Annoying comments you hear all the time

"Wow, you really don't talk much, do you?" Or "You're really quiet." In an accusatory tone.

This usually occurs after the outgoing girl or guy with the mentality of "I'm going to help that poor quiet awkward girl feel comfortable by engaging her in conversation, that's all she needs" fails in their attempts at getting me to say more than "yeah" or "nah". I'm just not much of a talker.

I once had a lab where the guy working next to me would ask me questions rapid fire: "You're really quiet aren't you? Where are you from? When's your birthday? Why are you so quiet? What do we do now? What lab is this? What do you do for fun? Do you have any friends? Where do you work? Why don't you talk?" I dreaded going to that lab everyday. Stressed me out  :neglected:

"Wow, you really don't talk much, do you?" Or "You're really quiet." In an accusatory tone.

This usually occurs after the outgoing girl or guy with the mentality of "I'm going to help that poor quiet awkward girl feel comfortable by engaging her in conversation, that's all she needs" fails in their attempts at getting me to say more than "yeah" or "nah". I'm just not much of a talker.

I once had a lab where the guy working next to me would ask me questions rapid fire: "You're really quiet aren't you? Where are you from? When's your birthday? Why are you so quiet? What do we do now? What lab is this? What do you do for fun? Do you have any friends? Where do you work? Why don't you talk?" I dreaded going to that lab everyday. Stressed me out  :neglected:

I know what you mean. Maybe you should carry a few pamphlets with you explaining how to approach (or not) an introvert.

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Ugh, sometimes it sucks to be an introvert/shy.  In middle school, I had a new arch enemy every year just because I didn't talk much.  I got a lot of girls coming up to me trying to be nice, sometimes mockingly, sometimes not, but it was always annoying.

I've had a few people say that they've hated me, when I'd barely ever spoken to them.  When I pointed this out to them, they told me that's why they hated me.  What?!

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 - DEX 2.25 - STA 4.5 - CON 5.5 - WIS 6 - CHA 6

Introduction

Previous Battle Log     Current Battle Log

First Challenge     Previous Challenge     Current Challenge

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

What do we say to the god of failure?  NOT TODAY.

it has nothing to do with you.

It's a personal feeling about ones state of being. 

I feel fat- and well... I'm not. And I know when i say that I feel fat- it offends some people- and some people REALLY get upset about it- hell I did it to my roommate/best friend many moons ago- she was gripping about feeling fat (she's 30 lbs lighter than me) and I was like SERIOUSLY ENOUGH.  You're making me feel REALLY AWFUL.  

I guess there is a difference between functioning/wallow in that mental state of being -and just saying- god I feel fat today.  and then moving on with your life. 

Everyone has fat days- it's reality.  I can understand both sides- but as I've grown up- I have come to realize- my feelings are my own- and when I unloaded on my roommate for making me feel like  a fat ass- I was partially wrong. As a friend she should have been more attentive to the fact I have had times where I struggled with accepting my weight... just as much as she struggled with NOT having a beer.  it's a give and take- but ultimately I think we need to be adults and realize our feelings our our own- and theirs are their's. 

I tend to understand both sides, myself.  Everything's relative in the end.  Still, if someone's telling you to stop saying your fat, they're not just envious or offended, they may also be worried.  I've had that feeling myself.  I agree that everybody has their own feelings, and they make sense to them, but take people's words with a grain of salt.  You could even take it as a compliment, and that could help you get through those "fat" days.  Remember to step back and think, and evaluate if feeling fat makes sense and if trying to get skinnier would be healthy.  Like you said, feel it and move on.

On the other hand, if someone's saying they feel fat (even if they're lighter/skinnier than you), take their feelings into account and take stock of your own.  Are you worried about their health?  Or are you just upset that you're not as skinny as they are?  Even if you are legitimately worried about them, you can't just go shouting at them.  You have to be cautious how you handle the situation, or you'll just end up pushing them away and not helping them.  If you're not worried like that, you still may have a legitimate case for being upset (like they keep harping on it day and day out like that), but again take stock of the situation.

In other words, think before you speak.  Seriously.  We're not perfect, we're gonna say stupid things, but at least try your best - that's all anyone can ever ask.

Level 3 Human Assassin

Introduction

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

Ugh, sometimes it sucks to be an introvert/shy.  In middle school, I had a new arch enemy every year just because I didn't talk much.  I got a lot of girls coming up to me trying to be nice, sometimes mockingly, sometimes not, but it was always annoying.

I've had a few people say that they've hated me, when I'd barely ever spoken to them.  When I pointed this out to them, they told me that's why they hated me.  What?!

