Kanjigirl's progress reports

I'm new, I joined on Tuesday. I have yet to join some groups but will do that over the weekend - looking forward to seeing what's here.

I worked out Tuesday so I'll post that one first.

Tuesday March 26:

2.5 miles running (12:00 mile, I know, I'm slow) with another 1/2 mile walking for warmup and cooldown. Good run, practicing the zen breathing thing I read about in the latest Runner's World (in for three strides, out for two).

Did the Angry Birds workout from NF, Level 1.

Today:

I woke up really early thinking about something going on with work (I'm a web designer and developer), wrestled with one of the dogs for a few minutes before deciding to get up at 4:50 am. I sent the email I'd been debating on and went to the gym.

Ran 2 miles at 11:45/mile, plus another 1/2 mile walking for warmup and cooldown. Nice easy run with zen breathing.

Did the Angry Birds workout from NF, on Level 1 or 2 right now. I know I can't do even one pullup - what's the alternative for that?? Stretched afterwards; I've been doing deep-tissue massage on my calves with a broomstick  and have much less soreness this week.

I track both workouts and food in my phone (Gymrat for strength training, My Fitness Pal for food and cardio) so I'm not duplicating food here. But I think I'm about 180 degrees from paleo, so what I've been doing since Tuesday is dropping the amount of processed stuff I'm eating and upping the paleo parts. I'm trying to do a paleo meal every other day. 

Level 4 Human Scout

STR 7 |  DEX 4 | STA 9 | CON 8 | WIS 7 | CHA 3

Training for my first marathon. Player of WoW, occasionally, but right now, player of Skyrim. Professional web designer/developer.

Current ChallengeBattle Log | MyFitnessPal

Goals:

in the near term, I signed up for the Bolder Boulder for the end of May, it's a 10k. I have no doubt I can do it, but I do want to have a respectable time. I need to work on both speed and endurance (being a Scout).

I have a 5k on my birthday, April 14; that seemed like an excellent way to begin the day...

I've run a few half-marathons several years ago, but I have a potential secret goal for next January: the marathon at Disney World. I'm going to see how I feel in June, which would give me enough time to get my mileage up before then and begin training for it.

Level 4 Human Scout

Training for my first marathon. Player of WoW, occasionally, but right now, player of Skyrim. Professional web designer/developer.

Went to play racquetball today. Played for 30 minutes and got beaten into the floor.

I signed up for the spring league at my gym... I used to play 1-2x per week in grad school, played a little after we move here and tore my calf muscle in a game. I haven't played in about 9 years, until 2 weeks ago. I feel like my racquet should be taken away from me and set on fire because it's been dishonored by my flailing.

I can't even provide a bit of a challenge from these 'beginner' level players. I love r-ball, but I'm really frustrated. 

I wrote to the guy running the informal league and asked for help. I'm feeling a little better now because he said he'd be happy to play with me for an hour and do some coaching in a few weeks. I'd love to be able to play more competently, it's a wonderful cross-training workout.

Level 4 Human Scout

I'm not sure whether I should be running 3x per week or 4x per week - I have conflicting plans. I'm working up to a 10k at the end of May. Any suggestions? I'll post in Rangers too...

Today I didn't feel that great, so instead of a short run I went for a walk with the dogs and spousal unit. It was nice and I feel looser, so ready for a longer run tomorrow.

Level 4 Human Scout

2.75 mile road run this morning (outside!) - I was trying to apply the 3-in, 2-out zen breathing technique which I can do fine in the gym, but outside I was having a really hard time with it. Felt like by the time I got to 3 I couldn't inhale any more. Kept reverting to 2-2. I'll practice this.

Level 4 Human Scout

Thanks - I've been stuck around 12 minute miles for a while and I'd love to increase my speed a little. It's a goal of mine to do the Bolder Boulder in May at 11.75. I'm not sure if I'll get there or not, but anything below 12 would make me a happy camper.

Level 4 Human Scout

Thanks terrormortus!

Off yesterday.

This morning I ran 2 miles on the treadmill, at 11:75 most of the way. It was a good run... this afternoon I've got a racquetball league match.

The weather's going to be great for the next 3-4 days, like high 60's. I'll try to fit in an easy outdoor run before the long one sunday - if it feels good.

Level 4 Human Scout

Off yesterday.

Today it had rained early and was a bit warmer. I did about 3 miles on the trail (paved) near my house, and tried out the new foot pod for my Garmin 210. I like being able to see a more accurate pace, pretty cool. It was humid and I got hot enough to take off the jacket - felt better after that, but I need to run more outside; it's definitely a lot harder for me than the 'mill.

Getting ready for a 5K next Sunday - I'll try to do at least one soft trail run this week (and need to replace these shoes).

Level 4 Human Scout

I've been slacking the last few days. We had our carpet replaced - I had no idea it would be so mentally disruptive, not to mention the packing like we were moving and the 14 hour days. We still have many boxes to unload, but happily I got to move my home office into a bigger and better space - I'm sitting here at a new desk looking out the window. Awesome.

I do play racquetball for the league this afternoon so my slacking is over. And on Sunday I'm running a 5K for my birthday.

Level 4 Human Scout

Did a birthday 5k this morning - 37:33, very happy with that considering the 40mph wind gusts and 40F temp. A good start to the day, and ready to begin my first challenge tomorrow. 

Level 4 Human Scout

After switching over to the Galloway beginner marathon training plan about a month ago, I'm finally in synch after yesterday's 15-mile run. That was the longest run I've ever done, and I felt really good until about mile 12, started getting tired around 13. It was hard, but not ridiculously hard (not as hard as the 10-mile race I did last week where I started way too fast and finished last). 

Feeling good about the marathon.

Level 4 Human Scout