Annoying comments you hear all the time

Whenever I hear about easy payments, I always hear Mitch Hedberg:  "I would like to have a product that was available for three easy payments, and one fuckin' complicated payment! We ain't gonna tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is gonna be a bitch. The mailman will get shot to death, the envelope will not seal, and the stamp will be in the wrong denomination; good luck, fucker! The last payment must be made in wampum!"

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I've been getting this one A LOT.  People at work, or who I haven't seen for a while, will stop and ask me "What are you doing? I'd do anything to be able to lose weight like you have!"

When I tell them I've cut out processed foods and sugars, and lift heavy weights, they inevitably say the same thing: "Well, I couldn't do THAT..."  Really?  I thought you just said you'd do anything? 

I find their responses bizarre.  Like they expected me to say "I'm taking this magic pill, available for 3 easy payments of $9.99!"

If I get a dollar for every time I hear "I would do anything" followed by "I couldn't do THAT" I would be retiring as a millionaire. People don't get that it's all a result of hard work. I also like to hear that "You are so lucky" one. UGHHHH! 

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

He's a home town boy.  I was so glad I got to catch him at his last performance here.  

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

If I get a dollar for every time I hear "I would do anything" followed by "I couldn't do THAT" I would be retiring as a millionaire. People don't get that it's all a result of hard work. I also like to hear that "You are so lucky" one. UGHHHH! 

We have a friend who's known for her quote "Down for whatever.". She's recently not been living up to that saying (we assume because she's approaching 30, we all are), and we now reply, "You mean down for most things?".

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I got tired of the " Oh I couldn't do it" response from people, so I started being just cutting out the middle man.

"How did you do it?"

"Oh, it took months of hard work, training, running, biking, and a complete loss of self to bring me here. You don't have it in you."

Haha, harsh but probably true. I will keep that answer in mind.

pre-Assassin

Twitter

I live in Upstate NY  so when I hear "Oh it's to cold/chilly to go out today" I just want to ask them "You don't go outside for 6-7 months out of the year?" Put on a friggin jacket and a hat and go get some fresh air

Yes today at lunch time it was upper 40's with wind so it felt like it was in the upper 30's, but that's balmy compared to what we get in mid-winter

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

80% didn't want to hear it. I'd be told either "I could never do that.". 

I got that one today!  Twice, actually - one from a friend who watches what he eats a bit, occasionally complains about his weight, but overall isn't bothered enough by it to change, and one from a friend who's entirely accepted that she's not going to be fit/athletic, and is totally fine with the life she's living and the body she's living it in.

Interesting note, though - both responses had a little bit of "wow, this one's a bit crazy" in them.

Just saying.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Haha, harsh but probably true. I will keep that answer in mind.

I did that once.

"Wow, that's pretty impressive! What did you do?"

"Seriously revamped my diet, way less sugar, way more vegetables, and stuck with my workout and running regimen."

"Nice.  I could never do that."

"I know."

"HEY!"

"What? You said it.  I was just agreeing."

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Kinda of related to the above, but I've been getting a lot of....shall we say resistance from some of my friends. While admittedly, I do end up talking about the gym and eating healthier, et cetera a lot, I'm starting to get annoyed that my attempts to change my life for the better is seemingly annoying those close to me.

I've been called obnoxious when I start talking about lifting, sticking to my new way of eating, my serious goals of crossing things off my "kick the bucket" list, and my desire to push/challenge myself to learn some new things.

I know a lot of us have had those kind of reactions, but still very annoying nonetheless

That being said, I always offer complete support to anyone making an attempt, but not until they start themselves. If you start the run, I will run beside you till my feet bleed, but I, you, we can't take that first step for anyone. 

Same here. Though most times you can tell immediately who just wants to whine and who really is interested. However, the latter is very rare.

I did that once.

"Wow, that's pretty impressive! What did you do?"

"Seriously revamped my diet, way less sugar, way more vegetables, and stuck with my workout and running regimen."

"Nice.  I could never do that."

"I know."

"HEY!"

"What? You said it.  I was just agreeing."

