Thinking of Trying Assassin Route during next 6WC; No idea how to prepare

Hey,

Ok so I'm going to be a 100% honest and say up front that I'm 5'5", 230lbs, and have no upper body strength/idea what I'm doing. I've also been away from NF for about 6 months, though I haven't stopped exercising. I go to a yoga class 2-3 times a week and also attend a core conditioning Pilates (not mat, weights and BW) class once a week on Fridays. There's usually also another class in there, but it's something like another Yoga or a Zumba or something. (I work at a gym so classes are free, and I don't have a routine built for myself yet.) I don't have great core- to upper-strength or balance but I'm pretty sturdy and my legs are decently powerful.

BUT, for the next 6WC, I'd like to dip my toes into the Assasin's den. I've always meant to since I find the mentality of "every challenge in life is just an obstacle to be climbed over" pretty close to my own and taking it literally would be really fun. I have also always meant to get into freerunning or parkour but the few times I've gone to meetings around where I live I've been the sole short, non-athletic, female person there and it never felt like I fit in.

So I would like some help devising a routine that I could start that would help me prepare for the next 6WC. I would probably still be attending Yoga courses Wed, Thu, and Sun to help with mood, flexibility, and endurance, but all other days of the week I don't have something I feel compelled to go to.

Thanks for your help,

Oxford

What doesn't kill me makes me smarter.

I'm not sure where you live, or how safe it is around there, but I would suggest an expanding circle endurance run to get yourself up there and in shape.  When I started working the Assassin's path (long before I found this site), I could only run .5 miles, but I ran it, and ran it as fast as I could even if it left that copper taste in my mouth and fire was spewing from my lungs.  That turned into a mile, which turned into 2 which turned into 4.75 miles which turned into 4.75 miles in 28 Minutes.  If possible I'd find some kind of tracker that counts your distance/time, and if you can get into a set route just keep at it.  I know it's embarrassing to get out there and go running, but you'll be surprised how many people genuinely will support you (though I never had to worry about catcallers, rofl.)

From there I'd start getting into the more explosive, H.I.I.T. workouts, you'll be amazed how much fat you can cut just running and eating right (keep up the strength training though it'll produce more enduring gains throughout the day.)

Race: Deva | STR: 5  DEX: 4  STA: 4  CON: 3  WIS: 4  CHA: 2

! = Inactive ! = Active/Non-Focus ! = Active/Main Focus

Wizard Lv. 5 Monk Lv. 1 Assassin Lv. 2 

CURRENT CHALLENGE: ZachAcid - Tutorial Finished: C! Next Phase: Conditioning

BATTLE LOG: Experience Box (BLLVL: 2)

PROGRAMMING: Reshaping My Body for Parkour

QUEST: The Quest of A Buddha

Yay, more assassins! We'd love to have you. A lot of us started with Steve's beginner bodyweight workout, which is a good jumping-off point: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/. Another good starting point is reddit's rank beginner routine: http://i.imgur.com/MwbAD.png, don't let the name drive you away, it's a good workout with progressions you can follow as you get stronger.

I'm not much into the parkour side of the assassin guild, but hopefully one of them will drop in with info on that. I'm with you on not enjoying running, so focusing on strength through bodyweight movement is what I know about. Also, cruise through the current assassins' challenge threads, and see what inspires you. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

I feel you, when running is the worst thing you got in your arsenal, it takes time to improve and see gains.  Initially like most working out the gains will be high, and you'll plateau if you don't throw variation into your workout.

Race: Deva | STR: 5  DEX: 4  STA: 4  CON: 3  WIS: 4  CHA: 2

! = Inactive ! = Active/Non-Focus ! = Active/Main Focus

Wizard Lv. 5 Monk Lv. 1 Assassin Lv. 2 

CURRENT CHALLENGE: ZachAcid - Tutorial Finished: C! Next Phase: Conditioning

BATTLE LOG: Experience Box (BLLVL: 2)

PROGRAMMING: Reshaping My Body for Parkour

QUEST: The Quest of A Buddha

I agree with Aeryn about Steve's Beginner Bodyweight Workout. I'm the same as you, with weaker upper body and stronger lower body, so I ended up taking the lower body exercised from the Advanced Bodyweight Workout and the upper body stuff from the Beginner, mashing them together, and BAM, I had a workout routine. I've changed things up/added to it over time, but that was a good starting place for me.

There are other ways besides running to work on your cardio/conditioning. There are various circuits you can do, like the Tough Mudder training routines, and all sorts of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workouts that you can do that can help with that kind of stuff. I'm not an expert on that, I don't really do much of that and am an (unwilling) runner due to my specific goals. My future will contain that type of conditioning work, though, and much less running.

That said, if you want to get into freerunning/parkour, you're going to have to run at some point. Shorter distances and sprinting might be better for that than distance running, but longer distances will help you build up your overall endurance. This article about beginner parkour could be helpful to you, it's got some great tips, and I incorporated a few of the exercises on there into my regular routine (I'm interested in parkour too, but am far away from even vaulting a wall at this point...).

I concur with Obax and Aeryn...those Beginner and Advanced BW routines are legit and great starting points for training BW :) As far as parkout goes, I've been messing around with it off and on for about 5 years now. The key to parkour is PATIENCE. Parkour is not jumping off buildings or doing a double corkscrew with a landing roll...its however YOU get from point A to point B.. so progress however fast/slow you want. And most importantly, have fun :)

Parkour should, first and foremost, always be FUN, lol. As one of the Rebel Assassins, I welcome you with open arms to the next 6WC!! We'd love to have ya aboard!

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 1 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Knight Radiant/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: MIGHT: 9 / CONSTITUTION: 6 / DEXTERITY: 8 / PERCEPTION: 7 / INTELLECT: 6 / RESOLVE: 10

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The First Ideal

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I am putting together my routine for the 6WC from your advice, and this is what it looks like so far:

Monday= BBWW

Tuesday= Couch25K

Wednesday= Yoga (opt. BBWW)

Thursday= C25K (opt. Yoga)

Friday= C25K (or Kickboxing)

Saturday= BBWW (or Kickboxing)

Sunday= Yoga (and/or C25K, if Fri Kickboxing)

I've tried to think about my work schedule for each day, as well. I also know that I'll be attending a Kickboxing class with two other Rebels on either Friday or Saturdays depending, which will hopefully keep me on track.

What doesn't kill me makes me smarter.

Ohhh I like this thread as I want to be an assassin too!  

For running I have started using the Zombies 5k Training app and then I will progress to the Zombies Run! app.  It's fun so far because you are pretending to be in a sort of zombie land.  It takes my mind of the actual monotony of running.  I am also waiting for the story to scare the hell out of me so I can randomly jump and scream while other runners are going by.  

I still need to work on the rest of my workout routine.  I have been doing some beginner bodyweight routines as well but I need to step it up a notch to keep my self challenged.   

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Yes I am going to do the 6WC coming up, it will be my first!  Thanks, I am great at encouraging and supporting other people but I stink at self encouragement. 

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

I'm starting the new challenge as an assassin, it's my first challenge ever! Since I'm in the same boat as you concerning the giving of encouragement but failing to give any to myself, I'd love to give you a push every once in a while! Elder also! I also dislike running, mostly because of the monotony of long distance running. It forces me to be alone in my head...sometimes it's a scary place  :sorrow:

lvl 1 dwarf assassin :D