good!

Elder, I urge you to read Enders Game. It sat on my book shelf for at least 6 months (because thats what I do, comfort buy books and take ages to get around to reading them) before I finally picked it up to read it, and could not put it down. its one of the best books I have ever read. I'm enjoying working my way through the series now.

I joined NerdFitness because it sounded pretty awesome. I think its hard sometimes to see that intelligent people can be interested in sport and fitness. But I think people with a brain can actually get a lot from it, and its great when someone thinks that because you are the geeky one who can produce the right Harry Potter spell to do the right action, you are gonna be a push over, or not be able to do long distance running etc.

Martial arts is going good, got my black belt a few years ago and love doing it. Its a very rewarding hobby, not just about improving myself, but helping the lower grades climb the ranks, whether they be 8 years old or 80 years old, its brilliant watching them progress and seeing them use the things you've taught them to show others.

What fantasy books do you read? I've just started reading 2061 Odyssey Three. Read the 2 previous ones a while ago and finally got round to picking this one up. Arthur C. Clarke is a great writer and is really easy to read.

I watched all the extended edition LOTR movies over 2 days, a couple of weeks ago. It actually felt like I'd gone on the journey myself by the end of it. Worth watching them in a relatively short space of time to get the most of it.

Synyster, I'm gonna have to disagree about Jar Jar Binks, but each to their own. Darth Maul is my favourite character from that movie, and its in that movie that you first see how good lightsaber battles can be

Darth Maul is awesome, I will agree on that. Other than the part where he gets cut in half easily :P I love the dark side of the force, probably because it fits my gothic/nerdy stuff! And I definitely agree with that. It seemed at that movie, making the lightsaber battles more intense was one of their big focus points for 2 and 3. All in all, through every movie Darth Vader is my all time favorite :P

Ha well I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Wow you really have been on for a long time. What do you use it for mostly? if you don't mind my asking

I use it for motivation, advice, and to keep myself accountable. I try really hard to be social but it's always been a difficult task for me. lol

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Darth Vader is a pretty imposing character, but I think I actually prefer him as Anakin when he's turning evil. He has that lust for power, and the tragedy with losing Padme makes him crazy. Plus he's awesome with a lightsaber. Episodes II and III were not the best films, but the action is amazing, very well choreographed, and I think they get better every time you watch them. Reading the books set in the same sort of time period is really good to add extra depth to the characters, especially Palpatine, you see how many pies he had his fingers in and all the ways he manipulates the galaxy to eventually take over it.

I used to love reading the books back in the day. I actually want to get back into them. Even the ones that have nothing to do with the movie series. I loved how a lot of them would go into detail with how they build their lightsabers and what it required to make them work. I always had this goal build at least ONE lightsaber of my own. I have yet to do that :/

Ok just watched #3....Whaaaaat!  I didn't see that coming...but now I know where Luke and Leia come from.  I agree with you marcwitheresea, I like bad Anakin better than Darth Vadar.  So far though I am Light Side all the way!  It's funny though....I keep expecting Obi-Wan Kenobi to break out singing "Your Song" from Moulin Rouge.  Hahaha  Maybe #4 tomorrow...?

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Ok just watched #3....Whaaaaat!  I didn't see that coming...but now I know where Luke and Leia come from.  I agree with you marcwitheresea, I like bad Anakin better than Darth Vadar.  So far though I am Light Side all the way!  It's funny though....I keep expecting Obi-Wan Kenobi to break out singing "Your Song" from Moulin Rouge.  Hahaha  Maybe #4 tomorrow...?

Go for it! It'll all start falling together as you watch them :P 

It'll be interesting to hear someone's point of view who is watching the films for the first time in chronological order. I, like most people, saw the original 3  movies and then later on watched the prequels. So all along I knew where it was heading but was interesting watching the roads it took to get there.

Whys there so much focus on Dark side and Light side of the force? The Jedi and the Sith are the polar extremes of force users. I think the Sith are way too caught up in trying to conquer the galaxy. But the Jedi can never be as in tuned with the force as fully possible because they shun so much of it. If the force is so brilliant and powerful, why would it create the Dark side (and all the grey bits in between) if it doesn't want them to be used. What's everyone else's thoughts?

It'll be interesting to hear someone's point of view who is watching the films for the first time in chronological order. I, like most people, saw the original 3  movies and then later on watched the prequels. So all along I knew where it was heading but was interesting watching the roads it took to get there.

Whys there so much focus on Dark side and Light side of the force? The Jedi and the Sith are the polar extremes of force users. I think the Sith are way too caught up in trying to conquer the galaxy. But the Jedi can never be as in tuned with the force as fully possible because they shun so much of it. If the force is so brilliant and powerful, why would it create the Dark side (and all the grey bits in between) if it doesn't want them to be used. What's everyone else's thoughts?

It will definitely be an interesting thing to hear!