Hehe.

pre-Assassin

Twitter

sigh.... there is this one tech here at work that EVERY time I see him asks me "do you always have such posture?" to which I usually respond "yes"

so last night when I saw him he asked "do you have a rod shoved up your butt? were you millitary? why do you have such good posture?"

dude... shut up!!

another one...

co worker "you're eating AGAIN!? how do you eat so much? I could never eat that much?! I would weigh 400 pounds if I ate like you!"

me: "yes I am eating again. I am hungry."

her "how can you eat so much?"

which with THIS coworker lead to a good conversation about how healthy food has less calories and BMR and how because I was eating better nutrition I could eat more food and still lose weight... and THIS coworker was pretty cool about it and was asking good questions and actually learning so it was neat to teach her about stuff.... usually it's more annoying :(

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

So, I'm a fast eater....always have been, and have heard every kind of comment over the years:

"Did you taste it?"

"Did you chew any of it?"

"Wow...you inhaled that!"

"Woh...you must have been hungry!"

and on and on...

Ah,  yes!  I eat very quickly as well... it doesn't cause me to eat more because I do stop when I should, I just end up sitting around watching everyone else eat for 10 more minutes.  One of my co-workers says to me literally EVERY SINGLE DAY "wow you inhaled your lunch already?".  You'd think after so many years people would get used to it.

Another one of my favorites is people giving the "compliment" of "oh you don't have to lose weight/diet/exercise/etc".  Just because I don't look overweight doesn't mean I'm not. Also even if I wasn't... I'm sorry I want to be healthy? How about a "oh good luck" or a "good for you"?  I don't understand how discouraging someone from trying to improve themselves has somehow turned into how to compliment people these days.

@Vella @FalseAesop @RisenPheonix and all the others talking about calorie counting:

A close friend was trying to lose weight so I recommended counting calories and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.  How is this such a foreign or offensive or impossible concept to people? It's not that hard.  I guess being honest with yourself is the hardest part, which so many people don't want to face up to, and being confronted with someone who has makes them uncomfortable?

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that 'calorie counting' has been associated with people who obsess unhealthily about how much weight they gain or lose, diets consisting a lettuce leaf and a good breath of air for breakfast, a carrot and some water for lunch and wishful thinking for dinner, and otherwise counting only to unhealthily small numbers for weight loss.

Also, it is kind of a lot of work - you need to take down everything you eat, write it down, do some maths, and you need to do it at least three times a day, more if you snack.  I think that intimidates a lot of people.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I find it easier to ask if they could cut back on Facebook by 10% and use that time to do some pushups, because when you die, will you wish you had done 10,000 more pushups, or seen more kittens? 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that 'calorie counting' has been associated with people who obsess unhealthily about how much weight they gain or lose, diets consisting a lettuce leaf and a good breath of air for breakfast, a carrot and some water for lunch and wishful thinking for dinner, and otherwise counting only to unhealthily small numbers for weight loss.

Also, it is kind of a lot of work - you need to take down everything you eat, write it down, do some maths, and you need to do it at least three times a day, more if you snack.  I think that intimidates a lot of people.

I think that is it.

I use my phone- and it literally takes maybe 10 minutes of my time.

I also weigh all my food and people think that's crazy obssessive- funny because most people who cook- put stuff in tupperwear for lunch- some do it the same day- some the night before- some do it when they cook.

I do it when I cook- only I put my tupper wear on a scale and I have the EXACT same tupperwear- so I can weigh all my food out faster than most people can put their food away.

it's just not THAT. hard. 

but being honest with one's self...

and realizing counting isn't just for the obsessed-

also- you don't have to WRITE it all- I used to think I needed to write down everything- back w/o the smart phone- not there is literally no excuse why it can't be done other than " I don't want to"

Oh, true, it's not that hard.  I'm doing it old school because my phone is being a jerk and not connecting to the internet, so I can't get an app right now, and it's *still* not that hard for me.  I weigh/measure food from recipes anyway; it's not that difficult to add a couple of seconds into my routine.

But it's still a lot more thought than a lot of people are used to putting into their food, and for someone who hasn't really thought it through, it can seem pretty daunting.

Yes, there's no excuse other than "I don't want to", but for the mind conditioned to be afraid of trying, that's often the hardest part to get through.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Yeah some people definitely obsess, and beat themselves up over the tiniest of errors because numbers don't lie, and it's easier to hate on yourself on a solid fact like that.  I get that, hell i've caught myself almost doing it a few times.  I just wish others wouldn't think I'm crazy when I tell them I'm watching my calories.  If you say you're watching your weight, or your figure, or whatever people don't bat an eyelash.  Throw the word "calories" out there and people start to get defensive and weird.