That's because their baseline was different than yours they assume anything less than baseline social interaction means you're angry with them.  If you see someone you know out in public and don't go out of your way to say "Hi" to them, instead of thinking your a quiet person who is uncomfortable with meaningless small talk, they'll assume you're mad at them, or that you are an asshole.

Cracked had a nice visual for this. 

Extroverts 

96448.jpg?v=1

Introverts

96447.jpg?v=1

It is a miscommunication of body language. 

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

That's because their baseline was different than yours they assume anything less than baseline social interaction means you're angry with them.  If you see someone you know out in public and don't go out of your way to say "Hi" to them, instead of thinking your a quiet person who is uncomfortable with meaningless small talk, they'll assume you're mad at them, or that you are an asshole.

Cracked had a nice visual for this. 

Extroverts 

96448.jpg?v=1

Introverts

96447.jpg?v=1

It is a miscommunication of body language. 

That's pretty much hitting the nail on the head there.

My "thinking" face is kind of a glare, and since I don't like small talk and think a lot people tend to think I'm mad most of the time. I've found honest communication is the best policy. Usually if you tell someone that you don't talk a lot so don't be offended if you're quiet they understand. 

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

That's pretty much hitting the nail on the head there.

My "thinking" face is kind of a glare, and since I don't like small talk and think a lot people tend to think I'm mad most of the time. I've found honest communication is the best policy. Usually if you tell someone that you don't talk a lot so don't be offended if you're quiet they understand. 

Yeah, that's mostly true. I do that too, my neutral face gives the impression that something's wrong. Most people will give up after a while or understand the situation, but occasionally...you get those who are determined to befriend you. Which is nice of them, but uh...excuse me while I hyperventilate in the hall.

I had something like that happen. A girl, who I had never talked to, in my class spread a rumor that I smoked weed in the school bathroom. Because she thought it was weird that I never talked. I don't understand people all that well, I don't why someone would hate you for being introverted :blink:

Yeah, that's mostly true. I do that too, my neutral face gives the impression that something's wrong. Most people will give up after a while or understand the situation, but occasionally...you get those who are determined to befriend you. Which is nice of them, but uh...excuse me while I hyperventilate in the hall.

Yeah those people tend to be annoying. That's when I ACTUALLY glare at them and tell them to go away.

Something like this?

introvert.american-apparel-unisex-fitted

Haha, nice. I like XKCD's shy t-shirt (here is a link as the image comes out enormous) but it kinda tends to backfire.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Apparently when I"m in my own head, or in a hurry, I get a really sour face. I've been working on it to improve in the workforce but I always seem to slip back when I'm not being conscious of it. All of my friends are used to it or have the same problems themselves but it makes meeting people awkward.

Starting weight: 195    Now weight: 160

A past will chase you if you try to escape from it, but once you confront it, it's just an old memory inside you.

wooo human bowling

on the introvet thing, "What's wrong, are you depressed, angry?" just because I'm doing stuff around the house and haven't said anything other than two word answers in the last two hours doesn't mean anything is wrong.

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

wooo human bowling

on the introvet thing, "What's wrong, are you depressed, angry?" just because I'm doing stuff around the house and haven't said anything other than two word answers in the last two hours doesn't mean anything is wrong.

This. Or two days.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk 4

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

<Cartoon>

I found this cartoon explains things very well for me!

Especially the "Just because someone is introverted doesn't mean they don't like company."

There's a big difference between the two, and not everyone gets that.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Especially the "Just because someone is introverted doesn't mean they don't like company."

There's a big difference between the two, and not everyone gets that.

Strangely, unlike in the cartoon, I'm an introvert who feeds off company.  I love crowds, I love being around people.  I just don't necessarily want to talk a lot unless the subject is something I care about.

So, in other words, there's many different kinds of people.  Yup.

Level 3 Human Assassin

Introduction

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

People watching is interesting.  It isn't so much being around other people, for me, it is interacting with them.  Having to be 'on' takes effort.  Which generally isn't a big deal.  But if I have to be on for a long period of time, in an especially awkward situation, or every day for a week or so I need to just withdraw and be alone because I am utterly drained. 

Working as a salesman was one of the worst jobs I ever had, and somehow I was good at it... but it just left me feeling dead.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

Strangely, unlike in the cartoon, I'm an introvert who feeds off company.  I love crowds, I love being around people.  I just don't necessarily want to talk a lot unless the subject is something I care about.

So, in other words, there's many different kinds of people.  Yup.

That would make you an ambivert. A little known yet widespread type of people who are somewhere between extrovert and introvert. Like many other things, extroversion and introversion are on a sliding scale.

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.