And...that's a good question. I never really thought of it like that. Maybe, going back in time before the rise of the Empire and Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine, before the movies, there were force users that new all parts of the force and didn't shun a part. All the sudden someone comes up out of no where and says "This stuff is bad, stay away from it. We'll call ourselves Jedi." And that is where the separating had begun? I look back at games and books that take you to before this era in time, and, though it's been a while now, that is how I remember it, in a nutshell. The ones that new all ways the force could be used became too powerful and it put a fear in people that didn't know a thing about it or how to use it, and so separating began.

have you participated in any of the challenges?  that is a great way to get involved more w/the forums.  especially if you pick a guild that is smaller than say the adventurers.  i'm in the Druid guild at the moment - not many folks there - so we are all getting to know each other pretty well.

i'm sure that like most "religion" or philosophies or whatever - the force had something a little less polarized in mind.  you are right - if the dark side is so bad why have it??  it is a necessary thing probably.  without the dark side - is there a value to the light?  and honestly, are the jedi so perfect? they suffer some pretty ridiculous levels of pride and hubris.  they are always so sure they are right.  that their decisions are best.  Let's save Anakin from slavery but leave everyone else there.  They always seem to be quick to fight and kill.  No mercy, etc. There is an argument to be made.  And let's not forget, it is a movie franchise and it has to be exciting.  Or no one would pay for it.

Have you ever read the NightWatch series?  Forget the movies (they are ok - books are better).  They have a similar idea - light side and dark side.  but the central characters have a lot of discussion about good vs evil and their purpose etc.  the main character is constantly struggling with whether or not the light side is right.  its pretty good reading. 

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

You guys have some good points, too much light side is just as dangerous as too much dark side.  For there to be balance in the universe there has to be an equal amount of both.  Well no that's not it....the dark side and the light side need to come together and create something new so that everyone can have the best of both sides.  I am sure there is some good information and talents on the dark side that the other guys could use and visa-versa. 

It's hard to say, ultimately there should be total peace throughout the universe and everyone should be all knowing.  But there will always be those beings who want to know more and want to be more powerful and want to rule the world, and that is why there will always be a need for the complete opposite in order to try and keep the power hungry fiends at bay.  

I do agree with what you've said about the Jedi and I have come to the conclusion that I am a little less light side....say maybe 60/40... :D  

I'm going to watch #4 tonight so stay tuned!

I personally prefer the way that Goto (G0-T0 from Stars Wars Knights of the Old Republic) summed it up. When talking to the Exile he tells them that he wants them to stop the, and this is a paraphrase, "infighting of this religious order" and bring stability to the Galaxy.  He basically summed it up as the Sith and the Jedi are just two different groups that have opposing ideologies that are pulling the galaxy apart around their wars. 

It also amused me that he didn't care who won as he was going to do his thing either way. That said I lean pretty heavily towards the light side.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

You guys have some good points, too much light side is just as dangerous as too much dark side.  For there to be balance in the universe there has to be an equal amount of both.  Well no that's not it....the dark side and the light side need to come together and create something new so that everyone can have the best of both sides.  I am sure there is some good information and talents on the dark side that the other guys could use and visa-versa. 

It's hard to say, ultimately there should be total peace throughout the universe and everyone should be all knowing.  But there will always be those beings who want to know more and want to be more powerful and want to rule the world, and that is why there will always be a need for the complete opposite in order to try and keep the power hungry fiends at bay.  

I do agree with what you've said about the Jedi and I have come to the conclusion that I am a little less light side....say maybe 60/40... :D

Let us know your opinion soon as you finish!

I personally prefer the way that Goto (G0-T0 from Stars Wars Knights of the Old Republic) summed it up. When talking to the Exile he tells them that he wants them to stop the, and this is a paraphrase, "infighting of this religious order" and bring stability to the Galaxy.  He basically summed it up as the Sith and the Jedi are just two different groups that have opposing ideologies that are pulling the galaxy apart around their wars. 

It also amused me that he didn't care who won as he was going to do his thing either way. That said I lean pretty heavily towards the light side.

This is why I loved the KOTOR series :P Awesome stuff.

BUT!

Dark side. All the way. (:

There's a quote "The Force is like duct tape, it has a Light side, a Dark side, and it hold the universe together". I don't think you could have one with out the other. Its just a shame that they are so opposite. I think if there was a third option, some grey are in between, the Jedi and the Sith would both hate it.I know there was a group of Jedi that strayed from the others that actually allowed marriages and encouraged relationships. It makes sense that to be the Light side, you must be able to embrace love. Theres also Dark Jedi, who don't really accomplish much because they're too self involved.

I'm probably about 70/30 toward Dark. You've gotta love the electric powers.

Let us know your opinion soon as you finish!

This is why I loved the KOTOR series :tongue: Awesome stuff.

BUT!

Dark side. All the way. (:

Which is the good KOTOR stuff? I haven't played the games at all. I've read Revan, Deceived, Fatal alliance, and Lost tribe of the Sith. Also read the Darth Bane trilogy which I thought were pretty amazing

I have not seen the Darth Bane trilogy, I'll have to look into that. The games follow Revan all the way, you actually are Revan in the first one. It's been quite some time, but I believe the second one somewhat follows Revan, but goes on to someone different? Could be wrong! I was really hoping that the old republic online was going to be awesome, but when I played BETA it wasn't all that awesome. Granted, I didn't pay much attention to the story then, and I wish I would have :( Haha. I am definitely going to look into the books for Darth Bane now though!