• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

pwallace

Maine Meet up?!?!?!?!??!

SOOOO is anyone else wishing that the 5k was in a week or two so we could just get the meetup happening already? doin the last mission of week 1 for zombies 5k! getting ready to Nerdwin!

Haha weeeellll, I def wish the meetup was happening like TODAY, but I am not ready for the 5k yet!  Still in the middle of my training program.  But yaah, now that I know there are so many Mainers on NF, I want to meet y'all already.

I'll just put this out there, no pressure....I am a co-organizer of a Meetup.Com group called the Funishers.  We've only done a couple activities so far, but the other organizer and his wife are huge nerds too, so we are always looking for more nerdy folk to do stuff with.  And I personally am always looking for people to play tabletop games with....I loooove tabletop gaming.  I play with J all the time, but playing with your partner exclusively just isn't the same as playing with friends too.  :)  So if any of y'all Mainers want to join the Funishers, there is an event up on that site for the Bands on the Run 5k, and we're doing a May 1 icebreaker at a restaurant in Wilton.  Among other activities planned for this summer (not scheduled yet) are: a Casco Bay Cruise, Portland Art Museum, fishing, hiking some area peaks (I have my sights set on Tumbledown and Mt Blue), game nights, movie nights, etc. 

SOOOO is anyone else wishing that the 5k was in a week or two so we could just get the meetup happening already? doin the last mission of week 1 for zombies 5k! getting ready to Nerdwin!

Basically torn between impatience and wondering if I'll be ready for the sooner 5k in Farmington (April 28th, if anyone else is interested...)

I'll just put this out there, no pressure....I am a co-organizer of a Meetup.Com group called the Funishers. We've only done a couple activities so far, but the other organizer and his wife are huge nerds too, so we are always looking for more nerdy folk to do stuff with. And I personally am always looking for people to play tabletop games with....I loooove tabletop gaming. I play with J all the time, but playing with your partner exclusively just isn't the same as playing with friends too. :) So if any of y'all Mainers want to join the Funishers, there is an event up on that site for the Bands on the Run 5k, and we're doing a May 1 icebreaker at a restaurant in Wilton. Among other activities planned for this summer (not scheduled yet) are: a Casco Bay Cruise, Portland Art Museum, fishing, hiking some area peaks (I have my sights set on Tumbledown and Mt Blue), game nights, movie nights, etc.

I keep forgetting to go back to the meetup website! Will do that today!  (I can't make the 1st of May, but will definitely check out the rest!)

Basically torn between impatience and wondering if I'll be ready for the sooner 5k in Farmington (April 28th, if anyone else is interested...)

Yeah I'm wondering about that too.  I'm still planning on doing the Farmington 5k, but I think in my training program I will be up to running 2 miles or so at a pop by the time that race arrives.  I'm prepared for taking a lot of walk breaks.  The Farmington 5k for me is kindof a warm-up, a sortof "hey, let's just do this for fun, as part of the larger 5k training program!"  The BotR 5k in June is what I've set my sights on for serious running.  By the June race, I will have gotten up to running 4 miles, so I should be able to perform well at the 5k.

I'd be up for joining a 5k and a get together.  Looks like I really need to start running.

Woot! That's what, six of us here in Maine? Soon there will be more Rebels/population than anywhere else in the world!

The member map is either broken or too spiffy for my old computer... so I couldn't see if you posted a location or not.

So in order to train for our 5 k I ran up a mountain yesterday...okay more walked/dragged my sorry butt up a mountain. THAT WAS TOUGH!!!! I want to do it a few more times that way I appreciate how flat our run will be. how goes everyone elses training?

So in order to train for our 5 k I ran up a mountain yesterday...okay more walked/dragged my sorry butt up a mountain. THAT WAS TOUGH!!!! I want to do it a few more times that way I appreciate how flat our run will be. how goes everyone elses training?

AWESOME.  :)  Mayhaps you will consider the  Mountain RAID at Sunday River this year (or next)?  I did it last year....it's an awesome 4mile obstacle course on the mountain.  Exhausting (and my time was terriblarious), but so fun.

My training is going well so far.  Galloway's run/walk training method really seems to work for me.  I am running three days a week right now, mostly indoors.  I will transition to more outdoor and hilly runs as the weather warms up.  I totally second your hill idea.....getting used to inclines will surely make us appreciate a flat road race!  :)

My training is basically just started. I'm doing the couch to 5k right now to get ready for the Run for your Lives run I'm going to in July.  Then also incorporating body weight exercises in as well.  It's tough and slow going, but I can handle it.

My training is basically just started. I'm doing the couch to 5k right now to get ready for the Run for your Lives run I'm going to in July.  Then also incorporating body weight exercises in as well.  It's tough and slow going, but I can handle it.

