• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

pwallace

Maine Meet up?!?!?!?!??!

My bf lives in Maine (north of Lewiston/Auburn area, in the middle of freaking nowhere).

Would love to attend if there's a meetup when I'm visiting him. At this point NO idea when that will be, though, since plane tickets are around $700...

Anyone have any suggestions for good hikes in centralish Maine (around Lewiston/Auburn/Jay/Turner area)?

Middle of Nowhere is about where I am, and Sambie, too.  I'm a little ashamed to admit that I don't really know much about the hiking around here, except for the AT which is less than 20 miles from me.  I know there is hiking, and I'm hoping to hit some trails this year (both before and after the snow flies!), so if I know what's what by the time you visit, I'll share info, otherwise, maybe some NF-meetup-trail-research?

BF lives in Canton, ME...

Population: less than 1000. Hiking Trails: 0, as far as I know... and wear orange if you go into anything that may resemble winlderness LOL

I've tried to use this site to find trails, but haven't found anything particularly close to him, except for Whitney Brook Trail, which looks MUCH too easy and short, BUT it's walking distance from his place, so I'll give it a try next time.

My guide for hiking. "Hey look a space between some trees and trash! Maybe it's a trail!" Fast forward to a hour or two later where I have been wandering the woods and managed to find myself on the other side of town.

Unfortunately I won't be there on Sunday. Person at work needs to go look after a sick relative and being nice I offered to take their shift tomorrow (also I need money). So unless you all are still around after 3 gonna have to wait till the next meet-up.

I will be there, aiming for either a PR or to find out how far away from a PR I am....

My DumbPhoneTM means that I won't have access to e-mail / forums.

Is there a time & place for NFers to gather?

I am traveling from 2 hours away. leaving around 4:30 so I'll get there around 6-630. possibly stopping someplace to snag some bfast before the race. any suggestions? there is Dennys right down the road that we could meet for coffee and a muffin or there is starbux. I will be rockin a NF Tshirt so I shouldn't be to hard to find

There's a Tim Horton's on the way from the highway to the parking garage (I'm hoping to park @ Chestnut St, because I'm pretty sure I can find it...).  I was figuring to stop there and steel my nerves for the city-driving portion of the drive.  Or, I could just look for the NF shirt(s?) at the packet pickup area.  I don't have one (yet, but now that I'm working....) but I will wear my Ridiculously Visible Yellow Hat.  It makes me pretty easy to see, even though I am only 5 ft tall.  (And if I can't get it back to the car before the start, it's nice and light to carry.)

So random question but what are people doing for footwear for this race? I just picked up a new pair of Vibrams that I am debating about using, I may use the new ones or my old ones I am not sure yet,

So excited for tomorrow! Ran my trainer course yesterday with a 20lb weight vest and finished in 26 minutes. Feeling optimistic about my goal of finishing in under 21 minutes.  Looking forward to meeting some new people too!

So random question but what are people doing for footwear for this race? I just picked up a new pair of Vibrams that I am debating about using, I may use the new ones or my old ones I am not sure yet,

All the real runners say never change your footwear for a race.  Have you done any running in the new Vibrams?

I'll be wearing the only shoes I have right now that I can run in- They're NB WA460SP.  I think they were sold to me as a "zumba shoe" because they have low heel-toe drop and crappy grip...

I'll be buying new ones soon(er) now that I have a job, which will be good, because my current shoes don't fit well enough for trail running :(

I used to be able to do about 5k barefoot, but I haven't been barefoot enough this season (and that city kind of gives me the heebiejeebies even with shoes...we'll be right in the neighborhood I lived in for a year).

Hey guys! I am still in, but won't be able to make an after-5K meetup because I have to head to work in the afternoon. Hopefully, I'll be able to get up there early enough to meet up with all of you at Denny's or Tim Horton's or wherever is a suitable place to meet (don't know LA all that well).

I don't have any distinctive clothing but I'll put a sign on my back that says "Mainah Rebels Unite". Should be distinctive enough. =)

I'm aiming to get to Tim Horton's at a little before 7, and then I think I'll head to the packet pickup to find people?  It's a little hard to be super-specific with times - I think pretty much every one of us is about 2 hours away from LA, just all in different directions.  I'll be the one in the neon yellow hat looking around for everyone else :)

how about we plan on meeting at tim hortons around 645-7? does anyone know if it costs anything for spectators to attend? i couldnt find anything on  website about spectator costs

Great to meet you guys today! Wish I could have stayed to meet up at Gritty's, but I'm looking forward to another Maine meet-up!

I finished 35:39. Not great, but it was nice to get out, listen to the bands and enjoy the scenery. I tweeked my knee going down that one hill (I'm sure you can guess which one), but I still had a great time!

Im ready to sign up for the Fenway spartan race! Gotta get an NF team together and make a weekend get together http://www.spartanrace.com/fenway-park-obstacle-racing-spartan-sprint-2013.html

Not sure if there is a team.   Guild leader This is Seth and I are going and will be sporting our NF shirts at least.   Will be good to see some Maineiacs down this way. 

I may have to look into tdoing this. good training for the month before a spartan.

It looks like it's going to be really fun. I only did my first 5k back in April (and my second coming up in about a week-and-a-half); I've never done an "adventure race" before. I'm totally planning to sign up, though!

Sounds interesting. Is there any more details on what the race is like (obstacles or just mud)?

I'm pretty bummed because I have to drop out of the Bradbury Mountain Trail Series due to injuries sustained in the first race, but I should be back in shape for this one.