Where is your Run for Your Lives located?  I have been looking for one close enough to do but last time I checked looked like the closest was Boston.  Those races look SO fun.  :)

My training isn't going pretty well. The hills near my house are kicking my a$$ though.

Nice.  :)  I know I need more outdoors runs so that's my goal for the next couple weeks.  I live around a lot of hills so I will be right there with ya getting mu @$s kicked on them soon.

the more hills we do now the better the actual race will be because it is goign to be flatter. Unfortunatly I don't have many hills around me right now. However I am able to do a 5k (following the zombies run 5k training) in about 45 min. a little quicker If I were to not follow the program.

I'd be game Sambie! What would we call ourselves? I think we should all have NF Tshirts for it.....(not a requirement thought) Also I think we should harass invite Spezzy to show up haha

jsut finished registering for the Bands on the run! I got myself a shirt and a beer mug (gotta have somethin to celebrate with once I get back home) who else is all registered?

Anybody interested in doing Color Me Rad as a team in August??  5k in Brunswick, looks wicked fun!  :)

Sooo.... If I make it to Color Me Rad, it'll probably be as a volunteer or spectator...

But I just saw that the cover of June's Runner's World magazine features a Color Run photo - it made me think that the Brunswick 5K might sell out when people start googling for colorful races.  Also, the price goes up closer to the run.  (Current price is good until May 3.)

jsut finished registering for the Bands on the run! I got myself a shirt and a beer mug (gotta have somethin to celebrate with once I get back home) who else is all registered?

I'm registered, too!  And secretly hoping that Mr.Georges wants to drive to LA that day so I can beer at Gritty's!  (Yes, beer is a verb.  This is English; we can verb any noun we want.)

Sooo.... If I make it to Color Me Rad, it'll probably be as a volunteer or spectator...

But I just saw that the cover of June's Runner's World magazine features a Color Run photo - it made me think that the Brunswick 5K might sell out when people start googling for colorful races.  Also, the price goes up closer to the run.  (Current price is good until May 3.)

I'm registered, too!  And secretly hoping that Mr.Georges wants to drive to LA that day so I can beer at Gritty's!  (Yes, beer is a verb.  This is English; we can verb any noun we want.)

I think I'm opting not to do Color Me Rad.  I'm trying to pace myself with the race signups, or else I will have no more moolah left.  :)

Yay for verbing nouns!  Yay for Gritty's!  Their sweet potato nachos OMG can't wait to get those into my face.  :)

Wait, what?  They have sweet potato nachos??? 

Mmmmm.....

Yup, that's my most favorite dish there.  Sweet potato fries with pulled pork, cheese, etc.  SO. GOOD.

Edit:  I just checked their menu and looks like they're calling them "smoked pork fries" and it's basically the same thing as I remember, without the tomatoes, jalapenos, etc.  Still delicious though, no doubt!  :)

OH Gritties will be BEERED!!!! (I like you norb usage ya know noun and a verb=Norb) and anythign by gritties is amazing. Looks like I will be on my own most likely, the fiance is probly going to have to work that day. maybe I can convince a friend to go with me

Haven't registered yet, money is a tad bit tight right now especially with roommate moving out. 

Oddly enough never been to Gritty's, I stopped eating out about a year and a half ago so I don't get to sample as much awesome food.

OH Gritties will be BEERED!!!! (I like you norb usage ya know noun and a verb=Norb) and anythign by gritties is amazing. Looks like I will be on my own most likely, the fiance is probly going to have to work that day. maybe I can convince a friend to go with me

J is coming and I think a friend of ours might be coming along to spectate too.  And we need to make norbs a thing.  Because norbs are awesome (not to mention norb" is fun to say).  Gritty's pub mac n cheese is awesome too, but I'm steering clear of that....gluten + dairy, oh haaaaayyyls no.  They have a delicious chocolate cake too.  But yeah I've never had anything there that wasn't delicious.  

Haven't registered yet, money is a tad bit tight right now especially with roommate moving out. 

Oddly enough never been to Gritty's, I stopped eating out about a year and a half ago so I don't get to sample as much awesome food.

I hear ya, I have had to slow it down with the race signups because funds are sparse.  I hope you can sign up to run with us, but even if you can't, I hope you can come hang out and experience the Gritty's wonderment!   :)

Yup, that's my most favorite dish there.  Sweet potato fries with pulled pork, cheese, etc.  SO. GOOD.

Edit:  I just checked their menu and looks like they're calling them "smoked pork fries" and it's basically the same thing as I remember, without the tomatoes, jalapenos, etc.  Still delicious though, no doubt!   :)

Sooo now I know what I am making for dinner sometime soon... I just recently made pulled pork and have a bunch of it left over :D Seems like a respectable use for it!